If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    I finished M3.

It had a really strong opening quarter, then a kind of good quarter, then a quarter where everything was recaps and very out there backstory, then a frankly quite unsalvageable final quarter.

Also it had this terrible habit of revealing all of the terrible things a character had done about ten minutes before killing them, which made it extremely easy to tell what was going to happen.
  • Also it had this terrible habit of revealing all of the terrible things a character had done about ten minutes before killing them, which made it extremely easy to tell what was going to happen.

Reminds me of the Mahoiku anime putting someone's flashbacks right before they die.
    Well in MahoIku it was a service of "whole" storytelling, by having a character come full circle. A lot of backstory was in episodes and not in the original novel, and whilst I do think maybe they should have integrated things better there were some real constraints with the adaptation.

In M3, it was done in service of making sure we could never directly blame Tsugumi for a named characters death. It was almost as if it was afraid of her actually directly causing permanent harm, which is weird because Akashi was allowed to spend the better part of the entire series thinking he'd doomed Emiru to a life of being a Mecha Brain for a very long while.

Then again, even Akashi is absolved of that at the very end of the series when they can finally reverse Emiru's Necrometitis. Which leads me to another thing; every named character who was ever killed by an Admonition was irrevocably terrible, and all of the good characters aside from a guy who was presumed dead at the very start of the series but wasn't end up alive at the end. This paired with Mayoiga makes me think Okada is a bit scared of killing off characters, even when it makes sense.

Anyways, look forward to my ridiculously detailed M3 notes thread, because I have a looooot of notes.
  • Well in MahoIku it was a service of "whole" storytelling, by having a character come full circle. A lot of backstory was in episodes and not in the original novel, and whilst I do think maybe they should have integrated things better there were some real constraints with the adaptation.

That honestly annoys me about the anime since it makes those flashbacks look like part of everyone's roles in Snow White's story rather than their own stories.
    The anime was Snow White's story, though to be honest that's only established later in the series. I think for the first six episodes or so it worked well enough as an ensemble piece.

After all, LN anime are made to advertise the rest of the series and it's world, so the misconception is easily cleared if the viewer is interested enough.
  • edited 2018-08-28 05:06:28
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    IW85ngV.jpg

This is Miyabi Mamoru (雅マモル), Miyano Mamoru's personal stalker who has appeared more than once, apparently.

This is his video message from his 6th 31st birthday (It's Miyabi's 31st 16th birthday).

I have no idea what this actually is but it's great.

Here he is with actual R&B musician Miura Daichi (third from left in the bottom row):
    qVa2PEm.jpg

He's also the akogare of cheerleaders everywhere:

xG85wDa.jpg
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ I confess, I have no idea what any of this post means.
    GMHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (I actually anticipated this so I had my reply all ready).
    > The real identities of “Miyabi Mamoru” and group are actually the parody alter-personas of popular voice actors Takahiro Sakurai as 'Takahiro ...

oh there we go

in other news, I just put mayonnaise on rice
    Nobody needs your Vividred Operation propaganda here GMH.

So next year we'll be treated to the first ever adaptation of a Madoka Magica side story. Unfortunately, it's an adaptation of the Magia Record mobage and not anything to actually look forward to.
    pasted from a MAL post i just made

someone made a crappy "poll" asking what races watched the most anime, and gave a really dumb list of choices consisting of "black", "white", "yellow", "brown", and "albino". so therefore, it invited mockery.
    no, clearly elves and lizardfolk watch more anime
    Nah... they're IN anime, but few, if any, actually watch it.
    They don't understand Japanese, and nobody knows how to translate into their languages very well.
    I don't see them becoming a noteworthy viewership demographic any time soon.
    So you know how in D&D there are some wizards (generally NPCs, albeit) who do stuff like make a living making magic items and stuff?

Now I'm imagining a wizard whose profession is making dubs of whatever magical technology that provides video entertainment.

Incidentally, human wizards are more likely than other humans to know Draconic...though the first dubbing wizards might just be making gag dubs full of wizardry jokes that no one else would get.

I mean, what else are you gonna do with your buddies at 4 am after you've already wasted your entire money pouch on ale and the tavernkeeper's kicked you out for unruly behavior.
    I have a super serious complaint; most serious anime next cour have adult MCs and serious artstyles. I didn't get into anime for people with normal sized heads, so this bothers me a lot.

• I can't believe this is happening already. Then again the Kancolle anime was less than two years after its game launched,
    what I watched: Lord Marksman and Vanadis
    what I expected: boobs, boobs, boobs, swords, sorcery
    what I got: An Short Military and Political History of the Life and Times of Count Tigrevurmud Vorn of Alsace; and a side order of boobs

summoning @Bluesy_Cowgirl because relevant to said user's interests
  • edited 2018-09-24 04:35:42
    I started reading the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist manga. It's the same original manga, but VIZ split it off from chapter 60 on because this is where the manga started focusing on Duel Monsters more.

