If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Suddenly, pineapples. (IJBM Vanilla 2.3 upgrade thread)

edited 2017-03-01 15:43:54 in IJBM meta
The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
I just updated us to Vanilla 2.3. Post any borkage here. With any luck, their new parsers don't heavily break too much :D

Comments

• edited 2017-03-01 20:23:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Ooh, that's interesting.

I used to malign the fact that YouTube videos auto-embed, though I've kinda gotten used to the fact that they do.  Now, suddenly, they don't anymore.  Not sure if want to go back?

Also, I'm not sure how you hacked our previous editor but it used to actually not have the problem of presuming that linebreaks in the source are WYSIWYG linebreaks.  It used to, but then it got fixed, but now it does that again.  So, copying text from another post, or from another Vanilla site such as HH, will cause a bunch of silly linebreaks to be introduced.

I did notice, though, after you hacked our editor previously, that caused posting comments on the mobile site to require < b r > tags for linebreaks, or else they just simply wouldn't work.  Happens for HH too I think.

It seems that the mobile editor takes raw HTML plus linebreaks, and the linebreaks are interpreted as-is.  The desktop version has its own editor, which ignores linebreaks in the HTML source in the preview text, but then interprets them as-is when the text is posted.  However, the hack that you previously did disabled this interpretation of linebreaks as-is, which caused the desktop editor to be more truly WYSIWYG, but then also caused the mobile editor to be even more "hardcore" HTML-only and ignore given linebreaks.

Edit: lol I had to break up the characters when mentioning a < b r > tag or else it parses.  Even in full desktop editor mode.  Heh.  Well at least we now know that the new editor natively takes HTML tags as well as bbcode.
  • edited 2017-03-01 20:26:28
    https://itjustbugsme.com/

Links are also not auto-parsed.  Interesting.

In a way I kinda like this, though it does probably disrupt some workflow we're used to as far as writing posts.

link made using HTML directly into advanced editor (not raw HTML)
    link made using BBCode

Both of these work.
  • edited 2017-03-01 22:53:59
    The new bbcode parser is...weird at best, so it's not surprising.  And yea, since there's a mix of HTML and bbcode in posts, I simply disabled it "purifying" HTML entirely since otherwise it caused a whole crapton of weird issues.
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    Okay awesome, I managed to fix their link parsing :D
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Ohey, new site enables the rich editor even for the mobile version.

Have to tap it a few times to work, but this basically guarantees consistency of formatting between posts, I think.
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    Interesting thing there is the editor never actually got an update since like 2.1 :D
    oh, important thing:

PM system now works again! :D
    I wonder if it's possible to get these automated emoticons turned off.

I mean, it parses : D into an emoji that shows X D.
  • edited 2017-05-05 01:57:21
    Things that still need fixing:

1. Reporting a post produces a blank post as the report.  Well, not completely blank, but the important fields merely have their headers and are not populated.  As an admin, going to the Settings page for Flagging plugin (from the Dashboard), I get a Permission Denied page.

2. The rich editor is nuts, especially in the mobile site.  On the desktop site, it inserts newlines in strange places, such as between quoteblocks and other text.  They can only be removed by removal in the raw HTML viewer.  The mobile site's rich editor is even wackier; the non-raw-HTML version activates the keyboard then loses keyboard focus, and any newlines typed into the HTML version are duplicated -- one newline in the raw HTML and one br tag.  Note that the editor parses newlines in the raw HTML text as newlines to be rendered in the final product, just like br tags.  This causes problems when pasting stuff from other HTML sources, e.g. copied text from the editor itself.  Also, when going back an editing a post in the mobile site, the editor shows both a raw HTML version and a rich text version, one above the other (this might be a useful feature?).

3. Is there a way to disable emoticons? D:
    Edit: I can apparently disable emoticons by going into the Emoji Sets plugin and choosing to not use emoticons.  It uses the Apple emoticons by default.  That said, I don't like non-text emoticons, but I'm not sure how popular disabling emoticons would be though.  Feedback is welcome.
    Hey, someone remind me why did we get rid of the new editor the first time?  Since Vanilla 2.3 does have a newer editor.
    Hmm, the new Advanced Editor works fine (no funky newline behavior) for the Desktop site but ignores newlines in the Mobile site.
    Ahh, I can choose a different version of the Advanced Editor for the Mobile site.  The WYSIWYG version makes it work as it should, but minus BBCode.  But if I try to use BBCode, it has the newline-duplicating problem again.

I wonder if there's a way to keep the old editor for the Desktop site since I remember some people want some stuff in it, but then use the Advanced Editor's WYSIWYG version for the mobile site.
    FYI if anyone wants to test out the other editors, just let me know when you're around and I can switch them at will (assuming I'm around).
  • Can we get something that isn't the regular WYSIWYG for mobile? I get that keyboard problem and have to switch to html mode.
  • edited 2017-05-05 02:49:51
    I can't seem to get both the old WYSIWYG editor (i.e. the one currently in use) on desktop and something else on mobile.  The Advanced Editor only lets me do two different things for the two sites because that's a feature of the Advanced Editor specifically.

