If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    lrdgck wrote: »
    I have just been told there is a John Paul II-themed escape room. Officially it has nothing to do with cenzopapas.

"Officially"...? =P
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yeah, it's like either nobody on the crew ever been to the Internet, or it's deep-cover trolling.
    Oh.

Heh.

I'll go with deep-cover trolling.
    According to this article, 5G uses 24-90 GHz frequencies, while according to this article, meteorology makes use of 23.8 GHz to detect water vapor, 36-37 GHz for rainfall and snow detection, 50 GHz for atmospheric temperature detection, and 86-92 GHz for cloud and ice detection.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Are you saying knowing what the weather is could ever be more important than watching Netflix in 4K?
    I'd much rather see a show set in a fictional universe than see a show about people playing a game, honestly.

Aside from the issues I mentioned, I feel like in-universe shows based on lore-heavy things tend to forget what makes the project fun and just be Oh So Serious which is in stark contrast to what the product actually offers you.
    Somebody made a TV series about Chernobyl and my meme sources are suddenly crawling with Chernobyl-themed memes.

This show has been in the "Recommended for You!" queue on my TV every single day for the last few weeks.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Huh, so apparently there are people who oppose the 5G networks for reasons other than "ebul jooz pollute my precious bodily fluids". Until now all that I've heard of were the telecommunications-themed counterparts of the antivax folks. Well, sort of, since they tend to be the same people anyway.
    To be fair, as that article points out, just because we haven't found links between health and 5G doesn't mean there are none, though it does mean that according to what we know now, there probably aren't any.

But yeah.

I dunno much about the MtG universe lore, so I dunno how good it'd make a TV story.
  • tl;dr: there are lots of mostly-disconnected worlds (planes) usually built around a theme (i.e. the "ancient Greece plane" or the "metallic plane") and there are some special people (planeswalkers) that can travel between them to do whatever, that the story may or may not revolve around them.

It's fit for creating card sets but I have doubts that the same principle would be good for a show. Then again I mostly just read the cards's flavor texts.

As for Chernobyl, it's been recommended to me too, I'll watch it if I get the chance.
    So it's just like Vanguard where there's the Planet Cray where like, every single fantasy being ever lives and the players take on the role of Astral Bodies that possess said fantastical beings.

Which basically leads to Serious Paladin types proooooobably continuously being possessed by people who think Post Malone is real music.

The Vanguard anime takes a magical realism approach to this, usually not really broaching the fact that Planet Cray is a real place but getting as close to having characters from Cray appear in their own astral dimensional forms as possible.
  • That sounds like it, yeah. Also planeswalkers are powerful beings and some people may have latent planeswalkerness and may suddenly become planeswalkers. Also the players are planeswalkers, though not the ones that show in the cards/plot.

In which I complain about connection issues again: no internet connection yet. Nearby cables seem fine. A friend has been told that the phone company has basically stopped maintenance activities and sooner or later each thing that stops working will stay like that. I've tried calling the technician but there's no longer a line with that number (mobile so not from the same company), I wonder if he left the country.

According to the rumor mill (per the same friend) a bunch of those who are left in the company are setting up a parallel phone company (or something) to provide the services the regular company should (at a price presumably following the fact that they'll be an unregulated monopoly and that thing where what's illegal costs more due to the risks/bribery involved).

Also, after doing some scripting in Python I've come to realize how much I prefer statically typed programming languages, which Python isn't. I thought it was about variables's types being known at compile time, but what's important is that with statically typed languages your IDE/glorified text editor will show up dropdown menus or dialogue boxes as you type that basically tell you what to do.
    Life is too hard to type all the code all the time, and that's not even a joke.
    (at a price presumably following the fact that they'll be an unregulated monopoly

oh darn

Well, I hope it works out on some level.
  • tbh it still sounds better than nothing. Though of course the ideal thing is that the actual company does its job.

Also on second thought for internet services they'll still be competing against mobile companies (though they do depend on infrastructure from the regular phone company so who knows). Someone will still need to do something about lines for bank transactions though.
    My imgur account's birthday (how is this a thing?) is one day before my actual birthday.

