If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• edited 2018-09-15 01:17:25
    On this (Spanish?) version of Android, on the miscellaneous storage manager, either the buttons's texts are switched up or whoever named them sucks at it. "Seleccionar todo" (select all) works as expected, but "borrar todo" (delete all) deletes your selection, i.e. deselects everything, and "quitar" (quit, of couse, but can also mean "remove" in other contexts) actually deletes the files you selected, with no warning, so if you did like I just did and pressed a bunch of stuff, including select all, but then gave up and tried to "quit", you delete everything.

I hope what I deleted wasn't important. Some apps whose names showed up in the list still work, so I'm guessing it deleted cache files or something (it didn't tell me what they were), but still.

Edit: on second thought, "quit" is not a good translation, but in this context it should mean basically the same thing.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    i.e. deselects everything

why is this a whole separate button
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    1. @GlennMHarvey:
    @GOGcom is that seriously the $35 Homeworld Remastered Collection in the $10 10th Anniversary Collection II: The Art of Aging Gracefully?

In case you're curious what this is: https://www.gog.com/game/collection_ii

Yes, it's a digitally-sold video game bundle.

2. Senior Care News
    @ValleyHCCA
    Healthcare and Lifestyle Information for Seniors, Elderly and their Caregivers

3. Senior Care News liked your reply
    4. Senior Care News followed you
  • edited 2018-10-07 19:33:16
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
  • Hardware, but: sometimes at Windows' login screen or right before it shows up, the screen becomes corrupted for a few seconds. Apparently this means my video card isn't going to live much longer. I guess I should be grateful it's lasted nearly a decade, although I'm really going to need a working computer for... everything. I may be able to get a friend to lend/sell me a video card, though.
    Hardware, but: sometimes at Windows' login screen or right before it shows up, the screen becomes corrupted for a few seconds. Apparently this means my video card isn't going to live much longer. I guess I should be grateful it's lasted nearly a decade, although I'm really going to need a working computer for... everything. I may be able to get a friend to lend/sell me a video card, though.

How easy is it to find compatible video cards for your computer?
  • edited 2018-10-08 04:41:56
    It's an AMD Radeon HD 5700 so... I dunno, but in general video cards are hard to get by here so I wouldn't expect it to be easy.

Edit: Also, the graphics card bus thing is PCI-Express 2.0 x8
    You know more about that than I do. lol

----

IJBM: Touchpads without physically separate buttons.
  • edited 2018-10-09 04:48:33
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    The mainline Galaxy phones have this annoying thing where the three main buttons on the screen (home, back and the one that shows you all your screens) are easily unstuck from the panel (you just have to click a side thing on the same panel) and so you have to flick up to see them. Obviously, this is usually misinterpreted as you wanting to zoom up whatever article you were reading and then having to find your place again.

Mobile Firefox in portrait mode has the tiniest space for actually being able to edit the address bar due to all the side buttons so you always end up going into reading mode instead of editing a URL.

Microsoft's latest major Windows 10 update went and ate some people's documents folder for no reason. That sure is terrifying.
  • I don't really understand graphics card all that well, for me historically they've been just numbers and I'm very lenient when it comes to video game graphics, though over time I've come to learn more about them due to their relevancy in 3DCG and computer science, but still, the practical aspects elude me.
    Search: "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them"

YouTube in 2010

Results:
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (Trailer)
    • [Star] talks about "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them"
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (2nd Trailer)
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them Original Soundtrack: [Some song]

YouTube in 2018

Results:
    • J.K.Rowling RUINING Wizarding World!!!
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them Trailer REACTION
    • VLOG: Going to see Fantastic Beasts for the FIRST TIME!!!*
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them THEORY EXPLAINED

*video actually just driving around and walking with camera in hand for like 15 minutes, then walking into a theater, then walking out and talking for five minutes
  • wait how was there a trailer like six years before the movie
    It's just an illustration because I have no idea what movies came out in 2010.
  • So my video card's situation got progressively worse, with the corruption right before the logging screen getting worse and worse and noticeable graphics/audio glitches on stuff, eventually it began puking its guts, constantly changing from not sending video signals, black screen and serviceable screen but with visible corruption on "Windows stuff" (desktop, logging screen, start menu and the ctrl+del screen), usually lasting about five minutes before the black/no-signal parts are common enough to make the computer unusable until rebooting. So I thought it was dead for good.

Next day I tried again and it's been working mostly fine since, way better than it's been since months, other than some unwarranted hiccups when loading audio/textures (much less common than before) and the occasional audio distortion that been there since reformatting (and may not have to do with the card), so yeah, it seems fine. I've been told that the fact that it can get better at random is a clue that what's wrong with it is that it's loose or dirty (rather than a corrupted bios or anything that can't be fixed easily).

