If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    (didn't read any of this because seriously guys)

Couldn't you just re-edit the page and make it a Final Fantasy specific example so at least it's there.

Meanwhile; You know what the worst thing is? Clicking on a new YouTube video and finding out it's actually just a premiere placeholder for a thing that airs in 34 hours.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm not gonna bother; last time I got into an argument with Naas over Wikipedia policy I almost ended up in an edit war with him. Besides, it's not even that critical of a piece of information...and there's TV Tropes anyway.

I think I get his point -- it's probably the idea of "if it isn't sourced, then how does anyone know it's true?". Though my reply to that would be "you can always throw a [citation needed] tag on it to indicate that that information is not properly sourced but just someone's postulated contribution, which may yet still be correct but we just don't know yet". But oh well.
  • Even if it's something well known among interested parties or even if it's borderline obvious, Wikipedia requires citations for it, not because the editors have reason to doubt, but for the readers' assurance.
    A weird amount of these edits seem strangely petty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Libya_(1977%E2%80%932011).svg#filehistory
  • It wasn't even obvious because it requires rather specific exposure. Going by the examples on TVT, that specific number might not even be very common.

And like, the whole idea of "people who only played games where this doesn't apply (of which there are many) aren't part of what I meant by 'everybody'" is way too close to the "if you aren't into [x] you aren't a real [whatever]" flavor of gatekeeping.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    It wasn't even obvious because it requires rather specific exposure. Going by the examples on TVT, that specific number might not even be very common.

And like, the whole idea of "people who only played games where this doesn't apply (of which there are many) aren't part of what I meant by 'everybody'" is way too close to the "if you aren't into [x] you aren't a real [whatever]" flavor of gatekeeping.

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on my use of "everybody", because as I mentioned that was basically a throwaway comment making use of "everybody", essentially as a shorthand for "everybody who has seen this before".

Regardless, this has nothing to do with "gatekeeping" -- if anything it's the opposite of gatekeeping, since as someone with information that other people may not have, I'm offering said information openly.
  • edited 2018-12-07 06:51:27
    You're not addressing that it seems "obvious" and "common" only to someone exposed to a specific set of games, and not games in general, and thus, it's not actually obvious.

In fact, the way you specifically worded in that edit is downright misleading since 9,999 might not even be ubiquitous in games that make use of straight nines as caps, so I can't say "offering information" is an accurate assessment.
  • edited 2018-12-07 07:36:59
    I'm not sure why you're so hung up on my use of "everybody", because as I mentioned that was basically a throwaway comment making use of "everybody", essentially as a shorthand for "everybody who has seen this before".

It's exclusionary language. It is literally saying that people whose experience don't fit a criteria (which is far from universal among people who play video games a lot because there are so damn many that don't do one thing or another) don't count. That's the kind of language used in gatekeeping.

And in case it's not clear enough: your entire basis for adding that without citation just falls apart if you have to admit that "everybody" isn't even close to actually meaning everybody.
    You're not addressing that it seems "obvious" and "common" only to someone exposed to a specific set of games, and not games in general, and thus, it's not actually obvious.

In fact, the way you specifically worded in that edit is downright misleading since 9,999 might not even be ubiquitous in games that make use of straight nines as caps, so I can't say "offering information" is an accurate assessment.
    Something that's obvious to someone with specialized expertise/experience is not necessarily going to be obvious to someone who doesn't have that expertise.

(I basically was on the other end of this experience recently -- someone pointed out that Epic, the company behind the Unreal Engine, is making a game-selling platform that might rival Steam, and I was like, "who?".)

It's exclusionary language. It is literally saying that people whose experience don't fit a criteria (which is far from universal among people who play video games a lot because there are so damn many that don't do one thing or another) don't count. That's the kind of language used in gatekeeping.

And in case it's not clear enough: your entire basis for adding that without citation just falls apart if you have to admit that "everybody" isn't even close to actually meaning everybody.
    You're trying to find offense by seeing this as "exclusionary language". I'm not sure why you're trying to do this. The phrasing of my comment is basically the same sort of usage as saying "everyone knows that magical girl anime have transformation sequences" or "everyone knows that the derivative of the natural exponential function is itself". Sure, you can say "well it's not obvious; people who don't watch anime wouldn't know that" or "well it's not obvious; people who haven't studied calculus wouldn't know that". No duh. But what's your point of pointing this out?

