If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• I let myself get convinced by a friend to disassemble a PS3 (sixaxis) controller to fix a stick that gets stuck easily by lubricating the part underneath it. It didn't work very well to make it not get stuck, but more importantly it doesn't work now. It may not be that I damaged it though, getting it to work on a PC is messy (I don't have a PS3) and since my friend was using my PC at the time I didn't make sure that it was working fine beforehand, which I regret now. Though ultimately I suppose that controller wasn't going to do much without a functional left stick.

I tried it again and it's been working fine without having done anything complicated to make it work, so that's good. Also the stick worked so-so for about five minutes before something made a clicking sound and is now back to getting stuck, but hey, it still works.

I read something about a broken piece that could be causing it the issue and I could change the right-side stick's piece for the left's, but as usual I'm worried about breaking something.

Also assembling a Sixaxis controller such that the shoulder buttons are right is surprisingly hard.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Yeah I would guess so.
    before something made a clicking sound

Everybody knows that feeling :P

There was this one time I thought my PS3 was well and truly borked because of some power supply thing. Looking it up online, it turned out either the solution was fairly easy (fix one little connection inside the primary power source) or nearly impossible (import a whole new main power source in which the primary power source sits).

Luckily it turned out I just needed to wait 10 days to try to turn it on again (oh technology).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://newschannel9.com/news/offbeat/man-pours-salt-in-walmart-to-get-rid-of-evil-spirits

No, webpage, putting a slider telling me how long it's going to take to get to the next "page" does not excuse you for making a continuous-scrolling webpage.
    Whilst we were out, my dad needed to log into his e-mail account via my phone since his phone had just died.

The Yahoo! Mail app provided two options:
    • Confirm via a log-in to this e-mail account via the Yahoo! Mail app from his main phone (which was dead)
    • Confirm via a text message (to his dead phone)
    • Confirm via a back-up e-mail (linked to my mom's super-old e-mail address which she hasn't used in years)

As you'll notice, none of these options was "password".
  • Reminds me of Salesforce's site which allows you to sign in with Facebook, but not log in with it, ane since you won't have a password if you signed in with Facebook... well, IIRC you could recover your password, but still.

IJBM: At least on my computer, when Blender runs out of memory instead of throwing an error message, quitting and/or crashing it causes my computer to freeze completely and require a hard reset. And there are many things one can do to accidentally run over the limit.
    I'm definitely having some dead pixel problems on my screen. They started in a corner and are slowly spreading.
  • edited 2019-09-08 16:48:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Discord runs far more smoothly on this tablet than on my PC.
  • edited 2019-09-10 23:31:29
    Confirmed that the dead pixel problems are a physical defect. While the screen is hard to actually apply pressure to, due to it being a touchscreen and the dead pixels being near the edge of the screen, I've managed to somehow apply some pressure to them, which has resulted in some pixels getting fixed, and others becoming broken -- often becoming partly broken in a "they can only show some colors but not others" way. A few pixels are sometimes even noticeably reverting to being broken after I apply pressure.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So you're toggling the brokenness of pixels. Seems like the idiot-friendly solution is to press them until all that don't work are in places where you don't mind it.
  • edited 2019-09-11 13:05:03
    Oh wait, I was supposed to post pointers but forgot to, sorry!

There's software to quickly turn on-off pixels on-screen that often works in resurrecting them, you should try that first before potentially damaging stuff like applying pressure.

Also, dead pixels don't "spread", it's just that whatever kills a pixel is likely to have damaged nearby pixels so they're likely to die next, treat them gently.
  • edited 2019-09-22 17:46:57
    I wish the computer world weren't becoming so reliant on having stable high speed internet connections readily available, it'd be really convenient downloading something once and then having it ready for use or move it to another computer or whatever, but increasingly you have to download a minuscule installer that will download/install several GB worth of files, often without a way to see how big it is, how fast it's going or a way to interrupt it without having to start all over again, or worse, corrupting some files, all done specifically on the computer you're installing on.

On related matters, updating Visual Studio has been a pain.
    I wish the computer world weren't becoming so reliant on having stable high speed internet connections readily available, it'd be really convenient downloading something once and then having it ready for use or move it to another computer or whatever, but increasingly you have to download a minuscule installer that will download/install several GB worth of files, often without a way to see how big it is, how fast it's going or a way to interrupt it without having to start all over again, or worse, corrupting some files, all done specifically on the computer you're installing on.
    Definitely agreed.
    I think I remember that the high-end and middling sectors of computing were becoming so overwhelmed by the whole 'oh of course everybody has high-speed connections' thing that developers practically can't understand the concept of not having said high-speed connection.

I'd say this is owed, in part, to the segmentation of the market between PCs and mobile phones. I've noticed that whilst at first the Google Play store or a Samsung update would just do stuff without telling you the size of a file, that's become practically the norm. So, the theory goes, people who actually insist on buying a PC with a screen you can't even command by touch (shockhorror) are obviously in that bracket that is affluent.

This is discounting hobbyists, legacy users who just prefer this type of interface, and people who just want to compute on computers.

