If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A thread about architecture, buildings, and interior design

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Consider:

A town where there's a diner that's open 24/7, operated by a co-op of local residents, who also take turns working there, basically the whole town's hangout spot, and located at the top of the hill, so that it looks upon the entire town, in all directions, and also sees both the rising sun and setting sun.
  • edited 2017-11-06 05:23:48
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Lately I've been interested in interior design and overall aesthetics, and I even bought a book showcasing lots of minimalist style. I've just been thinking about all the aesthetics I'd like to incorporate into a space, but also just aesthetics I like in general.

I don't know if I'm exactly opposed to sculpture, but I'm not really a fan of how it draws the eye so much either. That leaves me with prints on the walls. I like prints better than paintings, because I know nothing about art and I won't pretend to learn for the purposes of decorating because that's very poseur.

I'm a big believer in faux tropical style; so like... flip flops (duh) and like overly bright prints of palm tree and banana leaves, maybe a few stark faux California surfer style signposts (examples would be 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ).

The reason I say "faux" is because I would still like the rest of the space to be starkly minimalist. As much as I love these aesthetics, I'd die if I had to live in a "warm" "cozy" space dominated by dreamcatchers and blankets thrown over everything.

Another aesthetic I like a lot is "This is totally not anime" art. I love anime, but like... I don't generally enjoy having stark (oh this word) artwork blown up and framed. Not only does it feel kind of "HEY LOOK AT ME" but it also feels like you're cheapening it somehow? But if you can get a logo like the one on this shirt blown up and printed, that's both clever and weird and stylish. Similarly, this jacket cover or this ED visual.
  • edited 2017-11-05 19:11:23
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I posted something last night on MAL with regards to how I'd decorate my place if I had to make it anime-themed.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1680141&show=100#msg52922018

Anyway I think that third picture you posted is something I might hang on a wall, if it didn't have text and if I actually knew what it was from and was attached to it.

The "pied piper" logo, on the other hand, comes with Engrish text, which I don't really like and I'd rather not put on something. The symbol itself is okay though I guess.

The "Fantastic Ocean" thing looks more along the lines of an album cover or movie poster sort of thing.
  • re: that thread

What level of weeb is "buys Japanese figures of Western media characters because Hasbro is terrible with paint schemes"?
  • edited 2017-11-05 20:24:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    re: that thread

What level of weeb is "buys Japanese figures of Western media characters because Hasbro is terrible with paint schemes"?

5+2i
  • edited 2017-11-06 05:27:21
    comes with Engrish text, which I don't really like

I have a fondness for weird clothing with Engrish text on it. It's probably why I screencapped almost every shirt ever worn in Kamen Rider Build and why Lucky from ToQGer didn't annoy me as much as he did most people.
    I find that it's easy for me to find pictures of real-life libraries (of course) that look modern or ornately fancy, and also of libraries in fantasy settings that are clearly overwrought with fancy magical-looking effects or looking really gothic or baroque.

But I wonder, are there pictures of libraries with fantasy stylings but also a sense of modernism? Without being grunge, run-down, overgrown, ruins, etc.. Like, a functional modern-looking library in a fantasy setting with magic?
  • edited 2017-12-05 09:53:36
    Just bring a LARP group and a camera to a real life library.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm not a gigantic fan of the whole "McMansion"-ing thing. I know there was a lot of building done very randomly in the US when the economy was "booming" pre-2008 but I feel like that's true of all eras in all time but now we look back and call that purposeful architecture.

It starts to feel like it's just a way for professionals to moan about how terrible everyday people are and it's hurtful because it's about things as personal as people's homes.
  • I can't help but feel that I'm watching an unironic, household version of the "2/10 would not bang" meme.
    I don't fully agree with it but it was funny anyway.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    These houses remind me of some weirder cases we've had in here. You can google for "janusze architektury" if you are curious, although not all of the finds will be from Poland.

One of the local architectural fads were the reinforced corners (visible for example in this photo). It's a typical structural element in old-timey buildings (like, over 400 years old-timey) and seem to have been inspired by Romanesque architecture, of all things. Back then they were used to strengthen the building, now they're often made of styrofoam covered with plaster and tacked onto an already finished building.
    That is some beautiful irony.
  • Why is it even a question when there's Utena

I am so glad someone said this.
    $600/mo apartment in NYC

$600/mo apartment in HK
    Meanwhile, someone suggests this:

@lrdgck - #8 is meanwhile in Poland, but in a different way
  • edited 2018-05-10 11:55:48
    $600/mo apartment in NYC

The first time I saw this all I could think was "oh no GMH has become one of those people who watches room tour videos".

This is sort of funny but actually oh wow real estate inflation. I've always thought minimalist living was a virtuous extreme, but this has seriously made me reconsider that.

"You know, people are always asking for a combination toilet-shower."
    I like room tour videos except for those that basically are showing off how one decorated the room and nothing else. I'm most interested in the layout and usage of the room.

Also, combination sink+toilet makes a lot of sense. Haven't thought too much about combination toilet+shower yet.
    I like room tour videos except for those that basically are showing off how one decorated the room and nothing else.

Considering the personality market that social media is, isn't that most of them?
    combination sink+toilet makes a lot of sense

I'm still not comfortable with it.
  • edited 2018-05-26 17:00:15
    I think I've seen too many claustrophobic New York settings on Gossip Girl because this absurd fitting and it's overall styling actually appeal to me.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    /me changes thread title because it's boring when it's only me talking
    lrdgck wrote: »

I'd totally watch an anime set in this place.
    I'd totally play a game session at this place. (As a player or as a character.)