If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    hey, i remember the Boston Consulting Group, they had a booth at a career fair event at my school

i even have one of their swag water bottles

didn't know they endorsed something this sleazy
  • edited 2019-11-27 12:25:05
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    The Boston Consulting Group basically invented most of of the biggest corporate warfare strategies out there.

Stuff that results in unfortunate logic like "Capitulating to the Communist Party of China is fine because if you don't somebody else will do it and then they'll use their overseas profits to come back to your domestic market and bury you."

They've also developed flawed corporate models, moved them into common use and then maintained brand-ownership over them whilst they themselves move on to better systems in-house.

They're basically a slightly nicer version of McKinsey Consulting (which, obviously, also endorsed the Holy Texts).
    didn't know they endorsed something this sleazy

To play devil's advocate here. Business is cutthroat, and nobody survives on morals and principles*. That's why (sensible) government regulation exists (I'm not a fan of government overreach either).

*I learned the other day that despite all the greenwashing and Fair Trade stuff, the most widely used vegetable oil right now, Palm Oil, only grows super-well where rainforest grew and the one body that's meant to well, "green it up" or at least not destroy people's lives is super bad at that.

Vaguely related; at some point a week or so ago I also learned the Values of Vertical Integration Until Just Above The Point of Legal Liability ie, why companies have "suppliers" versus growing their own palm oil trees and making their own clothes for $.0004 a garment.
    I feel like I've heard the name McKinsey before, too. Also at a career fair, probably.

Frackin' jerks.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I was reading through some posts from 2017 and thinking about things now and it occurred to me that there's an informal network of journalists and others whose entire job is to tell us not what brands are good at what they do, but what brands are okay because of reasons completely unrelated to product. It's probably a big part of why we now have everybody bathing their brands in rainbows every June, amongst other things.

As for me, I am not going to stop eating commercial ice-cream (despite my -admittedly mild- lactose intolerance), or using commercial soap, or... anything, because of this palm oil stuff. It sounds terrible, but it's better to be honestly terrible than a miserable holier-than-thou (or worse, a holier-than-thou hypocrite).
  • edited 2019-11-30 01:45:35
    So for reasons (apparently related to dollarization) Black Friday has been on the news more prominently than usual this year here.
    Perhaps I should've bought stuff, I've been thinking about lost of stuff I could be using so perhaps that was a good opportunity to do so.
    Edit: Oh yeah, and some stores are also participating in Black Friday here, which AFAIK is the first time it happens.
  • edited 2019-11-30 05:41:35
    Stores have been doing Black Friday here for about three years now? It's the one day I actively avoid going shopping since it's basically murderous out there.

But if you can handle yourself in a crowd and stuff you want is indeed on clearance get it on Amazon go all out.

Oh also paging gacek; Is this a real thing?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Oh also paging gacek; Is this a real thing?

Oh, definitely. "German domestic chemistry" being the literal translation of the phrase used in advertising. Shops specializing in it are relatively common and a longer walk around a town will probably let you encounter one. I have also encountered ads for small scale (less than professional) exchanges, usually organised on parish grounds.

As for the premise being true, we never used German ware, but plenty of people seem to believe it. A bit of a conspiracy theory, plus memory of the commie era and the Nineties, plus a sense of inferiority, plus, ahem, a perception of being perceived as inferior.
  • edited 2019-11-30 14:30:32
    Interesting...

Well, thanks for the info!

Oh by the way I found that picture.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Today I've been told a story positing it may be true. The story goes that us folks have a tendency to overuse household chemicals, so to make up for that the producers secretly make them less potent. Let's say I have some doubts, since it sounds like yet another conspiracy theory, except the bad guy is us. (So, unlike an average conspiracy theory, which tends to circulate among righties and lower class folks, it'd be a left-liberal, middle class conspiracy theory.)
    Oh my.

I don't think this type of reasoning would ever be employed by a manufacturer unless it also was just a cost-savings mechanism under the guise of helping people out.

Of course, they couldn't lie about it on their packaging because that'd leave them liable to lawsuits.

