If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    Oh I remember this.

If you think this is weird wait until the "I Reincarnated as a Vending Machine" anime happens.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    they must be related
  • edited 2019-08-01 08:22:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Hey @fourteenwings can you please remind me when CDJapan is having some sort of sales event? general sales or sales on...whatever might include music scores i guess. or classical CDs.
    I'll keep an eye out!

I've been watching Pretty Rhythm - Rainbow Live a lot lately and I hate to admit that what started out as an innovative show in the idol/competition sphere feels like it was hijacked by lots of side-characters, to the extent that it basically stifled the six main characters' story and development, which strangled all the goodwill I had for them.

At first I didn't want to admit it because this is a show I've been putting off since it aired, but now that I have I feel better. I mean, really I should feel worse because I might as well have kept putting it off and imagining it as an amazing story I was putting off because I have bad taste.
    I finished Pretty Rhythm - Rainbow Live over the weekend. Overall, I did like it, but it really did suffer in the back half because there was too much focus on the side-characters. It was pretty evident in the epilogue episode, where HAPPY RAIN's graduation from Prism Stone was treated as the B-plot to Over the Rainbow's debut.

It makes me less inclined to believe that KING of PRISM wasn't planned from the start, because Over The Rainbow overshadowing the main characters in their own epilogue doesn't seem like the sort of thing that just happens.
    Middle-Aged Businessman, Arise in Another World!

I've been thinking about how the current isekai boom steps away from what "transported to another world" stories used to be about. I think the format is familiar enough; somebody has a problem in their day-to-day life that they're too timid to deal with, they get transported to another world, and by the time they're back they've found The Courage Within to deal with whatever comes next.

Nowadays, the real world is seen as something to very genuinely be escaped. In fact, it's quietly implied that the main character is too good for this world (Tanya notwithstanding) and so deserves a life in a better, vaguely idealized setting (the setting being vaguely grim like Shield Hero's does not negate this, because idealized doesn't have to equal happy).

This story, despite the title making me think about this stuff, actually steps away from this in several ways (the protagonist is happy in his old life, he has a family, and they're all transported to another world), so I'm wondering if it's worth a read.
  • edited 2019-08-18 02:58:16
    I finished Digimon Tamers and like

I can't say there were a lot of big highlight moments but it's up there amongst the most satisfying overall experience I've had from a 50-ish episodes kids' show.
    Symphogear Greatest Hits is starting to feel like Symphogear But The Plot Keeps Not Happening For Greatest Hits Moments, but I really like it anyways.
    Honestly I didn't even see that the first time around.

I guess the only way to save AXZ is to pretend it happened in a whole other franchise?
    Spoilers Ahead!

In Symphogear Greatest Hits, we're at the extremely overtelegraphed part of the season where Miku retransforms via Shen Shou Jing (even though Shen Shou Jing is nowhere in sight) into Shem-ha, the um... force of uh, humanity's religious type feelings or something.

So this is a hyper-drive version of when Miku transformed via Shen Shou Jing into a vaguely brainwashed gear user and if this doesn't end in "I was just trying to protect Hibiki by murdering her and all her friends" I will be slightly impressed.

The main thing about Miku in this show is, though she *does* have some resentment towards Hibiki, she doesn't actually have a reason to be trying to kill her, so there's no emotional basis for them fighting on a scale like this, so obviously Miku continues to get brainwashed so she can fight Hibiki. It's not a solid base to build your story on, especially a second time round.
  • edited 2019-08-29 07:29:37
    Maybe it's whichever portion of Shen Shou Jing that she used in Symphogear XD. And I guess she's actually been carrying around all the time without talking about it.

Because making the game necessary would support my theory that Bushiroad will take control of Symphogear.
  • edited 2019-08-29 12:08:26
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I guess she's actually been carrying around all the time without talking about it.

You would think S.O.N.G. had the sense and authority to search a teenager for potentially deadly piece of sacrist relic.
  • edited 2019-09-07 11:40:32
    GMH, I challenge you to a MATCH!!!!

So as you may or may not know, I like myself a good lengthy argument when it comes to stuff. Especially anime. My greatest foe in this arena is GMH.

So, GMH, I propose to you the latest frontier in our neverending difference of opinions, Assassin's Pride!

Assassin's Pride is an upcoming anime based on an LN, about a young man who has to protect his less-than capable charge, who happens to be an adorable anime girl.

I thought of you when I thought about this anime because you like LNs that revolve around some pseudo-magic battle systems and schools. This has both.

My plan is that we each watch it at some point soon, and give our opinions on it. I'll probably watch it weekly, but I'm betting it'll be at least 2020 before you've seen it. I think you also prefer English dubs, so that might mean waiting a bit longer.

So, what do you say? If you accept, I'm probably going to start an individual thread.
  • edited 2019-09-08 00:59:27
    Aww frack, my bête noire, seasonal anime watching.

