If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bemani & Music Games

Anyone else here a fan? For those in the know, this is a thread to talk about Bemani stuff. :D Also feel free to talk about other music games if you want. although they are less important

For those *not* in the know, Bemani is Konami's influential music game division responsible for long-standing arcade hits like Pop'n Music, Dance Dance Revolution, Guitarfreaks, Drummania, and Beatmania IIDX, as well as newer experiments like Sound Voltex. Each of the aforementioned has numerous knockoffs and derivatives, which have also been popular. Yearly game editions since 1997 have cycled through a lot of great music, some of it Japanese hits, some western, some from games or anime, some original in-house works, and the occasional wild card. Over time, the styles and aesthetics have evolved, the difficulty ceiling has skyrocketed (lv10 used to be the highest difficulty and now we have lv20 charts), the game mechanics have been developed and smoothed out, and diehard fans have become ever more skilled. Sadly, it's hard to find newer editions in arcades these days outside of Japan, due to licensing issues as well as using Japan-only servers, but that doesn't stop baka gaijin fans like myself from going to the few places that do have these games, as well as pirating them or using simulator programs to play at home.

As for myself, I play Dance Dance Revolution a lot and it fills me with joy to play and watch other people play. I will probably spam DDR videos in here. So, thread is now open.

Comments

• Bovarian Mammarian
    I've seen people play DDR on a few occasions, but never tried it myself.

I can't dance, you see
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I like to play Stepmania as a form of exercise.

I should buy a pad for myself...
  • Stepmania is great and very versatile. I've linked pads before, but I'm gonna reccommend this pad for a casual player. It's affordable, portable, accurate, and fairly durable.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I can't look at that stuff without remembering this old piece of crap

• Oh god, it's so '80s it hurts. XD
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    yeah it's pretty great
  • I like music games a lot but arcades aren't real and I don't have/want to buy a dance pad so I don't play DDR or Stepmania.

I used to be really into Guitar Hero/Rock Band but I doubt my controllers still work (or my Xbox 360 actually) but the gameplay and aesthetics and soundtrack are all so ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't really think I'd care about them so much now.

So basically I play osu! a lot though I'm not really patient enough to try to get good at it so I'm kind of crap (link to my profile, not that it matters).

Also want to be playing Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone because there are like two music games on PS4 total (and one of them is Amplitude which is noooooot so good) but I haven't been playing too much of it yet. It seems fun though.
  • DYRE wrote: »
    arcades aren't real

They're still thriving in Japan and specialty venues throughout the world. :3
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I haven't been in an arcade in...I don't even remember
    I enjoy arcades though they don't tend to have that many games I'm into.

I like shmups, but not fighting games.  Other games (driving, shooting gallery, racing, etc.) are mainly novelty.  I also do like air hockey and Gauntlet and Bust-a-Move I guess.  And that mini basketball thing.  Prize-grabbers are meh though.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^^ For me the last time was somewhere around the early 2000's.
  • Most people don't realize it but the really good arcade games that stick around are expertly designed so players will get hooked and keep playing. Relegating them to "novelty" is underestimating their merit and their success. Japanese arcade culture is very social but I think the advent of online gaming and livestreams has gradually drawn players' attention away from real world venues and toward the internet. As for me, I really enjoy playing with people irl when it's possible. While longtime arcade mainstays like shmups and fighters are slowly migrating to download services and online play, music games are arguably still firmly rooted in real world arcades.
    It helps that music games have distinctive interfaces that are hard to duplicate at home.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    unless you have the power pad
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I wonder if any of these games feature songs I've heard before
  • I apparently only slightly remember who you are from TVT I think but uh... did you like Touhou? If so there's a lot of Touhou music in these games.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    There's a good chance I'd recognize Touhou music.

I am Patchouli Knowledge, after all
  • Miko and Imipolex are Touhou fans. :) Imipolex can only beat easy but I can beat lunatic. :3
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I play easy modo!
  • edited 2017-03-20 19:17:41
    I like MÚSECA 1+1/2 apparently, though it hurts my hands (I guess this is true of basically every rhythm game though). I'm not very good at it but I guess that can be fixed through time+money.

I don't think I'll ever get into DDR because it's exhausting and I am lazy and out of shape and refuse to change, though it is fun I'm just really awful.
  • Hard songs sap my stamina and then I have to quit. I wonder if I can become a really good player.