If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2019-11-17 07:02:38
    trans rights
    Obligatory introductory music post:

My music taste falls into two categories: 90s/early 2000s female rockbands and niche artists on bandcamp.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Ah class.

It's up to me to bring the taste-level down then.

I've been listening to this song semi-frequently nowadays. Now, I don't love FAKY, and they have way better songs, but my brain keeps craving this song, so here we are.

I think the lyrics are pretty special though.
  • edited 2019-11-17 18:42:26
    trans rights
    I'll admit that while K-pop doesn't really hook me in a musical sense, (except for a couple BLACKPINK songs) I always have to sit through for the incredibly precise choreography and cutting edge fashion.

I'll help bring the class back down with some weeb music:

I have a serious weakness for music with my ASMR triggers in it, so when Spotify dregs up a banger like this I end up having to listen to it 500,000 times.
    K-pop doesn't really hook me in a musical sense

FAKY are Japanese, but they really don't fit all too well into the J-pop scene which is super into the whole low-tech thing like Aimyon and Hoshino Gen.
  • I can't believe I didn't notice it was Japanese; shows how closely I was listening to the actual music lmao.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I have a hunch you will recognize the tune. (I didn't, but I'm not you.)

That wasn't posted before, was it?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's specifically the opening theme of an anime series that is characterized by an infamous amount of religious imagery and Christian (or perhaps more generally, Abrahamic) eschatology references.
    Numakura Manami is ending her singing career early next year.

I'm really sad because she's the only seiyuu aside from like, Mizuki Nana and Uchida Yuuma, whose albums I've listened to in the last two years more than once. Her albums are full of ah-mazing songs.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

now look at this

DUNGEONWAVE
    I feel like this should have been super big in the 70s, but that was when classical music as shorthand for fantasy was kind of emerging in a big way.

Lately I've been feeling like, well, my brain is slowly atrophying and will only accept new information if it relates to fiscal policy or corporate branding. I've heard a lot of people talk about idols giving them like, the strength to keep going and stuff, and I've always kind of seen it as a marketing gimmick that makes no sense.

So when lol released a music video yesterday set in a university all about trying and stuff like that, I was really surprised to find myself genuinely uplifted.

So yeah, look up!!
    In music, the source code is the score, while the compiler is the performer.
    updated the big list of jpop i like

songs added

Destiny
    Bravely You
    Ai no Uta -words of love-
    PRESENTER
    the cave ambience sound effect from Yoshi's Story uses the same creaky door and chattering bones sound effect as is sampled in "Abandoned Pit" from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

No, don't laugh, it's quite interesting. Commenters under the video say it reminds them of Spanish guitar.
  • I listened to some of the tracks on the second Symphogear XD album and like, it's kind of a letdown that we'll probably never get Carol sounding as murderous as she used to be.

Also, the 3x Gungnir song is just not very Gungnir.
    I find XV's smug Carol quite okay, if not exactly as iconic.
    Commenters under the video say it reminds them of Spanish guitar.

The start reminds me of the opening segments of some modern EDM songs (like Selena Gomez and Marshmello's Wolves).

The more up-tempo parts do sound really distinctively European but I'd struggle to go with Spanish outright.

Wondrous how different instruments can completely change the feel of a song.

Ocean eye !
    1 month ago
    "Hey, what's the budget for this music video?"

"No."

eunoia
    1 month ago
    makes it a lot better though lol

Trevor Miles
    1 month ago
    @eunoia wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

Mr79xlch
    1 month ago
    It worked though

MrRecklessryan
    1 month ago
    That's an easy one, PRICELESS!
  • edited 2019-12-09 20:11:14
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

This is apparently a new single by a relatively well-known metal band, one rather straightforwardly called "Rotting Christ". I have only ever listened to one of their songs beforehand, but the thing's kept showing up in my Youtube recommendations, so I finally gave it a try and it turned out it's quite decent. I went on to check the comments, and it's full of Indian guys going on about how cool it is that the band made a song out of a real Sanskrit prayer. Apparently, in South Asia there even is such a thing as Vedic metal.

Which got me thinking. I mean, the band is literally called Rotting Christ. By that logic, shouldn't they rather sing about how Shiva is a loser or whatever? Or do they specialize in Christ only and leave the rest for others? Or maybe Hinduism counts as "Pagan enough" for black metallers to accept, given how Vedic religion is genetically related to pre-Christian pantheons of Europe they so cherish? And shouldn't Vedic metal be regarded like Christian rock? Turns out, there are so many questions.

(edit reason: minor expansion)
    And shouldn't Vedic metal be regarded like Christian rock?

