If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > DEAREST DROP by Azusa Tadokoro - SukaSuka OP

I just ran across this randomly in a YT video and I'm wondering, are people like, trying to imitate a style I have in the past associated with Nana Mizuki, or is my perspective just too limited?
  • I have a hunch that both might be true to some extent.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Tadokoro is not specifically a Mizuki imitator, but I know that Elements Garden tend to turn their "muses" into very similar artists (for instance, Miyano, Hatano and Aoi (Shouta) all have singles that go "Serious Song">"Why is this Dance Track on Here">"Happy Jazz Type Thing").

I think the most common two types of anison by a female artists will be "swelling orchestras" or "trying to be charason". If somebody's album suddenly has a like... Burnt Red type song, I will definitely think they're trying to be a bit like Nana (though Burnt Red is a Harada Hitomi song and she's not an Elements Garden muse either, neither is Tadokoro, almost all of the people who work with them are KING RECORDS).

Music aside, I've been wanting to find out what you thought of Frame Arms Girl, @GMH, as the only person around here who actually finished it.

I finally watched the first episode of DRAMAtical Murder, and I'm going to pull a GMH and say I really liked it and then put it on hold forever.
  • edited 2017-10-14 16:05:00
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    even though Aria is not cut out for this high-speed Aikatsu world.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That is Yume, next to Aria, on the cover that represents the entire second half of this season.
    Oh, so it's not so much Nana Mizuki I'm hearing but rather Elements Garden?
  • edited 2017-10-15 08:20:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also all I can really say about Frame Arms Girl right now is that it was interesting enough for keep to keep watching it. It was kinda fun. Yes, the product placement was obvious, but somehow that didn't bother me. If anything the Materia sisters' personality/attitude bothered me more, and then there's Jinrai's insistence on being a...Japanese history otaku? I guess, which got annoying at times. Also the glaringly obvious pantyshot-generating character designs, but if I cared enough about that then I'd have dropped the show within the first episode.

But in general I guess it was entertaining/amusing enough to keep watching. It has a generally good sense of comedic timing. And I like Gourai's personality. Too bad she didn't become the deadpan trickster like the TVT articles suggested (that might have applied to the manga instead or whatever), but she's still lovable.
    Oh, so it's not so much Nana Mizuki I'm hearing but rather Elements Garden?

Pretty much, though the Ame-con!! OP was produced by them and that baffles me production-wise.

Anyways, watching episode 2 of Code:Realize, I kind of really settled in and was enjoying it a lot. Not so much because of Cardia herself (Hayami is using this ridiculous "Snow White but really soft spoken" voice for her right now) but because the other characters are just so fun and lively.
    The Fire Girl fan-translation into English, while an admirable effort, is not very good. It is presumably very (too) close to the original Japanese, because it often flows unnaturally in English and frequently is unclear who's speaking.
  • and frequently is unclear who's speaking.

In my limited LN experience (mostly YuYuYu-related) there's some parts that look like excerpts of a script except with the name tags removed, so maybe that's just a general "thing".
    Yeah I'm pretty sure real English translations do a lot of clean up in terms of making things flow English-wise.

I once read on ANN that LNs are genuinely written like scripts a lot of the time.
  • edited 2017-10-16 07:06:56
    It's not just within a scene that it's unclear who's speaking.

You can have a scene change just on the next line, simply announced by a single sentence paragraph like "Lunch." Not even a section break -- if I miss that one word, I might still be thinking we're in the morning conversation.

What you say about being "written like scripts" seems likely to be true in this case.
    I think I kind of admire LNs for not having section breaks, it's something I've wanted to try out for myself for a while, but it isn't pleasant when the scene just shifts. I understand that.

A Manga Time Kirara spinoff magazine is being shut down (a legit one, not just one that prints nothing but Madoka manga). Is this the end of an era?
  • edited 2017-10-17 18:14:08
    Speaking of which I actually went through every anime series to which I am somewhat familiar with the soundtrack and picked out tracks that I feel are iconic or my favorite to each.

