If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Thoughts on the Spanish Language

Comments

• edited 2019-09-23 22:46:14
    Yeah, it can, more or less the same way as in English.

By the way, "no tengo bastante X" sounds weird, you might have meant to use the set phrase "no tengo mucho X" instead.
  • edited 2019-12-18 07:21:55
    IJBM: "último" in a context where it's not clear if it means "last" or "latest".

Also I finally learned how to put tildes on vowels. Edit: On my phone, d'oh
  • edited 2019-12-18 17:54:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Does "gatumadre" mean anything beyond "tu madre" and the fact that it looks like "Gatorade"?

I have a feeling that there's a cussword at the front but I don't know my Spanish cusswords.
  • edited 2019-12-19 22:31:48
    It's shortened "chinga tu madre", "fug your mother" or something like that in Mexican Spanish.

Edit: Sp.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, I figured as much.
  • TIL about the variety in how many of a cat's legs you shouldn't look for, and for that matter whether it's legs or feet:
    http://blogs.molinodeideas.com/cometario/por-que-le-buscamos-tres-pies-al-gato-en-lugar-de-cinco/
    I've always heard it as "buscarle las cinco patas al gato".
    the five legs?
  • Five legs, yeah.
    You mean the las there? Yeah, the five legs of the cat.
  • edited 2020-02-04 21:36:31
    Oh, I was more curious about what this phrase meant. I hadn't read the link when I posted that.
  • edited 2020-03-28 03:27:40
    ¿Es "Firulais" un nombre común de mascotas?
  • Es el nombre estereotípico de perro, el equivalente a "Fido" en inglés.
    No conozco a nadie que le haya puesto "Firulais" a ninguna mascota.
  • edited 2020-04-24 12:52:57
    el equivalente a "Fido" en inglés.

De hecho creo que me confundí. No recuerdo si "Fido" es común en inglés, ahora que lo pienso quizá sea igual que "Firulais" en español, otro nombre conocido de mascota que nadie le pone a nada.

En fin, me vengo a dar cuenta que, al no ser James Watts un nombre alemán ni nada (el era escoces) no tiene sentido que la unidad de potencia se llame "vatio". OTOH guatio...
    Edit: ortografía.
    ¿Qué es "guatio"?
    (Also, does "me vengo a dar cuenta [que/de]" basically mean "I've come to the realization [that/of]"? Google Translate gives it this way.)
  • ^^ Vatio/Watt pronounced with a w-esque sound.
    ^ Close, it means "I just realized that...". I think it's a local thing.
    Oh I get your point now, I think.

(What would be an informal way to say "I get it" in Spanish?)
  • I can't think of any way besides just plain "ya entendí". Not terribly informal, I guess.
    lagarto = un reptil
    lagarta = un insecto o una palabra despectiva(?)
    Decided to pick up an old Spanish workbook I started using as a kid, but only ever got about halfway through, from a children's Spanish class at a community college.

Thoughts from today's reading:

* TIL: When indicating someone's profession, the indefinite article is not used unless there is an adjective describing the profession. e.g. "Hermano es actor." vs. "Hermano es un actor americano."

* TIL: "en casa" = "at home" (note the difference in preposition, but the analogous lack of article)

Knowing that English and Spanish use articles and possessives differently, I wonder which would be more standard to indicate that one's book is in one's bedroom...and given that one would be more standard, what would saying the other one imply.

"¿Dónde está tu libro?"
    (A) "Mi libro está en el dormitorio."
    (B) "Mi libro está en mi dormitorio."

May I ask you for your advice, @Stormtroper?
    Also is there even any Spanish word that is equivalent to "dorm" or "dormitory" in English, in the sense of being a dedicated residence hall for students at a university? Neither Wiktionary nor Wikipedia suggests there is one aside from "residencia universitaria" or "residencia estudiantil" which seem more generic. Wiktionary says that "dormitorio", normally meaning bedroom, is colloquially used to refer to this as well (presumably a back-formation from English?). Am I missing something or is there a stronger tradition of students finding housing within the surrounding area and/or less of a tradition of dedicated student housing in Spanish-speaking countries?
  • "Hermano es actor." vs. "Hermano es un actor americano."
    Unless you're talking about someone who happens to be called "Hermano", this one should be " mi/tu/su/etc. hermano".
    * TIL: "en casa" = "at home" (note the difference in preposition, but the analogous lack of article)
    That's correct, though keep in mind that "en la casa" (or "en el apartamento" or whatever) is not wrong either.
    (A) "Mi libro está en el dormitorio."
    (B) "Mi libro está en mi dormitorio."
    Context. If it's clear that you're talking about your own bedroom, you may end up saying " el dormitorio", otherwise no.
    ^ I vaguely remember "dormitory" being used to mean apartment, but I could be wrong. At any rate "residencia estudiantil" is the normal way to refer to that (including normal housing close to universities and advertised for students). As you can guess from that, yes, at least here there's much less of a tradition of dedicated student housing.
    I've always thought it'd be nice to live your student life surrounded by other students.
    Thanks for the insight!
    Unless you're talking about someone who happens to be called "Hermano", this one should be " mi/tu/su/etc. hermano".
    I wholly derped and used it as an actual name rather than realizing that I'd unwittingly picked the common word for "brother".
    As you can guess from that, yes, at least here there's much less of a tradition of dedicated student housing.
    That is certainly interesting to know.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_(Camila_Cabello_song)
    Background

Cabello shared a 26-second preview of the short film for "Havana" on October 22, 2017, through her YouTube channel. The video featured appearances by Lele Pons as Bella, LeJuan James as Grandma Abuelita, Noah Centineo as Cabello's love interest, Marco DelVecchio as the twins Juan and Rodrigo and Mikey Pesante as the dancer. It was directed by Dave Meyers and was released on October 24, 2017. Young Thug also appears in the video.[48]
    Isn't "Grandma Abuelita" basically like saying "Grandma Grandmama"?
  • Yeah, pretty much. When I read that I thought it was from a humorous video (maybe it is? I can't watch it right now).
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    was released on October 24, 2017

Has it really been that long?
    Noah Centineo as Cabello's love interest

Was it released exclusively through Netflix?
    I could have sworn it was more recent than that.

I have no idea how to answer the latter question.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I have no idea how to answer the latter question.

He's known for being like, #1 on their casting sheet for romantic comedies.