If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The YouTube Video Graveyard

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    vWrM4UDbWn8

Translated to English: "Interactions with the monument of John Paul 2". Do you know Gothic? The video game series?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm guessing it involved two-bit cleverness used to suggest sexual contact with said statue?
  • edited 2018-04-08 18:44:55
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Actually no, the video spliced in sound clips from the game as if one received a blessing from the statue.

(addendum: the vid has been reuploaded.)
  • edited 2018-04-07 19:42:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    XfEE-GoJS2E - "Max Bruch - Symphony No.3 in E-major, Op.51" - "This video is unavailable."
    Yes, it is exactly what it says on the tin.
    No idea why the video got removed.
    Y49zD12GIVc - Macross Frontier ~ Seikan Hikou【星間飛行】Megumi Nakajima ~ 中島愛
    Apparently YouTube doesn't even give takedown reasons anymore.
    IPPSrBOeEVo - "YUGI vs KAIBA - Japanese Music vs US Music" -
    This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by (株)日本アドシステムズ.

Oh, come ON. This was an actually really informative video analyzing the different uses of music in two versions of the same scene.
    qu-PKLJEYZs - "Splat Fortress ..." (well, the title starts like that) - is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Nintendo of America Inc..

Apparently this was a mod of Team Fortress 2 to have Splatoon-like mechanics, including swimming in ink, ink as ammo, and territory control (albeit for very coarse squares). This got reported on rather prominently, and naturally, Nintendo took it down. Including the video apparently.
  • edited 2018-12-23 05:30:40
    > checks sure that the Wario Ware Mod is still there
    > the Wario Ware Mod is still there
    > all is well
    Apparently this was a mod of Team Fortress 2 to have Splatoon-like mechanics, including swimming in ink, ink as ammo, and territory control (albeit for very coarse squares).

This is genius.

Edit: Also it occurs to me that they could've removed the references to Splatoon while keeping the mechanics (according to this they even used in-game assets).
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    On my part, I can't seem to find the original Rare Exports Inc. shorts. Looks like in the meantime a full-time movie was made and all I can find are the trailers for it, which is not exactly what I was looking for.
  • edited 2019-01-08 07:32:37
    tCgevMWzLxY - The Go My Way x CrazyBus music video I posted here. It was lost when SilvaGunner was kill.

Also TIL SilvaGunner was not a single person. At any rate we have GilvaSunner now.
  • edited 2019-06-07 07:36:12
    One of the saddest aspects of this graveyard is that it chronicles YouTube's being turned from a landscape of videos with interesting content into today's landscape where it's just a bunch of videos begging for views.

Back when people just uploaded whatever, things were more genuine. People truly uploaded stuff they were interested in. Someone felt passionate about a scene from a TV show so they uploaded that. Someone really liked a song and an anime series so they made an AMV and uploaded that. Someone really liked the music of some singer, so they uploaded a video of their concert. And so on. It was a reflection of the state of popular culture. It was a part of popular culture that could circumvent commercialization.

But noooo, pesky copyright laws had to get in the way, so none of these things could continue flying. Videos were taken down, accounts were banned, channels were taken down, videos were muted, and so on. With the advent of content IDing technology for music, people now had to mangle the beautiful songs that they so loved, in order to share their love. And even fandubbers aren't safe. Everyone has to work around an invisible barrier of "I might get banned from YouTube". Well, at least to some extent one could keep making accounts.

But somehow it got worse. See, monetization happened. So now, it wasn't just the professional-level and very dedicated folks who could make nice-looking videos (that you could tell were worth watching by their production values), while everything else felt raw and homely in organic ways because that was the focus. Instead, now, everyone and their dog can make money on YouTube, and the result? Everyone and their dog now tries to make money on YouTube. Every video is commercialized. Every video draws you in with an emotion-inciting picture and a controversy-baiting title because you need to click the video now!!! and you need to watch more!!! because everything is exciting!!! when everything is competing for attention. No, commercializing the flying frack out of everything does not magically make it better. The entire list of "related" videos is now suggested clickbait because hey, we think you might like to watch this!!!. And now everyone's focused on producing "original content" much of which isn't even worth jack! except it just has to be made because someone somewhere might make some money out of them talking about the latest video games or the latest movies or the latest ideological slapfight or social turf war du jour -- or better yet, it might just be the 9287419847098535th Top Ten video! The world is so exciting!!! because now everyone and their dog is trying to sell you on the idea that the world is so exciting rather than GENUINELY EXPRESSING THEIR ENTHUSIASM FOR STUFF.

