If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2019-04-11 06:21:45
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, I've finally found good Polish pagan metal. There are good folk bands, or folk-inspired, but so far all the Youtube content originating in Poland that approximately mapped to Slavic-themed or pagan metal, and so on, was, like, almost entirely made of shitty Magix Music Maker output created by hateful basement dwellers ("ponies", as we say here). I'm saying "almost" because I know of one or two actually musically competent bands, but I would rather not expect to find their album in a relatively mainstream metal shop (more like sold on some far-right meetup), so I don't really count them.

(edit reason: replaced "entirely" with "almost" because the former didn't really make sense in context.)

• I like this

for reasons I don't understand
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    According to this article, Vinyl records sales oustripped revenue from on-demand streaming services last year.

Which is really surprising (but a good reason for me to maybe consider keeping up my physical media collection).

I feel like I made the second half of this post already in this exact thread, but it seems that's not the case.
  • It says that vinyl makes more for them than YouTube, specifically, not streaming in general.
    For instance, the growing but still specialized market for vinyl records is generating more revenue than the music on YouTube,
    Ah I guess I didn't read that right.

Well, still though.
    I was going through YouTube the other day when this live performance of Körner's Liebe niemals out from a Wincent Weiss concert came up and I really loved it. I wish there was a studio version of it because the original version isn't as great.
    Mia REGINA, Lantis' Queens of... 'Well, it needs an OP', are releasing a cover album. Like most cover albums, it does speak to the artists themselves, rather than what you'd expect to be given to them for commercial reasons.

The first song of note is STARDOM! from Aikatsu Stars! Hoshi no Tsubasa, originally performed by AIKATSU☆STARS!. To sum up my reaction: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!! Well, you see, Mia REGINA is a group made up of three of the eight (eventually ten) singers who fronted STAR☆ANIS, the first Aikatsu! character singing voice supergroup.

That group was eventually set to the live performance side whilst AIKATSU☆STARS! performed new songs for the franchise, so it's nice to see them performing a bit of a send-up to their juniors. AIKATSU☆STARS! themselves are now seniors to BEST FRIENDS!, the latest group from this universe, so I wonder if we'll ever see something similar in the future. This is also the first time an Aikatsu! song has ever appeared on a cover album, I think, so that's some prestige right there (forget that it's super in house and let me have my moment)

It'll also include;
    • Sugar Song to Bitter Step, basically a necessity for a cover album nowadays
    • Tuxedo Mirage, which I'm told is the main Sailor Moon S ending theme, reflecting Mia REGINA's status as Lantis' in-house magical girls
    • Non stop road, by Sphere, which was the opening theme to the anime inspired by Sphere, Natsu-iro Kiseki. It's fun that this is happening just as Sphere's own 10th Anniversary album is rolling around
    • A Kuribayashi Minami song, but not a magical girl one. Instead, they're performing her OP to Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
    • A KOTOKO song I'd never heard of called Nee, ...Shiyou Yo! , which turned out to be the OP to the visual novel Nee, Chanto Shiyou Yo! 2, a sequel to a game with a distinctively... disturbing premise. Well, now this is knowledge I'll know forever (please don't look this series up, for your own good). However, it does reflect Mia REGINA's flair for doing the openings to ecchi shows and other shows with distinctively pulpy premises.
  • edited 2020-10-30 14:09:54
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    EDIT: I didn't watch Eurovision in 2019 because it was in Israel and I was really dumb about it.

I do know that Papai Joci got eliminated in the first round, which I didn't doubt for one second would happen once I heard the song he was entering (in fact, when I did hear it I didn't even know it would be in Eurovision). I also know that the male host from last year will be in fact performing last years #2 song, Fuego.

It's really good.

Meanwhile, somebody called Eurovision the "gay Christmas". I thought Halloween was gay Christmas? The Event Committee of The Gays needs to get it's act together.
  • edited 2019-06-04 05:53:27
    So after like, seven years, I finally listened to all the Symphogear OPs in a row.

I always thought Synchrogazer was the only really really Symphogear sounding one, but Vitalization has some elements of that, albeit in small quantities. Exterminate is when stuff started getting way more Nana than Symphogear. To be fair, Exterminate has those 8-bit noises that sort of are wizardy and maybe that's a reference to Carol?

TESTAMENT is just like, maybe this is like a new definition of what Symphogear means, musically? It has a surprisingly unique, dramatic but very Symphogear sound. I think it might be my own bias though, since I've listened to it a lot and frequently and also watched the OP a bunch a while ago whilst trying to rewatch all of AXZ.

The opening of UNLIMITED BEAT sounds like it's meant to be the Cruel Angel's Thesis of the series, with Shinji replaced with Hibiki? Nothing about this song sounds remotely Symphogear after that oddly enough, it is soooooo Nana. Right down to the band playing super prominently and English being more prominent/plentiful.