Also in the middle of the night during one of these episodes of the GPU puking its guts, as the screen was unusable I accidentally made Cortana say some stuff, and when the screen came back up, the sudden distorted voice along with the corrupted screen was scary as hell.
    Search: "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them"

YouTube in 2010

Results:
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (Trailer)
    • [Star] talks about "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them"
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (2nd Trailer)
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them Original Soundtrack: [Some song]

YouTube in 2018

Results:
    • J.K.Rowling RUINING Wizarding World!!!
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them Trailer REACTION
    • VLOG: Going to see Fantastic Beasts for the FIRST TIME!!!*
    • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them THEORY EXPLAINED

*video actually just driving around and walking with camera in hand for like 15 minutes, then walking into a theater, then walking out and talking for five minutes

Y'know, I think this has more to do with the popularity of a thing. If you look for, say, a not-very-popular anime series, you'll find stuff like the first group. If you look for some sort of cult-hit thing with lots of potential for commentary (e.g. Undertale) on the other hand, you'll get a bunch of people who want to get in on the social trend for that commentary and/or want to share their thoughts on whatever.
    I understand what the algorithm prioritizes, but you'd think they would have it be a mix of the two considering most people aren't actually looking to watch a random person talk about the thing they're looking for instead of the thing they're looking for.
  • edited 2018-12-06 06:17:44
    https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=9999_(number)&oldid=prev&diff=872106328

oh fuck you, "no original research" "no posting stuff that someone else didn't already post elsewhere, unless you spend the time to dig it up on the internet, even if it's really damn obvious to the point where everyone just knows this and doesn't expend effort to specifically write about it" rule
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    To be fully honest they seem to be easily provoked by words such as "often", "common" and so on. Anyways that's no topic to start an edit war on, if they feel so strongly about it.
    A weird amount of these edits seem strangely petty.

But I guess Wikipedia has to have ridiculous standards or it'll go down the toilet because real life is all about extremes.
    even if it's really damn obvious to the point where everyone just knows this

There's this? It's a terrible source considering the primary point of the article but it exists.
  • edited 2018-12-06 13:35:23
    It's not obvious at all.

In fact I have never seen (by which I mean played myself or watched gameplay footage of) any game with damage count displays that max out at four digits.

Have you ever considered that you're just being myopic?
  • edited 2018-12-06 18:38:12
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    It's not obvious at all.

In fact I have never seen (by which I mean played myself or watched gameplay footage of) any game with damage count displays that max out at four digits.

Have you ever considered that you're just being myopic?

* the article that fourteenwings linked talks about this cap for the final fantasy series in general, which shows that 9999 cap is definitely a thing. some of the methods for exceeding the damage cap that are mentioned in that article are only available in remake versions of games.
    * https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2343/ for Final Fantasy IV damage, and also for HP: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/522596-final-fantasy-ii/67920325 (this doesn't mention paladin Cecil but that's because he already hits 9999 in regular gameplay)
    * https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/950181-chrono-trigger/53518091 for Chrono Trigger
    * https://www.mariowiki.com/Geno_Whirl and this video for Super Mario RPG
    * level cap in Disgaea: https://disgaea.fandom.com/wiki/Level

Frankly speaking, when you have a decimal digit display, it is fully logical to expect caps at numbers like 9, 99, 999, 9999, and so on. Three and four digits tend to be the most common numbers of digits used for things like HP and damage. Exceeding them either results in the damage being capped, or the number glitching out (meaning 9999 is the functional display cap), or the damage exceeding it anyway but the number having a display max.

Level is more typically capped at 99, just to make level ups feel more meaningful; Disgaea is the only game I know of that takes level up to 9999. (9 and 99 are common limits for item stacks in the inventory.)
  • edited 2018-12-06 18:44:09
    No number of specific examples would make it something "everybody knows". Every type of media is diverse enough that you can spend all your time in it for years without looking at any number of things. Seeing that these are all Japanese RPGs, you are most definitely overestimating the popularity of a niche you're invested in.

Video games also have extra considerations like whether or not you own a compatible device and the fact that skills in one type of game does not translate to another. Contrast to like, books or prose in general where compatible hardware isn't a concern, and you don't need to develop an entirely separate set of reading skills to go from one genre to another. Combined that with the sheer diversity, it's unreasonable to expect people who play one category (whether based on gameplay genre or just the particular device) of games to know any specifics about another.

Even in all my years of looking up games I haven't/can't play, I remember far more about story and lore than I do about mechanics.

And you know, you're completely disregarding the probably large demographic of people who don't play enough games of any category to notice anything allegedly common. Considering some of the more infamous timesinks, it's entirely possible to spend loads of time every day for years and years on only a small number of titles.
  • edited 2018-12-06 19:22:18
    Frankly speaking, when you have a decimal digit display, it is fully logical to expect caps at numbers like 9, 99, 999, 9999, and so on. Three and four digits tend to be the most common numbers of digits used for things like HP and damage. Exceeding them either results in the damage being capped, or the number glitching out (meaning 9999 is the functional display cap), or the damage exceeding it anyway but the number having a display max.

