If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I Keep My Visions To Myself (aka Dreams thread)

Comments

• edited 2019-11-16 13:28:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Imagine if the architecture you encountered was built not with an aim of accessibility but with an aim of being interestingly memorable.

This explains such features as having to crawl beneath something to get to a different part of the building, or having a front door that has a wall in front of it, or having stairs to the attic replaced by a wooden ramp with crossboards for "steps", or having a basement with a secret compartment which is entirely lined with carpet and seems to go very deep.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Senator Marco Rubio was standing on a shoreline in the early evening, wearing a suit but not shoes or socks. His pants were rolled up to his knees, and he was carrying a black duffel bag with sherbet green accents.

Before I could go over and talk to him, a flurry of reporters and press people rushed past me to talk to him, and he talked to them in a really politician-ey way. Just as quickly as they had rushed towards him, they dissipated.

Then he came over to me and grabbed my hand. Before I knew it, the scenery had changed entirely and we were in a suburb that was practically half-forest. We walked up a circular stairway, where he pointed out these gigantic smooth rocks underfoot that he told me he collected.

I noticed then that I was wearing a pair of exercise shorts with one green leg and one purple one, whilst the back was entirely black. They seemed really tacky and I was embarrassed I had them on in front of Marco Rubio.

I don't think I woke up after this but I don't remember anything else.

I swear this was not that sort of dream.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I had a couple interesting dreams recently which I failed to write down.

One of them involved me going into a fantasy world and surprising an evil cult of dark-robed individuals that was performing some sort of magic ceremony, and so I started a big fight and then escaped back to the real world and they followed me into the real world. The real world involved me clambering around the fluorescent lights between the balconies in some building.
    I had a dream with lots of different toys in it (it was a Black Friday-themed dream) but what I mainly remember is that there was a series of "LEGO Inspiration" blind-bagged sets.

They were miniature LEGO sets packaged in plastic that resembled either a Ninjago mini set or a LEGO Friends Heart Box but you couldn't see what you were getting. There were four sets total to get, but there were two different marked packs (so you could get one of two in one set of packaging, and the other two in the other).

The main thing I remember is that in one pack you could get either Tom Welling (the guy who played Superman in Smallville) or Elon Musk.
  • Are you suggesting that Luthor should be Musk instead of Zuckerberg?
    Yeah I'm not sure how I created this association in my brain either.

If Luthor was Musk, would his super villain power be stealing money from gullible investors?
    I like catching lizards with my hands, and so I caught an anole in our frontyard. Instead of the usual brown colors though, this one was white with black spots, and a little larger than usual. After I picked it up, for some reason, it seemed like its limbs were falling off, so then I dropped it. It fell into some water, and it turned into a folded stack of US$1 bills, gradually unraveling. I tried taking taking a bill but they weren't separable. I then picked up the entire stack and once it was out of water it turned into a shiny black frog with a bulbously round shape.
    What type of ungrateful dream-lizard turns into fake $1 bills?
  • edited 2019-12-01 09:23:32
    I almost never dream in foreign languages (English included) and my dreams almost never involve text that's legible by anyone besides the dream-dwellers, but I just dreamed I was reading a manga in (not right but close enough) Japanese with real text and real dialogue.
    It was about a schoolgirl with an inferiority complex that would get angry and storm out after losing at sports.
    That was only part of the dream tho. Besides that, sometimes it was a manga about Touhou's Sumireko (who is related to dreams, but this never came up) and sometimes it was a dream-life girl insecure about our jobs about graphic design, and me and others would try to help her by downloading tutorials for her. And sometimes it was about me playing Quake.
    For a second I thought you meant downloading tutorials into her like she was a Vocaloid or something.
    It was about a schoolgirl with an inferiority complex that would get angry and storm out after losing at sports.

This is surely a real thing somewhere out there.
  • edited 2019-12-01 16:36:03
    I was apparently visiting Louisiana, and a friend offered to take me on a canoe tour through the bayous and wetlands. I was staying, along with my family, in a hotel that adjoined some swampy wetlands, complete with tall trees and tall reeds.

We were about to start, then I realized that it had just started raining, and I forgot to bring my water bottle, and also my cell phone battery was dead.
    Also:
    Senator Marco Rubio was standing on a shoreline in the early evening, wearing a suit but not shoes or socks. His pants were rolled up to his knees, and he was carrying a black duffel bag with sherbet green accents.

