If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A thread about architecture, buildings, and interior design

edited 2018-05-27 04:01:20 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Because I have more thoughts on this than can be contained in merely one thread about plans for a fantastical university campus.  And evergreen doesn't hang out here anymore and in any case I'm not even talking so much about real-life real estate as I am just opining from my imagination and going on flights of fancy.

Anyway, at the moment I'm thinking back to this one house in Connecticut that we once saw.  Sort of a strange-ish thing.  Had garage in the basement, and was situated on a slope if I recall correctly.  All I remember was that one of the rooms, a living room of some sort, was carpeted and had dark blue walls.  Was used as a children's play room when we saw it.

Comments

• edited 2017-05-15 21:07:59
    The company dorms featured in the anime series Plastic Memories are rather absurdly spacious.

Each room houses two residents, one human and one android (who is ridiculously human except that he/she "sleeps" in a specialized recharging chair that looks like a dentist's reclining chair, rather than a bed).

The basic room is two stories tall and features floor-to-ceiling windows over its entire height.  It contains a full kitchen with an extended countertop as a breakfast area, a full bathroom, a common area with sofas and a coffee table, and an upper nook that is directly above the entrance/kitchen/bathroom which overlooks the large windows and lounge area, and contains a full-size bed, dressers and drawers for clothing, shelving for books, and a desk and chair.  (The recharging chair is on the lower floor next to the window.)

If you've worked there for a while you can even upgrade to an apartment with an expanded common area with more sofa space and a formal private bedroom.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Interesting space: IMAG0383.jpg
    I wonder how I'd use it, or what I could do with it.
    Source: http://lumegame.blogspot.com/ ; Apparently it's the dev's studio.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    so glenn, how do you feel about domes?

so glenn, how do you feel about domes?

#thingsimisays

i've climbed on top of at least two of them
    the thought of the moment is compact kitchen design
    cbfc3daaea73826aa1a1ee35c2928bb5.jpg
    576f5fbd2cc60f5e5a184909c81e0b27.jpg
    a7479c885bbbac459f40a6254e57318f.jpg
    154.jpg
    ck30b.jpg
    019f0efecef419952e0b5e01946d3ede.jpg
    a7530639e3e977afefdb969f465fc3ae.jpg
    going through this makes me want to look at tiny houses again but i need to sleep
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm getting claustrophobic just looking at some of these.

[hauty woman from the 50s disapproval GIF]
  • Compact home is best home. Less walking around and everything is close to everything else.

OTOH eeew, sink oven.
    Being raised on Gossip Girl and 90210 makes me crave wide open spaces of white off-white nothingness and two-story floor-to-ceiling windows.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Third picture from the top looks like it's asking for an accident, despite the neat look.
    I don't dream often, but when I dream about places from real life the architecture is always insane. Once, I dreamt about this neighbourhood closeby and the only way to get into any of the houses was through spiral staircases on a red-tiled roof.

When I I dream about school all the hallways are hexagonal and once they alternated between being made entirely of glass and of a dark, earthy concrete. Another time, the classrooms were concave and sort of had a step every row, so the teacher would have been sort of standing way above the guys sitting in the back row (almost everywhere is empty when I dream about it).
    crazy architecture design of the moment:
    a stack of condominium units, all spanning two floors -- an entrance floor and an upstairs.  However the upstairs is placed offset from the downstairs, such that from the side each unit looks like this:
    _
     \_
    so now you can stack them like this:
    -
    _\_
    _\_
    _\_
      \_

> why would you do this

because more interesting than a box i guess lol
    sudden even crazier thought: a building consisting of units that are the shapes of tetris pieces

i forgot i left vimeo autoplaying and suddenly i saw this haha

@fourteenwings is this open and spacious enough for you? :)
    Aside from the terrible seeming weather, the over-reliance on wood and those very strange seeming bathrooms that is basically a my dream.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    you're not talking about pools yet
    http://climatenewsnetwork.net/passive-housing-cuts-costs-global-warming/
    This is really neat.

In case anyone's wondering how a windcatcher works, Wikipedia has diagrams and descriptions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windcatcher
  • edited 2017-06-12 20:11:02
    Vorpy wrote: »
    you're not talking about pools yet

oddly enough my architectural ideas rarely include swimming pools, with the exception of pools or bodies of water in strange places -- e.g. river running beneath a house, or an indoor swimming pool.