As a bonus; Glorious Break! This song is really cinematic, and it does have the synth drums you hear a lot in Nana music. The energy is very different, so I'm not sure how it really compares to the OPs. In fact this could have totally been an unrelated lead track to a Nana album...
  • sounds like it's meant to be the Cruel Angel's Thesis of the series,

Do you mean that someone at King Records must've thought "we will make so much money licensing this to karaoke places"?

I mean it has a very specific way of being addressed to the protagonist/the listener before the actual song kicks in.

Though to be honest to have King Records and Bushiroad involved with it they probably did think that at some point (it's just mobage are bad at making anything part of the wider ota culture experience).
  • edited 2019-06-14 08:27:42
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    that weird feeling when you're looking for anime soundtracks but instead you find curiously obscure classical music

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/HERB-23

This album purports to contain the complete piano works of Croatian composer Dora Pejačević (1885-1923).
    THE SIXTH LIE's Hibana and the Uchuu Sentai Kyuuranger OP have the exact same WOAH OOOH OOOH noise throughout the songs but I never noticed until I put the songs next to each other. Though in the Kyuuranger OP it's mostly the word "Kyuuranger" itself, whilst in Hibana it is actually just WOOAH OOH OOOH.
    Lately, I've been really disappointed in lol's releases post lml. I don't know if I mentioned how... different, lolli-lolli was to their usual stuff, and how much I didn't like it.

Now they've released a collaboration with DJ. KOO, which should have been the most epic thing to come out of their discography in months, and it's... kind of okay at it's best and has introduced me to a new sound I hate even more than intensive dubstep; DJ scratching noises.

The B-sides on the single are great, but I wonder how much longer I'll be able to stay an lol fan if this keeps going.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Been listening to dungeon synth pretty intensively for some time already. And you know what, for a genre that started out as black metal stripped of all the metal so the only things left are synthesizers and frostbitten grim north, newer produce of the genre is so removed from the roots it's hard to see the connection. Once by top black metallers on a side project, then by third-rate black metallers on a side project, now it's random nonames with ideas and synth software. It's always been ambient produced by people who don't really know ambient much, but at some point old-timey video game tunes on one hand and classical music on the other became overt inspirations for the genre. The resulting stew is occasionally weird. But at least everything is posted online.

Compare this:

to this:

to this:

to this:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    That sounds super interesting and right now is a great time for my internet connection to have gone out.
    But at least everything is posted online.

Officially always the best genre of music.
    Wow, this DOES sound like videogame music. Specifically, ambient WRPG music.
  • edited 2019-07-16 16:59:29
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yeah, it's like, you get into this genre once and never again have to look for background music for all your dungeoncrawling sessions.

I have yet another complaint about lol's releases. They released a new physical single last week but it doesn't include their most recent digital single. I mean, I guess then the single would be 4 songs instead of 3, which is industry standard, but they've done that before ;-;
    At some point in my life, I heard this song, from an unknown source. I think it may have been a radio broadcast during a road trip, which is why my memory of it is so fuzzy.

And all I managed to remember was the tune and lyrics of the refrain ("A trip to the fair...but nobody was there!") and the beginning of the verse (but not the latter half of the verse, which my mind substituted its own material for, so now there are two "versions" of this song in my mind -- the real one and the one I came up with).
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Sounds interesting, like something you might put on the player to lay in the armchair and chill out.
    I was thinking about how, as a child, there was a much... stronger taboo about mentioning the tenets of Christianity in vein. I mean, to this day turning a TV's audio source to "English - Family" bleeps all instances of "God" including when people say "Oh my god" around here. And shows like Lucifer and The Good Place were both moved to airing past the watershed after people actually complained that their kids might see them.

But, considering how easily everybody refers to these things in real life (and in a lot of shows made in Southern Africa) this trend is dying.

Which brings me to this song from family friendly Disney Descendants 3, featuring prominent villain-ish but ultimately sympathetic character Audrey when she's having a bit of a breakdown;

'Cause if I can't have that
    Then I would be the leader of the dark
    And the bad
    Now there's a devil on my shoulder
    Where the angels used to be

And he's calling me the queen

I mean, frankly, this is a song little girls (and 20-something nerds) will be belting out at least until Frozen 2 comes out and whatever The Song from that movie is becomes The Song. This music has about 40m views on YouTube already and it's only been 7 days.

When I was a kid, even parents in the US would have probably done actual physical flips at it.