Before I could go over and talk to him, a flurry of reporters and press people rushed past me to talk to him, and he talked to them in a really politician-ey way. Just as quickly as they had rushed towards him, they dissipated.

Then he came over to me and grabbed my hand. Before I knew it, the scenery had changed entirely and we were in a suburb that was practically half-forest. We walked up a circular stairway, where he pointed out these gigantic smooth rocks underfoot that he told me he collected.

I noticed then that I was wearing a pair of exercise shorts with one green leg and one purple one, whilst the back was entirely black. They seemed really tacky and I was embarrassed I had them on in front of Marco Rubio.

I don't think I woke up after this but I don't remember anything else.

I swear this was not that sort of dream.
    Florida Man Appears In Dream
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Random question: how does a transsexual fellow dream? Do they perceive their body as the assigned sex, or the one they identify with? Asking honestly - figured I'd ask here before going off to the interwebz (or digging through the thread).

If it matters, I have had dreams in which my body had traits of the other sex, but that's the extent of my out-of-gender dream experiences as far as I can say.
  • edited 2019-12-02 22:04:13
    As someone who isn't transsexual/transgender, I don't think I've consciously known of my body's gender in a dream.

Then again, my gender isn't something I think about very much in daily life either. my body is but just an interface by which my soul interacts with this world
  • I assume that just like with cis people, it varies.
  • edited 2019-12-04 16:55:48
    I took a ride on the Maryland PeopleMover light rail. (N.B. no light rail by this name exists in real life.)

For some reason, the route I rode was all inside a building. Kinda slow-speed, but I guess it was designed so that I could duck whenever there were low features on the ceiling, which I knew to do.

I rode it around the building, through hallways (of the width that would be designed for foot traffic, and even then, still not very wide, and lit with generic office fluorescent lighting, and also with classic 90s light-grey vinyl composition tile (VCT) flooring except for the part with the track for my rail car), and taking turns through a variety of doorways. I was looking for elevator machine rooms. I found my way to the boiler room, which isn't what I was looking for, and then eventually I found my way to a room with a giant red toolbox, and just for fun, also had an electronic (music) keyboard (albeit kinda dirty).
    my body is but just an interface by which my soul interacts with this world

I swear if you don't get isekai-d one day (I mean, without the death) then all my fickle media consumption has been for nothing.
    I assume that just like with cis people, it varies.

I think it's more about the general state of things, the average. Most times in dreams I'm myself at the age I am now, even if that makes no sense (ie all the time I'm at school). When I'm somebody else in a dream, it always feels clear that this is the case on some level even as I dream. There's more detachment, and I wake up way less often when stuff goes super-sideways in such a dream.

Though this issue is a mind over body thing, I can't imagine that you'd always dream as your ideal self. Like, I've never had abs or $900 Lacoste flip-flops in my dreams, though I guess those are things I want vaguely and not constantly so this might be an obvious flaw in my argument.

This feels like a question for psychiatrists to answer, but there's clear obvious emotional and political reasons as to why why we would never get a straight answer or why people would lie or why we would feel like we just weren't getting a fair answer. Maybe in the future when these things are less politically charged, we'll know the real answer to fascinating things like this.
    I wasn't in this dream, and it was really high-concept. It was a sitcom about a group of four gay men. Two had really long hair, one of those two had a beard (facial hair, not euphemism), and one of the others was really short.

So, anyways, in this episode they'd decided to volunteer as chaperones for an orphanage's camping trip. The average looking guy (meaning no long hair, beard or vertical-challengedness, let's call him like, Fred, I guess) had a thing for playing tricks on the long haired guy with no beard (Let's say... Jack).

So Fred sicks all these kids on Jack with water balloons filled with whipped cream, promising them all marshmallows or something when they hit him. Jack runs around like a maniac, and it's all vaguely amusing I guess.

Jack voices his annoyance at this to his friends (sans Fred) and long hair+beard (Steve?) tells Jack that Fred clearly has a crush on him, which is why he can't stop making fun of him. This is like a second season episode or something, where all the characters are established, and this has been known to the audience for some time. Jack considers this but isn't really too convinced.

Anyways, the short guy (Rick?) is missing the home comforts that are missing when you go camping, and has hooked up an expensive Nespresso-type coffee machine in his car (I guess he's supposed to be the handy fixer one?). When his friends catch him, Steve suggests they ship him back to the city in a box that's nearby, because he's so petite. Instead, he bribes them (along with some of the other non-main character volunteers) with fresh coffee.

