If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: Windows 8.1 doesn't allow users to change system fonts

edited 2015-12-26 20:59:53 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
I'm tired of dealing with sans-serif capital i and lowercase L confusion, but Windows won't let me do anything about it.

Looks like I'll have to dig into the registry editor for this, or something.

Comments

• ...You must lead an interesting life if you regularly run into instances of "l" and "I" where the distinction isn't clear from context.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ...You must lead an interesting life if you regularly run into instances of "l" and "I" where the distinction isn't clear from context.

The Hummingbird Anime Taste Tournament includes one contestant named Igeljaeger.
  • Illness. Iliana.
    Prisma Illya
    Ilya Sheyman
  • edited 2015-12-27 19:27:50
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

IllInoIs?

Wait, no, I have it: 

The IllIad!

• The Hummingbird Anime Taste Tournament includes one contestant named Igeljaeger.

1.) That's not ambiguous at all, it's really easy to tell which one is a captial I and which is a lowercase l.

2.) Why would Windows' system fonts even matter for something on a webpage?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Perhaps they wanted to make sure there will be no Comic Sans.
    DYRE wrote: »
    The Hummingbird Anime Taste Tournament includes one contestant named Igeljaeger.

1.) That's not ambiguous at all, it's really easy to tell which one is a captial I and which is a lowercase l.

2.) Why would Windows' system fonts even matter for something on a webpage?

It's a username and it is used in things like tab and window names.

Hummingbird uses a sans-serif font on its webpages.
  • edited 2015-12-28 06:33:36
    Would changing system fonts do anything to web pages? Those tend to have their own fonts set instead of following what I set for my system.
    I meant I wanted it to change the font on title bars and tab bars, since I can sometimes use those to determine username spellings when I can't use webpage fonts to do so.
  • I will say that I find the lack of customization options in Windows 8-10 to be kind of annoying, but this specific complaint strikes me as very silly.
    I will say that I find the lack of customization options in Windows 8-10 to be kind of annoying, but this specific complaint strikes me as very silly.

The broader issue of lack of customization in Win8+ is annoying, yes, and this is just a tiny piece of it.

I remember when my WinXP system looked really interesting because I'd basically gotten everything skinned.