Oh, even the video thumbnails no longer show a scene from the video but have become covers that might not reflect what the video is actually about!

Meanwhile, everyone has to dance around copyright claims like ballerinas. Oh, I can't show you why this music or this show is great, or I might get demonetized =(, or I can't even show you that much of this game or I might get demonetized =(, or I have to replace the music in my video or I might get demonetized =(, etc. etc. etc..

And what happened to popular culture? Popular culture was re-commercialized. What was like a dream that surfaced briefly was pounded mercilessly back beneath the waves. The parts of modern popular culture that are now non-commercialized...are the memes. Particularly the mangled ones. You can't celebrate Donald Duck; you're not authorized to do so! But you can mock Donald Duck mercilessly with Dolan, because he's different enough.

No wonder the internet can't do anything well other than be ironic. Because it's NOT ALLOWED do anything well other than be ironic.

Anyway, enough ranting.

S90M-N4gaM0 - this was probably a video of the theme song from the Jackie Chan movie Police Story (or Hero Story?). Might have had English subtitles.
    I have a feeling that @fourteenwings will hate the above post lol
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Wait why

I think I've made my feelings about YouTube and social media clear. You can't be counter-culture on them because then you're just part of the indistinguishable blob that is culture. All of this stuff has it's own ridiculous terminology ('influencer'?) that really makes no sense but nobody broaches it because That's How We Do Things Now.

Quantity wise, is almost nothing worth watching that has originated on YouTube itself (and isn't just reciting facts from other sources), and I'm genuinely worried what it's doing to people. You could claim nothing bad has happened yet, but children's toys have literally morphed into Things You Can Open On YouTube rather than Things Meant To Be Played With and that is a Big Shift that's affected basically every child with access to YouTube.

There are videos where, basically, adults are manipulating children into giving videos likes in subtle ways, but what does that psychology extend to?
    The world is so exciting!!! because now everyone and their dog is trying to sell you on the idea that the world is so exciting rather than GENUINELY EXPRESSING THEIR ENTHUSIASM FOR STUFF.

In the more adult/young adult sphere, I'd say people are trying to tell you their lives are so exciting but also did you know they're exactly like you? Just. Like. You. You know, how you spend all day waiting for the natural light to be just right so you can take a selfie on top of a mountain in Foreign Land X (because like, it actually matters what Foreign Land X is) on a trip paid for by some marketing department because everybody knows for your life to be great you need to buy Product X.

At least before with celebrities it was ridiculous to truly believe they were just like you, but YouTube is like the ultimate magic mirror. People who are essentially selling their lives to brands make you believe that that is not their job, but who they are.

For goodness sakes, a young girl once made a dramatization of the time her mom died, featuring her mom's twin (lucky casting?). Whatever we once considered normal is g-o-n-e and all we can do is try not to be taken in by all the nonsense.
  • edited 2019-06-22 05:21:55
    Oh boy, I missed a rant.

Anyhows, I think there's a bit of a rose-tinted glasses thing going on, I remember that for a good while lots of videos were uploaded because the uploader felt like uploading a video, not out of passion for its content. We did get lots of goodies from that era (and copyrighted content) but not without a lot of chaff, not unlike now. Also there was trend following at the time, too, like with those myriad of AVGN wannabes that got driven into a rage frenzy because they died in a videogame once.

Disclaimer: Not gonna lie, I still daydream about making money off YouTube, and several of the channels I like are, if not for-profit, at least partially funded in some way.

Other than that, I agree, especially about the clickbait, and I dread the notion of it turning into an artform that's you can learn in class like with other forms of advertising and then it becomes ubiquitous, if it's not already.

Looking at YouTube sometimes does feel like those fictitious towns with some terrible secret and everyone is just pretending to be normal.

I wonder if there'll be a... market? for less-commercialized video sites. Nico Nico Douga is kinda less so, which is ironic since it's always trying to sell you something, but at any rate I think that has more to do with a more "genuine" (if worse) search algorithm, good tagging and categorization, etc.

