If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• There is (was?) a similar thing in MtG with people using knowledge of its printing runs and the booster's position within the box to try and predict where the good rares are, though the few times I've seen it live have resulted in failed predictions.

Anyhows, a spider keeps making a spiderweb in a place I often go through and I keep getting spiderweb over my hair whenever I go through it. Also the spider is larger than any I've seen, I wonder if I should kill it lest it turns out to be dangerous.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'd definitely get rid of it. Whenever I get spiderweb in my hair or anywhere else on me I'm paranoid about having an actual spider on me for about ten minutes.

I don't actually get what the point of trying to weigh a Pokémon Booster, since the game is all about using multiples of a card, and a lot of the most useful cards are just normal ones and you need to get a bunch of doubles of them. Plus, anything super hyper special foil is usually limited to one per deck or even one of that type of card per deck. It'd be a reckless (and bad) strategy to try and structure a deck like that.

I guess if you want to collect only the special cards in a series it makes a bit more sense, but outside of that it just seems weird.
  • edited 2019-01-16 15:23:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Large size and web that just gets in the way of paths suggests it might be an orb-weaver of some sort, which is a pretty diverse group of spiders but they're known for spinning those stereotypically large, circular webs, as well as being large and colorful. I don't know of them being notably venomous (nor even notably aggressive) to humans, just that their method of acquiring food is specifically about being in the way of things.

But do whatever. Assuming you're in an urban area, it's unlikely to be an endangered species anyhow.
  • It's not colorful (it's a dull, brownish grey) so it's probably not an orb-weaver.

Anyhows, it seems to have moved its web to a nearby brush and I can't find the spider itself anymore. Maybe it's better if I let it live. I don't think there are dangerous spiders here* and it can hunt flies or something, though I wanted to take a picture of it at least.

* Google told me a nest of black widows was found a couple years ago, but that's all I've heard.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You know what guys, I'm glad to live in a place where the spiders one meets tend not to pose such problems.
  • edited 2019-01-16 19:41:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Black widows also form messy webs, and tend to hang out in dark, undisturbed areas, which is a notable contrast to orb-weavers tending to hang out in very visible locations. (I'm pretty sure it's an orb-weaver that made a huge web between two poles of the patio at my friend's house, right next to the swimming pool, even though I don't remember what the spider looks like.)

And not all orb-weavers are colorful; they're a huge group of spider species.
    >daily mail (just kidding)

Microplastics, which flood into the oceans via our love of scrub-type cosmetics and detergents, have also secretly been permeating our soil via industrial grade fertilizers. The actual fertilizer bits are wrapped in tiny plastic shells which are then left in the soil for like... ever.

Speaking of plastic waste, the current trend in children's toys being blind-packaged items has led to a looooot of plastic waste post opening (yes, even more than usual). The worst offenders have to be Party Popteenies, who come in a hard plastic can with lots of moving parts that is basically useless/unrecyclable once the spring mechanism is used once, ever.

Then again the market leaders (L.O.L. Surprise) just released a line with gigantic can containers that are also practically useless once opened up (not to mention the number of tiny plastic bags they come with).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So I'm doing the MIT Mystery Hunt again this year. It started earlier today and we're right in the midst of it, so this is an excellent time to join if you want.

For reference, the Mystery Hunt is a puzzlehunt (with attached excuse-plot elements) that's run every January during Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend, where teams from around the world solve tons of puzzles, mainly online but a few on the MIT campus. I'm part of a mostly-online team and we're always welcoming new members. No experience or commitment necessary!

Reply here letting me know you're interested and I'll PM you an invite link to our team's Slack chat.
    Have fun, GMH~

As I found out from the one time I participated, I'm no good with puzzles like this, especially in rapid succession.
    When you step outside the bubble of a certain United States President it turns out there is a lot of news and it's exhausting.

For example, did you know that Greek Austerity Hero (and them prompt villain once people were people and played the 'we'll change the people in power and then riot against the power we elected anyways*' card) Alexis Tsipras has survived two entire no-confidence votes that were put forward because of a naming war between Greece and Macedonia?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, I don't like how Mr. Trump dominates news headlines.

I just started tuning out updates about him. They're generally just about him doing something stupid or outrageous anyway. It's really not that interesting.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Macedonia changing its name to relieve the tension between itself and Greece, in cooperation with the latter, is quite good news actually. Not perhaps the most important part of the world, but still. Probably the silliest international conflict of the post-Cold War era.
    Good news is always welcome, really.

It has been raining for literally three days.

Also how is the whole "Japan and Russia have a dispute over some islands and therefore WWII is officially not 100% over" debacle still a thing.
    Smog today made the city look like Silent Hill. Quite aesthetic, to be honest, as long as you are fine with the smell.
  • Keeping up with one country's on-goings is already hard enough.

I just heard about the TempleOS guy (tl;dr: man was on a divinely appointed mission to create God's operating system). I think I should be grateful that my occasionally slow and unreliable brain is nonetheless functional.

Also:
    As I found out from the one time I participated, I'm no good with puzzles like this, especially in rapid succession.
    Keeping up with one country's on-goings is already hard enough.

Good point.

One of the main 'reasons' I try to keep up with everything is that via a giant leap of logic I think I might one day maybe be on a general knowledge TV game show and I'll need to know stuff. Why I think it'll be geopolitics themed, I have no idea.
    man was on a divinely appointed mission

Always a good start.

Apparently like 1,200+ private jets will be flying to Davos this week, where one of the purported main themes is protecting the environment.

