If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Just voted. Eh heh heh eh heh. In the evening I'll tell you what are the exit poll results. Should be in circa seven hours, unless one of the booths has to stay open for a longer while.

Meanwhile, I have a question for you. What would you guys do? No doubt there'll be massive amounts of butthurt in various corners of the Internet. Would you go out to feed on it, or rather advise against that?

• Fuel it with transparent disinfo that falls under Poe's Law, but don't waste too much of your time on it. 
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I just wondered about reading. You know, whether or not should I feed my Schadenfreude, but no engaging. Since that troll-review I'm kinda shying away from active trolling. Bit of a bad trip, to use a drug metaphor. But don't get me wrong, thanks anyway.
  • Schadenfreude is fine, provided you don't minimize it and don't obtain a superiority complex from it. 
  • From that summary last page, I think I'd vote for the PSL or Nowoczesna.

I'd experience the moment as much as possible, it's not like elections happen every week.
  • edited 2015-10-25 19:04:42
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Update: there were also two or three parties and committees (I think the difference is, one is a full-blown party and the other is treated like one for convenience, but I won't swear by it), which I've missed out, because they are insignificant and haven't had representatives in any debate that I could register.

* "God bless you" Committee - the leader is a film researcher who is sort of like a cross between an internet troll and a religious right pundit (the fact he's consciously playing up the image of reactionary ultra-Catholic rightie doesn't mean he isn't one). After starting out in presidential elections, where he made quite an impression ("was Yoda a Jew?"), he gathered some folks and now starts in parliament elections.

* KNP - former party of the Korwin guy, now trying to stay afloat after the ponies followed their guru (it's like third or fourth he stranded this way). Not that they were afloat beforehand, but at least they could dream. Ideologically, no difference to speak of - technically one might expect there's much less insanity, now that he had left, but it's a fool's hope.

• edited 2015-10-25 21:23:12
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

EXIT POLLS!

So, these are the results, as they appear right now. In several days, we'll most probably have enough votes counted to not leave any doubts. These numbers might still change, and some parties hold one or another sort of boundary value. But if these results were to stay, here's what I can say:

PiS is the clear winner, as expected. If they ally with Kukiz - which they most probably will - they'll have almost 50%.  Neither Nowoczesna nor PSL are in good relations with them, but it's hard to expect they won't be able to get past the threshold. PO has a good result, but enough enmity build up between PO and PiS to expect they'll be anything but the opposition. (Edit: I have to clarify. I missed out on something, namely that when those percents are turned into seats in Sejm, it means PiS is capable of independent ruling, no coalition necessary. 242/460. That's quite a punch to everyone else. I'm striking out now-obsolete sentences.)  

PSL did surprise nobody - while the polls consequently predict they will fail, they just as consequently reach just past the threshold. They might try out a coalition with PiS, or wait until it fizzles out. When it comes to survival, you can't beat a peasant - even in politics.

Both Kukiz and Nowoczesna did better than I expected. While I'm significantly wary of Nowoczesna - they have the image of a party representing the interests of the folks the "we're the 99%" folks protest against - they might infuse just enough liberalism into Polish politics to make me happy. Also, that would undercut the ponies. Undercutting the ponies is something I'm always for. Kukiz's movement is rather populist, and may cause some problems for PiS, but it looks like they're the most likely ally. We will see what comes of them. I don't expect them being a big problem to PiS, but they might clash on issues such as economic policy or the proposed change to voting system. (Edit: Kukiz just said in a live interview he intends to enter no permanent coalition, only case-by-case.)

The left is the biggest loser - for what I think is the first time since '89, there is no left-wing party in the Parliament. Of the two leftist parties, Razem failed to reach the 5% threshold, but they got the 3% campaign refund threshold, so it's a comfortable loss. They made a name for themselves and might try the next time. Meanwhile, ZL must curse themselves for running as a coalition - the threshold for coalitions is 8%. If only they used the trick of placing the other parties' politicians on the list of the biggest of them, they'd get past 5%.

And finally, I'll laugh and laugh and laugh at the expense of ponies. Four point nine. Trolololo, ecks-de-de-de-de!

By sex (or gender, heh eh heh heh):

FEMALES - MALES

I leave party names as they are, since everyone can see what their acronyms are.

• Volunteered to be coffee/clean-up crew for an eve in the temporary refugee center here. I know Syria was modern, but I didn't expect the refugees to all have better phones than me.
  • ^^^ What do the red/black in the chart's values mean?
    ^^ Do y'all use political colours?
    Since you're stealing the show, now tell if they're all able-bodied young men out to colonize Europe.
  • It's a mix, I'd say 1/3 or so is the wolf-whistle-from-street-corner type in terms of age and body language, and they're pretty bro. I'd go for a beer with them(no Muslim that age cares about alcohol taboos). 

Back to Poland: doesn't that guy who speculates Yoda is Jewish know that Toydrians are the Space Jews of Star Wars?
  • edited 2015-10-25 22:30:21

"Was Yoda a Jew?"

"You said that. *wink wink*"

I don't know if his knowledge of SW universe is that detailed, but the dude once had a semi-(I hope)-serious rant about the Jedi and the Rebellion being the Star Wars equivalent of a nefarious left-wing media/former regime personnel conspiracy. I can re-watch it if you wish, then describe it more detailedly.