In the chapters that I read (61 and 62) Yugi receives an 8mm tape from Maximillion J. Pegasus, the creator of Duel Monsters and the owner of the company that distributes it. In the tape, Maxi challenges Yugi to duel the tape of him. As they duel, Yugi is surprised as Maxi reads his every move and he assumes that he's using some sort of as of yet unknown magic.

But really Maxi has just put subliminal messages in his tape that are manipulating his every move, which is really really cool but also really really insane. I wonder why I've never heard of this, because it was probably also in the anime.

I like the manga version of Yu-Gi-Oh! better because the duels don't seem like they'll last too long.

I also read more Im (Great Priest Imhotep). The first volume really caught me with it's daily adventures featuring Im and Hinome saving their local community from random Magai, but from the second volume on they introduce the Egyptian Priests organization that Im works for along with his dark backstory and best friend slash main villain.

It quickly went from "relaxing" to "very, very shounen" including Hinome being reduced to what was essentially a supporting character and the introduction of a bunch of shounen archetypes.

Also, the head priest guy who is obsessed with his own beauty is straight, which bothers me even though it would probably bother me a lot more if he were just a stereotypical gay character.

I just learned it ends with it's eleventh volume, which is reassuring because I'll probably be able to get to the end soon enough without having spent too much on manga I can only read on a single digital platform.

I've been reading a lot of manga lately, a lot of it thanks to digital manga, but I haven't gotten to the one series I've wanted to continue for a while; Makai Ouji -devils and realist-. Unfortunately, Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't available from either of the sources I use for digital manga (CDJapan and BOOK☆WALKER).
    wBayekQ.png

Well, this isn't good. It's deserved, but still not good.
  • edited 2018-10-04 14:15:20
    Summer 2018 Retrospective

Aikatsu Friends!: MEZASE! Tomodachi hyakumanin!

High Score Girl: I have so much love for this series. So much. I can't even explain it.

Free! -Dive to the Future-: The third season of the Free! franchise was plagued with issues familiar to anybody who watches otome game anime, but are much less common in sports anime. Even so, I couldn't help but love it.

Planet With: I dropped this, and I'm not even sad.

• New Isekai Quartet Anime Project Crosses Over Overlord, Re:Zero, Tanya, Konosuba Franchises

This is like, the most inevitable crossover, surely.
    What's Tanya?
    She's from Youjo Senki.

It does feel very much like "EVERYBODY... and Tanya".
    Instead of uploading their own version of the new Index opening, NBCU just linked to somebody's (presumably unauthorized) version in their Kurosaki Maon playlist.
    I finally bought a digital copy of Pick-Up voice. It was the February issue with Yoshino Hiroyuki on the cover. It had looooots of really nice hi-res pictures of him, but unfortunately Neowing reader disables Print Screen (which makes sense, obviously).

There was also live reports of Okamoto Nobuhiko, Nanjo Yoshino and Aoi Shouta with lots of cool pictures of everything and even the set lists of the shows, which was nice. Sugita also has a monthly column about... something or other.

Mostly, it reminded me how you will never ever run out of seiyuu pictures because seiyuu love being in pictures.

Sadly there was no Miyano and I don't think there will be any in other issues (there was a brief Nana photo-shoot though, because of course).

I also noticed when I was reading through the FAQ on CDJapan's site that the example reader features the first volume of Ousama Game (second in the bottom row).

NateWantsToBattle performed the English dub version of the new Beyblade Burst opening and it's pretty cool.
  • edited 2018-11-10 04:48:05
    FJ406vP.jpg

This year I have run into three magical girl things where this happens.
    ^^ That is some sweet singing.
  • vj7JBYG.jpg

Something's off about Jeanne here.

cAOr01a.jpg

I wonder what it could be.
    B*Project ~Zecchou Emotion~ will be by BN Pictures, which has a few things to it;
    • Why isn't the sequel going forward withwith an Aniplex studio considering they have like a bunch now?
    • Does this mean A-1 expected a new UtaPri (especially when they screwed up so bad with that and handed distro for the discs to KING RECORDS) and it super didn't work out?
    • Everybody who liked ~Koudou Ambitious~ will certainly have a conniption when they see BN Pictures' DoriFes level CG.

• I think I have to watch this now that I know what Boogiepop sounds like.
  • edited 2018-12-11 04:31:55
    Bakugan Battle Planet is set to premiere on Cartoon Network this December and I'm quite hyped.

Symphogear XV was delayed~

I don't mind though. There's nothing weirder than non-Summer Symphogear.