If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2020-06-04 08:08:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've taken a liking to Dragonar Academy's OP.

I still doubt I'll actually watch the show, particularly since I've already tried twice, but I still like the song.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @fourteenwings y'know, I'm curious, since you think of music very differently from how i think of music...

How would you describe my tastes in music, based on what you know of them? Like, if you had to tell someone else my tastes, what would you say I like? Be as specific as you want.
  • edited 2020-06-04 08:31:17
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I just hope you guys won't suddenly turn out to be on opposite sides of music theory as well.

(Edit: it might prove curious to watch though.)
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Actually it's pretty simple! GMH's taste is eclectic, but very much focused on real instrumentation. If you give him EDM sounds, basic electronica or ripping guitars, he'll quickly back away.

I call it eclectic because he doesn't really focus on individual artists unless they really, really catch his eye. He hosts a collection of songs, rather than a curation of artists like I tend to do.
  • edited 2020-06-05 00:36:50
    Actually it's pretty simple! GMH's taste is eclectic, but very much focused on real instrumentation. If you give him EDM sounds, basic electronica or ripping guitars, he'll quickly back away.
    I'm rather quite surprised at this because recently someone asked "what's your favorite OP/ED songs?" and I started rattling off a list that included a number of trancepop songs (the Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle OP is a recent addition), and I was like "maybe I should think of some more non-trancepop songs to include".

I think I started taking a liking to techno/trance/EDM sometime in high school but I just never really indulged that further until recent years when I finally started to learn some genre names for the music I listen to. ("Anisong" is not a real genre name.)

As for "ripping guitars", they're a common presence in the pop (including trancepop) that I listen to, though I find that I don't usually seek them out specifically.
    I call it eclectic because he doesn't really focus on individual artists unless they really, really catch his eye. He hosts a collection of songs, rather than a curation of artists like I tend to do.
    Yeah I'm definitely less likely to become attached to an artist and my attachments are to the songs (and to a lesser extent, the albums).
  • edited 2020-06-05 00:36:24
    Actually...since you do know artists better than I do...what artists would you suggest I check out?

• Something about the urban chic guerrilla fighter look of Arknights' characters make them appropriate for EDM videos.

Well, they don't make me expect triumphant orchestral music or anything like that.
    Zenonzard has made me more than sure that EDM music makes for poor soundtracks. In fact, I think I'm going full circle back to disliking most EDM.
    Actually...since you do know artists better than I do...what artists would you suggest I check out?

uhhhhh... you like TRUE, so why not more TRUE? I recommend her Slime ED, Another colony, along with it's B-side, Namae wo nai Kuufuku

Have you ever heard Codama Saori's Mitakansei Stride? That whole single is pretty worth it. Especially Cinema Sky (the third track).

I posted Utsuroi by TrySail in one of the threads here recently, and I think that's a song you would like a lot. It's the B-side to their Magia Record OP, Gomakashi, but I think it was also released digitally.

Have you ever heard callme? They're like, a groove-jazz-lounge version of Perfume with a light digital hand. They aren't associated with the anison scene, but I love their stuff. Some of their best songs include step by step and Hello No Buddy.

As always, I think you need more ChouCho in your life. Try her second album, secretgarden, or her compilation/collection, bouquet. bouquet itself is one of her best songs.

I also recommend the OP and ED to Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalite. resonant heart by Uchida Maaya, and Xenotopia by Suzuki Minori. They've been on my mind quite a bit lately.

I know you haven't seen Accel World, but I guess you could always give Chase the world by May'n a try. However, I actually recommend the B-side, Hikari, much more. I also recommend ViViD, which was the OP to Blood Lad. It's such an oddly set-up song, yet it perfectly espouses strange, rock leanings.

yanaginagi is also always a great bet, some of her best songs include Kazakiri, Zoetrope, yukitoki and tokohana. I also want your opinion on her song Jikan wa Mado no Mokougawa. I have a feeling you wouldn't like it.

