If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    I've slowly been chipping away at my large, ever-growing backlog. Since the start of the year:
    • Gris (Switch) — Atmospheric puzzle-platformer. Chill gameplay, very striking visual aesthetic.
    • A Short Hike (Steam) — A short, lovingly-crafted adventure game. The world feels a lot bigger than it actually is, with lots of places to explore and side stuff to do.
    • Hexcells, Hexcells Plus, Hexcells Infinite (Steam) — A trio of puzzle games, somewhere in a space between Minesweeper and Picross. Relatively short, but certainly ramps up in difficulty close to the end.
    • Yono and the Celestial Elephants (Switch) — Isometric adventure game. Wound up being much shorter than I expected it to be, and what gameplay there was felt a bit sparse at times. The characters and setting were pretty charming, though, so it was an enjoyable (if brief) romp.
    • Hyper Light Drifter (Epic) — Fast-paced action-adventure. Strong aesthetic, but this one didn't click with me for a while. The early game was rough, and the dash mechanic felt kinda janky at times. Once I got some more upgrades and better weapons, though, things more or less fell into place, though it was still a bit frustrating at times.
    • Return of the Obra Dinn (Steam) — A puzzle game that has you explore an abandoned ship and unravel a complex narrative about what happened to its passengers and crew. Pretty satisfying to piece stuff together, though there were a few puzzles near the end I kinda had to solve via brute force. A unique concept that I'd like to see more of.
    • Freedom Planet (Wii U) — Sonic the Hedgehog-styled platformer. Pretty fun... for the most part. Of the three playable characters, the one I played is (from what I've heard) not as polished as the other two, and it showed. Certain parts of the game (a few boss fights in particular) were definitely not designed with her in mind, so they got frustrating real quick. On the whole though, I enjoyed it, and I'll probably go back and play through it again as the other two characters... eventually.
    • Slime Rancher (Epic) — Just beat this one today, for a given definition of "beat"; reached the end of the story (insomuch as there is one), but you can progress at your own pace and there's still plenty to do after the credits roll. Between this and Stardew Valley, I wanted to get at least one of the chill farming games off my backlog before Animal Crossing: New Horizons drops. This game... makes me happy. The music, the designs, the general aesthetic, it's all very warm and pleasant and inviting.
    Now to decide what game to tackle next... I picked up MOLEK-SYNTEZ on sale a day or two back, and I've yet to play a Zachtronics puzzle game I haven't loved, so that one's under consideration.

In between all of this stuff, I've also been developing another puzzle game in Unity, that I'll hopefully publish on itch.io at some point this month. Just a bit of cleanup work to do, then lots of puzzles to design. Still looking for dev work, too- had a decent interview with a local studio that didn't pan out, but not much luck beyond that. Back to the grind...
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Ooh, Gris. I've heard a lot of good said about this game. Let me know when you've played enough to form an informed opinion.
  • edited 2020-03-09 14:34:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The annoyances of the new Steam library have caused me to blow off playing stuff on Steam and instead rediscover games I got on GOG. They include:

* Celestian Tales: Old North, a JRPG
    * Chasm, an NLX 2D platformer with an arcade mode that turns it into a score-attack 2D action platformer
    * Dragonsphere, a point-and-click adventure
    * Raiden III, a vertical shmup

Other stuff I've been playing:

* La-Mulana, an NLX 2D platformer
    * Spooky Ghosts Dot Com, an NLX 2D platformer
    * various mods for Super Metroid: Arcade, Arrival, Ascent, Magaluf, Oxide, and its randomizer
    * The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past randomizer, a randomizer mod and an NLX top-down adventure
    * combo randomizer for Super Metroid and Zelda ALTTP

note: NLX = "non-linear exploration", a term I made up so that I don't have to differentiate between Zelda and Metroid/Castletroids
  • edited 2020-03-09 16:31:27
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Ooh, Gris. I've heard a lot of good said about this game. Let me know when you've played enough to form an informed opinion.
    I should clarify, this is a list of games I've already beaten in 2020. I played through all of Gris in January, and more recently I went back looking for collectibles I'd missed (with the help of a guide, 'cause some of them are pretty far out of the way).

