If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

GMH plays Pokémon Perfect Crystal: the Quest for the Full Pokédex

Comments

• edited 2016-05-29 21:14:11
    Zigzagoon is the only generation Rattata I've used, it's fast, attacks well and gets me free stuff.

I remember trying to train a Zubat, but getting annoyed that after a while it hadn't learn a decent attack move.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I did lose Gastly to his Bayleef
    GMH I am dissappoint.

Nobody loses to the Chikorita line.

nobody

all I have is Lick and Water Gun.

How did you manage that?

By having exactly the team i specified. :p Tackle, Bind, Hyper Fang, Scratch, and Quick Attack.

Bee wrote: »
    I remember Sentret being unexpectedly slow, yeah.  Then again, Rattata is unusually good (if a one-trick kind of guy) for early game in just about any gen that offers it.

It's the same problem as Zubat -- people dismiss it because it's the most common thing ever, but it's probably a lot more powerful than your team of special snowflakes.  Of course, part of that is probably out of spite, which is understandable.

I have a Zubat and an Ekans. Which one should I raise first?

Also, my Sentret evolved into Fawriel! a Furret.

ACQUIRED: Furret
  • Zubat is the safest option.  Golbat was already far, far too good for as easy as it is to get hold of, and the gen you're playing gave it an even better evo that's still painfully easy.
    I'm actually probably not going to use the highest evolution forms that much since my goal is to collect them all and thus keeping a highest evolution form on hand is like preventing another mon from getting raised.

Kinfa unfortunate, but this creates the interesting task of making good use of the earlier forms.
  • edited 2016-06-01 21:29:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Seems like this level 15 Furret's speed is actually quite respectable, and its best stat:
    Attack 30
    Defense 29
    Sp. Attack 23
    Sp. Defense 26
    Speed 33
    On route 36.

Caught a glimpse of a Growlithe.

It roars me away.

This keeps happening.

I'M TIRED OF FIGHTING PIDGEYS DARNIT
    Gastly is trying to learn Curse, but I already have Hypnosis, Lick, Spite, and Mean Look.

Ugh, decisions....
    I decided that Curse, while spectacular, isn't all that useful if I want to catch stuff, so I forwent it.  Besides if I really want a gastly evol line with Curse I can raise one pretty easily by endgame.

Meantime, Zubat is now Level 12 and has just learned Bite, which means it's no longer reliant on the really cruddy Leech Life move to deal damage.
    ACQUIRED: Unown F, D, E, H.  (Total collection is now B, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K.  I've seen one C but it fled.  Another use for Mean Look I guess.  Dunno why the other letters aren't appearing but presumably they will after I solve more of the puzzles.)

Catching that H took me forever.  It wasted like four Poké Balls, one of them even after my Gastly put it to sleep.

Oh, so yeah, I belatedly remembered that I had a Gastly with Hypnosis and should have sent that out against the Growlithe, rather than wasting two Poké Balls and one Fast Ball on it.  So now I'm basically heading back there.  It's only there in the daytime I think.  But in the meantime I took a detour and realized that my Zubat, with Leech Life and Bite, is now great for hunting Unown.
    ACQUIRED: Unown A, C.

I screwed up another C encounter by Leech Life'ing it only for it to run away, then I finally remembered to switch my Gastly to be sent out first.

The second C encounter this time took me an entire Gastly level up to get to it.

Mean Look.  Switch to Zubat.  Leech Life.  I forgot to do Hypnosis, so switch back to Gastly.  Hypnosis.

Second chamber of the Ruins of Alph entered.  I haven't encountered anything there yet.  I think I will need a truckload of pokéballs for that.

Game saved at the place where I first encountered a Growlithe.  Gonna do that later.
    ACQUIRED: Arcanine!  (after wasting another couple pokéballs with me being stupid and not remembering that Leech Life as bug type was ineffective against fire, and also not realizing that Lick was just not powerful enough to leave it in the low yellow HP range)
  • edited 2016-06-14 14:18:26
    I finally got to play the game in the morning!  Caught no new mons though.

