If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2019-09-24 06:14:14
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I tried writing up a Fall 2019 preview post but lost motivation as soon as I moved away from Aikatsu on Parade!, so I decided to just do a megapost about that.

I've been doing a lot of megaposts lately...

-AIKATSU ON PARADE!-

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! All 60+ main idols of the Aikatsu! Series come together in this highly anticipated (by me, the one guy at CR, lots of other Aikatsu! Onii-sans and well... the target demographic I guess) series that delves into the universes of Starlight Academy* (Aikatsu!), Yotsuboshi Academy* (Aikatsu Stars!) and Star Harmony Academy* (Aikatsu Friends!).

*TL Note: Academy means Gakuen.

The premise is that Kiseki Lucky (if it ends up actually being Raki as everybody insists I'll be surprised) from the Friends! universe, is having in her first ever real performance, supported by the two main characters of Aikatsu Friends!, when she uses an Idol Pass developed by her older sister who is an Aikatsu! engineer. This accidentally shakes loose the basis of the three Aikatsu! universes, which are (incidentally) connected by their Aikatsu! spaces.

It's fun to see the Friends! universe used as a base for this whole interdimensional plotline, because the Friends! universe is the only one where the Aikatsu! space has been expanded beyond the simple dressing rooms. From the very start of Friends!, the Dressing Room space was updated to portray some sort of... space between worlds. It's the perfect basis for hopping between worlds.

So Lucky will learn from the best of the best; the main characters and rivals who came before her, and try to create a Legend Premium Dress based on her own nascent brand.

As an Aikatsu! Series, this is extremely exciting but also kind of concerning. The main cast populated by protagonists means a gigantic over-representation of Cute attribute characters. That's all of them but Mio, the duetaragonist of Friends!, who is a Cool attribute idol.

This might revive fears I had in the later stages of Stars!, where Cute stages (and therefore Cute performances in the anime) came to dominate the show, but Friends! quickly fixed that. However, this meant a lot of Cool instead (Friends! has more Cool attribute idols than any other type, and therefore stages to go with them). In fact, I think they might have been planning this whole On Parade! thing for a while, and the new Cool characters were an attempt at balance for when it came around. However, this doesn't explain how little Pop there is in the franchise overall.

Lucky is played by Aira Rin, who won the second ever Aikatsu! Miracle Audition. The first winner, Matsunaga Akane, plays Friends! protagonist Yuuki Aine. Before playing Lucky, Rin voiced Harukaze Wakaba, a fairly new Aikatsu Friends! character. Overall, expect lots of talking to one's-self. Hikasa Yoko plays both Elza from Aikatsu Stars! and Hibiki from Aikatsu Friends!. Morohoshi Sumire plays both original Aikatsu! protagonist Hoshimiya Ichigo and Aikatsu Friends! A.I. Coco, and so on.

In a revival of a longstanding tradition, MONACA will be back handling overall music production. No word yet if onetrap (Aikatsu Stars!) or DIGZ Motion Sounds. (Aikatsu Friends!) will be on-call as well.

By the way next cour when Aikatsu on Parade! starts, both Ichigo and Akari's seiyuu will also be launching their solo careers, and next year Ema's seiyuu from Friends! will start her own music career (though her song frankly is really odd and I don't like it).

Tomita Miyu will be singing the opening theme to Houkago Saikoro Club and Morohoshi Sumire will be singing the opening theme to The Ascendance of a Bookworm/Honzuki no Gekokujou.

It's funny to see since even though the 2nd Season of original Aikatsu! constantly nerfed Aoi (and I think she was the last to get a Constellation Dress, and by the time she did nobody really cared anymore), her seiyuu, Tadokoro Azusa, has had a solo career for longer than any of her contemporaries.

Adding to all of this, outside of Friends!, all of the singing in Aikatsu! is done by the series' dedicated idol units; STAR☆ANIS and AIKATSU☆STARS! (as well as some singers from their talent management agency DearStage such as Risa from Denpagumi.inc). I wonder how exactly the singing voices will be approached in On Parade!

STAR☆ANIS and AIKATSU☆STARS! have never stopped performing for the franchise, but the implication was that they were to be replaced going forward by the seiyuu-focused units like BEST FRIENDS! (made up of the voice actresses who also performed their own songs). There's also songs for characters like Elza, voiced by Risa from Denpagumi.inc, who is frequently unavailable for live shows due to her own schedule.

