If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Rin Tohsaka + Haruhi Suzumiya

in General
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
So, Haruhi is popular because she's a "God meme" and Rin is popular because....

Comments

• edited 2017-02-20 02:25:27
    Has anything Haruhi been popular in the remotely recent timeframe? The last animated thing was that Nagato series starring a Nagato that doesn't act like the main one.

Also, funny you mention the god thing since Tohsaka recently became Ishtar.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I was never familiar with Fate series, but from what others tell me she was the first Tsundere right?
  • Akane from Ranma predates Tohsaka by a good number of years.

Unless you meant Ishtar, but she's too forward to be Tsundere. Though she does have an excessively temperamental streak what with sending a giant bovine monster on Uruk.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've gotten the sense that Haruhi has largely become forgotten which actually kinda pisses me off since it was like IT'S SO GROUNDBREAKING AND COMPLETELY SHATTERS OUR IDEAS OF GENRES AND OUR UNDERSTANDING OF REALITY AND SO ON AND SO FORTH just a mere several years ago, and now it's an afterthought.

And I actually watched it a few years after the hullabaloo died down and thought it was Actually Pretty Cool of a thing.

But then again I also enjoyed Endless Eight.  To be fair I went into it knowing what it would be, basically.  But I think I would have enjoyed the "WHOA" feeling even if I didn't already know what it would be.  I like stories that can do that.
  • IT'S SO GROUNDBREAKING AND COMPLETELY SHATTERS OUR IDEAS OF GENRES AND OUR UNDERSTANDING OF REALITY AND SO ON AND SO FORTH

Are you sure that's not just a symptom of anime fans having rather narrow conceptions on these subjects?
  • edited 2017-02-20 04:23:27
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not just a symptom of anime fans having rather narrow conceptions on these subjects?

It is, but based on the earth-shattering magnitude of their reaction you'd think that they'd at least remember this a few years down the road.

Then again I haven't checked to see whether Haruhi shows up on those big /a/ rec lists these days.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    The problem is that the actual novel's story has petered out since no new content has come along in years, giving the publisher's no incentive to order a new season meaning the the introductory arcs and the movie is all there is to latch on to.
  • edited 2017-02-20 16:30:51
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Oh yeah actual point; Rin is popular because she is currently the starring heroine of the Fate/ franchise, and possibly it's most compelling one as she's a modern person (and not a creepy "I want to sleep with Arthur" thing like Saber) who understands the stuff going on around her (and not a creepy "this girl has been so broken by a gross old man who possibly used insects to sexually assault her" thing like Sakura).
    but based on the earth-shattering magnitude of their reaction
    People don't even remember ShinKyo and that aired in 2015 2016 recently.
    is all there is to latch on to.
    Yen Press published all of the novels in English. I know anime fans aren't big on reading, but LNs aren't big on words either. Personally, I quit when it started to feel like maybe it wasn't as progressive as we thought it was (in other words it's possible Haruhi really was just a first-novel-grab girl for Kyon's harem, going my Disappearance).
    IT'S SO GROUNDBREAKING
    Haruhi gave us one good thing; the girl herself. The rest was a massive mistake (the mystery surrounding her went on too long, and therefore too much was added to it, and therefore there's no way the explanation for her ever made any actual sense) and it's popularity basically put us where we are today (granted in a super indirect way).
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Most likely the author didn't know how to end the series, which is sad. But I don't think the idea of a harem is there in any way but as a general similarity of the gender ratio of the protagonists of other LN stories of the time.
    People don't even remember ShinKyo and that aired in 2015 2016 recently.

Attack on Titan, right?  People are still mentioning it.
  • edited 2017-02-27 07:21:38
    Rin is probably the best written and most realistic Tsundere in memory. She also popularized Zettai Ryouiki with the pigtails combo
  • I wonder what it says about me that not knowing her name or anything about the work she's from, I read that and knew immediately who you were talking about.
    Isn't she like, one of the go-to examples of tsundere, on TVT?
  • She's the page image, yeah