If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2020-04-15 01:05:55
    Funny you say that, I just learned these breadboards are called that because in the old days people made electrical circuits by hammering nails onto literal breadboards then wiring them up to electrical components.
  • edited 2020-04-15 15:55:57
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    That sounds really cool!

I acquired a Capsule Chix doll... gacha machine thing. It was bigger than the boxes for my MCX American Girl sets, but contained much less. All of my capsules got stuck in the machine one way or another, and the doll I ended up with is very haphazard (every piece is randomized). She kind of looks like a candy robot streetwalker, but so did a lot of the best Bratz dolls (except the robot part). However, I don't think I can effectively say I've written them off just yet.

I mean, I don't like how incredibly shiny the heads are. I held her up to one of my Off the Hook dolls and Off the Hook Jenni looked incredibly, wonderfully matte next to her. However, Jenni is also painfully static and this girl is wonderfully expressive. Before you ask, yes her hands are stuck like that until I get another.

According to my guide/fashion magazine thing, the tights are supposed to be much darker. That would probably help dampen the racy factor of the outfit, but I actually kind of like them the more nude (well, they are, even if her skin is purple).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    A curious thing about fourteenwings' and my argument in the U.S. politics thread is that it's basically my only active internet argument about politics. I've had occasional run-ins with pro-Sanders-anti-Biden folks and pro-Biden-anti-Sanders folks (amusingly, both of them, in different places, but almost at the same time), but I've spent far more time arguing about nonpolitical things.

Like there's this one jerk on MAL who likes flaming me for whatever. Mostly being ridiculously defensive about his favored ecchi and harem genres and also having a bone to pick with me for whatever reason, probably from the last time he got banned.

Also, arguing with people about the Steam client UI, because every time someone posts a good suggestion to improve it someone else just has to waltz in as a detractor.
    And speaking of that I wonder if I should just come up with some sort of informal rule for myself that I just stop bothering once I go past like 3 replies or something.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Sure, GMH, sure.
    pro-Biden-anti-Sanders folks

Glad to know somebody in the world is actively posting pro-Biden things on the internet.
    Much like with LEGO, I find that I have many MCX updates to make, but I feel like starting a thread just for that would be a little like duplication (though as everybody knows LEGO and Mega Construx building blocks are extremely different and not the same at all).

I also find that, outside of the Inventions Wheels pack, I've got every MCX set I could want, so I wonder how much longer till I cave and start getting back into LEGO.
    The next-door neighbors are loudly sexing again.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Ask them if you can join.

I remember a story of too sexy neighbours that I read on the internet one day. All the other neighbours gathered under their window and started enthusiastically cheering when they reached the climax. After that, either the insatiables found themselves satiated for good, or learned to stay a little more quiet.
  • edited 2020-04-18 01:54:13
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Was briefly describing the regulars here for someone. Just noticed I'm the only (U.S.) American among the current regulars here lol.
  • edited 2020-04-18 06:52:30
    I think that even before the majority of people left we had more Australians than U.S.-Americans.
    Ask them if you can join.

For some reason I see this as a reply in some tongue-in-cheek visual novel.

Or one of those visual novels where you don't want anybody glancing over your shoulder when you play it.

The Capsule Chix collection boasts of over 400 pieces across series 1. However, each box contains "15+" pieces, as in, each doll is at least made up of 15 pieces. This includes things like forearms and upper arms being counted separately.

That means at most there are 27ish complete looks across series 1, and this is containing the exclusive the four Ultra... Rares (I don't remember what these are called) so that's 23 looks across series 1, and... six or so complete looks per collection? However, there appear to actually be nine complete looks per collection (including the UR), so maybe the 400+ thing doesn't include the Ultra Rares.

I need to investigate further...