If you're going to say "your representation of this information is inaccurate, because it is only characteristic of some Squenix games", then we can have something relevant to talk about.

But that is apparently only your secondary contention at best; your main contention seems to be "you're implying that people who don't know this aren't real gamers, so therefore you shouldn't be posting about a 9999 damage cap on Wikipedia", to which my reply is "How is your accusation of my usage of meaning -- even if true -- at all relevant to what is essentially an impersonal fact that has nothing to do with me?".
  • edited 2018-12-11 17:12:17
    Guys, as an expert in argument over semantics I'd like to note that you two are arguing over where to draw an imaginary line between "obvious/unobvious" and "everybody/not-everybody" that you aren't going to agree about nor would it mean anything if you did.
    Today I got a spam message on Crunchyroll for an... "adult services" site.

You would think those sorts of messages would be directed at other sites because I'm guessing if you already use CR you proooobably know how to get to such sites yourself.

And like you'd think the policing system for CR would be much better considering there are probably a bunch of U18s with CR accounts (I thiiiiiink?).
  • edited 2018-12-12 04:09:21
    Gosh I wish there were a way to stop... Windows? My BIOS? from starting a repair on the disk drive. I just had one of these unprompted, and should there be another blackout while at it then it's probably RIP drive. A friend had his drive bricked like that recently, so I'd rather it not boot until I can make sure that won't happen. Though thankfully in my case the repair only took like five minutes and there was no blackout anyways.

I really need an UPS.
    As of Firefox version 64, Firefox no longer supports built-in Live Bookmarks

I think Firefox's current business model is "get rid of all the reasons people used us in the first place".
    and should there be another blackout while at it then it's probably RIP drive

I don't get why computer manufacturers don't understand that lots of people constantly face circumstances where it's not their choice that the power stays on or not.
    IJBM: "web 2.0" when there is no reason for the place after the decimal
    I have to type "ma" instead of "gm" to get to Gmail which is "mail dot google dot com" and not "gmail dot com" for some reason.

I mean, YouTube's not "tube dot google dot com"... yet.

I've been thinking a lot about a site like YouTube and how ubiquitous it feels to me, but the truth is it's probably not as specifically necessary as other forms of social media.

Videos can be hosted anywhere, and there's very little watching-user community*. I can't help but imagine how I'd feel in ten years after the monopoly comes down.

*The mobile app's recent updates have tried to build community type things but I'm pretty sure the community reacted with a giant "ehhhh".

Talking about YouTube videos seems to be a thing you do away from YouTube itself, and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.
  • ^^^ According to a fiend (the same one who had his disk bricked) turns out Windows 10 is actually good at not bricking it during repairs.

^ I remember it was annoying that before Youtube was ubiquitous if one was looking for a video there wasn't just one place to look for, though maybe it wouldn't be bad if Google's video search were any good.

Anyhows, I just updated Windows and now very often it freezes. Some parts of some programs stil work but the explorer, task manager etc. become unresponsive and I have to power it off. I *think* it only happens if I'm connected to the 'net.

Also I thought I had saved a security copy but apparently I hadn't.
    ^^^ According to a fiend (the same one who had his disk bricked) turns out Windows 10 is actually good at not bricking it during repairs.
    How go the relations with hell?
    though maybe it wouldn't be bad if Google's video search were any good.

Nowadays it just links to lots of YouTube videos. There are times when I've tried to find non-video information on something and like the first six pages of normal Google search results are just YouTube videos.
    youtube, stop auto-nexting me into clickbait videos I'd really rather not give viewcount to
    turn off autonext
    turn off autonext

it keeps coming back every time i return to youtube

though this is probably because i have killed its cookies
    Yeah that's probably it.

There should be some add-on/plugin/extension that can stop it.
    >update drivers
    Computer: I don't know what smartphones are!!
    >well, this should be easy enough; automatically fix drivers
    >erm... Browse my computer for software
    >Search for drivers in this location
    >AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    >Browse my computer for software
    >do it manually
    >select proper driver
    Computer: Oh yeah that's what smartphones are.