Well, presumably they like the idea of paganism rather than practicing the tenets of it. They use this idea to drive the wedge of edge into modern life.

If paganism were the major religion instead, they'd surely adapt some other thing to seem edgy (probably not Christianity owing to how straight-laced it is).
    Musique concrète (French: [myzik kɔ̃kʁɛt]; lit. "concrete music")[nb 1] is a type of music composition that utilizes recorded sounds as raw material (Editors 1998). Sounds are often modified through the application of audio effects and tape manipulation techniques, and may be assembled into a form of montage (Editors 1998). It can feature sounds derived from recordings of musical instruments, the human voice, and the natural environment as well as those created using synthesizers and computer-based digital signal processing. Compositions in this idiom are not restricted to the normal musical rules of melody, harmony, rhythm, metre, and so on. It exploits acousmatic listening, meaning sound identities can often be intentionally obscured or appear unconnected to their source cause.

This sounds so much like...YouTube Poop.
    Tried to listen to a piece of it once. The experience was much like beholding one of these modern art pieces where the whole composition is made of a turd, a religious icon, an assortment of junk, some sploshes of paint, and a wagonload of pretentiousness. Didn't really have much desire to try another one. And I'm a person who enjoyed that:

• edited 2019-12-19 04:52:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    That's actually...not bad? Aside from the oversaturated audio (I forgot the right term for that) sounding a little bad. It's got a decent groove to it, and even makes use of tonality.

• So like, how deep does this rabbit hole of gimmicky metal bands go?
    Looks more parody than gimmicky, unless you count parody as a gimmick. Anyways, there's quite a few of them in either case. Do we understand a gimmick in terms of lyrical themes, the appearance and imagery, both, or anything else?

tl;dr deep.
  • edited 2019-12-25 21:28:18
    There's some sort of plotline with recurring characters and concepts across Gloryhammer's work, so the gimmick has more specific focus than just parodying.
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Do we understand a gimmick in terms of lyrical themes, the appearance and imagery, both, or anything else?

All of them, really.
    All of them, really.

In this case my personal favourite is Satan's Penguins, a penguin-themed black metal band:

fourteenwing's music retrospective - 2019

Best/s

Singles:
    • Aoi Eir - Hoshi ga Furu Yume
    • Fairies - METROPOLIS (If I wasn't biased towards Eir, this was literally the best single of the year).
    • Mizuki Nana - METANOIA
    • ReoNa - Null
    • FANTASTICS from EXILE TRIBE - Dear Destiny
    • Girls2 - Daijobu

Character Singles:
    • BEST FRIENDS! - Hitoriianai!/Be star
    • Trickstar, Eden - Kiseki
    • Hentatsu Inspired Album "HENSUKI JUKE BOX" (No! I'm not kidding!)

EPs:
    • TAEMIN - Famous (Best K-pop artist J-pop EP of the Decade)
    • Utada Hikaru - Face My Fears EP (it delivered!)
    • Kakihara Tetsuya - GET OVER HERE

Albums:
    • Numakura Manami - AI
    • WEBER - deception
    • Nishikawa Takanori - SINGularity

Bands:
    • lol
    • Fairies
    • TOHOSHINKI

Newcomers:
    • GENIC
    • Aiba Aina

Comeback: STEREO. DIVE. FOUNDATION!!

New Favourite Songs:
    Born Free - Mizuki Nana
    bring back!! - lol
    like that!! - lol
    Tone - Aoi Shouta
    Yellow - STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION
    SUN COMES UP - GENIC
    HISTORIES - GENIC
    Kotae - Abe Mao
    TEMPEST - Ishihara Kaori
    ANTIDOTE - FAKY
    Carry on - MONSTA X
    STAY GOLD - (K)NoW_NAME
    Agape - ChouCho
    Howl - LiSA
    Kiss Hug - Uchida Yuuma
    Rainbow - Uchida Yuuma
    Time Camera - FANTASTICS from EXILE TRIBE
    Human - Shuta Sueyoshi
    Elmo - Shuta Sueyoshi
    Unmei no Inryoku - Numakura Manami
    Egao no Kanata - Chiho feat. majiko
    Kono Sekai ni Hanataba wo - Kimi no Orphee
    Negai - Uru
    One minute - Tigh-Z
    Wagamama de Gomakasanaide - THE ORAL CIGARETTES
    forget-me-not - ReoNa

Absolute Nos
    • lol - lolli-lolli
    • Mia REGINA - RE! RE!! RE!!! (just... the whole EP)

Biggest Hype 2019
    • STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION's FIRST ALBUM
    • lol's third album, lightning
    • Shuta Sueyoshi third album, pret a porter