If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I did not remember this PV being so racy, or late 00s.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh wow, it's fourteenwings, but not J-pop!
    Though I am yet to get my copy of lol's lightning (third album woo!) I can't stop thinking about these lyrics from blaaaaw:
    blast out!
    blaaaw blaaaaw be like tiger!

Like... tigers don't "blast out" or say "blaaaw!"
  • edited 2020-03-22 19:18:40

There are official "lyrics" to the Doctor Who opening credits music.

I don't know why this was a thing.
    I completely forgot that Z-O-M-B-I-E-S 2 had a finale song until a few days ago when I got my copy of the CD soundtrack and it was just like... there (and so was Baby Ariel's awfully droll new barely-movie-related song).

I like this song, I guess? It's very catchy in the tropical house way most of the songs from this movie were, but it sure has lyrics that are relevant to goings on ("Get sick, get ill!!!!").
    At first I was genuinely not too interested in change, but this new version of only my railgun really does prove that fripSide's music got better after Nanjo Yoshino did the solo career thing for a while.
  • Wow, it's not the Shirabe B-sides voice anymore.

They still have the same magician, which somehow surprises me.
    ...I'm not sure what sounds different? Then again I guess it was meant to be the same as the original version of the song...
    Wow, it's not the Shirabe B-sides voice anymore.

I know, right?
    They still have the same magician, which somehow surprises me.

I miss ALTIMA music videos and their intensely random guest stars.
    I'm not sure what sounds different?

Nanjo's voice? The various slight retunes in the main track? I mean, this was a big song for a long time so it should be easy to hear the small differences.
  • edited 2020-03-30 03:54:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I recommend first listening to this video without watching it.

On December 15, 2012, the world achieved a state in which a video was made featuring Vítězslava Kaprálová's Military Sinfonietta with an anime image on the cover.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Since the last post in the other music thread was mine, I will post here:

It's one of these bands that often make their way into sovietwave compilations, although I have a feeling they would rather be regarded as an electronics band. But then, I don't know. Anyway it's good electronics regardless of your stance on Soviet nostalgia.
    I wonder why new wave is enjoying a resurgence. I mean, on my various trips on the internet I've found quite a few channels that are all about it.

By the way, that second song there is brilliant.

I find that new wave has a real beauty to some of it's movements that remind me of that free-wheeling way of the 80s and 90s (well, 80s and 90s movies I've seen). Like... when Eddie Murphy wasn't trying to be excessively silly, if that makes sense? (I mean, I've barely even seen any Eddie Murphy movies).

Some of my other favorites.

In keeping with new, faux retro. I heard this recently, it's pretty great.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I wonder why new wave is enjoying a resurgence. I mean, on my various trips on the internet I've found quite a few channels that are all about it.

Recently there's been some talk in cultural circles. A name to watch for is Mark Fisher; the dude came up with an idea that a) now that we have ready access to culture created in the past, it's harder and harder for any creator to create something new and good; b) teh ebul capatilists made it so it is harder to survive for an artist on a dime. I'm not sure about the second, the first seems to be an interest-worthy claim. It's about this whole nostalgic thread in general, but it began with a discussion on music.
    now that we have ready access to culture created in the past, it's harder and harder for any creator to create something new and good

I actually assumed this was why dolphin/cat noises and EDM breakdowns became a thing in mainstream pop. It's different from what came before.

I think my main issue is that instead of allowing a proliferation of everything at one, humanity still follows trends, and no amount of tech will help that.
    teh ebul capatilists made it so it is harder to survive for an artist on a dime

You know, music is really weird about this. Of course, you have to have the star who sings and sells records, but there's a giant machine that makes even a chunk of that start to happen.

A serious problem is that musicians must specialize in their art and work at it basically all day, and therefore they can't participate in the business side of things in a competent manner.

A weird funny example would be like... the Kardashians (or the Paris Hilton/Nicole Ritchie wagon that came before that). Without the Kardashian Matriarch running point, that whole thing would have collapsed by now. It's why you see a lot of musicians with momagers succeeding way longer than others. Destiny's Child was run by Beyonce's dad. Gee, I wonder which one of those people still sings...

That is to say, the person who is interacting with the business side has the artist's best interests at heart.