So I tried to pick out tracks (up to two per series, preferably one) that didn't involve insert songs, and didn't involve remixing the OP or ED, but in some cases I did anyway. (Note: these aren't necessarily favorites.)

A Certain Scientific Railgun: "Chiisana Nozomi" (SPARK!! track 17)
    Absolute Duo: "死化羽" (Special Disc 6 track 4)
    AKB0048: "Aitakatta (AKB0048 ver. ~Orchestra~)" (track 2) (if we're allowing tracks based on insert songs) or "Kanashimi no Ato ni" (track 20)
    Angel Beats!: "theme of SSS" (disc 1 track 2) (there's apparently an alternate version but I don't know which soundtrack disc it appears in)
    Arpeggio of Blue Steel: "SAVIOR" (disc 1 track 1 or vol. 1 track 1)
    Atelier Escha & Logy: "Wind of Hope ~希望の風~" (disc 1 track 7) or "また明日会いましょう" (disc 1 track 11)
    Beyond the Boundary: "Sukoshi Fushigi na Monogatari no Kaimaku" (disc 1 track 1)
    Chaika the Coffin Princess: "Eishou" (track 12)
    Cross Ange: "Zetsubou to no Souguu" (disc 1 track 24) or "ヴィルキス 覚醒" (disc 2 track 8)
    .hack//SIGN: "The World" (disc 1 track 2) (I'm sorry, but this is just too iconic not to pick)
    Dragonaut: the Resonance: "Force of Mind ~Dragonaut The Resonance~ Main Theme" (disc 1 track 4)
    The Tower of Druaga: "Noble and Servant" (Aegis album track 9)
    Element Hunters: "Saiki" ((sorry, this is based on the OP, but this is very iconic of the soundtrack's style and feel)
    Eureka Seven: "Shinjitsu" (OST1 disc 1 track 7) or "Nirvash typeZERO" (OST1 disc 1 track 23)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion: "Hedgehog's Dilemma" (disc 1 track 5) or "The Beast II" (disc 2 track 16)
    The iDOLM@STER: "レッスン" (ANIM@TION MASTER 02 track 1) or "少女たち" (ANIM@TION MASTER 02 track 5)
    Jinki: Extend: "Aoba no Theme (M-2)" (track 11)
    Kiddy Grade: "Anger -Omei-" (Sound Pack 3 track 4)
    Kowarekake no Orgel / The Half-Broken Music Box: "Hajimari"/"Orgel" (track 1/28) or "Omoide" (track 25)
    Rinne no Lagrange / Lagrange: the Flower of Rin-ne: "○" (track 29)
    Leviathan: the Last Defense: "楽しいバカンス" (track 13)
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica: "Decretum" (Original Soundtrack II track 1)
    Mai-HiME: "Makafushigi" (Vol. 1 track 9) or "Mezame" (Vol. 1 track 23)
    Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: "Raging Heart, Set Up" (track 4) or "Daijoubu da yo" (track 10)
    Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS: "Ryuusei no Shashu ~Theme of Tiana~" (Vol. 1 track 19) or "この広い世界に(StS Arrange)" (Vol. 3 track 22)
    ViVid Strike!: "リンネ、変身" (vol. 1 track 13) or "フーカ、変身!" (vol. 1 track 9)
    Noir: "Canta per me" (OST 1 track 4) (if vocal tracks are allowed) or "Melodie" (OST 1 track 11)
    Pokémon: "Gym Battle Theme" (season 1 track 35) (if stuff based on outside media is allowed) or "Farewell Pikachu!" (season 1 track 37)
    HeartCatch Pretty Cure: "Precure! Open my heart!" (OST1 track 1 or OST2 track 27)
    Rocket Girls: "Happy Girls" (track 5)
    Sea Story / Umi Monogatari: "Eikyuu no Nagisa ~a dream in beach~ (Umi Monogatari Theme) - Shinrabanshou" (disc 1 track 1)
    Sky Girls: "Fall in Love" (disc 2 track 2)
    Stellvia of the Universe: "Glittering Each Star" (track 2) or "Splendid Flight" (track 23) (very tempted to include "Anthem of Stellvia")
    Str.A.In.: Strategic Armored Infantry / Soukou no Strain: "Waltz for Strain" (track 27)
    Stratos 4: "Mikaze no teema (Mikaze's theme)" (Original SoundTrack track 3) or "kyoudai suisei no kyoui (Threat of a Giant Comet)" (Original SoundTrack track 15) (SO hard to decide between this latter one and the so-called "unrecorded soundtrack bgm 6" from the so-called Character Song Album)
    Senki Zesshou Symphogear: "Shoujo no Uta ni wa, Chi ga Nagarete iru" (Original Soundtrack 1 track 2)
    Time of Eve: "CODE LIFE" (track 2) (if an instrumental OP is allowed) or "Eve no Jikan")
    Uta∽Kata: "Akaneiro no Kiseki" (Ichika SIDE track 22) or "Ooinaru Chikara" (Manatsu SIDE track 3)
    Yuuna Yuuki is a Hero: "Ifuu Doudou" (main soundtrack track 10)
    IJBM: booru art of Rinne Berlinetta is not ripped as hell
  • That's because she never looked like that in the anime.
  • edited 2017-10-17 08:05:09
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    That's because she never looked like that in the anime.
    Okay, perhaps not "ripped as hell", but she did have some noticeable muscle tone in some scenes, such as those involving her training.
    I just watched seven episodes of Symphogear AXZ in one day, I'm not entirely sure why.

