If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

It's baby gecko season!

edited 2016-07-05 17:22:25 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Baby brown (Caribbean) anoles house geckos removed from house so far: 4

#1 found on the stairs

#2 found in the bathroom

#3 found on the kitchen counter

#4 found in the study

Comments

• Are these supposed to be pictures, or...? Maybe the meaning of this escapes me.

What am I seeing here? I mean, I like searching for numbers as much as the next guy..
  • It's the forum automatic formatting. Starting a line with # turns it into a search for the hashtagged term.
  • edited 2016-06-22 18:35:35
    Just now I realized that the lizards I'd caught and released outside might not be brown anoles, but actually common house geckos.  If I recall correctly, they don't have the sharp toes of anoles, but have more rounded toes.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Anoles are those Caribbean lizards which are common examples in evolution handbooks?
  • You guys get all the interesting animals invading your personal space.  All we get is fucking mosquitoes and sugar ants.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Anoles are those Caribbean lizards which are common examples in evolution handbooks?

Possibly.

There are two main species around here, the green anoles a.k.a. Carolina anoles, which are native here in South Florida but usually keep to the woods, and the brown anoles a.k.a. Caribbean anoles that are like everywhere because they have for whatever reason adapted to living around human settlements much better.

Of course, I somehow derped and forgot that there could easily be other lizard species around here as well.

Bee wrote: »
    You guys get all the interesting animals invading your personal space.  All we get is fucking mosquitoes and sugar ants.

We get even more ants.  We get ants like there's no tomorrow.

Also the midday sun fucking hates everyone.
    Fifth one in the closet of the study.

I missed catching this one...
    Finally caught a fifth one, this time on the stairs. Released it to the patio.
    Sixth one spotted, falling out of a bookshelf downstairs. I hope it eats more of those ants.
  • edited 2016-08-13 03:28:29
    Sixth one spotted again(?), running underneath an armchair.

My dad stomped it dead, sadly.
    Seventh one spotted on stairs. Caught and released into patio.
    Eighth one spotted on washroom wall. Caught and released into patio.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just let them stay in here...then again I don't want their droppings or corpses.
  • Yeah if it were spiders I'd say let them sta as long as they're not hurting anything.  Something as big as geckos, they tend to leave messes.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    How do geckos compare to mice on scale of bothersomeness?
  • They sometimes make annoying sounds and often crawl under the ceiling and you get the nagging feeling that it's going to fall on you at some point (which they sometimes do), but they don't eat your stuff or spread diseases that much (AFAIK).
    Spotted a ninth one in the study.

I decided to just leave this one.
    I read that as "just leave home".

lrdgck wrote: »
    I read that as "just leave home".

I'm probably content to cohabitate with it.

Just saw it again in fact.
    A few days ago I spotted another one in the upstairs bathroom.
    Caught this one and released it out the front door.  I got some pictures of it first, which I might use as my avatar somewhere.  Like, say, on Steam.
    I saw one a few weeks ago but let it be.

I think I probably caught that same one yesterday.  Let it out the front door.

Also thanks to this http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12818

I've figured out the species of my house geckos -- they're tropical house geckos (Hemidactylus mabouia).
    My mom discovered what she characterized as possible lizard eggshells in the attic.  Presumably that's where these geckos started out.  Would explain why they generally showed up on the second floor.
    Sounds like you're in a horror movie, and it's already some forty-fifty minutes in.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Unless somebody already passed away under mysterious circumstances in glenn's house before they moved in, I'm on the fence.
    I don't disagree. But it sounds a bit like the point when you see someone descend through that derelict and find out there's lot of them eggs stuff down there.
  • edited 2017-08-21 07:00:13
    Over the past few weeks I've found more baby geckos. I've caught and put outside all but one of the ones I've seen.

But tonight I hit the motherlode:

I found an adult gecko. Possibly actually a female (and thus possibly the mother of these geckos I've been finding), though I'm not sure (I mean I did find her downstairs when the babies I've found are generally upstairs). I'll review the photos I took of her later.

And photos? Oh yes I got like 20 photos. By the time I got her into my hand she was willing to stay on my hand. Not sure why geckos can suddenly become so tame (and then later go back to scurrying away), as it's obvious my hand is moving around, but oh well, I used that chance to go get my camera and snap lots of photos.

Besides lots of close-up photos of this lizard, where I could even make out individual scales (a rarity for a crappy cell phone camera, unless I can get the focus just right), I discovered a few things:
    * this gecko can hang onto the wall, but while staying still, she does slide downward gradually. This is painted drywall, though the paint is a bit on the glossy side of things, not standard rough drywall paint.
    * she has some occasional and irregularly-arranged orange spots on her skin, which from what I've seen on the internet, are parasites. (Mites, I think.) I did wash my hands and arms with soap and wipe my phone with rubbing alcohol like three times afterwards, and I haven't seen any on me and I was careful to prevent the gecko from getting particularly far up my arms, so hopefully I didn't catch any of them. (I normally wash my hands after handling an animal, especially a wild animal, but I just washed them extra hard this time.)
    * she seemed rather thin. Might have to do with being indoors, where there are relatively few insects to eat.

Oh well. After a long photo shoot, wherein she refused to eat a couple ants that I found, I let her out the front door.

It's ironic that I've hit the motherlode just days before I'm about to move out of here. In fact tonight might be the last night I sleep here.

I should treasure that moment. Goodnight.