If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Is this article seriously implying that menu buttons are now obsolete for smartphone apps?

in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-menu-button-hidden

But, what about when you come across a really old, but still totally necessary app that still uses a legacy menu button?

I can't think of ANY app I have that DOESN'T use the menu button.

Comments

• They're referring to the hardware menu button.

Back in the Android 2.x days, phones came with physical menu, home, and back buttons. Oftentimes there was no menu icon on screen, so the only way to open the menu was with the device's menu button.

Since Android 4.x, most apps have been designed for phones without physical menu buttons, so they have that little three-dots icon you can tap to open the menu. Granted, the physical menu button still works if your phone has one, but it's not the only way to use menus like it was in the past.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, that's what I figured it was referring to.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least one app that I have, that uses up the whole screen as a display, and has other buttons on screen as well, and as a result makes use of the menu button to bring up the menu.

For what it's worth I'm considering getting a Samsung Galaxy J3 Emerge as a freebie phone deal thingy from a carrier, and I noticed its lack of hardware menu button (I'm actually kinda hesitant to call it "hardware" because it's just a touch-based sensitivity area, but that's technically correct).  I was wondering how I might get by without a menu button.

A little googling suggests it might be hidden underneath holding the back button or holding the recent apps hardware button, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer for this model.