Toy fair starts on February 2nd but I think I already know everything I need to know about toys in Q1/2 2019 already. Usually toy fair reveals are for nerdier brands that pay attention to such things, none of which I care for.
    Remember all that ethics stuff I wouldn't stop talking about?

Well, I just got a phone call asking me to be part of a feature on it. For a real trade magazine. A continent-wide trade magazine.

It feels slightly surreal.
    At the moment I feel too hazy from staying awake too late for five consecutive days to feel like I can give an informed opinion on anything vaguely serious, but having said that, I assume this is good news.

Also, I have a story about students these days. At this point I won't tell you exactly what happened, but I can describe it pretty well on an example. Suppose you tell someone to define, say, mass, and they start speaking of a religious ritual. (Don't dwell too long on it, it's just an example.) I acknowledge that some words have multiple meanings, but the context of the engineering course they're in should clue them onto the right answer. First time it was hilarious, after a few more I started doubting myself. I mean, they don't look that level of stupid, do they? And if so, well, I guess they must have assumed we were being tricky with them.
    I assume this is good news.

Yeah, it is.
    I started doubting myself.

Maybe it's a coping mechanism when they don't know what the answer is but also don't want to leave a blank space. But even I, a person who has not studied physics for about 6/7 years now (and probably even some kid in primary school) know at least a little bit about mass.

They're either messing with you (sorry) or some sort of weird religious thing is going on.

As much as I am loyal to CDJapan's eBook service, it's quite annoying/jarring that the home page features a carousel that is 3/5 ads of scantily clad Japanese women. It's really dumb that I'm so loyal, since BOOK☆WALKER has lots more available to me.

The only thing they don't have is seiyuu magazines and even then CDJ's offerings are constantly thinning.
  • Grats on becoming kinda-sorta famous!

As for the mass thing, it sounds like an attempt at getting partial points with a correct-but-irrelevant answer.

TIL one can use VLC media player to download Youtube videos.
    Thanks~!

I've tried the VLC thing but it never works out for me.
  • edited 2019-02-02 12:24:41
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Now that I'm not constantly writing a new story I feel like my posts everywhere have gotten longer and more detailed.

Going to the bank always makes me feel old. I have to admit that whilst I was there I did think of it as 'adulting'. Very millennial, I guess.

Meanwhile, Toy Fair starts tomorrow! Woo!

Turns out Toy Fair is well into the month. About two weekends away ;-;
    Meanwhile I can't even finish writing an RPG adventure. Tried my hand at it, but all the good ideas turn out to not make any sense.
    My best advice is: whatever you're thinking of never makes sense the first go around. Give it a few days, weeks, work on something else even. If it's an idea that burrows into the deepest reaches of your brain, it will come back to you.

Like right now I'm trying really hard not to just hunker down and start working on a story I've already written three entire arcs of from the beginning. I love the version I wrote, it was [kay about to wax marketing lyrical now] inspired by the concept of "mystery"x"healing story"x"upper-class drama".

But as I read through my characters backstories it's as if I'm doing math with things. I divide some things and what used to be two characters become one. I add to others and a character who kind of disappears in the middle now gets top billing. In the end, the "healing story" bit works if I want to do one thing, but if I want to do another, by writing a single arc (with a short first sub-arc) I can highlight the characters but make it a bit darker. In the end, my main theme becomes self-mandated loneliness.

Oh also something that works really well is forgetting the trappings of the setting to focus on who the characters are and what they're meant to do and what type of (not exact specific) endgames you have for them, and then build around that.
    Thanks mate. If you're curious, in my case the starting point was that one cool mental image I got, but then the specifics of a setting discarded pretty much every idea of how to turn it into a story. You know, the "if wizards can teleport at will, then how can I make this story about a trapped wizard work" kind of problem. As of now I'm contemplating either letting it go until inspiration strikes me with something workable, or pushing through with the basic outline to work out the details later.
  • edited 2019-02-02 04:54:46
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think the basic outline should help you in filling out those minor details once inspiration strikes. It's always good to have as much as possible to work from (because you will edit out at least 20% of it eventually <_<).
    It occurred to me that starting a 16 hour TV series the week that I have to really gear up and re-enter the real world of all of my responsibilities wasn't the brightest idea.

It didn't help that I spent two hours yesterday browsing through Amazon like it was a catalogue. Which, I guess, it is. Does anybody else miss tree-killing catalogues with that terrible magazine paper? A friend once gave me a gigantic one for Christmas. Yes, his present was a catalogue. We were young at the time.

It was pretty outdated when I got it but I looked through that thing obsessively for at least a year.

I'm trying to write without using too many parentheses and I'm not sure it's working.
    What I read in the news today: apparently Bangladesh is menaced by a vigilante who murders men suspected of rape, leaves notes:
    I am Rakib. I am the rapist of a madrasa girl…of Bhandaria. This is the consequence of a rapist. Be aware rapists…Hercules.

Yep, apparently he (?) likes to be called "Hercules". Got three so far. I do kinda hope they were guilty, because then, well, their deaths would mean at least something rather than nothing at all.

Linky: https://www.thedailystar.net/country/news/bangladesh-rapist-found-murdered-jhalakathi-note-1696075
    Fashion.

Oh fashion.

You really need to stop trying to sell artistic representations of blackface. This is the second thing this year with weird blackfacey connotations after Prada's weird bags.

Like does there really need to be a giant "Don't put weird-shaped red lips on a black human shape" sign in every atelier?