A similar thing is happening with gaming consoles. People who are willing to pay through the nose for an investment like a console are just assumed to have a setup that allows for digital purchases of games, hence the new XBox without a disc drive. I think this'll get much worse, in fact, if Google Stadia catches on (and if Stadia doesn't catch on, the inevitable cloud gaming platform that will). The people who will be willing to pay for in-house processing of their games will seem like obsessive maniacs to the ones who just let Google do it (of course, ignoring the cyclical logic where if your basic internet connection goes out, your Stadia does too).

In terms of the installer downloading it's own files, I think this is a form of two-step authentication meant for the protection of copyrights and such. This makes it extra dumb I'd say.
  • edited 2019-09-23 15:05:23
    In terms of the installer downloading it's own files, I think this is a form of two-step authentication meant for the protection of copyrights and such.

The funny thing is that everything I talked about could be avoided by pirating. (Well, not updates or stuff that's not pirated because it's free, but you get the idea.)
  • edited 2019-09-29 03:55:43
    So my "System" did something amazing today. Running at 0.1%, Task Manager informed me it was running at 100%, in Red. It was basically terrifying.

Looking around for solutions, it turned out three days ago, System Restore had decided to create a restore point without my permission and/or letting me know it was doing it, so that's a thing. Not only that, but this instead didn't help me by allowing me to restore to a past point, it tried to kill my computer whenever it was on.

However, it seems Windows Media Player is somehow involved in this kerfuffle, as it causes System to try and implode whenever I open it and am connected to a network.

What even is with computers sometimes...
  • edited 2019-10-20 19:00:34
    Has the internet demonstrated that we can still get public goods on a commercialized basis but they will get (1) paywalled and (2) heavily weighed down and inefficiencied by advertising?
    I'd say so.

But do you mean and or... or?
    Actual e-mail Firefox sent me:
    Keep that weird thing you searched for private

This genuinely sounds like a sidewinded threat, Firefox.
    Actual e-mail Firefox sent me:
    Keep that weird thing you searched for private

This genuinely sounds like a sidewinded threat, Firefox.

i guess the red panda has made an alliance with the horned rattlesnake?
    Book☆Walker's notifications sign on the main website remains red/pink even if you have exactly 0 unread notifications.
  • edited 2019-12-13 12:27:31
    I can't get my drawing tablet's drivers to work on my desktop, the cursor won't move if they're on (disabling them and using whatever Windows uses as default gives expected results: works but is not as responsive and has no pressure sensitivity). I've tried reinstalling/disabling stuff, to no avail.

On vaguely related stuff, it seems Wacom has had lots of competition these last years and is not the borderline monopoly it was back then when I bought mine, it's a much better time to purchase one now.
    Book☆Walker's notifications sign on the main website remains red/pink even if you have exactly 0 unread notifications.

This is one reason why I stopped using Discord on my browser.

The favicon permanently said I had notifications.
  • edited 2019-12-20 12:44:17
    So I was rereading the top of this thread.
    There was this one time I thought my PS3 was well and truly borked because of some power supply thing. Looking it up online, it turned out either the solution was fairly easy (fix one little connection inside the primary power source) or nearly impossible (import a whole new main power source in which the primary power source sits).

Luckily it turned out I just needed to wait 10 days to try to turn it on again (oh technology).

I now have experience with this one, the problem is that power issues can cause capacitors to remain charged even though the power supply is off, especially if it's already faulty to start with, and (for its own safety IIRC) it won't turn on if they're not discharged, so you have to wait until they do (with no power input).

If you want to accelerate the process, turn off the power supply and disconnect it from the outlet, then keep the PS3/PC/whatever's power button pressed for a couple minutes, leaving it like that overnight may be necessary. Trying unsuccessfully to turn it on resets the process.
    This will probably be helpful more than once in the future, so thanks!
    Firefox changed the little icon you get when you drag something up to the tabline
    this is the worst thing that has ever happened to Firefox ever
    worse than 65 itself
    Everything on New YouTube is really gigantic.
    Please do not embed more than 20 videos on your profile page.
    > We need someone to boost the server.

No, no, please, do not do this.
  • edited 2020-04-11 20:22:01
    I can't get my drawing tablet's drivers to work on my desktop, the cursor won't move if they're on (disabling them and using whatever Windows uses as default gives expected results: works but is not as responsive and has no pressure sensitivity). I've tried reinstalling/disabling stuff, to no avail.
    Fixed, somehow. For unrelated reasons I was messing with screen settings (which have to do with tabler settings), so it ocurred me to try to get the tablet working right again. Even disabling the manufacturer's drivers wouldn't get it to move the cursor. I noticed "Tablet Client Driver" to run on startup but was disabled, it's one of Microsoft's drivers that I believe I disabled last time, anyhow enabling them and restarting made the tablet work fine again.
    I'm not sure how this relates but until then the driver settings program wouldn't show up on the tray as it usually did even though it otherwise seemed to work fine (the settings' menus, not its effects on the tablet).
    On related news, due to contrived circumstances for now I have a second moniror, which is a feature I didn't know I wanted so much until I tried it.