If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Videogame Music thread.

Comments

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    So I finally got my hands on Breath of the Wild a few weeks ago, been playing it ever since. Just got to Rito Village– musical nostalgia is the best kind of nostalgia.

• Bovarian Mammarian

I like this track
  • edited 2017-05-03 02:54:27
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ I do too.

----

Curtis Schweitzer - (Experimental OST) Crystal Battle 1 - {Starbound Orchestral OST}

this track sounds a little like the second-area theme from Freedom Planet

also changed the title of this thread from "The Game Music thread." to "The Videogame Music thread."
  • edited 2017-09-04 20:58:14
    CvOoE x MMX

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Michiru Yamane (of Castlevania fame) and Tsuyoshi Sekito (of Brave Fencer Musashi and Advent Children fame) once collab'd on a GB game called Motocross Maniacs.

I didn't know this as a kid, but really liked the music (despite not knowing how to play the game).

One notable feature of this track that I didn't notice at the time, but only did after listening to it by itself (out-of-game), is that it actually only uses TWO channels. The Game Boy can deliver up to four channels: two pulse wave generators, one channel for 4-bit samples (or presumably more chiptune instrumentation), and one noise channel. It's not uncommon for tracks to have three voices, while the game uses the noise channel for sound effects (this is done in Pokémon, which is why the battle themes have no drums).

Presumably because Motocross Maniacs uses both of the latter two channels for in-game sound effects (considering that they're used for music in the fanfares), this track uses only the first two channels, meaning it has only two "voices", compared to the usual three. So it was composed with even more limitations than usual. And what do you know? They did an excellent job with it.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Civ VI's music was already pretty great, but the music for the recent DLC civs have all been top-notch.

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    These are really good.
  • edited 2017-12-04 07:55:40
    Vault wrote:
    When you enter the legendary and mythical Chozo Ruins only to find out that they were fucking dorks, every single one of them.

Y'know, I've briefly looked into the SR soundtrack, and I'm slightly disappointed that this track does not appear in its glorious weirdness, even though it does kinda appear albeit in other weirdness.

But then again...how would you even arrange this? It's like, it is so strange that it almost feels impossible to arrange without either rendering the melody an afterthought (which is what the SR soundtrack's arrangement do, from what I can tell), but also without regularizing the rhythm by giving it a beat (which is what AM2R did). Unless of course you just stick quite close to the original, which might just do it. Like, I could imagine just playing this on an oboe, a piccolo, and a bassoon, and just leaving it very sparse and preserving the stark contrast between the oddly melodic tune and the silence surrounding it, with no texture to support it at all (much like having no backup to fall back on when you're exploring SR-388).

The only change I'd make is to slow it down so it sounds a bit less dorky and more strange.

It's like an even more extreme version of the problem that plagues Simon's Theme from Super Castlevania IV -- I haven't ever heard a satisfactory arrangement of it.

Edit: Something really curious I just now noticed about it. That high-pitched line that doubles one of the other instruments at a high octave? It starts out doubling the bass. Then everything moves together for a while, then when they split back up it doubles the treble instead. It's weird. Like everything else in this track. And that's why I love it.

Seriously, I was right. Nothing made today has a soundtrack ANYTHING like this game's. No one would greenlight or even dream of such a project. Not even its own remake.
  • edited 2017-12-04 09:20:43
    @Bluesy_Cowgirl So I happened to find like two or three channels with a bunch of Castlevania music in the soundfonts of other Castlevania games. They are TheLegendofRenegade, Patricio Herrera, and another I forget.

A cool thing about this is that this now allows listening to stuff from one game in another game's soundfont, at least partly eliminating any soundset-based bias if one is trying to compare different games' soundtracks. And sometimes you even get tracks that sound cooler than their original versions.

Edit: Actually there are probably well more than two. Here's a third one.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Cool.

