If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    My firefox opens a second window when I run it after startup. One is what I had left at the time I switched the computer off, the other is empty. It appears this is related to previously having opened additional windows. Private mode, links opened in new windows, probably even browsing history. They may be long closed when I turn the computer off, but it still happens. As for pop-ups: I am not sure about them, I don't yet feel like switching adblock off and doing experiments. Any of you guys have ever encountered something like this?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Yeah I don't know what's going on there but Firefox tends to break in weird ways in inbetweeney updates depending on what add-ons you have. It might not even be adblock.

Once I updated to a version that always started with a restore session page and the page it was trying to restore was always about:blank.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    The latter does sound a bit like something that can be related, aye.
  • I can't help but note that apparently Firefox's private mode windows are stored somewhere in your disk.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I can't help but note that apparently Firefox's private mode windows are stored somewhere in your disk.
    What do you mean by this?
  • Unless I misunderstood, gck's Firefox restores whatever was open when he last closed it, including private mode windows and even past computer shutdowns, meaning it's saved somewhere.
    Ah.
    Ran along with it for a while. Seems the problem was that closing Firefox and shutting down the system immediately afterwards. Firefox somehow registered that as not having been closed properly and restarted upon the next system startup. The second window came from me not realizing that, and since I did not know it's gonna open anyway, I clicked on the icon, giving Firefox a signal to open another window.

At least, that's my current hypothesis.
    The new Firefox update is great because every other site gets me "Firefox has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired." even if I was on said site like two minutes before the update.
    It turns out autoplay video can be disabled by a simple under-the-hood setting on Firefox.

That this option is not disabled by default sure is nefarious.
    Had a weird occurence. Installed a game from an abandonware website, had to mount a virtual drive and all that. Plazed for few minutes, saw what it's worth, uninstalled. At least, tried. The game's uninstaller didn't work under my OS. Downloaded an uninstaller program. It removed the game... except all the files were still there. But the system (and the program too) treated it as if they weren't. So in the end I removed the files directly.
  • Perhaps you could try installing whatever then uninstalling it with that program. My guess is that said program isn't supposed to delete those files.
  • edited 2019-02-15 02:38:29
    This thread is also about hardware now.

I let myself get convinced by a friend to disassemble a PS3 (sixaxis) controller to fix a stick that gets stuck easily by lubricating the part underneath it. It didn't work very well to make it not get stuck, but more importantly it doesn't work now. It may not be that I damaged it though, getting it to work on a PC is messy (I don't have a PS3) and since my friend was using my PC at the time I didn't make sure that it was working fine beforehand, which I regret now. Though ultimately I suppose that controller wasn't going to do much without a functional left stick.
  • edited 2019-02-15 04:51:35
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I once tried to fix my PSP after I'd worn out the front buttons only to discover the front buttons and the screen were inexplicably connected to the same motherboard.

Finding said motherboard would have been a nightmare so I ended up replacing it.
    getting it to work on a PC is messy

Funny thing about this is getting a PS3 controller to work on a PC is a bit of a hassle but getting an XBox controller to work on a PC that is running Windows involves buying a whole new periphery device.
    I think PSP emulation is pretty good these days? Or so I've heard at least. So if your PSP is broken you might as well just emulate.
    I've since moved on from PSP gaming. This was quite a while ago.
    Something's not right with my firefox. Works unpleasantly slowly at times. So far reinstalled firefox, checked for malware, so on. Doesn't seem to be the reason. Can it be hardware? I generally don't use resource-heavy software, so at the moment I might have not spotted problems elsewhere.
    The latest Firefox updates have really been a mess. For a few weeks trying to get to a couple of sites would result in a network protocol error until I refreshed a random number of times (presumably it was to please the fickle Firefox Deity).

It might be one of your add-ons suddenly got an update that is eating memory. It's always best to check in on those once in a while. Last year I had to replace my cookie manager because it was loading all of my cookies from Firefox into it's database every time I started Firefox, or even just a new window, which would mean pages couldn't load for a whole minute.
  • edited 2019-04-23 15:42:12
    Windows has the fancy command line powercfg -energy that tests your system and gives you a rundown of issues regarding energy consumption, such as your energy settings and which software are the most responsible for it.

If you want to use it to measure your energy consumption and get an actual number (which other software can do), you're out of luck.

Edit: Software that should show that info, doesn't. I'm going to assume my hardware is not set up for that.
    That sounds really odd, actually. You'd think any device could do it. I mean, smartphones do it and they're mostly the bottom rung of computing.

Though to be honest the reading list feature on Firefox mobile is really useful for all those times I have 20 Vox articles open and I need to save them for later.
  • That sounds really odd, actually. You'd think any device could do it. I mean, smartphones do it and they're mostly the bottom rung of computing.

^ Keep in mind, energy management is super important for mobile devices, if there's one thing they should be better at than desktops, it's things related to that.

Anyhows, Youtube has decided that I absolutely need to watch this video which has a... provocative thumbnail, and I'd really like to stop it from showing up on my feed lest someone else sees it there.
    Youtube has decided that I absolutely need to watch this video which has a... provocative thumbnail

A lot of YouTube videos have those, and I have a distinct policy of avoiding them at all costs even if the premise is interesting.
    energy management is super important for mobile devices

That is true. I guess this is one of those things our friends in Silicon Valley overlooked for normal computers. They do this a lot.
  • edited 2019-05-05 05:18:32
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Yesterday, Firefox rolled out an "instant" update (ie one you didn't need to install) that would disable Autoplay video.

Unfortunately, not only did this enable Autoplay video on my browser, which I'd already figured out how to fix, it also killed everybody's add-ons. It's... vaguely fixed right now, for some people, and the only way to get it fixed right now is to opt into Mozilla's data collection, so that's fun.

Also with adblock gone I've tried to avoid a lot of sites but Renta! has been everywhere I do go where they have less than intrusive ads and it's getting harder to resist at least browsing the hyper-varied BL collection.
    Not an annoyance, but just a neat video:
    One-use DVD rentals were big in Japan for a while (when VN harem shows were a thing). I remember seeing a bunch of unused ones for sale once for a ridiculous amount (even for Japanese Anime DVDs) on an auction site.

In other news; CDJapan's English manga reader is closing up shop. I'm not too bothered, since I mostly use them for their Japanese manga/magazines/books/etc shop anyways.
    It's a curiously awkward feeling when something other people are talking about involves a word that's in one of your passwords.
  • is it "correct horse battery staple"
  • edited 2019-06-01 00:06:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Good guess, but no.

It's not "wrong duck capacitor paperclip" either.
  • I can never remember "correct horse battery staple".
    my yandex account's password is Коря́кскаяsteppeба́бушка