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. Gameplay is usually somewhat slow-paced, but never to the point where it became a hassle. It definitely prioritizes atmosphere over challenge, but it wasn't as sparse as I thought it'd be, and some of the late-game puzzles felt suitably complex.

The aesthetic is absolutely the game's strongest point. Each level has a distinct atmosphere to it, and all of them are gorgeous and have a lot of memorable setpieces (one of the first areas in this game reminded me heavily of Journey, which happened to be the last game I beat in 2019). The music's pretty good, too, but that's down to preference.

The narrative is... abstract. There's a lot of symbolism that's clearly leading somewhere, and is important somehow, and you'll probably get the general idea, but some of the exact nuance was lost to me on my first playthrough. I didn't mind too much, though. It still conveyed the sentiment and emotional impact it was aiming for.

Would recommend.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Thanks. Most of the praise for the game that I could build an expectation on came from very leftsy, very artsy internet spaces of the same kind that praised Gone Home. I was curious whether I would appreciate the game for the same reasons (and if at all), but factoring you opinion it seems I would.
  • In between all of this stuff, I've also been developing another puzzle game in Unity, that I'll hopefully publish on itch.io at some point this month. Just a bit of cleanup work to do, then lots of puzzles to design. Still looking for dev work, too- had a decent interview with a local studio that didn't pan out, but not much luck beyond that. Back to the grind...
    Best of luck!
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I have to say; it's great seeing everybody working so hard on their various projects. Really inspires me to keep up with my own work too.
    *shuffles feet nervously*
  • edited 2020-03-10 14:26:22
    *smiles nervously*
  • I have to say; it's great seeing everybody working so hard on their various projects. Really inspires me to keep up with my own work too.
    I know, right?
    *back to work*
  • edited 2020-03-12 21:21:42
    https://fckdrm.com/

well this just introduced me to yet another DRM-free source for things

now the list is up to the following:

fully DRM-free:
    * FireFlower
    * GOG
    * JAST USA
    * MangaGamer

partially DRM-free, properly labeled:
    * Desura? (defunct)
    * GamersGate
    * Humble Store
    * itch.io
    * Playism

partially DRM-free, but not properly labeled:
    * Epic?
    * Steam
  • Wait, I realized I never answered this:
    Huh, I wonder about that...

Anyhows, I've begun playing Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, though I intend to take it slowly. I've been trying to avoid spoilers, to partial success, with how inconsiderate people are about spoilers I'm surprised I got spoiled as little as I did. Anyhows I didn't feel like playing it yet but I suppose the only surefire way of avoiding spoilers is to play/watch the game.
    So far it's been much less action-based than I expected, with lots of dialogue spaced throughout, unfortunately I don't find the dialogue nearly as interesting as in the other games. Also fanservice. Despite the lack of polish, the environment really shines, Towa City makes good use of the psycho-pop style in a way the other settings don't.
    (I suppose there's no point in me posting updates? Though I'm writing stuff down anyways so I can look back on it later on.)
    Ah man I totally forgot to post this (I thought I'd have more to say but I really don't so):

I'd love to read updates!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Opinion: the Steam virtual item economy was a mistake
    The virtual item economy in general is a mistake.

i'm talking about derivatives
  • edited 2020-03-26 17:37:43
    So I finished Ultra Despair Girls. I ended up liking it but gotta agree with the general opinion that it's far from a given that one who's really into the rest of the series will like it, that much is obvious with the different gameplay but also from the differences in plot and dialogue. I liked the ending though. Also I wonder why it's not more controversial than it is given the panty shots, the common theme among the main antagonists and especially that part. In terms of gameplay I expected something like Devil May Cry but it turned out to be more like Resident Evil, what with limited resources, non-respawning enemies and whatever else I'm missing, though I felt it was too easy to feel as tense.
    Version that's light on spoilers for this game (and heavy on spoilers on the rest of the series obv):
  • Two parter cuz it's long.
    Spoiler-heavy version.
  • edited 2020-03-27 00:42:22
    1. Big GOG sale going on.

https://www.gog.com/

2. GOG compiled their free games onto this page for convenience:

https://www.gog.com/partner/stay_at_home

I heavily recommend Treasure Adventure Game. The title sounds lame, but it's a metroidvania with a surprising amount of depth to it.