A better fix would require under-the-hood intervention courtesy of UE.
    4. irresponsible uses of div tags have funny effects
  • edited 2017-05-07 03:29:43
    Update:
    Things that still need fixing:

1. Reporting a post produces a blank post as the report.  Well, not completely blank, but the important fields merely have their headers and are not populated.  As an admin, going to the Settings page for Flagging plugin (from the Dashboard), I get a Permission Denied page.

2. The rich editor is nuts, especially in the mobile site.  On the desktop site, it inserts newlines in strange places, such as between quoteblocks and other text.  They can only be removed by removal in the raw HTML viewer.  The mobile site's rich editor is even wackier; the non-raw-HTML version activates the keyboard then loses keyboard focus, and any newlines typed into the HTML version are duplicated -- one newline in the raw HTML and one br tag.  Note that the editor parses newlines in the raw HTML text as newlines to be rendered in the final product, just like br tags.  This causes problems when pasting stuff from other HTML sources, e.g. copied text from the editor itself.  Also, when going back an editing a post in the mobile site, the editor shows both a raw HTML version and a rich text version, one above the other (this might be a useful feature?).
    (removed old #3 because emoticons problem was solved)

3. Spam Queue and Moderation Queue pages have permission problems.
  • edited 2017-06-18 05:44:52
    We currently use the old post editor, which has a number of problems.  Just discovered another one today.

Vanilla 2.3 does not parse HTML font tags.  So "< font size="6" > stuff < / font >" (without the spaces obviously, which I've inserted just so it doesn't disappear when I press Post Comment) will not change the size of font.  Instead, one has to use < p style="font-size:72px" > stuff < / p >.

The problem is: When using the editor's font changer, it inserts HTML font tags.  (And then the preview also parses them, albeit also badly because it doesn't give adequate spacing between lines.)

FYI the old post editor that we're still using isn't even updated or maintained anymore.

So, as a result, I'd like to have us use the built-in editor.  It doesn't have as many buttons, though so I'd like to ask: does anyone object to making the switch to the new editor, and if so, why?
  • I prefer a functioning, up-to-date editor myself
  • Why does using the quote button in the editor (not the quote button on posts) insert so many font tags?
  • Also, it's been a while that one can't save new posts as drafts.

I tried my default first step to fixing problems (wait some time and see if it fixes itself) but it didn't work.
    asdasdfasdf
    asdfasdfasdfasdf
  • edited 2017-06-19 01:19:30
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Why does using the quote button in the editor (not the quote button on posts) insert so many font tags?

It doesn't for me.  I think what's happening is that you're copying from a source with lots of HTML stuff and it's getting thrown (invisibly) into the post along with the quoted text.
  • It's always similar font settings (Lucida Sans Unicode, which I don't have so it just turns into my browser's default) and happens even if I choose "paste as plain text".
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    It's always similar font settings (Lucida Sans Unicode, which I don't have so it just turns into my browser's default) and happens even if I choose "paste as plain text".

I kinda wanna figure out why this happens but I think a less time-consuming idea would be for me to just flip the switch and go to the new editor and see if anyone complains.

I think I'll go do that right now actually.
  • edited 2017-06-19 02:07:04
    So yeah. If you've got a complaint, compare this to your experience with the old editor, comment, and decide whether you'd like to see the old editor come back.

I haven't used this new editor much myself either so I can't say how well it works but from my limited exposure to it I think it works better than the old one.

In other news, Spam Queue and Moderation Queue in the dashboard now work, and I think reporting posts works properly now too.
    Edit: the queues work, but the flag threads created are still blank.

Also I think the spam account requests are going to the forum's built-in spam filter before going to our auto-reject, so there's now a ton in the forum's built-in filter.
    Fun observation: with the old editor, I had to tab five times to get to Post Comment.

Now hitting tab once goes straight to Post Comment.
  • edited 2017-06-19 08:43:27
    Fun observation: with the old editor, I had to tab five times to get to Post Comment.

Now hitting tab once goes straight to Post Comment.

Probably different tab order design, which is better anyway.
    Also I think the spam account requests are going to the forum's built-in spam filter before going to our auto-reject, so there's now a ton in the forum's built-in filter.
    Yea, it no doubt hooks in before I do my own checks, for better or worse. I should hack in it listing like 100 instead of like 10 because that queue is really full.
    I haven't used this new editor much myself either so I can't say how well it works but from my limited exposure to it I think it works better than the old one.
    It doesn't make me want to strangle it for adding things I don't want it to, so that instantly makes it better in my book.

In other news, I just tried the Flagging plugin on my vanilla...Vanilla install and it's just as broken there, so that's actually a problem that should be reported upstream, especially since it's an addon that comes packaged with Vanilla itself.
    So, as usual, Vanilla is useful and handy but inconsistent, buggy, and unintentionally amusing.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I hate change but it looks so streamlined and fancy~

I like that out of sixteen emojis we got a braces one :#