Later on, they're dropping the kids off back at their orphanage, there's a bit of a twist. Th final member of the cast, a much younger guy (... I'm out of generic names) shows up with a box of used clothing which he wants to donate. His friends note that all of the clothing is too big for children and he claims something like "At least I'm not sending it to a landfill". The older guys are all bristling that he skipped the camping trip, but he informs them, very seriously, that there was an important Extinction Rebellion rally he had to attend.

It was odd how like... entirely self-contained this dream was. I've never had a similar idea in real life at all.
  • Anyways, the short guy (Rick?) is missing the home comforts that are missing when you go camping, and has hooked up an expensive Nespresso-type coffee machine in his car (I guess he's supposed to be the handy fixer one?). When his friends catch him, Steve suggests they ship him back to the city in a box that's nearby, because he's so petite. Instead, he bribes them (along with some of the other non-main character volunteers) with fresh coffee.

I lol'd
    My father and I were on a giant road, like, a giant road. He was driving, but I had the (paper) map, so it was a very convoluted trip around. We came to a junction that was the direction we were meant to be heading in, but my dad took a wrong turn so I had to recalculate our route.

The only way out of our little situation was to cut through a three-level parking garage that looked that it was meant more for Hot Wheels than real cars. The architecture was chaos, and the place was less than human friendly.

When we got to the gate to let us in, I had to get out of the car and grab a ticket. I could only use one hand since I had the map in the other and there was no putting it down for whatever reason. I almost dropped both the money and the three or so tiny receipts that came out of it, but I didn't.

Then my father got out of the car, and it was driven via conveyor belts into an elevator and parked... somewhere.

We had to go out a side-door onto a large balcony, where there was a small smattering of people waiting for their cars. It was lined with fancy tables and chairs as well as sun umbrellas with blankets under them. I got the impression a lot of them were waiting for their cars to be washed in the fancy Hot Wheels parking lot (which I knew... somehow).

Anyways, that's where my (dream-exclusive) older brother met us. He wasn't really interested in waiting around, and the whole reason we'd come in was to leave through the back-exit, so we needed to find our car.

All three of us went up a flight of stairs where I handed the smallest ticket to a receptionist, but then I also had to describe the car to her in minute detail (it's a car my dad drives in real life). Eventually, we got our car and I woke up.
  • edited 2019-12-26 11:21:52
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I seem to have had another one of those B-movie-screenplay dreams. I guess the inspiration, or how are you supposed to call the source material, was Stranger Things mixed with my recent browsing through RPGs in style of The X-Files (mostly Delta Green, if you are curious).

So, it went like this. The premise was that I belonged to some group of friends, like in Stranger Things (I don't remember faces), and we were solving (or plotting) some sort of alien-related conspiracy. I was told to switch off my cell phone or whatnot, but I failed to do so, and an alien tracked me down.

Here comes the fun part: it appeared to me as a motherly-looking woman. We had a conversation, and the alien told me they created humans by splicing their DNA with apes, or something. It turned out, the aliens just wanted to be loved, hence the motherly appearance. (I even asked, why specifically apes, but got no answer.) I had her number (I don't know how it worked either) recorded in my phone's phonebook under the name "Star Mom", and the alien was so happy, it (she?) was moved to tears by that.

[Edit: I forgot to mention something. In my religious education, I was taught that the reason God created humans was out of love. It's been a long while since, but this memory might've unexpectedly surfaced in this dream.]

The rest of the dream, I don't recall well. It could really just serve as an epilogue and ending. Also, if I had to write a screenplay based on this dream, I'd make the protagonists a group of UFO chasers (teenage optional). Apart from that, anything goes. The "me" could be lied to by the alien, or it could be a heart-tugging story about the need for love. [Or even vaguely theological, like I mentioned above.]
  • edited 2019-12-26 13:45:20
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    It turned out, the aliens just wanted to be loved, hence the motherly appearance

Terrifyingly brilliant strategy.
    vaguely theological

It's probably just because I finished watching episode 11 of Z/X Code reunion but I can't help but take even the tiniest traces of theology as the most sci-fi thing possible.
    a heart-tugging story about the need for love

A heart-tugging horror story?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    A heart-tugging horror story?