Aaaaaand that's it for now!
  • I'm not gonna be satisfied in my pursuit until I get a beautifully obnoxious EDM death game.
    It's probably bad that it took me looking up my music library to remember that TRUE is the artist of the OP for UBC. Looks like I've run across her album Around the TRUE; hopefully it features songs composed by the same folks.

I know of TrySail from one of the Beatless EDs, though I don't think it really impressed me much.

I realized I forgot to put Yanagi Nagi's "tokohana" on my list of jpop/anime songs I like. Thanks for reminding me. I know that song as the ED for Black Bullet, and I think it has a very fitting tragic quality in its use of harmony. This serves as a good bookend alongside the OP, with its dark intro and verse tonality choice and its richly pathos-filled refrain.

Conveniently "Jikan wa Mado no Mokougawa" seems to be on her album natte. *takes a listen*
    First impressions: ...it didn't really leave much of a first impression? The verse sorta started off interestingly but as the song went on I sorta just lost focus on it. I think the way it uses its jazzy harmonizations and rhythms gives it a casually stylish feel which isn't really my thing, kinda feeling like there's not much for me to "hang my heart on". Though it doesn't irk my tastes enough for me to hate it.

In turn, let me guess...do you like this song? My guess is that you do.

(Also I'm surprised you don't associate me with EDM, given how many fripSide songs I like. Black Bullet's OP, "black bullet", is one example; probably my favorite amongst all of them and almost certainly one of my top-tier favorites is "fortissimo -the ultimate crisis-", which is basically an even stronger strain of that pathos I was talking about. Others include "late in autumn" (which for me has a somewhat similar vibe as ChouCho's "Andante", probably because they share the same key and some chord progressions), "Heaven is a Place on Earth", and both OPs from the original Railgun series.)

(*listens to "black bullet" again*)
    (holy crap how did i not notice this before? the refrain after the bridge comes back in F# minor but ends up adding a final chord after its usual subtonic E major chord, adding a D major chord, which sounds a little odd as far as its direction goes within F# minor...but it actually is the dominant of the song's main key, G minor! which it segues right into after a brief pause)

I remember seeing the album name secretgarden but I know I've run across color of time, which I know because "Andante" is on it. Is "bouquet" on there?

And are May'n's "Chase the world" and "Hikari" and "ViViD" on her album PEACE of SMILE?
    I know of TrySail from one of the Beatless EDs

Speaking of those, I think PRIMALove could have been a much better song without the wobbling sound that's present at the end of some of the verses, it's just too light a concept for that song.
    Also I'm surprised you don't associate me with EDM

fripSide are not EDM, they're techno. EDM might have meant something before Western pop music redefined it, but that's no longer it.

EDM is like; ZEDD, Jonas Blue, R3HAB, Marshmello, Alan Walker, etc. It's really specific.

bouquet is not on color of time, it's a special song for the compilation album. Two of the May'n songs are on her album NEW WORLD, but Hikari isn't on it.
    In turn, let me guess...do you like this song? My guess is that you do.

I really like that song! It's really cute-in-a-mature-way and sophisticated! Like, jazzy Cyua.
    fripSide are not EDM, they're techno. EDM might have meant something before Western pop music redefined it, but that's no longer it.

EDM is like; ZEDD, Jonas Blue, R3HAB, Marshmello, Alan Walker, etc. It's really specific.

I was concerned that I may be goofing on genre terminology again, but Wikipedia says otherwise:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    By the early 2010s, the term "electronic dance music" and the initialism "EDM" was being pushed by the American music industry and music press in an effort to rebrand American rave culture.[3] Despite the industry's attempt to create a specific EDM brand, the initialism remains in use as an umbrella term for multiple genres, including dance-pop, house, techno, trance, drum and bass, dubstep, and trap, as well as their respective subgenres.[4][5][6]

I can guess that there may be a meaningful distinction to be mad between "music made for dancing at clubs" vs. "music made for anime OPs/EDs", the latter probably involving, say, more harmonic changes and more melodic content, though elements have been shared enough between the two that it's useful to be able to distinguish J-pop/anime songs that make heavy use of elements from various EDM genres and songs that don't.

