If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > look for Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Kirikumas, a series of one-minute omake mini-episodes that came with the rebroadcast of the main series
    > find official upload of raws (YouTube playlist)
    > look for subtitled version
    > find ...something. https://9anime.to/watch/aoki-hagane-no-arpeggio-ars-nova-kirikumas.o664/ljrpw3

This isn't Kirikumas, FYI.

This appears to be mainly CGI music videos (possibly made in MMD? given how I'm seeing some things clipping/trembling, and how that behavior resembles what I've seen of MMD videos). The songs, specifically, are mainly from the "Blue Field" Character Songs CD (which actually doesn't contain the song "Blue Field"). But there's also some other stuff.

episode list:

1. "Blue Field" (Arpeggio of Blue Steel ED1)
    2. "Dawning Light" (track 6 on BFCS)
    3. "Expose" (track 3 on BFCS)
    4. "Inapplicability" (track 2 on BFCS)
    5. "Innocent Blue" (Arpeggio of Blue Steel ED2)
    6. "メンタル" ("Mental") (track 1 on BFCS)
    7. "Miracle" (track 4 on BFCS)
    8. Fleet of Fog Secret File: Part 1
    9. Fleet of Fog Secret File: Part 2
    10. Fleet of Fog Secret File: Part 3
    11. "トレモロ" ("Tremolo") (track 5 on BFCS)

I don't know why this ordering exists.

AniDB uses a different ordering, in its listing of specials:
    https://anidb.net/anime/9905
    S1 Fleet of Fog Secret File: Part 1 4m 04.04.2014
    S2 Fleet of Fog Secret File: Part 2 4m 02.05.2014
    S3 Fleet of Fog Secret File: Part 3 4m 06.06.2014
    S4 Music Video: Blue Field 4m 07.02.2014
    S5 Music Video: Innocent Blue 5m 07.02.2014
    S6 Music Video: Miracle 5m 04.04.2014
    S7 Music Video: Tremolo 4m 04.04.2014
    S8 Music Video: Dawning Light 6m 04.04.2014
    S9 Music Video: Expose 4m 06.06.2014
    S10 Music Video: Inapplicability 3m 06.06.2014
    S11 Music Video: Mental 4m 06.06.2014
    S12 Episode 10 Opening 2m 10.12.2013
    S13 Episode 9 Opening 2m 03.12.2013
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Oh I remember there was a promotional effort with this where they released official MMD models for Trident.

That happened quite frequently during that time. I remember Machine-doll wa Kizutsukanai doing it. It's become much less popular now, Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san was the last show to do it.
    * doesn't pant, but sweats (cats are only barely able to sweat, so they have to pant when it gets too hot)
    * high endurance for prolonged physical activity (I think this was mentioned in episode 1)
    * diurnal activity
    * manual dexterity (mentioned in this episode) and use of hands (compare Serval's drinking water to Kaban's)
    * lack of distinguishing physical features/abilities like large ears, tail, ability to climb, etc.
    * ingenuity/intelligence (at the end of both episodes)
  • edited 2019-12-05 14:30:28
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Are you watching Kemono Friends?
    Third Film of 'Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution' Postponed to 2021

I mean, considering it was supposed to come out this year, I assumed something was up when there was no more information after ANEMONE...
  • edited 2019-12-08 05:13:28
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I get the impression that the major virtue signal on which we're meant to base our support of the Z/X Code reunion protagonists versus the other teams they compete with is that they wear stereotypical gym clothes whilst the others wear battle suits. Stereotypical gym clothes being more moe, after all.

a.k.a. when you start trying to apply critical theory to the inner workings of animu
    ...wut?

I mean, I can understand the meaning of what you wrote but it just seems so disconnected from the rest of everything.
    That's the point!
  • I get the impression that the major virtue signal on which we're meant to base our support of the Z/X Code reunion protagonists versus the other teams they compete with is that they wear stereotypical gym clothes whilst the others wear battle suits. Stereotypical gym clothes being more moe, after all.

a.k.a. when you start trying to apply critical theory to the inner workings of animu

I have to wonder how this applies to other card games anime.
    In Hina Logi everybody wears gym uniforms because we're supposed to like everybody.
    my status regarding the variety of craft-girls franchises:
    * Arpeggio of Blue Steel - I love the music and the storytelling.
    * Kantai Collection - well i guess some of the fanart is cute.
    * Azur Lane - for some reason they look weird. also their boobs are too big.
    * everything else - basically no opinion
  • Azur Lane's characters aren't consistently bustier than Kancolle's when you just compare the direct counterparts, surprisingly(?). It tends to be the opposite if the KC one was by Shizuma Yoshinori. Like with the Saratogas and Nagatos.

The AL version is usually bigger all around if the KC one was by Shimada Fumikane, though. See: Taihou.

How much does Arpeggio lean on World War 2, anyway? Like, Kancolle still does events that point to the Pacific war, and Azur Lane does this with its "main" campaign.
    I'd say Arpeggio... basically has no idea how WWII went. Mainly since all the ships in Arpeggio are Japanese and they spend the whole show fighting each other.