It's more likely that they'd try to put more chemicals into things to achieve economies of sale which sounds more like a right-wing conspiracy theory I guess.

It's kind of surprising me how much current left-leaning tendencies depend so much on blaming one's self for a lot of things.
    Brony's name is from the Polish word for "harrows".

Checks out.
    today, on how to screw with language:

how to lean a static number one way or another:

instead of saying "X" say "at least X" to suggest but defensibly-not-state that there could be more

instead of saying "X" say "at most X" to suggest but defensibly-not-state that there could be less
    I see the former much more often than I see the latter.

But also more often I just see so much fudging in a single instance that the individual devices don't matter.
  • edited 2019-12-06 15:17:06
    Also "greater than 40%" sounds greater than "41.4%".

I remember a Reddit thread with lots of people arguing about wether 5 is "at least 0" with sides clearly divided between the more math-oriented ones and those who aren't.

I forgot the name but it's a linguistics thing where it's assumed that you're given the most information the speaker knows about (unless they're lying or have ulterior motives).
    5 is "at least 0" with sides clearly divided between the more math-oriented ones and those who aren't.

The impression I get from the approximately 46bn times I've rounded a number is that there's only one valid opinion on this.
  • edited 2019-12-07 19:16:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    [14:13:28] [GMH> hey guess what
    [14:13:29] [GMH> discord is down
    [14:13:31] [GMH> lololol
    [14:13:39] [GMH> "API Errors / Latency"
    [14:14:33] [GMH> "Google is currently investigating an issue with SSD persistent disk in our region (what our database clusters store their data on). We are awaiting their resolution. Given the IO starvation, we are expecting continued API latency - as most if not all our datastores are currently degraded. We will post updates as we get them."
    [14:14:53] [GMH> Meanwhile on IRC:
    [14:15:01] [GMH> [14:13:39] [GMH> "API Errors / Latency"
    [14:15:01] [GMH> [14:14:33] [GMH> "Google is currently investigating an issue with SSD persistent disk in our region (what our database clusters store their data on). We are awaiting their resolution. Given the IO starvation, we are expecting continued API latency - as most if not all our datastores are currently degraded. We will post updates as we get them."
    [14:15:02] [GMH> [14:14:53] [GMH> Meanwhile on IRC:
    [14:15:28] [GMH> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    As much as I dislike Discord I'm not big on celebrating when a service I don't use/care for goes down.

I mean, of course, this does exemplify why you shouldn't trust bloaty apps run by single companies but still.
  • edited 2019-12-08 18:43:27
    If Discord weren't a walled garden I wouldn't hate it as much.
    Teen and two others referred to prosecutors over trading uranium online

Well, okay.
    This has allegedly happened here as well. The spooks jumped on some kid who bought a piece of uranium ore for his mineral collection, the story went.
  • edited 2019-12-10 23:01:50
    Reminds me of the kid who built (under supervision) a functional nuclear fusion reactor as a school project.

On unrelated matters, I wonder why I have a hard time explaining to people what 3D modeling is, everybody knows what 3DCG animations are but apparently not how they're made.
  • edited 2019-12-11 00:06:19
    Half-agreeing with people can be annoying to them.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Half-agreeing with people can be annoying to them.

lol Sure, why not.
    A couple of years ago I was vaguely anti-Christmas, but yesterday I spent an actual hour being jealous other people's Christmas displays.

I don't know why but as I've gotten older the seasonal stuff has been getting to me more, and I kind of started taking over preparations insomuch that even my grandma just kind of expects it from me.

I might post some Christmas recipes in the cooking thread after I've tried them out, too.
    I've been anti-christmas for awhile, but i've been re-evaluating my anti-consumerism, considering that in practice it does more harm to you in society than it helps. Or at least when it comes to my life.
    Every time you buy a bulk pack of novelty Christmas stockings from a discount store, you create millions of jobs (no fact-checks please).
    Every 60 seconds, a minute passes
    I ended up looking through some old posts and I realize it must seem like I've had a political personality transplant in the last six months, even though I don't feel like I've actually changed that much.

However, I do want to grab 2013 14w by the shoulders and shake all the offended-ness out of him.