A part of me hopes Hikasa Yoko, who has now sung for Hibiki in Friends!, might re-sing the Elza songs as her own, but I don't think my heart will ever accept anybody as Elza aside from Risa, who brought an amazing authoritative tone to her performances. Plus, the BEST FRIENDS! themselves might prove unavailable for events due to their various singing careers (except Hikasa, who gave up on hers years before becoming an Aikatsu! regular).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Aikatsu: Into the Aikatsu-verse
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Which Hibiki? I assumed you meant the Symphogear one but that doesn't seem related.

Meanwhile, I did not mean to sign up for two cours of Ensemble Stars!, but I guess that's where I am now.
    That second trailer's preview image shows the boy making a face that makes him look like a blue-haired Hibiki.
    I don't think I've watched an anime that is as painfully subpar in all aspects, including technical ones, as Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle in a long time.

I was so looking forward to it as well.
  • edited 2019-10-12 02:04:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Looking at my own history, it seems I finished Endro on September 24, then watched both episodes of Dragon Half on September 26, then began watching Black Rock Shooter on September 30. It took me until October 10 to finish all 8 episodes of BRS-TV, and I watched one or two episodes per day if at all, and during which there were five days where I didn't watch any BRS (including three days where I watched nothing at all, one day where I watched an unrelated music video, and one day where I marathoned Pokémon Generations, which is a series of 18 4-minute shorts reviewing major events in the Pokémon series history and thus not story-heavy at all).

At this rate, so far, I have completed 19 cours of anime in about 9.5 months (counting BRS and Manaria Friends as full cours, and counting cours that I finally got around to finishing as finished this year, but ignoring the one movie I've seen as well as all the various shorts and OVAs).
    I have completed 19 cours of anime in about 9.5 months

That seems like a lot. 19 entire seasonal shows? Like, even though I watched Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live this year I'm pretty sure I watched... less than you did somehow?
    I have completed 19 cours of anime in about 9.5 months

That seems like a lot. 19 entire seasonal shows? Like, even though I watched Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live this year I'm pretty sure I watched... less than you did somehow?
    No, not 19 shows, and not "watched" 19 cours either. Just finished them.

I know I started Heartcatch Pretty Cure before the year began, and I know I watched the first half of Sword Art Online II about a year ago.

You can see the full list here: https://anime.plus/GlennMagusHarvey/history,anime
  • edited 2019-10-13 05:31:24
    Just finished them.

[lets out deep breath] My ota pride was really hurt there for a moment.

But... it seems you've completed way more episodes than I have. Like, over 100% more, in the last 3 weeks.

Oh 18 of those are Pokemon Generations... phew.
  • edited 2019-10-13 05:30:50
    Just finished them.

[lets out deep breath] My ota pride was really hurt there for a moment.

But... it seems you've completed way more episodes than I have. Like, over 70% more, in the last 3 weeks.

Pokémon Generations doesn't really count since it's 18 episodes x 4 minutes/episode.

I marathoned the entire thing. It's just highlights of key events in the plot of the Pokémon games.
    Yeah I edited my post when I figured it out.
  • edited 2019-10-16 11:45:44
    I found this interview with two Gainax founders.

One of them says that crowdfunding for anime is basically advertisement and it won't let them make thing without sponsors, which is, something.

Also, kind of depressing that out of all the upcoming stuff discussed, only the non-Gainax things have actually gotten made in the years since.
    The standard crowdfunding process really is a big advertisement campaign, unfortunately. It involves building interest/hype/etc. in ways that could easily run counter to being just able to create art without much in the way of distraction. The creator is still pitching the idea to some people -- just that it's a different set of "some people".

There's probably some crowdfunding things out there that are more plain, but they would hardly expect to raise much money without being treated as a professional advertisement job.
  • edited 2019-10-16 20:25:35
    Comments on ZXCR 1:

1. obvious fanservice is repeatedly obvious.
    2. that's some really resilient grass that resists skid marks after that sort of abuse from tires.
    3. red hair girl has a weird voice.
    4. is that man a bad guy playing both sides or did I see it wrong?
    that's some really resilient grass that resists skid marks after that sort of abuse from tires.

That's one of the many benefits of raising 2D grass where 3DCG vehicles are popular.
    is that man a bad guy playing both sides or did I see it wrong?

I'm not sure either. I'm actually assuming not NERV is conducting some sort of experiment, or they actually aren't involved with the interdimensional threat presented so far.