And also, I don't intend any offense, but @lrdgck I can't help but wonder what the response from the ridiculously religious in Poland would feel about this.
  • edited 2019-08-11 23:52:59
    And also, I don't intend any offense, but @lrdgck I can't help but wonder what the response from the ridiculously religious in Poland would feel about this.

Well-lll-llll - first thing to know is that Poland seems to be getting into that whole culture war thing now, and with the growing polarization I am unsure as to how objective I might be. Which means I might present a given issue in biased terms even without aiming to do so, simply by assuming my news sources tend to be on the truthful side or even deciding to omit some detail (ed.: I mean, one I deem inconsequential not realizing it is not). (In fact, I hesitated whether or not I should call said growth rapid or not; erred to the side of caution.)

So.

Hard to say. Depends. There are folks who will tell you "Happy Feet" is extremely un-Christian and gay. So, if you specifically mean "ridiculously religious", then the answer is they will take offence, because once you reach a certain point you begin to take offence to everything.

(Minor digression: works both ways. It's "everything's offensive" versus "everything's the Devil's work", to cover both ends.)

That said, I would expect that the song you mention would not cause an outcry, at least amongst people who don't specifically seek reasons to be offended. The general public, in my opinion, would be relatively fine with what would for them be a minor religious motif in a Disney song.

The ridiculously religious might come up an idea that those verses imply demonic possession and should not be listened to lest the listener is possessed too. It's something I'd expect them to, judging by the fact these kinds of ideas are expressed once in a while by various people on the religious right.

But as a final note, it ultimately rests on the translation. Since it's a song, the translation might get rid of any religious themes simply because the words wouldn't fit the flow. (Let's not think of whether someone checks the original in search of something to be offended by, please.)
    Well-lll-llll
    We the Second
    We the Third
    We the Fourth
    (Let's not think of whether someone checks the original in search of something to be offended by, please.)
    Polish Man Attempts To Open Can Of Worms
    The ridiculously religious might come up an idea that those verses imply demonic possession and should not be listened to lest the listener is possessed too.

I hadn't considered the possibilities of a Descendants horror movie but I guess getting all of those Disney villains in one place should result in some real, permanent suffering.
    Polish Man Attempts To Open Can Of Worms

Pandora's Box of Disney Channel Song Translations?
    There are folks who will tell you "Happy Feet" is extremely un-Christian and gay.

The makers of Happy Feet must be happy somebody remembers their movies exists, even in this context.
  • edited 2019-08-12 18:01:51
    The Wombo Combo video has forever immortalized Happy Feet for me even thought I've never seen it.
    Adapted from a conversation I had earlier about Western/Mostly American music.

It turns out because of the fragmentation of individual songs from albums, the Billboard albums chart has a new top album almost every week.

A major oddity has been that half the albums are by people nobody knows exist (including, if you want, K-pop supergroup BTS).

I have a feeling that if you asked most people nobody would even know the Backstreet Boys released an album this year. It's pretty hilarious and weird, because artists like Sabrina Carpenter have had highly publicized albums out this year with lots of singles that actually place on the singles chart but fail to reach the albums chart, whilst some random American rock band can manage to make it on the chart.

To be fair, people with a big enough cultural footprint like Ariana Grande can manage to hold the chart for... two entire weeks! This is in comparison to Old Town Road, which continues to cement it's position at the top of the singles chart (who in honest to goodness heck is listening to this song?).

Another funny thing is that we live in a world where Chris Brown who is both very big and very toxic image-wise, releases a #1 album from which none of the six entire singles even hit #1 (or possibly anything above 40?) on the Billboard Hot 100.

Overall, I wonder if record companies are secretly really happy that they don't even have to get airplay to sell a bunch of people an album now.
  • edited 2019-08-21 14:19:25
    In 2003, MGA Entertainment released two Japan-exclusive Bratz singles. Yes, the Bratz had a short musical run in Japan. This involved collaborating with acts like BoA and VERBAL from m-flo (who surely no longer wants to associate with the brand considering how edgy he is now).

One of the singles, Show Me What You Got, had a B-side that... well, it's basically J-pop from 2002.

I quite like it. The lyrics are quite suggestive but of course this only came out in Japan so all controversy was avoided.
  • edited 2019-08-23 13:44:50
    There's this song that plays at my local supermarket occassionally and I quite like listening to it, so I decided to Shazam it.

Imagine my shockhorror when it was revealed to be a painfully mainstream Taylor Swift song. I actually thought it was Echosmith or something, but it had to be Taylor Swift, who I don't listen to because...

Well, probably because I never heard one of her songs that was this great. frankly it's really really bad even as a pop song, but it's exactly the sort cutesy fluff that's ridiculously my style. It's like the musical version of an 'edgy' scrapbooking project from your early teens.

Though a guy from Rolling Stone did call it the second-best song of 2014 (????).