If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2018-11-12 14:35:07
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Cool.

I have been studying way too much (I've already run through 3 pens on practice case studies) so all I have is my thoughts:
    Okay so... swiss cheese theory means mosquitoes breeding in swamps made of swiss cheese*.

[in answering a question] Is there a way to answer this without coming off as very, very callous?

*The only place where I could find the same analogy is this medical paper but it's what was used in my textbooks.

I just learned Lancome is marketing La vie est Belle as an 'iconic' fragrance, which feels ridiculous for something so young that it's only been around as long as I've been paying closer attention to fashion things (like, six years?).

Actual review of this perfume I found online:
    But soon you start on that rollercoaster of notes and you somehow know the fun is over. La Vie has turned into Vera Wang’s Princess* on Molly....this fragrance is a big glittery Easter Basket filled to the brim with sweet tarts surrounded by Hershey kisses, it’s walking into the Mall on Black Friday, twinkling lights and cocoa everywhere but suddenly being stampeded by the crowd, it’s a big platter of yummy brownies that someone tells you are laced with cannabis after you’ve already eaten three of them. [...] Waking up from the best dream ever only to realize you are sick, dehydrated, and hung over.

*I used to love the ad for Pink Princess so much that I actually cut it out of a magazine and stuck it on my wall right next to all the embarrassing anime posters.
  • edited 2018-11-12 14:34:57
    I'm back on the 'net. Apparently the monthly allowance resets later than I was told. Gee...

Also, software that updates without your permission is infuriating.

^ I once studied so hard I literally puked.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Welcome back~

Updates in general love to be the worst.
    I once studied so hard I literally puked.
    I will try not to get to that stage but I'm already deep into "every moment I'm not studying makes me feel like a giant slacker".
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Why there is one strangely-tall county in northern Iowa.

https://www.howderfamily.com/blog/kossuth-county/
    https://whotv.com/2015/11/24/what-ever-happened-to-iowas-100th-county/

also, welcome back Stormtroper~
  • edited 2018-11-13 12:30:53
    Heavily paraphrased:
    Is it a bribe? It's totally a bribe. It's unethical to [pay bribes].

But, actually, if you 'investigate' a bit more, you might find that such payments are 'perfectly normal' in practice. Especially if it means generating more profits.

[...]

Though if it is perceived as a bribe by the general public, it could hurt the public image of the organization.

I don't think my business ethics textbook has it's priorities right when it comes to ethics.

Also I found out today that every take-out place not McDonalds or KFC here is literally the same place.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You make me wonder if "business ethics" has become an euphemism for "supervillain 101" at some point in time when I let my guard down for a while.
  • Stan Lee has passed away.

^^ And here I was thinking about the fact we only had one class worth of engineering ethics.

Also, I finally managed to get into my ISP account and turns out I have only 5GB worth of internetting per month.
    I don't know how to feel about Stan Lee's passing on a nerd level. Obviously he guy did great things (the greatest in modern blockbuster entertainment, possibly), but the only thing by him I've ever seen and really, really liked was Heroman (which nobody remembers anyway).
    one class worth of engineering ethics.

Business ethics is a ridiculous amount of work. Almost all of which is "If there's profit to be made we will find a way to make it ethical."

Today's Spoils:
    The contract between between the multinational and the local client should make it clear that the client should undertake any 'local administrative measures' necessary (ie. bribes) for the importing and acceptance of goods.

Also the book keeps saying "bribery is illegal in most jurisdictions" which like, I get, but it certainly sounds like "Sometimes bribery isn't even illegal!"

The strongest words it has against lobbying is that it is 'inappropriate', and that was only if we were talking about volatile foreign governments that might get uprooted by a coup or something so you don't get caught in the crossfire.
  • edited 2018-11-17 18:52:31
    I like checking the ArmoredWomen subreddit every once in a while to see how far back I have to go until Joan of Arc shows up.

The most recent one right now seems to be this on page 2 and from like 8 days ago.

I'm not sure where this ranks as far as "overly specific interests" go.
    TIL there exists an /r/ArmoredWomen
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I'm not sure either, but I approve.
  • I guess you haven't heard of /r/Penguincel either, or for unironically weird ones, /r/DogFree, /r/Hapa or /r/AerodynamicCow (sp?)
    I signed up for Netflix the other day and there are so many things but all I've managed to sit through is half an episode of Elite. There are lots of options, but it reminded me why I'm not glued in front of my TV 24/7 watching everything, except worse because I could only find one genuinely interesting show.

Speaking of Elite. I liked the concept, then I discovered it was a murder show upon which I knew they'd hold the murder till the end of season 1 so that they could pull a "you have to renew us now!" type deal. As I watched it I went from liking it, thinking it was pretty okay, being confused, and then I just bailed because no matter how likeable Christian's actor is the whole show is basically a kind of annoying version of better teen dramas.

I'll stay subscribed but if I don't use it for three months I'll quit.
    ^^ tell me more about penguincel please.
  • edited 2018-11-18 12:26:21
    Let's not

Actually I do want to know why this is a thing. The dog one sort of makes sense (blowing off steam presumably and not like physically wanting to go out and murder all the dogs) but the rest are weird as heck.
  • ^^ tell me more about penguincel please.

You can see for yourself, but tl;dr: memeing about Grape-kun, the real-life penguin with a waifu.
    I've always thought the weirdest reddit was the one where people rated the attractiveness of dead bodies from real life crime scenes, and they were almost always male.