As for this alleged redefinition by the American music industry, I'm not sure which way it cuts.
    Despite the industry's attempt to create a specific EDM brand, the initialism remains in use as an umbrella term for multiple genres

Sure, written by music nerds Wikipedia, sure.

Also how did I forget The Chainsmokers. Those guys are the original dudebros. Like the Logan and Jake Paul of music.
    I have yet to figure out who Logan and Jake Paul are.
  • edited 2020-06-06 05:11:58
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Logan and Jake Paul are YouTube dudebros who do a lot of dumb things. Jake Paul was a (supporting?) star on the Disney Channel TV series Bizaardvark, which I've seen quite a lot of. I like the seasons with him best.

He was fired in the middle of season 2 for a Paul-brothers related event (PBRE). Logan Paul was also almost banned from Youtube for a PBRE involving the Japanese suicide forest in Tokyo. This was surprising, considering they did and continue to do things that are just about as bad that nobody cares about.

Also, I think Jake Paul once almost started a cult except instead of a grand vision he just wanted to control fellow YouTubers and have affairs with their girlfriends.
    > a lot of dumb thinks

Okay, I'll finally bother asking.

I've seen "think" used where I'd expect "thing" a bunch of times and I should probably ask, is this a misspelling of "thing", or some sort of jargon/slang that I don't know about?
    In addition to Yanagi Nagi's "tokohana", to my list of J-pop/anime songs I like I also added the following:
    * May'n - "Scarlet Ballet"
    * Supercell - "My Dearest"
    * "Youkoso Japari Park e"
  • fortissimo the Ultimate Crisis is just about the most conventionally heroic thing I've heard from fripside, even counting Nanjo's own Symphogear material. It's far from the distorted vworp vworp nonsense I associate with Japanese EDM (which is mainly Vocaloid producers).

I've seen "think" used where I'd expect "thing" a bunch of times and I should probably ask, is this a misspelling of "thing", or some sort of jargon/slang that I don't know about?

It's secret jargon you don't know about, kuh-learly. Should've joined the club when you had the chance.

I typed so much yesterday I wonder how I didn't make ten times the amount of typos I did.

Anyways, Jake Paul was recently arrested for looting in relation to current goings on, which I should mention since we discussed him.

He also released music at one point but I'm not going around searching for that.
    * "Youkoso Japari Park e"

This was one of those songs I never minded but was also glad to never hear again once Kemono Friends was over.

The ED, Boku no Friend, is great though.
  • edited 2020-06-06 05:35:30
    hm...lemme test something

What is your opinion of this song? And why?

I would never listen to this song on purpose ever again.

However, I think the song is really great. The arrangement is technically brilliant, the singer is very talented, and her interpretation of the lyrics is masterful.
    I would never listen to this song on purpose ever again.
    ...why not? Dislike the song, or just indifferent in an uninterested manner?
    Latter.

Oh I like this game, what do you think of:

• edited 2020-06-06 06:15:33
    That is a pretty nice song. Thanks for sharing it. Ended up listening to it twice in a row.

Did you expect me to like it?
    Do you like it yourself?
    I really, really like it.

I didn't expect anything, really, I just wanted to share it.
    Hey, are you familiar with the song "Strobo Nights"?

Also, I just added the Dragonar Academy OP to my list.
  • edited 2020-06-06 07:41:16
    I ran across a nice song in B-flat minor earlier, probably while listening to artists you mentioned, but I can't find it again...

Edit: found it. It was from before that. It's "Tsumibito", the second track on the "My Dearest" single.
  • edited 2020-06-06 19:37:14
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dgck3IVHo
    > This is EDM. Or, at the very least, it has a lot of EDM elements.
    [this reply moved to the other thread]

I think I know what you mean now; this is like much more stereotypical club dance music, such as in its choice of backing alto rhythm and the way it uses its electronic backbeat.