Incidentally, years ago, I once ran across a (single-family residential) house in Bloomfield, CT (I think) that had an indoor swimming pool.  I wanted to see it just out of curiosity though I never got around to it.
    I know we haven't really talked about outside looks too much lately but what do you think of this?
    I know we haven't really talked about outside looks too much lately but what do you think of this?

I'm wondering how much light the interior gets, since the windows are a bit small, but it seems like a neat color design.  I presume the small windows go with the larger one on the right.
    I wonder what the round things on top are.
    I'm guessing these are two-story townhouses, based on the edge of the picture which gives a clue as to how high up this structure is?  Maybe three-story, given that the lower story window doesn't seem to open up onto a patio.
    Pretty sure it's at least three story, and the round things are satellite dishes?
    Going deeper into the whole "I like big spaces" thing, there's the concept of negative space in interior design. I think I'm quite fond of it. Also the all white thing is pretty okay, but if there were a real shocking pop of colour in a print taking over a wall I'd be all over that. Like this.
    I like how that bed uses space beneath it for drawers and then for making a small bookshelf to the side.

also that wine glass looks really fake lol
    Watching a video of people attempting to stay overnight in a McDonald's by hiding in the playplace (and getting caught, lol) caused me to suddenly wonder if I could explore a virtual playplace in the form of a videogame.

This in turn caused me to look up pictures on Google image search and end up in a Pinterest dedicated to indoor playplaces, especially in houses. Which eventually led me to this interesting construction:

527c397bf07ee5de229cdec4b0ded0f3--narnia-wardrobe-wardrobe-room.jpg
  • edited 2017-07-11 19:55:52
    Pinterest dump. From the interesting to the crazy to the downright weird.
    pinterest.com/pin/124412008432363352
    pinterest.com/pin/440086194822143322/
    pinterest.com/pin/345510602634425755/
    pinterest.com/pin/241013017536158057/
    pinterest.com/pin/243898136044984475/
    pinterest.com/pin/131871095315602984/
    pinterest.com/pin/408209153712806979/
    pinterest.com/pin/343892121517651594/
    pinterest.com/pin/573716440012112240/
    pinterest.com/pin/465207836488754110/
    pinterest.com/pin/351140102166453661/
    pinterest.com/pin/148618856427055747/
    pinterest.com/pin/18366310957626353/
    pinterest.com/pin/242068548691253454/
    pinterest.com/pin/400046379373467892/
    pinterest.com/pin/495747871469077410/
    pinterest.com/pin/366902700873013523/
    pinterest.com/pin/237705686560719986/
    pinterest.com/pin/212091463681568118/
    pinterest.com/pin/154811305912889633/

Edit: OH GOSH VANILLA AUTO-EMBEDS PINTEREST, FIXING THIS NOW.
    Narnia place looks like shabby chic which is an aesthetic I detest (that and secret compartments).

Can't look at specific Pinterest posts unless I have an account, apparently.
  • edited 2017-07-13 18:24:22
    Narnia place looks like shabby chic which is an aesthetic I detest (that and secret compartments).

Can't look at specific Pinterest posts unless I have an account, apparently.

That is weird, because I don't have a Pinterest account.

(also i like secret compartments...)
    I mean, it's just a personal thing, and it should be obvious how different our styles and likes/dislikes are at this point.
  • edited 2017-07-14 05:36:41
    Haha, I guess, yeah.

FWIW, from what I recall, the pinterest posts include such things as:
    * a ball pit with blue balls and a painting of a tropical beach on the wall
    * a slide that's like three or four stories tall and that goes down to the first floor, in an office-like building, as seen from several stories above it, in a huge open foyer
    * a Dubai hotel where every room has its own swimming pool with a view
    * a trap door to a wine cellar whose circular staircase downward is itself lined with comparments
    * some other small secret comparments stuff
    * a spiral staircase with a spiral slide wrapping around it, which I think is in a basement pub somewhere
    * a large backyard swimming pool with a dry lounge area with couches located below grade in the middle of the pool
    * a bedroom where the bed and night table and dressers are located on a platform surrounded by water
    * an indoor setting like an office or bedroom or somesuch (I forget which) but which has a slide in a wall which leads to a swimming pool
    * a bathroom built atop a disused elevator shaft, built such that the toilet is right on top of it, and with glass as flooring to show bathroom users the shaft below them

@Vorpy you want pools, here are some.
    In Samus' first mission on Zebes, Kraid's Lair was completely separate from Brinstar, and consisted mostly of structures crafted out of natural stones colored white.
    Crazy interior design idea: a mansion where the flooring, walls, and other decor are themed on the various parts of a videogame, such as Metroid.