3. https://store.steampowered.com/app/335190/200_Mixed_Juice/

200% Mixed Juice is basically the second "mascot game" from the same dev that made 100% Orange Juice. It's basically like a quick version of Pokémon, but with Orange_Juice characters.

I never expected it to be free, but here we are.

The game is "semi-DRM-free" -- singleplayer is playable without Steam, but multiplayer requires it, from what I've tried.
    Oh, speak of the devil. I didn't check these other ones.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/282800/100_Orange_Juice/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/390710/Acceleration_of_SUGURI_2/

Both free right now.

100% Orange Juice is a multiplayer board game. I've written about it extensively on this forum.

Acceleration of Suguri 2 is, I think, a shmup dueling game?
  • edited 2020-03-27 11:57:43
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    why it's not more controversial than it is given the panty shots

Going by what I've seen of the PSV, PS4 gaming zeitgeist, it would be more controversial if Sony had censored the pan.

The groping (or anti-groping if I'm being generous) minigame is super creepy and I'm embarassed about the fact I'm playing a game with that thing in it.

Welcome to -ahem- EVERY OTHER GAME ON THE PSVITA.
  • Going by what I've seen of the PSV, PS4 gaming zeitgeist, it would be more controversial if Sony had censored the pan.
    Oh, I don't mean it should've been censored, but I thought it was something people would bring up more often. Though I guess the game is upfront about it so that helps.
    Welcome to -ahem- EVERY OTHER GAME ON THE PSVITA.
    I figured as much, but I can help that by not playing those games, unlike that part which, well, I didn't see it coming.
    Good point.
    Oh, I don't mean it should've been censored, but I thought it was something people would bring up more often.

I meant more in general, rather than with this specific incident. Even this gets a rile out of Sony gamers.

The comments are kind of amazing (in a bad way).
  • edited 2020-03-27 15:55:17
    > Welcome to -ahem- EVERY OTHER GAME ON THE PSVITA.
    I knew about Monster Monpiece already, but I'm not sure to what extent Mary Skelter counts (but if it does then I am more hesitant about picking it up).

More accurately though some of these just sound like "Welcome to more of the kinds of games people previously didn't pay attention to getting localized versions."
    I don't think console-based bishoujo touching games really existed before the PSV's rear touchscreen. I mean, it all really started with Moero Chronicle and Monster Monpiece, and now it's making a home on the Nintendo Switch.

I mean I can't think of any similar unlicensed NDS or PS2 games.

Maybe they took this (quite NSFW) out of the PC version of Mary Skelter but I doubt it.
    Speaking of which, how exactly does the rear touchscreen work? I know how a front touchscreen works, but...a rear touchscreen?
    I mean it doesn't have many purposes aside from intuitive touching, rather than direct manipulation with a front touchscreen. The fact that it didn't catch on says a lot.
    I mean, do people usually use it by putting a (placebo) finger on the front as well, because I imagine it just seems weird to rub one's finger against the back of the device.

That said I guess it's possible to use the other fingers to do it while holding the device thumbs-up.
  • edited 2020-04-02 17:42:37
    In light of recent arguing I feel this game is relevant.

https://nonadecimal.itch.io/socialjusticewarriors

This game is basically Internet Flamewar Simulator.
    Social justice warrior: can employ a variety of tactics to defeat foes

Social justice monk: eschews Internet to hone his body itself into a weapon

Social justice ranger: explores the wilderness of the Internet fringe in search of hated enemies to destroy

Social justice sorcerer: is just naturally adept at constructing arguments that are difficult to pick apart

Social justice bard: can always count on artistic skill to befuddle foes

Social justice druid: you ain't gonna burn a cross in a courtyard roamed by 200lb. rottweiler-mastiff crossbreed