Goodness sakes Windows do you need to be this dumb?
    I'd mind Youtube less if it didn't just show me really blatant clickbait.

Ironically I wonder if letting it set cookies might help, because clickbait videos are all the rage these days and presumably the most popular.
    Social media as a whole is confusing because it prioritizes the algorithm over what you've curated. It won't show you all the new videos from channels you follow, or at least what fits on a home screen, but it will show you the most random selection of everything.

For example, I have no idea how twitter determines what from somebody's timeline I see instead of just showing me everything I follow by the time it was posted.
  • edited 2019-01-07 16:22:51
    Speaking of drivers, fuck everything.
    I still had the freezing problem, so I decided to rollback the update that seemed to have caused it, but now my keyboard won't work. I've tried several combinations of updating drivers, deleting them, restarting with and without keyboard plugged in, installing and uninstalling drivers from the manufacturer's website, disabling/uninstalling drawing tablet drivers, enabling some Windows Update hardware check, and deleting some upperfilter registry thing. That last one had the effect of making the error message on the device properties window go away (code 39 object name not found), but still doesn't work. And for some incomprehensible reason Windows doesn't find restore points, neither the one related to the update nor the one I made before the rollback.
    This is how life goes, you get around to fix one problem and ten more pile up, and so you're at a race against time where the best you can do is make your life worsen at a slower pace, knowing very well that you're running out of resources to even do just that.
  • edited 2019-01-07 20:37:54
    Alright, I fixed it. I manually recreated the registry entry (IIRC before I deleted it it was blank when it should have said 'kbdclass'). The instructions I followed said nothing about recreating it so I thought it was a wild guess but it worked.
    Anyhows, I must be more diligent in following the rule we all know very well for smooth computer usage; never update anything.
    By the by, after the update (but before the rollback) the problem with my GPU greatly improved, so much so that at first I thought those hiccups where what triggered freezes, as I didn't see any until after a good while. I guess it's a good signal that a big part of the problem is not hardware. The problem is back, but it's not that bad provided it doesn't get worse.
    Now, *hopefully* the freezing-often-when-connected problem is gone.
  • edited 2019-01-08 04:54:16
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    This morning I read a BBC article that's left me slightly paranoid about any possible hoarding of digital files. Like, I regularly purge even when it's probably detrimental but there are times when I'll have just a specific reason not to get rid of things.

Like, I rarely delete music from any of my hard-drives, even if I'm morally opposed to it (like Oozaki Hiroya's mini-album which is full of so much swearing I listened to about a minute of each song before giving up).

Also when I have a folder of 200 things and I have to whittle it down to 100 it can take literally forever (as in I'm not done yet even though I said I'd do it three months ago).
    I must be more diligent in following the rule we all know very well for smooth computer usage; never update anything.

Eyup.
    but it's not that bad provided it doesn't get worse.

I had a computer for the longest time where my strategy was this and it did actually work!... for a while (but like, a few years worth of while).

YouTube Chronicles Continued: I keep getting recs for lowkey (well, the internet screamy shouty version of lowkey) right-leaning content. Like, channels with Fox News in the "related channels" tab. I have no idea why except I guess I watch Big Think?
  • edited 2019-01-08 08:08:29
    The problem is back, but it's not that bad provided it doesn't get worse.

I spoke too early, just now I was met with a plain black screen rather than the login screen. Now, the cursor was visible and it and the screen were responsive so I could still log in and it's been working fine (and visibly) since.

I've been considering setting up a partition for Linux, but I'm worried I might mess up something again.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking that that sort of reluctance to fix things on my own, disassembling things, etc. has had an adverse effect on my engineering education.

@hoarding: I don't think I'm too bad at hoarding, but it's a problem that what I hoard (tutorial videos and 3DCG material) uses up a lot of memory so I run out of space quickly if I don't delete things I won't need later. But of course, I'll need all of it later.

Edit: How did I misspell "space" as "scape".
    lowkey right-leaning content

It was not lowkey, it was calm but scarily pervasive. I genuinely thought that leftist channels go too far in describing these things but that's not true at all, they are that bad.
    But of course, I'll need all of it later.

I've kind of just accepted that this will happen with things like work e-mails. At the risk of being irresponsible, I just depend on hoping the sender kept a copy they can resend if worst comes to worst <_<