I know that in the manga, things are kind of different (like I-402 and I-403 have a much bigger part) but I doubt it's more accurate.
    The Fog is not well versed in world history.
  • edited 2019-12-11 21:23:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Last Period

So apparently this is a parody of mobage? At least, according to the first review on MAL.
    It's a parody of an existing mobage, and probably one of the best comedy anime I've ever seen. It was one of my favourite anime of last year.
    For some reason I accidentally marathoned a big chunk of Kemono Friends last night.
  • edited 2019-12-12 08:47:32
    It only occurred to me a few hours ago that you might have meant "craft" as in "vehicle" and not as a reference to the construction mechanics in Kancolle and/or Azur Lane.
    Yeah, someone recently posted something sort of portmanteau of Arpeggio, Azur Lane, Kancolle, and Girls und Panzer, and I wanted to run through my opinions of them but then realized I didn't know where to draw the line. Girly Air Force?
  • Wait, why would GuP be there? The cast aren't personifications of military equipment.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Shingeki no Kyojin has pretty much dethroned Higurashi as my favorite anime series of all time. After rewatching the initial episodes I realize how it pales in comparison to it.
    The opening episode of Shingeki no Kyojin simply got me to not watch more Shingeki no Kyojin lol.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Funny, thats what drew me into it. It's not for everyone, it's a little bloody and at times really depressing.
    Girly Air Force is also a "Girls are powered up by their feelings for MC" show rather than a "These girls are [whatever it is this week]".

Ensemble Stars! has greatly improved my opinion of non-parody mobage adaptations.
  • edited 2019-12-13 18:46:32
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Wait, why would GuP be there? The cast aren't personifications of military equipment.

I think the point of that list was "cute anime girls x military vehicles". Or more generally, "cute anime girls x military equipment".
  • edited 2019-12-13 19:55:17
    Isn't GuP's premise basically a sports or tournament anime with things that look like military equipment?

Strike Witches is surely closer in aesthetic and concept (and not just because the creator of that worked on Kancolle), though the cast are based on WW2 pilots rather than their vehicles.

And there's things like Touken Ranbu and Girls' Frontline which definitely exist because of Kancolle despite being a bit further off in subject matter.
    What's Touken Ranbu?
  • edited 2019-12-14 00:15:20
    Also I bought a few more CDs from CDJapan and now think I'm tapped out on what I want to buy from them. I could try to look through their other merch but I don't think it'll be anything I hugely want.

(Also CDJapan seems to be nice enough to let my order still count as being over a certain value threshold for applying a coupon even when I use bonus points (i.e. store credit earned from a previous purchase) that would mean I end up paying for less than that threshold amount (not counting the coupon). Tokyo Otaku Mode doesn't let me do this.)

I did think I hit the jackpot with piano transcription scores but it's more so just a big list of things I didn't yet search.

I actually acquired some of these piano scores, and they have the problems I presumed they might have:
    1. These piano scores are often written more with the intent of being accessible to people with intermediate-level piano skill rather than being particularly accurate/exciting/well-arranged renditions of their originals. This isn't a huge surprise, since the publishers do still have to sell these things, and virtuoso-level stuff will have a smaller appeal than intermediate*-level stuff (which virtuosos can then rearrange to their liking anyway). But the result is that the arrangement sounds a bit dull sometimes -- even compared to some of the stuff one might find on YouTube these days. (And I'm still kicking myself for not getting ahead of the curve on arranging stuff and putting it on YouTube...I could have been famous by now...) For example, instead of having the left hand do the full rhythmic figuration of a song's accompaniment, it just plays quarter notes on the beat and that's it.
    2. There are occasional mistakes. For example, in the Angel Beats Piano Solo Album book, there's a transcription of Brave Song (the ED). The several fast notes at around 3:38 in the song (at the end of the bridge before the final verse), which are actually sung as F Eb G A Eb, are instead written as F Eb F G Eb. And this is despite the Angel Beast! -1st beat- Piano Arrange Album "Holy", which plays another piano arrangement of the song, clearly playing F Eb F A Eb (at around 4:26). (The A is particularly distinctive, because the song is in Eb major, wherein Ab would be diatonic to the key.)

That said, they're not completely useless. They can give useful insight, particularly to stuff that involves complex rhythms. Even though those transcriptions might not necessarily be what I'm looking for.

Anyhow I looked through sample pages of the Anison Muse books and decided that what they did was characterized by both those issues. I do like some of the songs a lot though, but given that they're sorta gimped versions of what I'd actually like, they've ended up as a low-priority purchase.

There are also Symphogear books and I haven't seen what they're like at all. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar.

* I'm not actually sure whether this counts as "Intermediate" or "Advanced" according to the terms that are commonly used here in the US. They might actually be Advanced. So that's why I'm using the term "virtuoso-level" for stuff that's, like, the level of Beethoven sonatas or higher.
    What's Touken Ranbu?

You never cease to amaze me.

It's sword boys, just to be clear. Very popular sword boys.

I mean, next you'll be wondering what Hypnosis Mic is.
    I'm tapped out on what I want to buy from them.

If only that ever happened to me.
  • edited 2019-12-14 11:29:09
    Touken Ranbu was described as like, Kancolle with a different subject matter and target demographic a while back, IIRC. At least one of the companies behind Kancolle (DMM) is involved. Wikipedia says that the gameplay basically is Kancolle.

Also, it's gotten more than one anime adaptation.

There's also Tenka Hyakken, the sword girls game by the other company responsible for Kancolle (Kadokawa). And yet again involving the Strike Witches guy.