It's probably gone now but it totally existed for some reason.
    Fun fact: until you have published some scientific papers, you have no idea you actually can receive e-mails from folks claiming to be Nigerian professors who just happen to be on the brink of publishing their breakthrough research and will gladly credit you as the co-author if you happen to pay the editorial fee for them.
  • edited 2018-11-21 01:55:01
    ^^ Hadn't heard of that one, probably for the better.

^ I take it, you published your first paper recently? If so, grats!

Also, forgot to post about this. I began working through The Elements of Computer Systems aka Nand2Tetris (tl;dr: build a (simulated) computer working up starting from nothing but Nand gates and ending with an operating system), it's doing a lot for me demystifying how computers actually work, something I've wanted to since little. I'm currently at the part I build the CPU, it's gotten quite hard but I'll keep at it, though I'm currently doing other stuff instead.

Also I wish I could watch videos, books/text pages are getting tiresome.
  • edited 2018-11-23 17:39:54
    Dolce & Gabbana have been booted from Chinese websites (amongst other things) for their "It's time for Domenico and Stefano do to something dumb this year" ad campaign where a model can't eat spaghetti with chopsticks because if there's one thing you can't eat with chopsticks it's noodle type things. She also tries to eat pizza with chopsticks because in China you cannot ever ever eat with your hands ever.

Also either Stefano's instagram was "hacked" or he was trying to do the thing from a few years ago where they were like "kids need moms which means literally all gay men and single dads deserve no families cause I say so" except this is World of Angry twitter now.

I mean like it's racist but everybody has sort of just forgotten about the time Gucci went to Japan in 2016 and assumed it was still 1970?

Naas wow this is like the
    Naas [intensifies] meme
    Opinion: The best way to deal with angry twitter is to pretend it does not exist.
    Tell that to the news media.

Gotta drive that engagement, after all.
    On behalf of the Editorial Board of the journal, it is glorified for us to invite you to join us as one of the editorial board members/reviewers

Guys, I'm flattered, but -
    In view of your academic background

Aw c'mon, it's not like it was MIT -
    and rich experience in this field

I'm b-but a simple researcher, that's all -
    we believe that you must be the most suitable candidate for this position.

Stop it guys, I'm blushing!~~
    We believe that your position as the editorial board member or reviewer will promote international academic communications.

STOP IT B-BAKA~~

----

Spoiler:
    Yeah, it looks like this. You can guess I'm pretty certain I'm not THAT good.
  • edited 2018-11-25 16:40:41
    Well, at least it was nice while it lasted.

I've been thinking about how my writing will (probably? hopefully?) get better and how I'll look back at what I've written so far and be like "What is wrong with you 14w? Why did you ever think these were words?"

But like, at least I'll be good then and so I won't care too much.

I don't know if Marvel Rising came out on purpose or nobody noticed that Action Dolls Were Not Selling and Marvel were like "yeah, let's do this". Like this isn't a personal thing, because even though I do prefer really dainty princess dolls I thought this stuff would do super well because millennial moms would go for it but they did not.

Like I don't know the specifics of Star Wars Forces of Destiny but everyone I hear talking about it says it did Really Badly.

I mean it probably doesn't help that a lot of these Marvel Rising dolls are basically Harley Quinn doll from the DC Super Hero Girls in that they have molded on tops or painted on clothing which means you can't change their outfits.

Actually though one line of "action dolls" that is doing really well is the WWE dolls, but that's probably because they're just regular fashion dolls with muscles (paging GMH). They still wear dresses and look super fashionable in what they wear otherwise...

And also they are WWE merchandise which basically turns whatever product is being sold into gold.
  • edited 2018-11-28 21:36:33
    Two days ago at about 5:00 am some cable thieves were trying to steal some cables at the post in front of us, we scared them off (well, I wasn't there, but you get the idea).

On the plus side, holy shit I have real internet now what the fuck guys. Granted, it wasn't cheap, but my family had the opportunity to get the job done by the company's technicians and they seized it. Also landline phone.

brb downloading the internet, it's like building a survivalist bunker but instead of hoarding food and candles you fill your disk drive with things.

(I'm actually of two minds about it, paying someone to do their job kind of sounds a lot like abetting corruption, though I can not deny I'm relieved).

Also I'm going to have to keep watch at night over that post (though of course I can't help it if thieves steal connected cables away from home).
    Are you data-limited or can you do unlimited downloads?
    Glad it worked out.

Usually I would post about a dream in the dreams thread but this was sort of different. Unlike any 'real' dream, I dreamed that I was sitting at my computer some time before December 1st and browsing the new Bakugan website, which had been unveiled early.

I think I've mentioned before how much I love Bakugan, and I'm really excited for this reboot. I just hope the toys get here before Q2 2019 which is the official delivery date. Spin Master has said similar things about previous lines but they're almost always in stock at the places I get stuff least a month after America gets them. The American delivery date is Q1 2019.
  • edited 2018-11-30 13:31:04
    I don't know if this phrase is as common as it once was, but I've come to loathe the term 'dog-eared book' because all of my current textbooks and reference books now look like I artificially aged them in some sort of film production grade time machine but the truth is just that I've been handling them over and over every day for the last six or so weeks.

Also I didn't know twitter had ads. They are possibly even worse than YouTube ads.
  • I think I've been taking good care of my books. Most weren't new, but the two I bought new ages ago still look plain white with straightened out pages (though it helps that I didn't bring it to class often). Those straightened pages are satisfying to look at, so I'm wary of how I turn pages. Also I never write anything on them, and it hurts when I accidentally rip a bit of a page.

Anyhows, speaking of Reddit, even though I can revisit it now I don't think I will, I'll make use of the fact one of the subreddits I visited had a meltdown to let go of it, it's a nice timewaster but, well, it wastes time.

Also I'm stuck again watching over a relative's home.