Now that I think about it, perhaps you think I'm not really into this specific sort of EDM because of a combination of factors: (1) even though I'm more likely to like the genre more than, say, rock, it's still somewhat hit-or-miss for me, and (2) there's a second factor going on which is actually something I think I particularly was able to pinpoint using our recent conversation.

I think I have more of a taste for...I'm not sure how to call it, but I'd call it "directness". A very simple song -- like "Down By the Sally Gardens" as sung by Orla Fallon, or many of Ritsuko Okazaki's songs -- can show this effectively, but it's actually a quality of the melody, harmony, and rhythm, and it can be present in a song that's far more texturally complex, such as "fortissimo -the ultimate crisis-".

I'm not sure if this is what Naas means by "heroic".

This quality is something I'd use words like "this song speaks very directly to me". I am not entirely sure but I think this generally means a strong, memorable melody, harmonies that make judicious use of progressions (or pieces thereof) that use forward momentum in progressions that are rooted in a predominant-to-dominant-to-tonic sense (typically IV V I or ii V I, but IV V vi can count too), and usually but not necessarily rhythms with less syncopation. The overall effect is that the song, to me, feels more "earnest" with its emotional meaning.

And this is something that tends to cut through/across the various textural elements of genres. By this I mean the kinds of instruments used, and the rhythmic motifs, and such. Like, you know how you can go "this sounds like dubstep" really readily even to a small bit of music? Yeah, basically, the stuff can "resonate with my soul" isn't that.

(This is probably why, for many years, I never was able to figure out what my favorite genre was -- it's because what appealed to me just showed up inconsistently in many genres.)

Anyhow, this isn't a thing that appeals as much to you, in contrast.

Meanwhile, I think you're more attentive to those textural details, and specifically you also like those textural details that I'd call "stylish". They're often richer textures, with more of (within consistency limits) these textural details that suggest a given style.

Contrast our opinions of "Jikan wa Mado no Mokougawa":
    me: 'I think the way it uses its jazzy harmonizations and rhythms gives it a casually stylish feel which isn't really my thing, kinda feeling like there's not much for me to "hang my heart on".'
    you: "I really like that song! It's really cute-in-a-mature-way and sophisticated!"
    I think we're noticing the same style elements, but while to me they're sorta the window dressing, to you they're the main attraction.

Anyhow, the reason I don't seem to like the specific strain of EDM you're talking about much is that nowadays I don't typically seek it out specifically (anisong has a higher "hit rate" for me than it), and what I do hear of it a good portion is from you, while you pick them based on your own preferences, which results in a good amount of "misses" since you're focused on a different set of elements in the music.
  • edited 2020-06-06 19:53:47
    Sidenote: when I describe something as "wholesome" it's sort of a sub-strain of that feeling of "directness". That particular rendition of "Down by the Sally Gardens" is something I'd consider "wholesome". So is part of the verse of "Presenter", the ending theme of Dog Days.

I'm not precisely sure what causes me to feel this yet. It may have something to do with using diatonic notes (where I might expect chromatic notes), along with strong-direction chord progressions. This feature is definitely shared with things like traditional European church hymns.

Meanwhile, Kemono Friends the show is wholesome, but not quite the OP, which is too jazzy and party-ish, though the end of the song feels a little like that.

BTW if any of you want me to explain or demonstrate any of the music theory terms I've used, let me know, and I can set up a time to play you something on the piano and transmit it over Mumble with live commentary.
  • I'm not sure if this is what Naas means by "heroic".

Well, fortissimo doesn't have weird and harsh noises that come across like they're interrupting the vocals, so the individual elements all carry through.

Contrast with like, the Ignite remixes in Symphogear GX, where it's like the vocals are getting interrupted by random sound effects at times. (This was the first thing I thought of for EDM traits not working with heroic themes)