If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Things that are not the same

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    * Violet Evergarden
    * The Promised Neverland
    * Carole & Tuesday
  • But those titles don't even sound similar.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    At least two of them are Netflix shows...?
    The "ever" bit and the fact that a garden is a plot of land is probably what got me to confuse the first two.

The third one got mixed in with Violet Evergarden after my first exposure to the name involved people complaining that it was too "western".
  • Yeah that complaint doesn't sound like Violet Evergarden.
  • edited 2019-12-26 13:47:02
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Isn't Carole & Tuesday basically just Jazzy, Space Aikatsu Friends! ?
  • edited 2019-12-26 19:17:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Do note that the person who spawned that complaints was someone whose opinion of Carole & Tuesday went like this:
    * associated with Netflix
    * stars characters with western names in a western setting, in an obvious attempt to appeal to more mainstream western audiences
    * dark-skinned character for diversity
    * character designs not very attractive in the usual anime way

conclusion: western influence making anime pander to western audiences but destroying what makes anime anime, by making female characters ugly in the name of diversity due to the influence of SJWs, who only care about diversity and making female characters ugly, and not about good art. this is bad for anime; anime needs to stay Japanese.

If you want to dump a bucket of cold water on that opinion with the sliver of hope that it might realize how many stupid assumptions it rests on, then you share my opinion of this opinion.

(And the most ironic thing is that this argument is made in the name of artistic freedom even though it's basically saying what art should or shouldn't be like.)
  • edited 2019-12-27 09:06:00
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    stars characters with western names in a western setting, in an obvious attempt to appeal to more mainstream western audiences

These things are different concepts (western setting v western audience) but here I'd say it was done in a way that was very expected re:the Cowboy Bebop guy.
    character designs not very attractive in the usual anime way

The character designs of Carole & Tuesday are very anime (and very pretty). One of the main characters is an eighteen year old girl who dresses like a Victorian child for goodness sakes.
    this argument is made in the name of artistic freedom

Is it? Isn't it more like "things should be marketed towards the usual style which I like"?
  • edited 2019-12-27 05:31:48
    Is it? Isn't it more like "things should be marketed towards the usual style which I like"?

If that were the case, they wouldn't use "pander" exclusively for things they don't approve of.
    I meant the argument itself is pretty flawed, not the critic's personal interpretation of it.

Anyways this is making me want to renew Netflix (I still have to watch High Score Girl II at some point, maybe Granblue Fantasy?).
  • edited 2020-01-25 19:35:18
    * WeeChat (open-source IRC client for PC OSes)
    * WeChat (proprietary mobile social networking/instant messaging client by Tencent)
    *Ahiru no Sora: Basketball anime starring bishounen that started in Fall 2019.
    *Hoshiai no Sora: Softenni anime starring bishounen that started in Fall 2019.
    Ichika Tachibana
    Kanade Tachibana
    Hibiki Tachibana
    Kanade Amou
  • Sakura Wars has a Maria Tachibana.
    spetum
    sputum
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^ spatula
    pianist
    pannist
    Shadowgate
    Shadowrun
    Shadowverse
    Anime series that are not the same:
    * Orange
    * Citrus
    * omphalos
    * ampharos
    Fuyumidori (ED of Atelier Escha & Logy anime series)
    Fuyubiyori (ED of Yuru Camp anime series season 1)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Wilhelm Tell
    Rudolf Hess

...what?!
    Oh yeah!

Nanawo Akari
    Yoshi Nanami
    Bonefish Grill: https://www.bonefishgrill.com
    Bonefish Mac's Sports Grille: https://www.bonefishmacs.com
  • edited 2020-12-29 21:08:28
    coriander (spice)
    collander (kitchen utensil)
    Corian (countertop material)
    corundum (crystalline form of aluminum oxide)
    carborundum (silicon carbide)
    carbonado (black diamond)
  • edited 2021-03-03 07:30:38
    People who are not the same:
    * Yuki Kaji (male Japanese voice actor)
    * Yuki Kajiura (female Japanese composer)
    Mamluk, a.k.a. Mameluke (historical soldiers)
    Alaskan Malamute (dog breed)
    Marmaduke (fictional dog)
  • Mameluke is also a(n obscure, judging from Google search results,) term for a certain full-body suit.
    Also, Ali Mamlouk is an advisor for Bashar al-Assad.
    Wikipedia also tells me it was a horse. Kinda awkward, feels like. An individual 19th Century horse that has an own page on Wikipedia, referred to as "he" throughout and all that lot.
    Things that are not pronounced similarly:

* fajita
    * Fujita