If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Clearly, the only reason for Eurovision's existence was so Lordi could have won in it. After that, I kind of lost the mental space that I'd previously had for it. It has served its purpose.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    It is really a pop-man's game otherwise. Last year there was a single screamo band but that was the first time I'd seen one since I started caring.
  • I have just discovered the #Compass character songs.

Actually I've heard Killer B before finding out what it was

• edited 2019-02-02 06:08:55
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    note to self: the following Mai Kuraki songs:
    もう一度
    chance for you

• This might be the most confusing character song ever.

The lyrics are n English but I can't say I understood anything.
    List of Eureka Seven OP/ED song covers by other artists (that I know of)

DAYS by FLOW - Faylan (bossa-nova ver)
    Himitsu Kichi by Takada Kozue - ELISA (deeper vocal mix)
    sakura by nirgilis - ClariS (straight up cover), Sasaki Sayaka (denpa happy mix?)

• I can't stop obsessing about this
  • edited 2019-02-08 16:38:16
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Random songs I find myself singing surprisingly frequently

Victoria Justice - You're the Reason

BG5 - Scratch
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Things that are not the same:

Hiroki Kikuta, music composer for Secret of Mana
    Hiromi Kikuta, sound director for a bunch of anime series
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Found some crazy-ass folk. Jumpy. This is the tune you'd hear in the duel scene if Deliverance was set in the Carpathians.

Jar - Domowik
  • edited 2019-02-15 04:45:16
    That's really good.

Lately I've been really into the Uchuu Sentai Kyuuranger opening.

Oh and this, which I guess is a lighter take on modern pop music.

• Can't wait to hear the full version of this song.

That every member of AXiS has the same voice actor as someone in Seventh Sisters will surely do something for live performances.
  • edited 2019-02-22 04:57:08
    The Aikatsu! franchise shared a lot of singing voices althroughout Aikatsu!, Aikatsu! Akari Generation and Aikatsu Stars! which resulted in some girls having the same voices but never an entire unit.
  • This feels like Donuts heard those (maybe along with Bushiroad putting Milky Holmes voices together in BanG Dream) and decided to be all "you are like a little baby watch this".
    PriPara did have a whole unit voiced by one person for about ten episodes.

I just had one of those moments when the TV size of a song greatly misrepresents the whole. Case in point, TOKYO Dreamer by NICO Touches the Walls is not a super upbeat song, but by putting the chorus in so early the Captain Earth OP makes it seem much more fast-paced than it is.

It did indeed take me five years between first hearing this song as the Captain Earth opening and finally getting the full version myself.
    Performance Girls Unit 9nine Enters Indefinite Hiatus

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • edited 2019-02-28 20:03:49
    The following three peppy C major 80s/90s J-pop songs with female vocalists have run together in my mind:
    * the Sailor Stars opening theme
    * the second Magic Knight Rayearth ending theme (note: not present in the English version of the show, if I recall correctly)
    * the ending theme for the game Ys I

• Can't say that kradness was one of the people I would've expected to do a cover of this song.
    lol in Q4 2017: THIS IS THE BEST SONG EVER

lol in Q1 2019: Nope I can't.
  • edited 2019-03-14 05:10:06
    For me, K-pop idol boys have always presented this image of Perfectly Perfect Boys. They all sing in that perfect -always on key- sort-of-but-not-too sultry voice they dance, they're amicable on variety shows, and they wear super-cool clothes picked out by a randomizer A.I. simultaneously flicking through GQ and a kitsch magazine probably called Fisherman's Daily.

Unlike Japanese idol boys, who always have a certain rough 'We're gonna try hard!' element to them, I've always admired and acknowledged these things about K-pop idol boys. They have this unspoken element of 'fitting into society', and if there weren't any stigma from liking K-pop attached, they can even be viewed as an 'acceptable interest' for a 'normal person'.

But this all came shattering down for me a few days ago when it turned out Seungri from BIGBANG of all people, a band I listened to intently for about three years in the very early 2010s, was implicated in a scandal where he provided prostitutes to business investors. I was not only surprised, but actually genuinely horrified. I've heard horror stories about the K-pop industry, but those involved management taking advantage of the talent, this was the talent engaging in criminal activity wholly unrelated to the industry. A 'just because he could', situation.

Even worse than this, somehow, was the news that investigations into Seungri had tripped into another case where a solo artist named Jung Joon Young (who frankly I'd never heard of) filmed himself sleeping with at the very least tens of women without their consent. This is insane, and not something I'd expect out of K-pop. These guys give off this air of being very well adjusted, and I know trusting what a celebrity is putting out themselves is insane, but I believed that at least K-pop stars would hold themselves to a higher standard than the rest of the entertainment industry.

And I just now learned that leader of F.T.ISLAND, a hybrid rock/boy band that I have kept up a passing interest in for over seven years, may have been part of Jung Joon's inner circle.

This is all really surprising to me, and I can't imagine what those poor girls, including one who reported Jung Joon to the police and then withdrew her statement because she was afraid of retaliation, went through and are still going through.
  • edited 2019-03-14 13:50:08
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Took me a while to understand "filming oneself sleeping with women without their consent" can mean "filming without consent", not "sleeping without consent". Was wondering why such a roundabout description. But anyways, that's awful enough on its own. Looks like K-pop has its own Michael Jackson moment.

Also.

There's a weird story behind this record. Some time ago, I was browsing for goblin-themed metal bands. Turned out there's like two dozen of them. Searching the youtube revealed several songs, and one cover by some girlie goofing off with a guitar. I checked that too, went down to see comments, and, well. I was surprised to see condolences. This got me interested and I took to looking through her channel, other linked channels, so on. Apparently she was a member of some black metal web community. Apparently - I'm guessing, but they say what they can without putting it bluntly - she commited suicide a few months ago, and it's her work published as a memorial to her. If not for that I'd never give her more attention than any other random youtuber otherwise, yet there, I've gotta admit I was somewhat moved by this whole story. So, I'm posting it, sort of to pay my respects.
  • Took me a while to understand "filming oneself sleeping with women without their consent" can mean "filming without consent", not "sleeping without consent". Was wondering why such a roundabout description.
    Oh darn I hadn't realized. I guess it didn't occur to me because I'd have explicitly said 'sexual assault' otherwise.
    Update on lol's trigger -high school ver- PV, it will be on their Sayonara no Kisetsu/lolli-lolli single!

So that's good.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    looks like someone with a video-making megaphone took that popular claim that there's an alleged scientific study that "proves" that music is "getting worse" and took it apart.

About time we had a convenient thing to link people who make this claim.
    I think modern mainstream pop music is different and interesting, but a personal knock against it is that it eschews real life instruments in favor of digital things and is in love with repetitive dance breakdowns with no lyrics constantly interjecting in vocal pieces.
  • edited 2019-03-29 04:57:18
    this is pretty

h/t to someone on the music theory subreddit
  • repetitive dance breakdowns with no lyrics constantly interjecting in vocal pieces.

That reminds me: the original version of LUVORATORRRRRY does this, but the more well-known (judging by YouTube views) inserted rapping segments.

Apparently Sanremo, the Italian competition that decides who goes to Eurovision and actually inspired Eurovision has like 49 entrants this year.

So I actually don't need to watch Eurovision at all I just need to find a TV channel that shows Sanremo (unlikely*) or just watch all of those music videos and make a chart and hope whoever I picked wins. It's basically going original hipster on Eurovision, which makes me afraid of creating black holes of over-hipster-dom.

Anyways Italy's Eurovision entry this year is kiiiind of terrible so that's a first (well, in my experience).

*also a time machine because Sanremo is in February.