It's not hard to see how somebody without a familial connection can start to see themselves as a behind the scenes demagogue who the artist owes for their fame. I mean, unfortunately, that's quite true to an extent, but then there's also the person whose face is being plastered everywhere and whose voice is being used to sell a random Swedish producer's songs.

Basically, I don't think there's a solution to the musical vehicle that isn't "I guess we need more momagers!"
  • edited 2020-04-06 15:22:39
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm sorry:

I've had this song in my head all day, even though the last time I heard it was probably like maybe a year after it was released in 2010. Watching it again now... I am not sure how this was not a parody? I mean, maybe this was part of the death of the many different genres of music.

When I first heard this song I was like "this song is so cool and deep with so many hidden meanings" and now I'm like... yeah young Mr. 14w put down the literary theory right now.

I still love it though.

According to YouTube (the only metric that matters), Ke$ha's greatest hits are all somehow less popular than Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA, which is like... the worst Miley Cyrus song (then again they're all the worst after the album Breakout).
    I was writing up a giant post here about the tonality of the song "Expose" from the Arpeggio of Blue Steel character songs, but I realized I should probably put it in a more centralized place.
    argh I got "Black + White" stuck in my head from writing up that big post earlier
  • I'm guessing that's not the Michael Jackson song.
    Iori Nomizu?

Also I think it's "Black [Cross Symbol] White".

The first BLACK or WHITE I thought of was the Miss Monochrome one.
  • I keep having to listen to Dragonflame over and over, for reasons I'm not sure.

Well, okay, it's for reasons that should be apparent before you even hear the song.

JAM Project can't seem to yell "Zerooooo" as well as they do "GAROOOOOO".
  • edited 2020-04-14 12:25:14
    Woke up this morning,
    Still half asleep,
    With one eye open check IJBM la politique,
    Look at the forums,
    What's happening~
    Better get in an argument,
    That's super irrelevant.

Next thing I knew,
    From that thread I hear you,
    Being to-tally wrong,
    Disagreeing with me,
    I know!
    I better pull out sixty stanzas.

Sometimes,
    GMH don't understand,
    That I,
    Would rather be 100% wrong,
    Than admit that,
    He might be right,
    It's my eternal plight~
  • edited 2020-04-14 15:32:29
    I read this post after replying to your other post and I can't help but find this post incredibly [I'm not sure what adjective to use here other than "cute" or "quaint" but they don't properly describe how I feel about this].

The song's not too bad either. Though I think some words could probably be written a little better.
    I've had this thought recently: if you compare sovietwave to synthwave and related, then musically they are similar, but they seem to strive to evoke different ideas. Western retro-synth seems to be more, for lack of a better term, cyberpunkish (cars and neonlights and computers), but the post-Soviet more like aims for retro-scifi not unlike Arthur C. Clarke's (space stations and experimental physics and rocketships). At the moment I'm wondering if it should be expected or not, given my lack of knowledge of 80's-era Soviet pop-culture upon which I could build hypotheses, but an interesting observation nonetheless.
  • edited 2020-05-02 05:51:35
    Hoshino Gen (Japan's biggest male pop star of the day) has uploaded videos of himself as an alter-ego named "Nise Akira". In two of these videos, "Eternally 16 Year Old" Miyabi Mamoru shows up. Miyabi Mamoru being the camp alter ego of Japan's biggest male seiyuu, Miyano Mamoru.

It turns out, Nise Akira is Miyabi Mamoru's entertainment world pops (Mamoru is two years younger than Gen).
  • edited 2020-05-04 04:23:38
    [23:17:45] so fwiw i guess the current economy goes like this
    [23:17:53] they make songs
    [23:17:57] they put them on CDs
    [23:18:00] whales buy up the CDs
    [23:18:13] other fans buy up some CDs
    [23:18:24] and various other people pirate the music
    [23:18:50] so it's like the whales are subsidizing the industry on behalf of the pirates by buying up all the crazy amount of CDs even the ones that are blatantly not worth the money because they're nearly or entirely just re-releases

i said this in response to reading how "Volumes 01-03 are made up of older material, except for one new song on each volume (THE Ai, DREAM and LOST, respectively)." ( https://www.project-imas.com/wiki/THE_IDOLM@STER_BEST_OF_765+876=!!_series )

Take volume 3 for example; it contains 16 songs, of which 15 are songs that are not new to this album (their specific singers might be but I'm not sure).

i swear this post about j-pop and business/economics is not intended as 14w bait