Also I like magic schools that are attended by dragons. Or sassy humans, preferably with creative shenanigans. =P

Which season will it be coming on?
  • edited 2019-09-08 01:02:46
    also, Florida Man disclaims responsibility in public beef between nearsighted English comedian and unsanctioned Japanese otter

Florida Man then grabs corn kernels and salted butter
    Which season will it be coming on?

It'll air in Fall, from October to December.
  • edited 2019-09-20 20:08:47
    Lemme know when Assassin's Pride begins airing.

Meanwhile, I started watching Endro.

I don't really like that name. I think I might just call it End Roll.
    The series name "Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl" continues to intrigue me.

(Don't tell me what it means.)
    IIRC it was a comedy/drama/sci-fi story about a boy and his aunt's young charge (haha, "charge").

By the way GMH, I was actually thinking we switch to Z/X: Code Reunion, because it turns out my schedule for next cour is pretty unmanageable since there are sequels to things I want to watch and also shows I'm really looking forward to.

Z/X: Code Reunion is one of the shows I've been excited about practically since it was announced, and it's about girls who go to a magic battle school (with no male protagonist). It's in the vein of other shows I've liked such as Ange Vierge and HinaLogi from Luck & Logic.

Any thoughts?
  • edited 2019-09-21 14:24:58
    Go ahead and pick whichever you prefer. I'm intentionally avoiding information on any of these series.
    I mean, I'm definitely watching Code Reunion either way, but I might randomly find time for Assassin's Pride sometime in the future as well.

So, just to be clear; Code Reunion.
  • edited 2019-09-21 20:31:37
    /-^--\
    | ok |
    \----/

• Somehow it only recently occurred to me that El-Melloi Case Files is technically a magic school anime.
    When I first heard the premise I was like "It is an LN series after all".

I don't think I've appreciated sitting around and watching something I see no direction in as much as Naka no Hito Genome [Jikyouchuu]. I mean, I like the characters well enough, and it seems it'll at least hint at the slightest existence of a plot (before it ends with no real answers as ongoing manga adaptations tend to do).
    BTW is Z/X Code Reunion part of a larger series?
    Z/X Code Reunion is a new take on the Z/X card game franchise, which has had one anime before (Z/X Ignition). We don't know if this series will take place after Ignition (which I did not finish) like Hina Logi took place after the first Luck & Logic anime, but everything will be severely different, especially the tone.

It'll be okay as a standalone watch.
    okee =D

Meanwhile, it's still not time for the end roll yet. It will be after two more episodes.
    a look through a list of upcoming new anime gave me the following thoughts:

Assassin's Pride - previously mentioned by fourteenwings
    Azur Lane - vague curiosity, grouped in with KanColle, Girls Frontline, etc.
    Granblue Fantasy 2 - oh, right, i have yet to watch this
    Ascendance of a Bookworm - ah yes, this is finally getting an anime. though i already knew about this one.
    Val X Love - maybe
    Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle - oh yeah I already watched the earlier installment, so I might as well.
    Z/X: Code Reunion - as requested by fourteenwings. And it looks like a show with a female cast where the characters don't all look ridiculously young, too.
    Kandagawa Jet Girls - a jet-skiing combat anime? interesting.
    Null Peta - besides the weird name, this looks cute.

side observations:
    The High School Prodigies series is one of the isekai stories that I ran across thanks to their mention in a MAL thread.
    Watashi, Nouryoku etc. is another.
    Mairimashita! Iruma-kun reminds me that I like character art with fantasy elements but without an air of outrageousness.
    Is that blond hair character the same Aikatsu character as in the first season?
    Shin Chuuka Ichiban might appeal to those people who enjoy older art styles.
    It seems Rifle Is Beautiful's theme songs are sung by its cast.
  • edited 2019-09-24 05:31:28
    I want to do a Fall anime observational thing but I have written quite a lot lately.
    Is that blond hair character the same Aikatsu character as in the first season?

That is indeed Ichigo. I've definitely mentioned Aikatsu on Parade! here somewhere (maybe not in this thread) because I literally cannot stop talking about it.

Basically, all the universes of Aikatsu! come together in one big series. Expect lots of idol activities.
    Ascendance of a Bookworm - ah yes, this is finally getting an anime.

Funnily enough, Ichigo's seiyuu from Aikatsu! is singing the ending theme to this.
    Kandagawa Jet Girls - a jet-skiing combat anime? interesting.

This is by the guy behind Senran Kagura and it's ilk, so expect lots of ecchi. I liked the character designs way more before I saw them in motion.
    Val X Love - maybe

The PV for that just screamed maximum ecchi.

It actually reminded me of Koukaku no Pandora, because I wanted to watch that but I was concerned because the button to power up the robot maid girl was located in her crotch where her um... y'know, would be otherwise and she was about like 14 at the oldest.

But man I love the OP.
    Watashi, Nouryoku etc. is another.

I think this series sets itself apart by having an all-female main cast where it seems like the story takes a slower pace than normal. Like that Shield Girl anime that's airing next year.