If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Talk about forum bugs/usability issues here -- post-Vanilla-2.2 upgrade edition

in IJBM meta
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
A couple things I've noticed so far:

1. Can't seem to tab to the Post Comment button after writing a comment.  Tabbing through the buttons goes through the several things beneath the comment box, but then skips over Post Comment.

2. Twitter links get auto-parsed into embedded tweets.  Is this a feature we want?  This is an open question.

Comments

• 2. Twitter links get auto-parsed into embedded tweets.  Is this a feature we want?  This is an open question.

Yas.

Also, the quote button in the tool bar does nothing, and neither this thread nor the other thread (and presumably all threads with no replies) show no number of new posts.
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    1. Can't seem to tab to the Post Comment button after writing a
    comment.  Tabbing through the buttons goes through the several things
    beneath the comment box, but then skips over Post Comment.
    Fixed; was a bug specific to CLEditor so I applied a fix to that instead of a core hack so it ports over upgrades now.
    Also, the quote button in the tool bar does nothing,
    Lies, it works perfectly fine. (A function it used was removed in jquery 1.9, so I just readded a version of it)
    and neither this thread nor the other thread (and presumably all threads with no replies) show no number of new posts.
    Because Vanilla doesn't consider the first post a "post" (or as they call it, a "comment"); it's a "discussion". The only way to tell, by what they think you should tell, is the topic will be bolded instead of normal font. I applied my own core hack to make it count the discussion before because new post counts were extremely broken in 2.1 anyway; I could reimplement the hack for the counting of a discussion into the number of new posts if that's better.
  • Tweet auto-embedding might end up annoying, although I'm not sure how often someone would run into the issue of say, wanting to link to something that's a little too graphically disturbing to just embed.
  • edited 2016-10-22 15:53:34
    Youtube videos are embedded the same way actually, and the way I typically "turn off" auto-embedding is to delete the "http://www." from the beginning.

I guess if I really wanted to I could add BBcode for a hyperlink to it instead.  That would also turn off auto-embedding.

Fixed; was a bug specific to CLEditor
    so I applied a fix to that instead of a core hack so it ports over
    upgrades now.

Still doesn't work in Waterfox 49.0.2.

Also, same goes with Save Comment after editing a comment.  I don't think there was ever a core hack fixing this in 2.1 anyway.
  • edited 2016-10-22 16:50:33
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    The editor actually does that; it doesn't consider it a form input, so it tabs (for me) to the next link (which is the home under the comment box), then IJBM meta, then preview, then save draft, then finally post comment, but only after I removed the tabindex property on the post comment button.  Save Comment (which does still have a tabindex) skips right over it because, again, the editor is not considered a form input; the editor is actually an iframe with the default editor hidden under it.
    Probably worked on the default editor since that's just a textarea, so it tabs to the next form item instead of the next link, which is post comment (fun fact: preview and save draft aren't actually buttons at all; they're just styled links)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I never knew there was a difference between form items and links.  I thought browsers just tab-cycled through all of them lol.
    That would be logical, but apparently not. That and developers can override tab order as they see fit by specifying a tabindex.
    Quotes don't work right in this version.  First, the quote header is formatted weirdly, and second, quotes don't embed properly into other quotes.
  • I got some sort of "fatal error" message trying to start a new PM conversation. I have a screenshot but I'm not sure if it's safe to post here.
  • @glennmagusharvey I sent a PM by reopening an older conversation and now I need to know whether you got that or the PM system itself is screwed.
  • edited 2016-11-21 06:54:11

Fatal Error in PHP.trigger_error();

The error occurred on or near: /chroot/home/ijbm/itjustbugsme.com/html/forums/library/database/class.database.php

418:                     $this->closeConnection();

419:                     continue;

420:                 }

421: 

422:                 trigger_error($message, E_USER_ERROR);

423:             }

424: 

425:         }

426: 

Yeah, it's definitely still happening.
  • Getting privacy error when I open this site with https.
  • Getting privacy error when I open this site with https.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    No quote but the same.
    The certificate expired on Saturday 3 December 2016 06:58. The current time is Saturday 3 December 2016 12:09.
  • Chrome seems to insist to bring me to the https version if I just put "itjustbugsme.com" both on my laptop and my phone. Though adding "/forums" gets around that.
  • edited 2016-12-05 18:04:58
    Didn't notice the cert expired; just renewed it.
    Also, I have force redirects in place to https://; they just don't seem to want to always work.
  • Naas_Human wrote: »
    Chrome seems to insist to bring me to the https version if I just put "itjustbugsme.com" both on my laptop and my phone

Good.
  • edited 2016-12-07 13:17:55
    The politics category URL is about to become outdated, it requires change immediately.

(Unless it's referring to Uhuru Kenyatta.)
  • For the record I am still able to access IJBM over regular HTTP. I'm not sure if this is by design or if it's an oversight, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

(Heapers' Hangout went to all-HTTPS some time ago.)
  • It seems images aren't automatically resized anymore, which means they can overlap the sidebox.
    It's not too bad further down the page since it can break up the huge white void, I guess.
  • edited 2017-01-19 08:58:16
    For the record I am still able to access IJBM over regular HTTP. I'm not sure if this is by design or if it's an oversight, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

(Heapers' Hangout went to all-HTTPS some time ago.)

With the way the hosting panel is setup, I can't actually do that as far as I know; that's why I attempted force redirects to https instead.
    Also it's worth noting that Vanilla 2.3 dropped a couple months ago, so I'll probably be upgrading the forum again sometime soon-ish.
  • I get an error message whenever I try to start a PM conversation (replying to an already started conversation seems to work fine).
  • Is it the same one GMH posted?
  • Now that you point that out, yeah (except using the new URL).
  • edited 2017-02-25 17:03:09
    Update to 2.3 is coming soon.

Quote tags for the other person's username have been fixed, and it seems that Vanilla handles BBCode and HTML together more smoothly than previous versions have.  PM system also seems to work.  This is stuff that I've seen on a private test board that UE put up.

Let me know if there are any features you want us to test before release.
  • Is there any way to reduce the expanse of white void on the right of the screen?
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Is there any way to reduce the expanse of white void on the right of the screen?

It's currently taken up by the user features/links/etc panel column, but how would you imagine a different arrangement?
  • Just having posts that start below the box (which tends to be big chunk of a given page) extend a little further right...?
    Admittedly I have no idea how this would work in coding.
    I'll play with that here right now, since it's simple CSS. Something like this?
This discussion has been closed.