So far, it feels like if a character is not being completely the worst or complaining about how something is their fault (see; Chris, Elfnein), they're just nonexistent charason vehicles. Also, I don't know if I love or "love" how somebody keeps going "Oh darn Miku exists!".

I do have to say that episode 3 was like the most random trying-to-one-up-ourselves-because-that's-what-we-do episode ever, and then episode 4 was somehow worse but it mattered even less. In fact, the stakes kind of seem middling all throughout because the Alchemists keep just like... not killing the gear users when they "can".

Plus, props on giving us our "This season is an even number so the villains will be three girls whilst a man pulls the strings from behind", season, that's definitely what we all wanted Satelight.

Not forgetting how the Alchemist's plan is also to get rid of the Curse of Balal agaaaaaaaaaaaain. I'm not sure if Saint German's groaning about how it makes people "not understand each others hearts" is to cover up that Sonya's brother Stefan somehow speaks perfect Japanese even though he is from Fake South America Land.

Anyways, I also read a few stories from MahouIku episodes. It's really weird how much of the MahouIku anime is actually bits from episodes, and it was even weirder when Melville helped Clantail out that one time (even though it was for Clamberry).

• and it was even weirder when Melville helped Clantail out that one time (even though it was for Clamberry).

Don't you mean La Pucelle? Unless I forgot something about Restart.

• edited 2017-10-17 14:31:59
    Yeah, La Pucelle. Clantail was too busy being friended by Shadow Gale.

Also that Magical Daisy story sure has an ending.
    I'm not entirely sure why.

Actually, I know why; I was looking for something. I didn't find it. I quit.

Next up on my list, a show I don't think I gave a fair chance; MARGINAL#4, and the show I actually want to watch, DRAMAtical Murder.
  • NpJzIOf.jpg

This is some amazing self-deprecation.
    I really like "Absolute Soul" from Konomi Suzuki but I am not feeling the same love from "Blow Out".
    Blow out is like... Overdrive by Harada Hitomi, it's a "give it everything" type song filled with guitar runs that's really really fun to sing along to but not too much else.

Compare to like, Sakebe or climber's high by Numakura Manami.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure episode 4 of Infini-T Force implied that the shipgirl villain is a giant racist.

