If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Thoughts on the Spanish Language

Comments

• edited 2018-06-25 19:56:26
    It's the Argentine version of this:

Dunno about the Shulk thing.
  • edited 2018-06-26 01:12:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    How does "fichines" mean something related to videogames?
  • First time I hear that word.

From a quick Google it means "arcade" in Argentina.
  • edited 2018-09-06 03:08:20
    jugar = (v) to play
    juego = (n) game
    jugo = (n) juice
    lugar = (n) place
    luego = (adv) later/soon/therefore
    Lugo = (n) (a city or province in Spain)

Latin:
    ludus = game
    locus = place
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    crujientes de papa sagrado
    if something-ón is a bigger something, then what is a wontón and what is a nyoro~n ñorón?
    Something I've been curious about for a while:

* Venezuela
    * Valenzuela

Are these two names related?
    Re:Zero tiene un doblaje.

Este vídeo compara los doblajes en japonés, inglés y español.

• Something I've been curious about for a while:

* Venezuela
    * Valenzuela

Are these two names related?

Both are based on a place name (Venice* and Valencia respectively) plus the "zuela" suffix (or its equivalent in italian).

* Because of these. Alternatively it means "big water" in Añú and the resemblance is a coincidence.
  • edited 2019-02-19 07:58:40
    TIL "usted" must not be used when referring to the king of Spain.
    Majestad es el tratamiento protocolario que designa el Real Decreto 1368/1987.1​ En lengua oral, sin embargo, es usado el de señor.2​ Si se emplea la dignidad mayestática, el tiempo empleado debe ser la segunda persona del plural; por el contrario, si se emplea señor, se emplea la tercera persona del singular.3​ En ningún caso puede ser tratado de usted.2​
    I know that talking about location should use estar, e.g. "¿Donde está el gato?", but what kind of sense is implied (aside from someone being a noob at Spanish) if someone says "¿Donde es el gato?"? Or more generally, is there some sort of poetic or other meaning to assigning location as an inherent quality to something?
  • edited 2019-04-10 00:18:07
    I can't think of any context where doing so suggests anything besides misuse of grammar.

If for some reason one wants to assign it some other meaning, in an extremely generous way I think one can interpret that "ser" as a synonym of "existir" and get all philosophical about it.
  • edited 2019-04-24 02:28:27
    What do you mean? The only ones I can come up with are Argentina, (República) Dominicana and China (Can't think of a non-country example).

Descubrí otro: Noruega.
  • edited 2019-05-01 21:36:18
    ¿Cuál es correcto, and por qué?

"los componentes, que han hecho posible mantener la cobertura forestal"
    "los componentes, que han hechos posible mantener la cobertura forestal"
  • The former. "Hechos" is the plural of "hecho", i.e. facts, but the word there refers to the conjugation of the verb "hacer".
    Oh, it's just used as a conjugation and not as a participle and is thus not declined, I see.

Also, TIL, "pingas" means "penises" in Spanish.
  • Yup. I've always figured that was the point of the meme.

Anyhows...

ZhnGhAq.jpg
    So how is a sweetened carbonated beverage named? =P
    Yup. I've always figured that was the point of the meme.
    Pretty sure it has more to do with "pingas" sounding like "penis" in English.
  • Here we call them "refrescos", though I guess by default one can't go wrong with "neutral" TV Spanish, in this case either "gaseosas" or "sodas".
  • ¿Cual dialecto del español hablas?

I got 1. Venezuela, 2. Canary Islands, 3. Colombia
    > TV advertisement for Babbel.com
    ¡La cena estaba deliciosa!

Should this be "estaba" or "era"?
  • "Estaba" (or "estuvo") is correct, " era" is not. I don't think there's a particular reason why that's so.
  • edited 2019-08-29 21:37:42
    Does it depend on whether it's past vs. present tense, or whether it is about the meal or the individual food item itself?
  • It doesn't depend on tense ("estuvo/esta/estara deliciosa"). It does depend on it being a specific meal rather than the food item itself ("el pasticho de ayer estuvo delicioso" vs. "el pasticho es delicioso, lo como siempre que puedo"). I'm not sure how that fits into the whole ser vs. estar thing.

Assume there are tildes wherever there should be one.
  • edited 2019-08-31 07:23:51
    Maybe it's because a meal is a temporary process in time but a food is a static concept? Or is it not really this at all?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Maybe it's because a meal is a temporary process in time but a food is a static concept?

I do like how metaphysical language becomes when you try and analyze it.
  • My mother (who knows philosophy) claims that us Spanish speakers have an edge in philosophy due to the ser vs. estar* thing.

I doubt it's true.

* tl;dr: both literally mean "is", but "ser" is used when something is essentially true (is that the right term?), as opposed to circumstantially true which is when "estar" is used. Except when it's an exception (which is often).
    Do adverbs generally come first in Spanish?

e.g. "Ahora no tengo bastante dinero."?

I'm asking this since the placement of "now" can affect English meaning:
    "Now I don't have enough money" = something just happened to cause my cash to be insufficient*
    "I don't have enough money now" = these past several days/weeks/months I've had little money left over

*(Also there is another usage of "Now, ", as a sentence opener, a la "So, " or "Well, ", but this isn't the meaning I'm referring to.)