If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2020-02-13 06:45:39
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    lol I've pretty much watched none of that except for Eureka Seven and Uta~Kata and .hack//SIGN and AKB0048 (and some of Solty Rei and Aikatsu and Million Arthur, among which Solty Rei is the only one I haven't dropped)
  • edited 2020-02-14 09:50:19
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm not 100% sure if this is accurate since my Japanese is very bad, but it seems like Daia from Kiratto Pri☆Chan changed races from Average Japanese to either Okinawan-Japanese... or maybe she just changed skin tones?

I mean, she's a Virtual PriTuber who is the avatar (creation?) of a normal girl but this sort of thing a rare occurrence in our modern times, even in Japan (there was a bit of a stir over the casting of Hairspray there recently).

Especially when it seems like the image-change is supposed to represent Daia falling into "evil" (or at least, temporary unfriendlyness). And given that when she like, gets better, she'll probably go back to normal. Or, maybe IRL Dia will take over the normal Daia look when she activates a PriCast, and the PriTuber Daia will maintain this new look.

Anyways, the new version of Friend Password is still really super lively.

Hashtag Transracial Representation Matters?
  • are you sure she didn't become ganguro
  • edited 2020-02-14 09:37:16
    Ganguro/Gyaru hasn't been a thing in forever (least of all amongst little girls), unless you count attempts to revive it.

Though there was actually an episode of Aikatsu Stars! where Mahiru helped some misguided gyarus so iunno.
  • edited 2020-02-14 23:40:26
    I'm experiencing the odd problem where I've grown very fond of Absolute Duo in the time since watching it and I think I've somehow shoved all the parts I didn't like about it (i.e. all the gratuitous sexual fanservice) into harder-to-access parts of my brain that I have to remind myself to check before I get too excited about it.
  • edited 2020-02-15 05:26:13
    Yeah, that's how I feel about Machine-doll (which was one of the first shows to get uncensored airings on AT-X, which is the source of the raws the sub I have came from).

My favorite thing about being a Crunchyroll Premium subscriber is all the shows I try to watch only to get a:
    Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region: (Basically 70% of everything)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Suddenly I realized that I really want to see Alisha Diphda hang out with Yuuki Soleil...and probably being her mentor in handling the affairs of government.

Poor Yuuki. She's basically having the rudest awakening ever, to put it mildly.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Despite being younger, I think Yuuki has a much better head on her shoulders for this sort of thing.

Alisha was always very compassionate and considerate, owing to being a Tales character who has to adhere to a Tales world and deal with Tales twists.
    Well I'm like 5 episodes in and Yuuki hasn't shown that yet.
    It's interesting to think about how a bunch of anime fans probably think about fantasy anime with the experience of having watched the smash hit that is KonoSuba in their minds, while i have pretty much completely ignored KonoSuba and thus basically ignored whatever its take is on fantasy anime.

A similar thing can be said of DanMachi and SAO except I belatedly watched a couple spinoffs of each (SAO II and Sword Oratoria).

But, like, maybe Endro~! takes some inspiration from DanMachi or KonoSuba in how it riffs on the fantasy genre, but I wouldn't know this and thus I get to see it "fresh".
  • Surely you've seen other fantasy things with humor that leaned on RPG-ness before Endro. I mean, even the Rayearth manga did that.

How is this possible? If this didn't turn out to be funded by King Records because they couldn't stand the thought of other people beating them at Minase worship, I will be very disappointed in King.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Surely you've seen other fantasy things with humor that leaned on RPG-ness before Endro. I mean, even the Rayearth manga did that.
    Well, yes, but Konosuba, SAO, and (maybe?) Danmachi are sorta big prominent features in this realm and I would at least surmise that they were probably somewhat influential.
    How is this possible? If this didn't turn out to be funded by King Records because they couldn't stand the thought of other people beating them at Minase worship, I will be very disappointed in King.

Oh my gosh.

@GMH: This post demands a lot of thoughts and responses, but on some level you sound like me in terms of "I'll watch this vaguely non-standard show to prove my unique sensibilities".

Also if we're talking about Endro~!, then SAO is certainly not a direct influence. It's probably less of an influence than literally every Manga Time Kirara adaptation.