Hoppip is trying to learn Stun Spore, but it already knows:
    Tackle
    Synthesis
    Flash (why did I teach it this move already???)
    Poisonpowder

hmm...as sparkly cool as synthesis is, it's not really going to be all that useful...

But wait, there's more!

bonusstatus is the modifier for any status condition the Pokémon has (10 for sleep or freeze, 0 otherwise).
    bonusstatus was intended to equal 5 for paralyze, poison, or burn, but due to a glitch, the game skips this check

So both poisonpowder AND stun spore are kinda useless to help catch stuff.

Hoppip does get Sleep Powder later.

I think I'll go with the utility of having Poisonpowder right now.  At least it works with Synthesis in case I need to do a stalling tactic to defeat a tough opponent.  Bye bye Stun Spore.

Ilex forest is up next!  (It's a shame it's dark, or else I'd have preferred to wander around here in the morning.)
    ACQUIRED: Paras!  And Raticate!

And I wonder who should learn Cut.

Rattata evolves into Raticate at level 20...and also learns Focus Energy before it does that.  There goes Tail Whip...though this was a close one since I'm really not sure which one's more useful.

Funny thing: Rattata learns Focus Energy at level 20, then evolves into Raticate, then learns Scary Face.

Now I need to come up with a new team.  I'm swapping out Raticate, probably for Ekans or Spinarak, because they both have Poison Sting, which can work great on...this forest of bugs that are extremely underleveled compared to me, actually.

Also need a pokémon that knows Cut.  Kinda want to teach it to Totodile.  Or maybe switch in Bellsprout or Oddish for my current Hoppip and then put Cut on that.
  • Togepi is usually a good HM slave in Gen 2.
    Since I'm not using TMs and only relying on naturally-learned moves, it seems that I might end up with the following final movesets for these pokémon:

Vileplume:
    Petal Dance
    Acid
    Moonlight
    Sleep Powder

Victreebel:
    Razor Leaf
    Acid
    Slam
    Sleep Powder

Arbok:
    Screech
    Glare/Haze
    Acid
    Bite

Haze and Screech don't really go together so I think I can replace either one with Strength, which is the only HM Ekans/Arbok can learn.

Putting Cut on Victreebel makes me choose between that and another pretty decent move.  On the other hand, while Moonlight is healing, it's relatively useless for me given what I'm trying to do, so I can more safely put Cut on Vileplume.

In other words, this means I'm picking Oddish to replace Hoppip right now.

Now I still need to decide between Ekans and Spinarak.

Ariados's eventual moveset...well I've gotten this far:
    Poison Sting
    Night Shade
    Leech Life
    Fury Swipes
    Then I'm not sure what to dump to get Spider Web.  And whether to pick up Agility.  And what to dump for Psychic.  The list above gives it four attacks -- poison, ghost, bug, and normal.  The two STAB moves, however, are horribly weak, so one of them should probably be dumped, probably Poison Sting.  But Fury Swipes isn't that great either...
    Psychic, Night Shade, Leech Life, Spider Web.  No room for Flash, though.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I don't remember if this is before or after Flash became an HM.

Reasons it's okay I'm not playing Pokémon; Defog being an HM, ever.
  • edited 2016-06-15 14:50:33
    I don't remember if this is before or after Flash became an HM.

Reasons it's okay I'm not playing Pokémon; Defog being an HM, ever.

Flash has always been an HM.

First gen's HMs: Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Flash.

Second gen's HMs: Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Flash, Whirlpool, Waterfall.

Anyway I think I'm going to go with Oddish and Spinarak.  Wanna get Spinarak out of the way now.  Also, Cut gives Oddish a pretty powerful workhorse attack move early on.

