If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• 54UdXB5.jpg

hey look, symphogear
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Thanks to someone who posted a jazz version of this song on MAL as a response to a spambot thread, I checked out Aikatsu's "Fashion Check".

Holy crap, this is VERY fourteenwings, for lack of a better term.
  • edited 2017-12-04 09:43:28
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Funny enough today I've been obsessed with Pretty Pretty, which is basically the Akari Generation version of this song.

I really do like songs in this style with this theme (Move on now!, from the first season of Aikatsu!, Mieru Mieru, also from Aikatsu! Akari Generation, Lovely Girls Anthem by Aso Natsuko, and so on). Plus fashion check! specifically has that European faux-bossa-nova/elevator music vibe which I love.

Also I totally forgot that jazz doujin album was happening.
  • Holy crap, this is VERY fourteenwings, for lack of a better term.

So what would be a very Naas song?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    A song by Minase Inori, Iguchi Yuka and Y.Aoi about how much everybody wants to punch all of Minase's characters (including Minase herself).

The instrumentation would need to be KOKIA meets Seventh Sisters.
  • edited 2017-12-07 03:13:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    so i just watched that one scene in one recent pokémon movie where pikachu

i don't get why people are outraged

i found it to be pretty endearing and i now wish i wasn't spoiled on it because it seems it has serious potential to be a real tear-jerker
  • edited 2017-12-07 05:09:58
    Something that fourteenwings probably already knows about but will probably delight him anyway: I just discovered this.

And yes, those are tears on my cheek.

Eureka Seven is interesting in that it is a glorious and deeply emotional story, yet one that I can't really take out of its context and relate to something else, which is why I so rarely talk about it. But when it just unexpectedly breaks back into my life, it's like being transported back to that magical experience of that story, that adventure, that life-changing experience.

I actually got shown this song because I watched GlassReflection's review of Eureka Seven. I saw footage I thought I hadn't seen before, so I was a little confused at times, but then I heard a song I'd definitely never heard before, yet it was a glorious song, so I searched this and found it. And it is indeed glorious.

Incidentally, that review said that Eureka Seven was "flawed" yet something that people liked because of its flaws. While I can agree that some of the mentioned flaws are flaws (e.g. the soccer episode, which occupies a similar "unplace" of unfittingness as the first half of Strain's 7th episode), it seems to regard various plot things as happening or being revealed poorly. Yet...perhaps I would be inclined to agree that some of the "flaws" are part of what I appreciate about the story, such as the imperfections of the decisions that the characters make.

But...and this is a thing one realizes on taking a step back...does that mean it's still fair to call them "flaws"? Alternatively, does it mean that the best stories are not ones that are "perfect"?

And this is why I think that it makes the most sense to take the events of a story as they come, and understand them, and appreciate it on their terms (or at least what one perceives to be their terms). Because then it feels real, and real life itself is never perfect...yet it's the imperfections that bring more meaning into our lives.
    Pokémon aren't supposed to talk unless they're super legendary magic types, so it breaks immersion or something.

But can you really be mad at a Pikachu talking?
  • edited 2017-12-07 05:12:32
    I wonder if I actually managed to ninja you while posting about Eureka Seven. And editing the post.

FWIW "Rainbow" is in the same key -- F major.
  • edited 2017-12-07 06:05:05
    Yeah you did.

Oh my gosh did I really never post Glory Days here?

There's actually some cool background on the artist; Oozaki Hiroya. His father was a super famous musician who died in a ridiculously tragic manner and bones approached him because he could probably relate to Renton. It really did work out.
    those are tears on my cheek.

Yeah I cry every time I watch it too.
    does it mean that the best stories are not ones that are "perfect"

I think real perfection would probably make for a very boring story. or one that was too concerned with it's own internal logic.
  • (Please refer to "Kino's Journey - The Beautiful World-" Volumes 20~134: 'The Space Arc - Chapter of Travels', 'Stock Market Arc -Trap', 'Stock Market Arc - Revenge', and 'The Space Arc Part 2 - Into the Sea of Stars')

This is some bizarre long-term planning.
  • edited 2017-12-11 07:17:49
    "You learn to force yourself to sleep. Who knows when you'll get the chance again."
    - Frolaytia Capistrano
  • edited 2017-12-11 13:59:30
    She turned the pouch upside-down and opened the cover.

Clang!

The sound of metal hitting metal echoed through the hallway. Out of the pouch barely big enough to fit in two packs of cigarettes came firearms. Handguns, rifles, machine guns, shotguns, sniper rifles, and others. Guns piled onto the floor in front of Kino.