Well, then it would turn out in the end it's not really horror. Or if you prefer, are a horror till the end, when they turn into a different genre. I can think of one or two movies that end like that.
  • edited 2019-12-27 01:02:19
    Yesterday I was tired all day long and especially so when I laid down to sleep. At some point I was half-asleep and felt like my energy was being drained away, at some points I felt like I could no longer move (I could but not without some significant conscious effort) and I thought that I would die if I ran out of energy. I wasn't scared though, it wasn't a nightmare, I actually felt serene, I figure it was something like with those dying characters in fiction who just "want to rest". Of course eventually I "passed away".

I slept unusually well, though unfortunately real-life woke me up too early and the effect disappeared.
    I was playing a Metroid fangame. I got this fangame on physical media after signing up for some school club/activity involving volunteering to do some stuff.

Anyhow, I popped it into my computer, and started playing it. It was a relatively short game, and relatively easy. The starting area was a dark hallways where I picked up (1) a suit upgrade labeled "mystery item" that didn't seem to do anything, right beneath me, and (2) morph ball, immediately to the right. Going out this corridor revealed to me a fangame themed on an upgrade to morph ball that allowed me to fling myself way up high or way down low. It was a relatively pleasant playthrough, and rather atmospheric -- there was for example the "top of the world" which was a room that was very, very high, with a window to the outside, and a very tall tree on the inside, and there a (humorously placed?) sprinkler head on the white drywall ceiling, along with a hanging disco ball which rotated as the time outside passed from day to night to day to night.

After I finished this game, I was still wondering what the "mystery item" was. But it was rather fortunate that the game was easy and I was never in danger of dying due to lack of energy tanks or such, which was nice.

I was playing this game at my desk which was filled with all messy manner of papers, and my laptop, and was a cheapo folding table with a textured plastic surface while my chair was a cheapo plastic chair with textured surfaces and a wire frame. I was in a very tall room (at least like four stories high) lit with natural lighting from high above, in what appeared to be a lobby, albeit on a slightly raised area next to a ramp -- imagine if you walked in facing me you'd walk past some benches and indoor trees which I think were pine trees, and you'd see me and you'd walk past the railing behind which I was as you walked up a ramp that went up about two feet in elevation, then walked behind the railing to get to me. There were dark and light tiles scattered haphazardly that formed the flooring, more light tiles than dark. There was also something behind me, akin to the facade of a building, leading to other places.

Then I checked and the physical media on which the game came -- or maybe was it the physical container that contained that physical media -- seemed to have extended a small plastic passage somewhere near the bottom of the game media. It looked like a thing the morph ball could fit through. So I went back to the game and sure enough there was a new morph ball passage down near the bottom of the map.
    I was taking part in a raid in a VRMMO, with a group of about 30 or so other people. We were all dressed as students in-uniform, so I guess it was one of those school type JRPGs.

I could see the main boss outside one of the windows, and he was about to come in to the classroom we were in. Basically, it was a 9 foot tall Nendoroid man.

I seemed to be the only one who was actually concerned about the boss, a friend of mine (who was... is? a friend in real life from a while back) was nearby, and she wasn't all that bothered as he came in either.

Anyways, the boss cast Firaga but it seemed to be one of those spells that only took effect after a while and did randomized damage across the field. I'm assuming here, because the spell never hit. Nobody seemed interested in doing much, so I brought up my weapon, a giant squishy crystal ball type thing, and tried to cast Blizzard on him instead, just assuming he was a fire elemental even though he didn't really look like one.

Then, the dream suddenly 180'd and the Nendoroid man was replaced with a dentist lady. All of the students in the room were to get immediate dental care, all at once, using the same equipment without washes. In fact, she was passing out these giant syringes of mouthwash and everybody was just chugging from them.

My friend told me we should go over to where she was and get our work done, but I vehemently refused, telling her I'd go to the dentist by myself. Our argument got so bad I actually left the room and she followed me out to try and convince me. Then I woke up.

I should not be this afraid of socialism.
    lol wat
    I mean in (dream?) logic, this is more collectivism that approaches extreme budget-conscious communism but the concepts were pretty muddled in my (dream) mind.

Anyways, I was playing a Pokémon game... but it wasn't? Mainly, the game looked like a modern 3D Pokémon game and I said to myself it was a Pokemon game, but there were no Pokémon .

In this game, you traversed the world and mainly just explore. One area was an underground cave that was covered in vines. In this area, you could use an item that looked like a TM. You literally raised a half-disc shape to the sky and it cast 'Tear', which was a rain spell. To undo it, you had to cast 'Anti-Tear'.

I was experimenting in this area, and so I got onto this raised island area via a bridge, then threw myself off one of the sides without an enclosure. Predictably enough, I plunged to the unseen ground below before re-spawning.