Holy crap I'll have like four poison types on my team.  Oddish, Spinarak, Gastly, and Zubat.
  • edited 2016-06-15 15:17:47
    Yeah this will be good.  So when I finally evolve Onix into Steelix, which happens at level 35, I'll switch it out for Ekans, who will get the Strength HM.  Ekans starts off with a cruddy workhorse attack -- Wrap -- so Strength will be far better.

I kinda like the term "workhorse attack".  Basically meaning that one attack that your mon keeps turning to just to get things done.  I dunno if anyone else has coined this term, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone else did.
    Spinarak
    ewww spiders
  • edited 2016-06-15 15:36:43
    Wait, Poison is no longer super-effective against Bug?  WTF?

Then again in gen 1 it had a weird relationship with Bug, where both Bug and Poison were super-effective against each other...just that Bug type moves rarely came up because they amounted to Leech Life (which was easily accessible only on a non-bug pokémon, Zubat -- yes, that confused little me for the longest time), Twinneedle (only accessible if you trained Beedrill), and Pin Missile (only accessible if you got a Jolteon, for some reason), so the Bug-on-Poison thing rarely showed up.  Though incidentally it could be exploited if you got a Zubat, since it resists Poison defensively but has a Bug move.

Paras/Parasect also has Leech Life but then presumably everyone ignored it because of its 4x weakness to both Fire and Flying.

Spinarak
    ewww spiders

4d7751522ce34a0131c5ae5acd49348c.600x.jpg
    brb dying
  • Gen 4 and onward turned Flash into a TM, specifically so you could delete it more easily.
  • edited 2016-06-15 18:08:29
    SEEN: Bulbasaur!  Now that I'm on the receiving end of a Bulbasaur...I'll send out the thing that annoys me when I have one: Zubat.

Wow, Picnicker Gina's Bulbasaur has pretty good special defense.  And it turns out that Dark type in gen 2 is all special.

SEEN: Snubbull.  Oh hey, look, it's another pokémon that flees.  Also has some weird moves -- Charm and Scary Look.
    SEEN: Abra.  Another fleer.  Time to put Gastly in the front of my lineup.

Hey Pokéfan Brandon, don't make your kid dress up in a silly pikachu costume unless they want to.

ACQUIRED: Snubbull
    ACQUIRED: Ditto

Apparently, Abra can use Teleport even if it has been Mean Look'd.
    Edit: That was because my Gastly switched out, ending Mean Look's effect.
    This is a problem, though, because my Gastly's Lick with OHKO the Abra.  I guess I need to hit it with Hypnosis.
  • edited 2016-06-15 18:09:29
    Fortunately, gen 2 introduced the Move Deleter, thus avoiding the shame of having your best mons with stuff like Cut because long ago it seemed like a good idea.
  • edited 2016-06-15 18:56:31
    ACQUIRED: Jigglypuff (wasted one pokéball)

Come to think of it, I should have thought of this earlier.

Gastly vs. Abra: Mean Look, Spite Spite Spite Spite Spite, run it out of Teleport.  used one (-1), -4, -4, -5, -4, -2...too bad, you can't escape now!

Oh damnit, now I have to deal with it using Struggle.

Red HP!  Fast Ball!  Captured!
    ACQUIRED: Abra

Time to reorganize these.
    Abra - 3 stage level
    Jigglypuff - 2 stage stone
    Snubbull - 2 stage level
    Ditto - completed
  • edited 2016-06-15 18:43:58
    (Psst, in gen 2 the Jigglypuff line is 3 stages: Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff.)
    I just learned about the "Move Pokémon" feature.  Wow.
    OH MY GOSH THIS IS SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT.
    Discount Pokémon Center: Use Bill's PC to put all party mons into a box, then take them back out.  Free HP/PP refill.
  • Yeah don't really bother with trying to Spite-spam an Abra.  You have a surprisingly good chance just from chucking a Great/Fast Ball on turn 1.  I guess sleep if you have it.