Well, my main thought about Code reunion was how intriguing the relationship between the main duo is. I always appreciate a partners series where the main character is pulled out of their shell by a dynamic, confident otherworlder.
    https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1807373

And this is an example of how I get information on what shows people pan.

Note that some of them actually turn out to be pretty popular shows. Before I watched these, Angel Beats and Kyoukai no Kanata were known to me as stuff people panned.
  • edited 2019-10-22 11:54:58
    I thought people liked Kyoukai no Kanata. I mean, KyoAni went right ahead and made Musaigen no Phantom World after, and I'm pretty sure that has much less merit as coherent story.
    at least you agree with me that RWBY counts as an anime.

G-M-HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyways I'm surprised this thread has gone about a page and not devolved into a flamewar over a particular show.

I feel like people dislike Eureka Seven AO less on it's own merits and more because everybody else disliked it. I mean, I love it more than I did even the original Eureka Seven.
    In retrospect I think most of the criticism of Kyoukai no Kanata was either a sort of facetious resentment that it shared an abbreviation with Kara no Kyoukai (and there were at least a few people around these troper subcommunities that were fond of the latter) or dislike of the "cute anime girl" and glasses fetish appeal of Mirai's character design. And maybe some of it was from people who just didn't "feel it" from the story?

That thread probably hasn't become a flamewar because there's just so damn many things that are named.
    Yeah I'd say the criticism of Kyoukai no Kanata is probably a mix of those things. I know people loved Kara no Kyoukai, but they really should be able to admit that it's about as solid a story as a Nasuverse thing can be, in that it's probably not as great as you'd like it to be.
    That thread probably hasn't become a flamewar because there's just so damn many things that are named.

Part of why I think it should become one soon is the number of shows, but I guess it's a double-edged sword.

I'm really surprised than Ensemble Stars! somehow managed to improve on the first cour and become even better. I'm actually looking forward to episodes quite a bit now.
    Part of why I think it should become one soon is the number of shows, but I guess it's a double-edged sword.
    A good bunch of the regulars there are savvy enough that they're more likely to complain that something is bait than actually jump into an argument over any particular show like this.
    I think BanG Dream 3rd Season is the first time ever where the CDs come with the anime BDs, and not the other way around.
    GMOH: gratuitous dragon-miko
    GMOH: black planet? more like purple planet
    DYRE: black is always purple or blue
    DYRE: or I guess red if it's Ikaruga
    GMOH: ira looks like dominica skoda
    GMOH: oh so there ARE boys with these magical z/x-mon powers
    GMOH: she has a sadistic side like frederica too lol
    GMOH: also lol did the show decide there was alresdy enough rigel fanservice
    GMOH: so she didn;t participate in the hot spring scene
    Ohey I just finished watching this episode.
    oh so there ARE boys with these magical z/x-mon powers

Yeah but like... they were all hidden from view (in tents even).
    GMOH: also lol did the show decide there was alresdy enough rigel fanservice

Considering the amount of blue one fanservice we're getting no matter what the occasion I think it might have actually been a character-based thing.

I thought the whole "Rank E girls live in a derelict space" thing was pretty funny. In fact this whole show never seems to overstay it's welcome.

Last week I wondered how they were keeping the animation budget up so high and this week I learned it's because they spent it all on the first two episodes.
  • edited 2019-10-26 15:26:23
    keeping them out if view was probably in-tent-ed
    oh here are the other comments from IRC

GMOH: also wow the opinions on this episode on MAL are (1) polarized and (2) too often stupid
    DYRE: does rigel even like have the ability to change her clothes? the answer might be yes, but I don't know if it ever came up in Z/X Ignition at least
    DYRE: I'm actually surprised at how many replies there are on the episode 3 thread on MAL
    DYRE: I don't go on MAL but like, the equivalent episode discussion thread on Reddit only has one comment
    GMOH: rigel has a transformation sequence
    GMOH: i dunno if she can change into anything else
    GMOH: she does have a leotard-ish battle suit though which could double as a swimsuit if one squints right
    I'm actually surprised at how many replies there are on the episode 3 thread on MAL

Yeah I mean, MAL threads for the less popular shows every season usually have very few people in them.

I think Rigel can probably change her clothes, since like, Amrita can do it.
  • I finished Princess Principal and like, even though some things didn't go as I'd wanted, it was pretty close to the kind of "you wouldn't get this outside of anime" wackiness that I can always use more of.
    Kabukichou Sherlock has a lot of that but it's inversely proportional to the amount of worthwhile content.