I mean, this line does boast of over 4 billion looks so it's not like they're good at/are interested in correctly representing the math on things.
  • I'm booooooored!
    I've been doing lots of 3D, drawing and programming, including an application to practice drawing to get better at 3D, but I can only do these things for so long before I grow tired, plus they haven't turned out well. I've also been looking at reviews and benchmarks of computer parts I'll never buy, and watching old videos I had downloaded and already seen.
    I want a non-phone internet connection so I can watch silly Youtube videos and browse pictures that I can then post on the image dump thread.
    Hmmm, I wonder what games I have around here. Maybe I could go back to language learning too. Or continue with one of the online courses I started and never finished, if I happen to have them saved here.
    As the fortnightly e-mails remind me, I haven't Duo-lingoed in 2 years.
    plus they haven't turned out well

In my experience, this tends to be a +50% modifier to the tired meter.
  • Ahh, I didn't know you were (at some point) actively learning a language. Am I right in assuming it's Japanese?
    I actually wanted to brush up on my French, which I focused on a lot in school. At the moment, it's on the middling side of vaguely okay. I Duo-lingoed for about six-eight months, but I always found the UI annoying.

I did actually try Duolingo for Japanese for like... 3 weeks. The lack of kana above kanji (at the time, not sure how it is now) really got to me. Around 2012-2014, I did some intensive kana training but to date I still remain iffy. In terms of kanji, I only recognize stuff that regularly shows up in songs...

As for like, actual language syntax, I've basically got what I can hear in anime <_<

I also have like, a passing interest in learning Afrikaans properly.

It's kind of embarrassing that in a year's time I won't have improved at any of this stuff. Maybe I should, iunno, actually try.
  • edited 2020-04-20 05:26:07
    I would probably find it easier personally to finish learning Chinese before learning Japanese.

Though ironically Mandarin wouldn't help much with regards to learning Japanese, while Cantonese would. Mandarin is a more recent branch while Japanese branched off of Chinese much earlier, and Japanese kanji pronunciations seem to share more similarities with Cantonese than Mandarin Chinese.

That said, it's probably worth mentioning that I'm not actually interested in learning Japanese.
  • Ahh French, I didn't know you were learning that either.
    I haven't practiced French in ages, at some point I stopped going to the Alliance Française study group sessions.
    As a consequence of the fact that I started with a kanji-heavy regime, I find kanji-laden text much easier to read than kana-only or kanji-light text.
    Also I have a thousand million pending flashcards piled up.
    At any rate, I'd do well in consuming more media in either of these languages, it's one of the things I tell myself I should do but never do.
    http://www.ukrainianweb.com/ukrainian_books_music.htm

y'know, I half kinda miss how the internet used to look like this
  • edited 2020-04-20 13:42:43
    Was there like, a specific reason every site was in portrait mode then?

There was like a good time where website design was between this and the "we should add more pointless scripts to this!" stuff of nowadays. Think Amazon early 2010s.

And I don't think any site has had a worse redesign than YouTube, where no matter how big your screen is the UI is always trying to not fit.

Also, it's 4/20. This is not a holiday I celebrate or condone of, but it feels weird not to mention it when I'm such a big Elon Musk 'fan'.

Speaking of Elon Musk, I keep forgetting to mention his Massie Block moment re:CNN earlier this week.
  • edited 2020-04-20 14:01:24
    ahaha this is funny

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/help_oneself
    1. (reflexive) To take something freely; to serve oneself without restraint.

He said I could help myself to the chocolates.

2. To exhibit self-control.

Sorry for eating all the chocolates - I couldn't help myself.
    Was there like, a specific reason every site was in portrait mode then?
    probably because widescreens were not the scourge of the world back then
    Clearly one should help one's self help one's self.

Widescreens are fine!

Overrectangular 2.4:1 screens are not.
  • edited 2020-04-21 00:03:45
    Oil prices have plummeted and are now in the negatives. Like, non-joke, you literally get paid real money to take it away, and not a small amount at that. I didn't know that was possible.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/1841668/oil-prices-are-negative-for-first-time-ever/amp/
    It's probably a good time to have an oil tanker. I wonder if it's possible to buy a barrel or two.
    Like, non-joke, you literally get paid real money to take it away, and not a small amount at that. I didn't know that was possible.

I thought it circumstances like this mainly there has to be an exchange in nominal value (which in this case I heard was $0.01). Though, of course, this has never happened before and so if it goes on until mid-May and even nominal value doesn't free up the supply gut then the honored Futures contracts* will... come to fruition? I mean, this'll be a real display of what I always believed to be a novel textbook concept outside of intangible assets like shares.

Which is kind of terrifying.

*this was of course caused by most people dumping most of their futures, but not everybody obviously.