I mean it was probably influenced mainly by King trying to get ahead on the "girls isekai" genre that's starting to flourish with Didn't I Ask to Make My Abilities Average In the Next Life? and BOFURI.
  • edited 2020-02-20 05:53:50
    > on some level you sound like me in terms of "I'll watch this vaguely non-standard show to prove my unique sensibilities".

Well I definitely didn't pick Endro for this reason; I picked it literally because either you or Naas (or both?) posted pics from it.

And yeah, SAO is unlikely to be a direct influence, but SAO does ultimately also involve portrayal of swords-and-sorcery fantasy settings and how SAO does this (as well as what creative lineages it draws upon) likely had an impact on how subsequent anime portrayed such settings. Though, of course, SAO was intentionally built to be more "gamey", while Endro by contrast is a self-contained setting, with relatively few "gamey" elements, so any influence likely wouldn't be direct. Nor are SAO/DanMachi/Konosuba the only fantasy anime in recent years. But I simply cited SAO as a particularly big and famous entertainment franchise with some similar elements.

Artistic inspiration could come from basically anywhere though. For all we know, Endro could actually have been largely inspired by someone's silly idea from 20 years ago.
  • edited 2020-02-20 07:08:54
    But Endro is neither isekai nor based on an amateur web novel.

I actually hadn't looked up the background of Didn't I Say and Bofuri until just now. Turns out, yeah they were both from Narou.
    I picked it literally because either you or Naas

Naas.
    Well I definitely didn't pick Endro for this reason

I'm commenting on your post-picking it validation.
    I'm not really seeing how it's "validation", when if anything I'm highlighting the fact that I haven't watched other things...
    That is, to say, you're too cool for those other things..

I mean, anyways, it was just a joke. I don't mean you're setting up a bourgeois anime camp for true art enthusiasm or anything.
    Heh, I'm pretty sure the folks who crow about LOTGH have already done that.

Also, as far as out-hipstering the hipsters go, last year I added not one but two well-known things to my faves -- Black Rock Shooter and Kemono Friends.
    Hey @fourteenwings might you have any insight into the following: Is there any name for, and/or theory discussing, the point at which collectible commodities start to rise in price, due to new items being no longer produced and then "looser" collectors already having sold off their discounted instances of the commodity?
  • edited 2020-02-21 08:09:36
    With T7S anime actually happening, Lapis ReLiGHTs scheduled for possibly this year, and whatever this is gonna be

Maybe I'll have enough options to be into idol anime without looking at the major Bamco titles.
  • edited 2020-02-21 15:56:57
    Question to anyone else who gets art books: for small art books (like 32 pages or less), do you usually see them bound using glue on separate sheets or using staples on four-page spreads? And which do you prefer?
    The former, but I don't think I've gotten a zine-type art-book since Eureka Seven AO FIRST EDITION anyways.

Now, scuse me;
    Aikatsu! Franchise will Make "Important Announcement" on March 8
    *esplodes*
    I've bought one small art book that used staples (i.e. saddle stitch binding) and one that used glue, and...I'm wondering how fair it is that I gave the latter one a 3/5 with the headline "good art, poor binding".

But, I mean, staples really do leave me with fewer odd white paper spots in a dark background when the art spans multiple pages. If it's glue-bound, there's an entire line of little white tear spots.
    Oh yeah that's true.

But 3/5 seems unfair, since it's not really anybody's choice but the publisher's.
    Apparently, Xebec, the studio that handled making Future Card Buddyfight anime alongside OLM, was bought by Sony. This has led to rumors about Buddyfight possibly being brought back at some point.

Unfortunately, the combined Sony/Bushiroad event was cancelled due to Coronavirus fears...

Meanwhile:

c7OzHVD.jpg
  • I thought that one's an LN
    Nope, manga.

CR has announced bunch of originals. Most a bunch of anime, most based on Korean manhua, some just like... not anime at all. I'm not really interested in any of them, and I don't think CR should be doing this sort of thing instead of improving that danged player, but it's their business decisions and like, maybe people will like them.

Full transcript.

Australian government official discovers fanservice.

(To be fair I did actually stop watching SAO around the time of the episode he describes for those exact reasons).