If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A thread about architecture, buildings, and interior design

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    Did not expect a pixiv link in here. It looks sort of like the greenhouse from The Haunting. I know that doesn't sound like a promising assessment but I loved that greenhouse.

I've always loved the mondrian pattern, though I actually didn't know what it was called until today. I first saw it on those 60s YSL dresses and callme did their step by step PV in similar dresses, which brought it back to mind a few years ago.

A few days ago I was looking at the minimalistic office one of Kamen Rider Build's villain's uses and I thought a few Mondrian-esque art pieces strewn around would really elevate the whole look.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    The problem I've always had with stuff like housebuses or houseboats is that you don't have ready access to water, power and so on. Either you keep it bolted down to the ground like any random building (which feels like it kinda defeats the purpose - but then it doesn't matter if you just want a fancy house), or you must ever bother with filling and emptying the water and septic tanks.
  • edited 2018-06-20 09:39:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Clearly the solution is to live like RPG NPCs, who never use the bathroom, and just somehow have a stock of food and firewood. [/snerk]
    Yeah, the extent to which we depend on these infrastructure services isn't apparent until we lose access to them.
  • edited 2018-06-20 16:16:39
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I've always liked weirdly shaped tiny cars more than repurposed tiny houses. I think it's pretty cool when you repurpose a vehicle into a whole new thing though (one lady turned her old VW beetle into a rolling sweets shop IIRC).

Plus I've mentioned my love of the most agoraphobic wide-open spaces and I stick to that. I think a wonderful use of this sort of style in a city-setting is the Humphrey loft from Gossip Girl. I mean, there are sets that employ the whole concept better like the Van der Woodsen apartment, but this one really impressed me because it manages to not be trying for high-concept impersonal.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    hey fourteenwings, what do you think of this?

http://rtalbert.org/designing-the-future-faculty-office/
    oh, time for some more fantastic stuff

denalilobita-magic-school-dorm-room.png
    denalilobita-magic-school-dorm-room-night.png
    This is a typical dorm room at the magic school from my comic in-progress- the walls and floors are made from a special kind of tabby made with luminescent shells. The windows have a magic covering- they can transform from solid wall, to clear windowpane, to completely open to the air. The furniture is likewise magic- desks and tables can be summoned out of the floor and made to whatever size/shape is desired. The dresser in the corner has four drawers that pull out- it’s larger on the inside. :) The bunk beds are made from ordinary driftwood, but each post is embedded with glow crystals that can be turned on or off.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~denalilobita/submissions/818791/magic-school-dorm-room
    People are already ngry over normal animal hides and now you want to skin Unicorns?

Magic furniture and windows seem like the sort of thing I would never appreciate.

Re: Faculty Offices. I guess I feel like they work as they are, but maybe they could be better. This whole roaming employee thing reminds me of an episode of W1A where people kept overbooking the only non-ridiculous looking areas of the BBC Building.

I mean, we always start work with a blank page, I'm not sure starting with a blank page in the shape of three vaguely interconnected triangles that encourage you to start from the middle of said page will help at all.

For example:
    reservable private consultation rooms would be good enough although possibly a little less convenient

This solution is literally even more of a problem than the way stuff is done now, which immediately puts a damper on it.

Also:
    When an office is so personalized that it is overwhelmingly the personal space of the professor, it becomes very hard psychologically for a student to enter that space.

Is this a real thing? Like, has this person met people? This sounds ridiculous. I mean, nobody has a bed in their office, and if they do they should not. If any of this bit were true, it would have to do more with the personality of the professor, and this is all just a fancy way of walking around genuine personality issues.
    Faculty also need to have real options for doing work outside their offices

I'm so very confused, do they not have faculty-exclusive common areas in America?

>faculty offices shouldn't be like bedrooms
    >design a literal bedroom

No, everything about this is wrong
    . Like, even if you remove the weird height of everything, it's kind of vaguely disturbing in a #wegetit #inwiththekids way.

Also, these colour schemes feel off. They're very cold, yet there's supposed to be an emphasis on being warm and inviting?

As for these, the warmer common room spaces look good. That orange/purple colour scheme is great, but that furniture piece is a nightmare from shapes 101. In the image next to it, the lighter blues work really well, but they could benefit from incorporating the blue from that one ladies' top into the overall design, but not so much that it's childish.

The next image is too house-ey, which is what this whole design philosophy is against. In fact, a lot of these are very much just ripping off House & Home Magazine and it feels like somehow that would be detrimental to learning. There's a lot of light, which maybe is good depending on the science but as a person who spends a lot of time on campus I feel it's slightly distracting.

The next office I like is the one with the cactus, but there's a disorganized theme to it I don't appreciate.

Why are all these chairs 20 feet off the ground. How do you get in them without looking like an flailing menace.

There's also the whole 'hearing overlap' these seem to encourage. Some guy's giving a bit of a lecture or hosting a meeting, and you're trying to have a conversation like 90cm away. It's not going to work.

Anyways; thanks GMH. This was fun.
    People are already ngry over normal animal hides and now you want to skin Unicorns?
    *points to first episode of Chaika*
    >faculty offices shouldn't be like bedrooms
    >design a literal bedroom
    The same could be said of every room with a sofa.
    No, everything about this is wrong. Like, even if you remove the weird height of everything, it's kind of vaguely disturbing in a #wegetit #inwiththekids way.
    That's an adjustable height table. I'd like this room a lot because I want an adjustable height table. I can sit or stand while working, as I desire. Also changes the angle at which I perceive the room too.