This, frankly is a terrible effect of the business model, but I don't know enough about the oil industry (read: anything at all) to know there's any way to fix this (close down production and incur losses that way instead? I mean, without a gander at people's financials you never actually know what's most beneficial) or improve it rather than just waiting for stuff to go back to normal.
    I wonder if it's possible to buy a barrel or two.

Presumably (as that article is confusing about this) this isn't about Oil prices right now, but the benchmark for futures (a hedging instrument built for these exact scenarios) on contracts fulfilled mid-May or end-May. It could be the start of May but I don't think people usually use futures like that. And in this case, they're certainly not because the main driver is the fact that most major storage space will be filled by mid-May.

So, if you wanted to "buy" oil via the May contracts (that is, be paid to take it off supplier's hands) you'd probably have to know someone specifically through WTI since those Futures contracts are due in less than a month, and now they're probably being bundled to excessive degrees (which would cost a bunch in brokerage fees anyways presumably).

But there are like, June and other forward contracts (I did not know the oil industry did bimonthly futures but I guess that's to be expected from a physical asset).

I mean business opportunities are like rife, but extremely costly.

Plus, this is just American oil which has it's specific supply channels, so there's a limited resale market (unless this gulf thing actually comes through).
  • I thought it circumstances like this mainly there has to be an exchange in nominal value (which in this case I heard was $0.01). Though, of course, this has never happened before and so if it goes on until mid-May and even nominal value doesn't free up the supply gut then the honored Futures contracts* will... come to fruition? I mean, this'll be a real display of what I always believed to be a novel textbook concept outside of intangible assets like shares.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    This, frankly is a terrible effect of the business model, but I don't know enough about the oil industry (read: anything at all) to know there's any way to fix this (close down production and incur losses that way instead? I mean, without a gander at people's financials you never actually know what's most beneficial) or improve it rather than just waiting for stuff to go back to normal.
    I know that the typical response when prices dip below production costs is to wait it out, as it's slow and costly to stop/restart production. Though of course this isn't a typical situation and it's not just a dip.
    Presumably (as that article is confusing about this) this isn't about Oil prices right now, but the benchmark for futures
    That's how I understood it, yeah.
    Finally discovered the source of an indianmeal moth infestation in the kitchen. It was several bags of soybeans. Thought they'd be a good deal, at $0.99 per 12 ounce bag of soybeans.

Thankfully, it seems the insects themselves are safe to eat, even if icky.

And at least I got several photos of indianmeal moths and their larvae out of the whole shebang. Even if as far as animal photos go they're like trash-tier commons.
    This all sounds really gross, but congrats!... or something...
  • edited 2020-04-22 07:27:58
    Sounds annoying.
    There's a fly infestation in the kitchen here too, perhaps some similar food detective work is in order?
    I've been browsing the Linus Tech Tips forums (tl;dr: computer hardware), I've been awed at the knowledge of their posters, aware of theoretical principles of the craft, its trends, details and whatnot that I'm ultimately a n00b at. Sometimes two of them would contradict each other and argue it out, both in a tone of authority and I may not have a good grasp on who's right. Sometimes I do know a bit about what they're talking about and it contradicts things I thought I understood, that seemed simple enough. Sometimes so much so that I feel something is amiss.
    Sometimes the topic delves into something I do know something about (a common one is thermodynamics) and I realize that like half the forums' posts are from charlatans.
    Also I think there's a relation in knowing what they're talking about and them having a cute anime girl avatar.
  • Awww, I only just now found out.
    Rest in peace, professor John Conway.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    "he lost the Game of Life"

"once the next-to-last of his neighbours moved out, his days were numbered"
  • edited 2020-04-22 15:27:15
    Most puns make me feel numb, but math puns make me feel number. (yes I stole this).

10:03PM: 14w acquires MCX Wheels pack, thus creating opportunity for Rollin' Runway
    12:09PM: 14w considers build, but decides to work on it some other time, has lunch
    12:31PM: 14w begins build
    16:09PM: 14w wonders, "Where did all the time go????????"

So yeah, I'll probably post pictures tomorrow...ish. I think I've been feeding my obsessive habits lately and I need to stop for a bit.

Also, it turns out my thing with building blocks isn't LEGO Friends' fault!