"Wouldn't have expected any less from grandma!"

Kino's eyes shone brightly. She remembered that at grandma's house back in the countryside, there were all kinds of firearms from all over the world stashed away in storage. She also recalled sunset country roads, when she was often carried on her grandmother's back as a child.

Apparently Kino's grandmother is a Chiwa character.
    Throughout the first episodes of Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau, it created a small but detailed and lived-in world. You could describe some of the characters as being shallow set-up, but it didn't take away from the full and vivid sense of the overall set up.

All of this still managed to center on our main character Chakuro, as he watched Lykos deal with emotions for the first time and held his tongue at the brazed and often misguided Ouni. We went through events such as Lady Taisha's demise and the first invasion of the Mud Whale, to the insane elders trying to take everyone down with events continuing to circle around him and his decisions.

As of late, the show has kind of lost that guiding light. The use of the Nous' power to communicate not only with the dead, but the ethereal, had potential early on. However, it brings me to a particular complaint about one of the only sequences that involves Chakuro and Lykos as of late being overtaken by swathes and swathes of basically irrelevant imagery as the Nous Skylos tries to sway them to rebuild it.

There's also a sequence involving Ouni as he communicates with his recently deceased friend through the Nous that's overlong. Not ever so slightly, but genuinely just too long. It dwells on J.C.Staff's sudden ability to actually conceptualize outside of the confines of their usual SF "reality" (Though I do understand they once made Penguindrum, but it's been a while) for so long that it's hard not to have your rational mind start questioning the absurdity of Nebi's head slowly disappearing under the sand-dunes that are now also sky-dunes.

Back to my main concern; the world that the show has managed to build so far has becomes so vast that we only see a bit of Chakuro as the events elsewhere take on more gravity and time, as they actually get closure. It's almost against the very theme of the show that Chakuro isn't there at almost every single major event so far that involved somebody getting closure (whether through death or otherwise). I understand that taking down the Nous Skylos is a big deal, but about ten minutes worth of episode was split over four episodes whilst more important events filled with real dramatic tension took place.

A more personal concern is that since Chakuro has lost his footing as the boy who records all that goes on on the Mud Whale, Ouni's status as a Genuine Bonafine Daemonus kind of imbdues him with a role more befitting the main character of a work. In this case, I understand that this just might be my bias.
    Heavy Object's ED2 keeps making me think of Plastic Memories's ED.
  • "If I don't defeat that demon, I won't be able to eat my curry udon!"

of course this happens
  • edited 2017-12-19 20:16:05
    Getting meta here.

a video about how a series of videos from a single well-regarded youtube commentator caused a major shift in fandom opinion of a famous anime series
    TL;DR:
    1. opinion on SAO was basically mildly positive before Digibro got to it
    2. generally speaking, opinions seemed to follow the pattern that if a person got invested in it, they'd be able to overlook it's "flaws" and overall enjoy the ride.
    3. enter Digibro, who didn't enjoy it and actually did in fact drop it early on (within 7 episodes), but later completed it, with some goading from his fans, just to find out what it was like, and then decided to make a video complaining about it in detail.
    4. then, there was a combination of people "realizing" that it was "bad" and a general social acceptability to speak negatively of it.

This, combined with a hype backlash, was probably the direct cause of the drop in fandom opinion.

Sudden realization: Late last night I was apparently groggy enough that I mistakenly couldn't tell the difference between Digibro's flaming SAO which was apparently just one long video with Digibro's flaming The Asterisk War which was like 10 videos. I was looking for the latter but conflated it with the former and then ended up finding a meta-commentary about the former and ran with that.
    The only thing I know about Sword Art Online is that the internet reeeeeaaaaaally wants me to hate it.
    I kinda want to join the anti-hatedom, except I watched the first episode of SAO and fell out of love with it (read: dropped it) in just the first episode.
  • I've seen plenty of people saying very negative things about Sword Art Online even before the anime came out.
  • edited 2017-12-19 21:45:37
    There was one video where Digibro pointed out in the comments that the relation wasn't really there since his SAO review(s) didn't immediately get that many views.

edit: it was the "Mathematically proving" one from the same guy.
  • wjtBqWd.jpg

I can't believe jokes about Tuxedo Mask are still in.