This is one of those times I feel I'm getting old.
    Wait why

I was wondering abou that, too.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I have to admit, there's a part of me that really likes the way things are on YouTube. As long as you find the bits you like and okay with the (admittedly bad) conventions, you're pretty golden.
    I still daydream about making money off YouTube

Who doesn't really? I've always considered trying to do YouTube vs writing, because nobody reads whole stories unless they're the dredges of Wattpad (I'd be nicer here, but I'll indulge myself).
    GENUINELY EXPRESSING THEIR ENTHUSIASM FOR STUFF

I think, on the bright side, that YouTube and social media is making people more cynical towards advertising than they used to be. It's a psychological-gap type situation (usually in the way of "Clearly Kim Kardashian is being paid to advertise this, but maybe it's a good product so I'll buy it anyways") but it's better than it was before.
    does feel like those fictitious towns with some terrible secret and everyone is just pretending to be normal.

Yeah um, like this! You listen to influencers despite knowing it's bad for you. You're always one autoplay video away from being Radicalized by Literally Everything.

I also think some of (some of!) the current crop of YouTube celebrities are surprisingly decent people and the platform has allowed some genuine sense of community to develop. There's a metaphor about taking bitters with medicine I've entirely forgotten due to watching too many toy unboxing videos, but it fits here.

Though to be fair I'd guess YouTube is more like taking your sweets with poison. "More like", but not entirely so.
    I dread the notion of it turning into an artform that's you can learn in class

I'd say clickbait can either be taught or it's a natural talent, but mostly it's super hit and miss, especially since as all YouTubers keep saying, YouTube updated (present tense, it's always in a somehow static state of being updated) it's algorithm to completely destroy them.
    I wonder if there'll be a... market? for less-commercialized video sites.

We never really know how technology turns out, but that might have just been before we got to here. It's a situation with an unpredictable probability, but one where we can also feel sure of where we currently stand.

I'll say; as long as YouTube remains free and ubiquitous (but especially free), creators will flow to it and (accidentally?) chain themselves to it. I think the model you're going for would resemble a mix of Patreon and YouTube* (which is funny because a lot of YouTubers have Patreons). Nico is, mainly, funded by the people who choose to stream their stuff on it, which is basically the opposite of YouTube.

*oh my gosh I just described OnlyFans

In terms of search mechanisms; Optimisation kills genuine search, basically. Shopping on Amazon is a nightmare because of this. Sites with more literal search are better for consumers, but I'm not sure if that means "overall" better. I'm not an expert, I mean.
    This is one of those times I feel I'm getting old.

I have this distinctive... need for certain things to be changing all the time, just to remind me that the world is indeed going around and around. I think that trumps my feelings over getting older.

It's resulted in obsessing over minute things in nonsensical ways, but I don't think it's one of my worse qualities.
  • edited 2019-06-22 20:15:24
    Anyhows, I think there's a bit of a rose-tinted glasses thing going on, I remember that for a good while lots of videos were uploaded because the uploader felt like uploading a video, not out of passion for its content. We did get lots of goodies from that era (and copyrighted content) but not without a lot of chaff, not unlike now.
    A lot of the "chaff" was just people uploading whatever random shit that they had videotaped. So it was less "HEY PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION TO ME" and more "lol this seemed interesting/cool/funny at the time", and other random crap. There was less of an organized push to turn YouTube into Something That Is Designed To Deliver Content To Interested Conusmers.

Unfortunately it's going to be hard to turn back the clock on "youtubing" as a way of getting attention, though removing monetization altogether (as unpopular as that might be) might help, and having a search algorithm that purposely tries to prioritize lower-popularity stuff in defiance/ignorance of trends might help too.

In addition to people being able to upload non-original content for purposes other than parody. If you notice with little-heralded youtube accounts with interesting videos, the focus is rarely ever the uploader (i.e. few are trying to create a brand for themselves, socially or commercially) but rather that they uploaded whatever you were looking for, be it a cat video or a song. This isn't to say branding is bad, but rather, to say that there should be less incentivizing of it, so that the primary focus is on the content rather than brand, and for those few that do have brands, their branding is more meaningful.
  • A lot of the "chaff" was just people uploading whatever random shit that they had videotaped. So it was less "HEY PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION TO ME" and more "lol this seemed interesting/cool/funny at the time", and other random crap. There was less of an organized push to turn YouTube into Something That Is Designed To Deliver Content To Interested Conusmers.