The article, and the example you provided was about the number 9999 specifically, not straight nines in general.

Level is more typically capped at 99, just to make level ups feel more meaningful; Disgaea is the only game I know of that takes level up to 9999. (9 and 99 are common limits for item stacks in the inventory.)

I'm not sure if this is actually all that common. Just randomly looking, Baldur's Gate had an XP cap that only let you reach like, 8, and the sequel with its expansion goes up to 40 (but lower for certain classes). WoW started out with a level cap of 60, but it's been raised at various times, usually at intervals of 10, and it's never been a number ending in 9.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You can add it's the highest four-digit number in base ten and give examples on how it matters in video games. Wikipedia likes it when you back your edits with references. Also, I think it may be a JRPG thing judging by your examples. Some quirk of programming? Culture? Synergy of the two?
  • edited 2018-12-06 20:58:44
    Not so much a quirk of programming or culture but just a quirk of display. If you are displaying decimal numbers, and have a limited number of digits, you've got a limited maximum value that you can display.

Six digit display = 999999 score cap.

9999 as an HP and damage cap may be specific to JRPGs (where HP counts in the thousands are both common and also actually displayed to the player), though in honesty sometimes that damage cap is pretty much never reachable in normal gameplay unless one specifically tries to exceed it (see that SMRPG video I posted earlier, where you can actually deal more than 9999 damage but you just end up glitching the display; in normal gameplay you won't be dealing more than several hundred damage at a time, unless you're absolutely godly with Mario's multi-jump abilities in which case you'd likely only make it to the four digits).

But this is basically just a subgroup of straight-nines as a display quirk in videogames (or more generally, any digit-limited display, but videogames are an application where programmers can and often do take advantage of the quirk to impose limits at these numbers).

^^^ This entire post is basically saying "I don't know this so it doesn't exist".
  • edited 2018-12-06 21:15:22
    I'm not saying that at all. You're literally ignoring that most people aren't exposed to the same things.

Am I not part of "everybody" just because my standards for what's "common" aren't the same as yours?

Unless you're defining "everybody" as "everybody who has comparable experience as me", which is a terrible standard for adding to a general reference site.
    Y'know I could actually go repost that on Wikipedia with this as my source: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Cap

(see section "Interface-Induced Cap")

But someone there will probably try to make a big stink about using TVT as a source.
  • edited 2018-12-06 21:12:34
    Please address that middle section I just added. Actually, all of that post.

And that page has plenty of examples that aren't straight nines. Plus, going ctrl F shows that most instances of "9,999" are parts of bigger numbers, not nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine specifically, which means they're not actually relevant to your Wikipedia edit.
  • edited 2018-12-06 21:41:23
    If I wasn't clear enough:

Your attempt at adding "9,999 is a common cap" on the article about that specific number (and not straight nines in general) without citation on the basis of "it's something everybody just knows" relies on a poor standard of "everybody". It might not even be all that common since (see second paragraph of my previous post).

Also, any premise of "everybody knows" is pretty awful since you will never literally mean "everybody", which makes it way too easy to abuse. I could claim say 150 (or any number) is a common number in Ancient Balinese Literature (or any obscure niche) on a basis that "everybody who's into this knows", and if they simply accept that I could outright make things up and have it stay on the article for years if I pick a topic that few people are likely to be able to tell it's wrong.

If you're going to suggest they simply not accept this reasoning when it's a niche enough subject, that's a terrible standard consideirng there's no solid way to define what is or isn't too obscure, since popularity is not static. The onus should be on the person making the statement to show that it's true, not on everyone else to be able to tell whether or not said person is BSing.
  • edited 2018-12-06 21:43:16
    Do you mean this post?
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    I'm not saying that at all. You're literally ignoring that most people aren't exposed to the same things.

Am I not part of "everybody" just because my standards for what's "common" aren't the same as yours?

Unless you're defining "everybody" as "everybody who has comparable experience as me", which is a terrible standard for adding to a general reference site.

Not everybody knows everything, of course.

The point is that people with different expertise/experience can offer their knowledge to those without it.

So of course someone who doesn't play videogames won't know about damage caps. But people who've played games generally know what a cap is in the sense of a limit on a numerical quantity, and those people who've played the relevant games have seen it.

So basically, I'm sorry when I said "everyone" in my first post about this I didn't specifically qualify this to "anyone who's played [a list of videogames where such a cap exists one way or another]" because I was just making an offhand comment as opposed to writing up a formal line of reasoning detailing the specific basis for my opinion.