There just isn't any natural lighting in this (CG-simulated) room, though.
    That orange/purple colour scheme is great, but that furniture piece is a nightmare from shapes 101.
    I was thinking, that seems like a curious little place where I can hole up in an otherwise large room.
    In the image next to it, the lighter blues work really well, but they could benefit from incorporating the blue from that one ladies' top into the overall design, but not so much that it's childish.
    Which "ladies' top"? None of the ladies are wearing blue in this picture.
    The next image is too house-ey, which is what this whole design philosophy is against.
    I actually dislike coffee tables because they can't be used viably as temporary desks.
    ...it feels like somehow that would be detrimental to learning. There's a lot of light, which maybe is good depending on the science but as a person who spends a lot of time on campus I feel it's slightly distracting.
    I actually really like well-lit spaces. Look at the fourth picture here, for example -- I'd love this office for the giant window and the light streaming in.
    Why are all these chairs 20 feet off the ground. How do you get in them without looking like an flailing menace.
    They're there so you can sit when your legs get tired.
    There's also the whole 'hearing overlap' these seem to encourage. Some guy's giving a bit of a lecture or hosting a meeting, and you're trying to have a conversation like 90cm away. It's not going to work.
    Agreed.
    Anyways; thanks GMH. This was fun.
    You're welcome!
    Which "ladies' top"? None of the ladies are wearing blue in this picture.

Yellow, I meant yellow <_<
    Look at the fourth picture here, for example

That looks great, but it's very controlled light. It streams in from one wall, and is balanced out by the warm colours of the rest of the room.
    The same could be said of every room with a sofa.

That sofa looks like it was designed with the explicit intention of being used as a bed sometimes.
    that seems like a curious little place where I can hole up in an otherwise large room.

I mean, yeah that's a good thing! But like... not in that shape, it's too much.
  • edited 2019-01-24 04:45:20
    I'm always really concerned when I see a bed that small with way too many pillows.

The second one just looks like closets.

Meanwhile, I've really been into saturated blue palettes complemented with deep orange. Ex. This, this and this.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Apparently building designs that are not specifically designed by acknowledged architects is callled vernacular architecture. I kind of feel like I find it more interesting than the other kind.
  • edited 2019-05-03 21:30:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    well it's less likely to be an eyesore
    I want to agree, but then I know what the architectural tastes of Poles are and I'm pretty sure that counts as vernacular.

Then again, there was that website I entered, and after a good while of mildly agreeing with the hate-on for modern architecture I slowly began to figure out it's run by some alt-right neo-Nazi and I probably should backtrack on principle.

But yeah. Kinda feels more in place. At least, as long as it's the right kind of vernacular. You can find "traditional" highland architecture about anywhere in the country.
    it's run by some alt-right neo-Nazi

I feel like this makes sense on principle, since the one thing authoritarians love to do is hate art and inefficiency.

But there is a sense of art-before-smarts when it comes to architecture sometimes. In my brief experience with architecture (almost all from my time watching The Great British Interior Design Challenge) I found the commercial art-deco style buildings and demand-driven buildings of the early British town very appealing. Part of that was because of their practicality.

There are a few good ideas that come out of thinking out of the box, especially when it comes to making buildings more green, but I can't say I understand the value of a really weirdly shaped museum aside from trying to lure people in after they take selfies in front of it.
  • I was going to post something about Albert Speer but I just learned he was a terrible architect.

Also, reminds me of our Air Conditioning professor telling us that our job was to stop architects from daydreaming about impractical designs.
  • edited 2019-05-05 08:05:25
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You remind me of a story I have heard a few years ago.

An acquaintance of mine worked in some German institute. The institute was moving to a new building. The dean took a look at the project, years of doing physics clicked in, and he's like, all these glass walls will make it hot as fuck in summer. The architect, no no, it's fine, I've calculated the effect, don't worry.

It was hot as fuck.

The architect: guess I made a small mistake, lol kthxbye

Best part is that since the dude has intellectual property rights, they couldn't even cover it, because that would be a change in design and he didn't like it.

The story ended like you could expect, that they went to courts over it while air conditioning worked at full power to at least mitigate the heat, but I don't know the outcome.

(ed reason: typo)
    That's extremely unfortunate.

But especially the part about just not being able to admit they were wrong.
  • Not so much about real-life architecture but fiction architecture, and for that matter not so much about architecture but using it in artwork to evoke feelings, but I thought it was cool:

This closet is so ultra-anorexic that it just might inspire a minimalist trend.

I wonder if homes (haha, "homes") like this are why the abomination that is microwave sponge-cake is a thing.

How can you even have a Murphy bed in this tiny spaceless thing? How does it even fit?

Somebody is probably self-isolating in one of these right now, so spare a few thoughts for them.
    How about this?

149013_wc-w-kuchni.jpg
    This is very concerning.
    u-http-warszawawpigulce-pl-wp-content-uploads-2015-09-10557362-689725987802294-276942284879617600.jpg
    I like this more than I should.

I have a feeling that doing lots of LEGO Friends Indoor Builds prepared me for this nonsense.
    How 'bout this one?

comment_15864493170XizT0fKQ6vEGHuaupAj9Z,w400.jpg

A classic design.
  • edited 2020-04-10 05:46:03
    Yeah I think this is almost typical.

Let's brighten up the place page!

j9HphW6.jpg

I like the wall color, and the lighting that goes with it. The painting on the wall is brilliant, but I could do without some of the flourishes (toy car, Rhino statue).