And so it's my birthday again! I'm one year closer to a quarter of a century, which at first sounded foreboding but now I feel is more like an interesting fact.
    Congrats! A year closer to the grave! :smile:
  • edited 2019-06-19 22:26:51
    Let's hope you haven't gone to sleep yet so it's still your birthday in your mind.

Happy Birthday!
    https://i.imgur.com/OVoaMgj.jpg

(I was also making a peace piñata but I ran into problems.)

Edit: removing hotlink so as to not waste bandwidth when clicking here.
    Awwww!

And happy birthday, fourteenwings~
    Let's hope you haven't gone to sleep yet so it's still your birthday in your mind.

Sorry, I probably got up exactly twenty minutes after your post :P

But that is a really cool cake! The tiny piñata deco is a really nice touch. I'd totally get a keychain of that.
    https://www.slavorum.org/drunk-polish-man-invades-a-small-polish-town-with-a-soviet-tank/

I noticed it so little that I managed to forget the story before seeing link for the second time, but it made for a bunch of amusing headlines.
  • edited 2019-06-20 04:57:11
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think what surprises me most is that it was an official army vehicle rather than some super-rich guy with a thing for tanks.
    Some crazy person did that once in in California and ran over a bunch of cars and other random crap with it. It shows up in crazy police chase compilations on youtube.
  • I remember that, apparently it wasn't that hard to steal a tank.

Also the guy who ran over stuff using a makeshift armored bulldozer.

Anyhows, I learned that there's a name for that thing I want to become: digital nomad, one who can earn their sustenance more or less anywhere provided they have access to a computer and maybe the internet.

Also IJBM: I tried using some of the 3D cake tools I had made 2-3 years ago and turns out I can't remember how to use them, or even if I actually finished them rather than bring them to the barely-functional level that was good enough at the time.
    I can't remember how to use them

I've had this feeling more than once. I wonder if this has something to do with the sheer scale of information we take in nowadays, vs people from pre-personal computer times (though I guess it could be replicated by an avid reader).
    digital nomad

I thought this terminology took off a bit more, though I guess it was taken over by 'influencer' in terms of 'jobs people do from computers'.
  • I've had this feeling more than once. I wonder if this has something to do with the sheer scale of information we take in nowadays, vs people from pre-personal computer times (though I guess it could be replicated by an avid reader).

Nah, I'm just neglectful about documenting my stuff, it's been so long that it may as well be the first time I see them so if it's not evident how to use them I wouldn't know how, and I made no effort in making it evident, so...

It doesn't help that by the end one is both tired and probably understands the project a bit to well to realize that some things may not be obvious.
  • I got a new job, as a technician overseeing some computer stuff. The pay is good (for me) and it's supposedly easy and leaves time for internet stuff, so that's good.

I'm nervous, I hope it works out.
    That's great!
    Yeah, from what I know positions like this one usually mean you are the wizard who does magic with computers and people leave you be just in case. That, and ask you to help with silly stuff like the printer switched off and stuff.
  • edited 2019-06-28 16:31:01
    Thanks guys.

Country flags if they were drawn antropomorphized anime-style in traditional-Japanese-style clothes.
    It seems I'm having trouble with linking: world-flags.org
    One more Chernobyl-related piece of news: a Chinese businessman got ten years for fraud after selling trips to Chernobyl and taking people to Chelyabinsk instead. He told the confused clients that since the accident the city returned to normal life. Story gets even funnier once you realize what kind of reputation does Chelyabinsk have in Russia. It's pretty much Pripyat without the evacuation, but with hard drugs.

Bonus points: one netizen joked that in Poland you get half that time for beating someone to death.
    Yeah I saw the flags earlier. I was surprised at how swole South Africa is.
    taking people to Chelyabinsk instead

to be fair he like, protected them from (slight) radiation
    but with hard drugs.

kay I guess he wasn't protecting them very much
    one netizen joked that in Poland you get half that time for beating someone to death.

This sounds like one of those things where somehow the presiding judge/prosecutors expect everybody to be fighting at the drop of the hat.

Not to stereotype (or I guess to do exactly that but in jest) but I wish the whole euro-chav stereotype were more like the time May'n did it in her Tenshi yo Kokyou wo Kike PV.

Because everything can be solved with a bit of anison.