Or maybe it's not surprising at all.
  • edited 2017-12-20 06:47:03
    Didn't Fantasista Doll and old Twin Angel actually have a tuxedo mask?
  • edited 2017-12-20 06:47:42
    That guy was in Twin Angel Break too if I recall correctly.
  • GGm4vvm.jpg

The weirdest thing is how the blue one's weapon looks like an upsized kitchen knife.
    Blue one looks like a strange combination of Precure stylings and that one Me!Me!Me! girl.
  • edited 2017-12-20 08:09:11
    The weirdest thing is how the blue one's weapon looks like an upsized kitchen knife.

It's not...?
    fourteenwings If I could have one thing this year it would be for my enthusiasm for Infini-T Force to comeback
    fourteenwings I mean like I know Kujira has kind of just been the sort of show that was like good and then it starts making really ? decisions but Infini-T Force was like this insidious creep of an interesting show becoming something that's not
  • edited 2017-12-28 09:19:50
    14w Anime Retrospective

As you all know, I love a good list, so here's one that sort of captures all of my various seasonal and general lists.

-Shows From 2017 I Loved-

Eureka Seven AO Final Epiosde : One More Time [Lord Don't Slow Me Down]
    Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau
    Tales of Zestiria the X
    ACCA : 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
    DREAM FESTIVAL! R
    Fukumenkei Noise

-Shows I Remember Fondly-

Princess Principal
    DIVE!!
    ID=0
    Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE! LOVE (special)
    Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru (pre-emptive, but I like it way more than the first series
    Infini-T Force

-Shows I Enjoyed More In Retrospect-

Hina Logi ~from Luck & Logic~
    Kemono Friends

-Shows From Earlier Years I Loved-

Black Rock Shooter
    Shuumatsu no Izetta
    Brave Beats
    DRAMAtical Murder

-Shows That 180d Into Why Towards The End So Hard That I Just Couldn't-

Seikaisuru Kado

-Shows That 180d Into Why Towards The End So Hard That I Was Just (-_-)-
    THE KING OF FIGHTERS : DESTINY
    Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ

-Shows I Regret Not Watching-

Shoukoku no Altair
    MARGINAL#4 : KISS kara Tsukuru Big Bang
    Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Shou
    Alice to Zouroku
    Frame Arms Girl
    RoboMasters the Animated Series
    Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart

-Shows I Watched Too Much Of-

Ousama Game The Animation (Past episode 3)
    Re:CREATORS (anything past episode 1)
    Hitorijime My Hero (Whenever one main guy started being a creep around mid-episode 2)
    DYNAMIC CHORD (episode 4)

-Shortlist (In order of how much I enjoyed each)-
    Piace! Watashi no Italian
    Ikemen Sengoku : Toki wo Kakeru ga Koi wa Hajimaranai
    Taishou Mebiusline : Chicchai-san
    Sekai no Yami Zukan
    Room Mate
    Ame-con!!
    Nyanko Days
    Henkei Shojo

-Why SE Why-

Dia Horizon (RIP forever my hope and dreams for an adaptation)
  • edited 2017-12-20 17:24:42
    I don't remember what I watched this year lol.

Going by http://graph.anime.plus/GlennMagusHarvey/history,anime
    I seem to have finished the following series this year:
    * Absolute Duo
    * Tales of Zestiria the X (first season)
    * Cross Ange
    * ViVid Strike!
    * Plastic Memories
    * Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA
    * Frame Arms Girl
    * Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor
    * Planetarian: Reverie for a Little Planet
    * Wonder Momo (a mostly forgettable series of shorts)
    * Heavy Object
    additionally I think I've finished the following things:
    * Elsword Ain special (a negligible short)
    * Ragnastrike Angels (maybe, not sure, and it's just a series of half-minute shorts anyway)
    * Problem Children Are Coming Into This World, Aren't They? (either end of last year, or this year; completion date not recorded but I know I was watching it around Christmas 2016)
    I hate to say this, but I think I gave Infini-T Force's plot more credit than it deserved early on before I'd watched it play out. At this point I think I would genuinely rather have quit at episode 6, but I was so excited after episode 6 that I couldn't even think of the many things that could (and did) go wrong.

I mean, there's probably a reason why "Dad doesn't want his daughter to grow up" is usually relegated to a one-shot episode plot.

There's also stuff I couldn't see coming; like Ken/Gatchaman's sudden backstory reveal that was met with zero pomp or circumstance and genuinely made me feel for the first time like the show was telling me "You've finished the original Gatchaman right?").

In addition, the pretty visuals that I was stunned by in almost every episode... that were traded for black nothingness and a grey city for two episodes in a row.