It should be noted, however, that the Sega Genesis doesn't really have a soundfont per se, being an FM synth.
    Cool.

It should be noted, however, that the Sega Genesis doesn't really have a soundfont per se, being an FM synth.

True, but I think they just used the Castlevania Bloodlines soundfont. Same goes with SNES; they just used the SCv4 soundfont.

is it just me or does the bass occasionally cut out on the right? this seems like it might be intentional

speaking of Super Metroid
    have any other games used the weirdly muffled soundfonts of Super Metroid and Super Castlevania IV? Maybe Demon's Crest to a lesser extent?
    I never knew much about Monster Hunter anyway, but now I have suddenly realized it has music this good.
  • edited 2018-03-31 20:24:54
    @Bluesy_Cowgirl what do you think of this credits theme?

FWIW The rest of the soundtrack -- which you can hear on that playlist -- also has quite a lot of heavy metal.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    seems pleasant enough
    http://shmuplations.com/raizing/
    Sotoyama: When we ported Battle Garegga to the Sega Saturn, we asked Matsuo Hayato, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Shinji Hosoe, and Masaharu Iwata to do an arrange remix of the music. Hitoshi Sakimoto did the arrange version for the 3rd stage. When we received his mixdown, Manabu Namiki was listening to it on headphones when I saw him suddenly fall over laughing. Apparently, about 30 seconds after Hitoshi’s remix began, as a joke he had inserted a loop of himself screaming NAMIKI!!!!! It was absolutely hilarious to everyone there.
    lolwut
    check out the first track of this game

http://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/pinball-revenge-of-the-gator-game-boy

and now check out "ヨタロウすっげい!" from the soundtrack of Arpeggio of Blue Steel. approximately 49 seconds in.

though that's probably a semi-common riff
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

See, there's a little known, Czech story- and character-driven RTS Original War. This is one of the tracks for the Soviet side. You'd expect something bombastic, like, military marching music or Red Army Choir. But you get this, folksy and whimsical. I like to think it's because the game was made in one of the former Soviet Bloc countries.
  • edited 2019-07-09 00:19:38
    That is pretty neat.

Frankly speaking, that accordion sound is something U.S. westerners would probably stereotypically associate with France, though the overall tone of this track sounds darker that one would expect of such an association.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I imagine the composer was aiming to evoke the mood of a Russian folk tune or auteur song. Can't say I know anything about either, but it kinda works for me this way.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think the name Original War stands out a lot against other video game titles. Maybe because it's so strangely earnest.
    something U.S. westerners would probably stereotypically associate with France

Really? The instrumentation sounds, at the very least, vaguely Eastern European from the very start.

It's a pretty fun track, somehow it reminds me of Final Fantasy VI.
  • It does sound to me like something you'd hear over imagery of stereotypical French or Italian (Venetian?) streets.
  • I found an EP with the songs for some obscure magical girl game and it's so delightful to imagine how this could possibly work.
  • I remember saying something a long time ago about how much I loved this track and wished it had a remix.

Well, here's one, sorta:

+ I love this track too.
    + Intriguing that bit that uses the opening motif of the melody of Beginning. I didn't know you coild make that appear just by changing the octave of one of the notes in the original version's motif.
    - What's with the swung 16ths?
  • edited 2019-11-24 18:01:36
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    I played through Wandersong recently, and it made me feel a lot of things.

A small sample:

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I just realized we had a thread for this.
  • edited 2020-01-19 20:48:45
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    So over the past year, I've been keeping a personal "best game OST of 2019" list. Unlike 2018, which had a winner from the get-go (Celeste, though I've retroactively declared Wandersong to be my runner-up), 2019 didn't have a clear favorite for me.

There were some contenders, sure. Dicey Dungeons was real good, Outer Wilds and A Short Hike were both worthy of consideration, but I didn't think any soundtrack would break away from the pack, and rankings are subjective anyway, so that's okay.

i was wrong

i was so very, very wrong