I also watched all of Love Kome... it was actually funny in the middle but the last arc was disappointing.
  • edited 2017-10-20 13:04:19
    Akashic Records's first season is (quite clearly) not an entire story and thus I will be reserving judgement until a complete story becomes available.

(Also, as that Glenn might say, all those people who are ragging on the series for ending poorly can go shove it.)

I will comment, though, that I don't like the costume design. And Radars being a lech can definitely stray into unfunny territory sometimes. Still, though, it worked out overall. It might have benefitted if it weren't (seemingly) written with a harem dynamic or its characteristic style of bad jokes in mind.

Anyhow, I think I watched it too early. The soundtrack isn't even out yet.
  • edited 2017-10-20 13:51:37
    Blow out is like... Overdrive by Harada Hitomi, it's a "give it everything" type song filled with guitar runs that's really really fun to sing along to but not too much else.

I looked up both Blow Out and Absolute Soul on vgmdb and, sure enough, their composers are different. Hige Driver wrote Blow Out, while Mitsuru Wakabayashi wrote Absolute Soul.

And sure enough, another song that I didn't expect to like but ended up liking, "This Game", is also by Mitsuru Wakabayashi.
  • edited 2017-10-20 17:46:33
    This game is great.
    Akashic Records's first season is (quite clearly) not an entire story and thus I will be reserving judgement until a complete story becomes available.

I'm pretty sure the manga was licensed by Seven Seas, ie the only way you will ever get more out of that story.

So, Ousama Game is a bust*, and I tried watching Blend S but it feels too inconsequential (and also Dino is a giant creep). I was supposed to be calm and stuff and waiting for DreaFes! to end and YuNoShou to start but I have zero patience.

I might try Inuyashiki, and I think that's the last thing I'll give a shot before actually genuinely giving up.

EDIT: Oh wow Seven Seas do license every LN manga adaptation not nailed to the ground.

*Ousama Game has a plot line where the main character, afraid for his best friends life, punches him in the face to knock him out. He then forces his girlfriend to have sex with said friend (though she doesn't need too much convincing, it seems) whilst he cries on the balcony outside as if he's the one who is being violated.

Despite this literally being against every fiber of my being and my morals, I don't want to stop watching it. I sincerely hope this feeling passes.
  • edited 2017-10-22 08:57:38
    I don't think I'd really enjoy Akashic Records that much in manga form. I'm interested in the story but less interested in the visuals.

(Same applies to Absolute Duo, incidentally. Sidenote: Absolute Duo started off really awkwardly, but then found its groove later on when the lead characters fell into a rather stable relationship. Every time it went back to hinting at a harem it got worse; every time it went to action scenes with Tor and Julie cooperating it got better.)

Anyway, I've repeatedly felt like watching Chain Chronicle but it annoys me that IIRC there's no English dub of the pieces aside from the TV series, so it makes me conflicted whether I should watch it dubbed or subbed.

Also I'm realizing I don't like dealing with the format of prose used in fan-translated LNs, because they stick really closely to the original text and the result is frequently awkward.
  • Surely it's preferable to whatever practices led to this:

T9FxeoB.png
  • edited 2017-10-22 15:49:31
    SHOUGANAI NEE

I think I like alien prose for some reason. Probably comes from reading lots of Norwegian and German novels translated into English.
    This Mascot Character has long been in the business of slave trafficking according to some rather harsh rumors, apparently she was a shrewd scout.
    >Approaches you out of nowhere
    >Forces you to transform
    >Fast talker
    >Tells you you only have a limited time to complete your mission
    eeeeeeyuuuuuuup

Also:
    “This is the kind of Magical Skill that you’d see in an erotic game or manga”
    “Why does an underaged girl like you know about those things?”

“Of course, it symbolizes the fearsome bonds of marriage.”
    “Why does an underage girl like you say things like that?”
  • edited 2017-10-22 16:08:28
    Limited is when I fell in love with Magical Girl Raising Project.

Well, the end of Limited, not the beginning.