Later I was in a more civilised area, much like a town in Pokémon , but much less populated by buildings. More like a small settlement with lots of untamed land. I spoke to the owner of one the buildings. Not sure what transpired, but I think I completed the quest in that area and was heading out.

On my way out, I was approached by the character who would become my travel-mate. Throughout the game's story, there were points where she was shown to be following me around.

Anyways, in this in-game event, she directly commented on the race of the character, because she's got her ulterior motives for wanting to tag along with him and thinks the best way to ingratiate herself is to come off as a cool intersectionalist type.

Unfortunately, I was playing a blond white boy character, so her lines in the event ended up being "I am totally concerned with... uh...[checks notes] the issues affecting straight young men!"

The player character, like in Pokémon, was one of those silent types. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I woke up from the dream because it was just too hilarious to keep going.

Meanwhile for some reason my dreams don't involve anime characters but instead involve weird architecture.
  • edited 2020-01-17 04:49:28
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    This... this was one of those dreams.

I had just moved to a new city. It was a really big city, one that was mainly known for it's fancy schools, colleges, a thriving scene various finance/legal firms, and...

defense contractors!

It quickly became obvious, even if dream me didn't realize at the start, that this was a city with secrets and conspiracies. I had moved there with my family (I was a teenager, again) and my (dream-exclusive)12-year old little sister.

The first thing that happened was a strange occurrence at my school, which was a pretty large building. A girl had disappeared, and for some reason the friend group I had entered somehow knew something about it. In this group was Nancy Drew. Yes, Nancy Drew. A teacher questioned us, but nothing much came of it.

Despite most of the school being extremely well-furnished and well-lit, the corridor this interrogation took place in was run down, with gross oily tiling and fluorescent halogen lights. Half of the lights were falling out of their casing, the others were flashing erratically, and there was cabling everywhere. You know, the usual for this sort of scene.

After school, Nancy Drew skedaddled somewhere quickly and I walked home by myself. But first, I had to go pick up my little sister. In this part, I wasn't wearing a school uniform, though I remember doing so during the corridor bit. Anyways, it probably dream retconned to contrast with my little sister's school.

At this point, I hadn't actually dreamed the part where I picked her up at school, which is important for later.

So at home (my actual house, for some reason), I broke into a rendition of Victoria Justice's Make it in America, because that's what happens when your sci-fi story is a dream by 14w.

I was in the courtyard singing when Nancy Drew and a female detective showed up. I wasn't even embarrassed at being caught out or anything, I just asked what was going on.

To be clear, though they weren't related, both Nancy Drew and the detective had the same shade of Bella Thorne "maybe real maybe from a Revlon pack" red hair.

When I went through my front door, Nancy Drew and the detective stayed at the door. Nancy Drew made a joke about how I hadn't invited them in (I'd expected them to follow). I had a feeling that though Nancy Drew was just a run of the mill person, the detective was maybe a vampire or close enough to one (probably has to do with this).

So I invited them in, and they told me they needed me to scan a document, so I did. Then they took it and ran off.

The next day, around lunchtime, Nancy Drew pulled me out of class and told me that the document I'd scanned was a secret map sent by some mysterious person, and it's secrets could only be revealed by my fancy printer (uh... yeah) and so we ran off to the place the map had indicated.

It was a grassy knoll on a very steep hill, a place where you could see most of the city from. Anyways, the detective was already there, and she was examining a dismembered human body. It was a girl, with all of her arms and legs cut off.

Frankly, I was completely out of my mind with fear, and it was pretty justified since I knew that one reason the detective couldn't use her fancy printers at the police station was that both she and Nancy were being watched.

At this point I knew it had to be either the work of the secret conspiracy running the city, or a tragic case of another person having been experimented on. The experiments had driven them crazy and also turned them into a terrifying chimera.

Anyways, I could never make sure of either, because just then the large clock tower that formed part of my little sister's school chimed and I realized I had to pick her up. I left Nancy and the detective to keep investigating.

When I got to my little sister's school, I was struck by the students conformity. They poured out of the building like a grey tartan liquid, and in that moment I was terrified for my little sister's psyche, though she didn't seem to be.

Then I saw a lab on the side of the school and asked her what it was, and she said it was the "attached high school". I had a feeling that whoever had attacked the dismembered girl was someone, who had possibly become something, who had "graduated" from that lab.

I think the main influences for this dream were Magia Record and Law & Order: SVU.