You're right, but... does it matter? Copyright aside* they can still upload those videos, the only difference is that now it's harder for it to be found randomly by someone clicking through related videos, which if it's really some semi-personal thing it shouldn't matter much to the uploader or be likely for the would-be finder to be interested in.

I guess what I'm saying is that with some effort you can enjoy the good parts of YouTube's new reality (some good channels that wouldn't be there otherwise) and ignore the bad/commercial/artificial parts. Also FWIW I find that non-English YouTube hasn't changed nearly as much.

*And if copyright is not something one can set aside, that has less to do with Youtube and more to do with zealous media producers, and that's not something other websites can do significantly better at except by risking getting into legal problems or by being obscure.

I feel like I've been taking too much of a pro-YouTube stance so let me say that I agree that focus should be on the content and that brands should (somehow) be made to serve as an indicator of the content, which is not the direction the site feels like it's been heading to.

I'm reminded of gladjonas, a channel I like with speedrunning clips that tried the YouTube Brand Thing for a while, deleted its previous videos (YouTube didn't like them, presumably because of all the swearing from angry speedrunners) and became List Video with Vapid Commentary #3421 before going back.
    (which is funny because a lot of YouTubers have Patreons)

Come to think, the big channels I know that are funded through Patreons are good, I'm guessing maintaining a loyal fanbase requires a higher level of quality than baiting clicks in (or I haven't been paying attention and there's lots of Patreon-supported trash).

As for algorithms, my brother has been trying for the last three years or so to get me into data science / machine learning / fancy names for statistics, perhaps if I had listened I'd understand more what websites are trying to do, and little things like why there's not don't-recommend-me-this button.
  • edited 2019-07-03 07:40:21
    K1cgJOJ9rGs - I have no idea what video this was, except that it's music of some sort, which I posted here.

Whatever video it was, it was sadly not popular enough to have been anywhere else. As such, no other webpage contains its video code.

And this is why this graveyard exists. To remember those videos lost to the sands of time.

Including the unknown video, whose identity and purpose have been forever lost to the sands of time.
    (It would be nice if YouTube provided a way to check the history of each video code.)
    E9CyIm9xR2Y - Another video whose code has not shown up elsewhere.

I posted it here.

I think it may be a recording of a certain woman playing Chopin's rarely-performed first piano sonata. I think I have that video in my archives, but I'm not sure.
  • edited 2019-07-03 08:24:34
    V2g7JzSFn_w - This was an upload of "Rossini - La gazza ladra", as in The Thieving Magpie. Probably just the overture, since it was like 4:53 long.

Account got terminated due to copyright claims.
    p2hJpxzVDzk - apparently a version of the modern-style hymn "In Every Age", as sung by the Notre Dame Folk Choir, or something like that.
    cf2PwCNOh3M - another version of "In Every Age".

Sadly, information on who performed it is lost.
  • edited 2019-07-03 08:10:29
    4FsFiBXOVK0 - an upload of "I am the Wind", the ending theme of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
    mT5QHy6NUDs - an English version of the Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru opening theme.

The singing in this video I felt wasn't great, but I did really appreciate the lyrics.
  • edited 2019-07-03 08:24:19
    kFgiapUYNPM - 【MAD】Sakura No Ki Ni Narou [Vietsub/kara]

It's a MAD using an AKB48 song. Or, well, it was. Then there was "a copyright claim by a third party".
    mwEOBRGcgDg - Michel Sardou - Greatest hits full album | Best songs of Michel Sardou
    Agk9FxRZONE

I think this used to be a track from the Absolute Duo OST, but I'm not sure. Googling this code suggests it might have been something else, but it's unclear what.
    3SpMNmEV3Ak - Z/X: Code Reunion Opening - Destiny
    The account was terminated.

Well, that was fast.
    h-_81UG4ufE
    Unknown video, but someone linked to it saying that it's the full ED of the anime series Fractale...except the ED is just the song "Down By the Salley Gardens". So it's not clear whether this is just some full version of the song, or specifically a full version of the ending song as sung by that specific singer.