• Yay, election time.

Down here, there was a pretty big upset where the ruling, center left, party lost the biggest province governance to the slightly more center opposition. Also, nationwide, their expected blowout win was actually realy tight, which means there will be a second round.

Sadly, I have too few facebook contacts to properly laugh at both the glee and the butthurt.
  • edited 2015-10-26 18:07:51
    ^ What's that opposition like? I'm glad the kirchnerists aren't faring well but I dunno about the rest.
    On unrelated news, I've been venturing into the wonderful world of meta reddit. I feel like I've been missing so much, the rise and fall of communities, inter-subreddit dramas, etc., all those semi-autonomous communities together makes it somewhat of a massive IJBM+TVT+HH+BTL. Interesting stuff. Also I feel like I've been using reddit wrong by not paying attention to up/downvotes, which are apparently extremely important to people.
    On a more serious note, I wonder if I'm taking it a bit too far, I spent the whole weekend on it. Maybe that's not healthy?
    On a less serious note, with a few clicks you too can now have your own math paper.
  • >What's that opposition like?

Hard to say. They're more pro-market, which is generally good. Sadly, this country gets touchy when you talk about capitalism, so it'll have to go slowly. Also, we're coming down from Cristina's Happy Fun Ride, so there's obviouly going to be some adjustments, plus possibly recession. Hopefully it'll be counteracted by the global economy's postive outlook in the prospects of negotiation and trading with this new government...

.... If they win, which hasn't actually happened yet.

One of the funnier new PMs is a rapper, one of the pioneers of the style in Poland. As you would expect, he's one of Kukiz's folks. He was quite popular in the Nineties, but his most memorable piece - "I Wanna Fuck" - is from 2002.

Also, waiting for full results. They screwed something up with votes cast by ex-pats living in London, and so we have to wait till ten o'clock. Surprisingly, the old left steadily rose as more and more votes were counted, and by now they even have a slim chance of passing through. Korwin-Mikke's guys are chewing their nails as well, as they have good standing in that demographic.

Official results:

PiS - 37, 58 proc.
    PO - 24,09 proc.
    Razem - 3,62 proc. 
    KORWiN - 4,76 proc.
    PSL - 5,13 proc.
    ZL - 7,55 proc.
    Kukiz'15 - 8,81 proc.
    Nowoczesna - 7,6 proc.

Oh, and there's a single representative from the German minority (they don't have to reach the threshold).

• >batch of refugees get a more permanent settlement in hometown
    >news article comments section is actually full of genuine nazi's
    >tell them to stop focusing on internet arguments as FB is run by the Chosen People and they're only turning themselves in
    >it nets likes
    >no posts afterwards
    How to stop WN types from fouling up a comments section: tell them comments sections are a Jewish conspiracy.

I was never able to pull it off, alas. Tried recently to convince people high rape rate in Sweden is not immigrant criminality but feminist abuse of power. Didn't work.

In other news: today I realized I'm most likely the eldest of all who've come to a meeting of members of a students' club I belong to, and that includes folks with multiple repeated years. It just happened out of nowhere. Darn, I feel old.

• I just got out of a Blind Guardian concert and it was awesome and also I am temporarily incapable of hearing or speech.

So I'm driving my car, there's a bit of a jam 'cause the road's long and red light holds for a while, and there's this piece of shit cutting in line. No way. I bumped the bastard, not enough to scratch his car even. He walks out, smartphone in hand, looks like the image of liberal-minded businessman, asshole. Took some photos. I tell him everything is under control, so he's like, it isn't if I bumped into his WORTH NINETY THOUSAND car. So I tell him, it is indeed, I did intend it. Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Went pretty pissed. Threatened me with cops, tough guy. Heh heh heh. I was quite convinced it's not like he could do anything (even checked again - not a spot of dirt on either bumper, I tell ya), but I didn't have time for fun'n'games, so I don my best trollface and tell him, sure mate, sorry for that. Seems like he bought it. Told me to drive safely while getting in his NINETY THOUSAND car. Thank you very much, mate, I don't always drive safely, but sometimes it's on purpose.

/toughguy

True story, if a bit colorised. Actually I wasn't as trolltastic as I'd prefer in such circumstances, but telling the story makes me feel better about it. I kinda wonder what are the guy's feelings on the topic. I would certainly feel unfulfilled if he was convinced he "won", but if I ruined a part of his day or at least made him feel trolled, that would alleviate the second thoughts.

• You can change. You can.
    so guys how about that historical karaoke theater show huh

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So apparently the library closes an hour earlier today than I expected.

Shouldn't have bought these fries.
    Could've been worse - imagine how much earlier would they close if you had ordered fish to go with the chips.
  • lrdgck wrote: »
    Could've been worse - imagine how much earlier would they close if you had ordered fish to go with the chips.
    Fuck you I laughed.

^ you're welcome.

Like, yesterday I learned of wizardchan. Wizard Revolution makes perfect sense now. Not to mention, I know I have a place to go when you guys grow tired of me, heh heh.

• It is supposed to be Beta Uprising(a name much better suited to the rebellion that will come when peeps finally get enough of buggy releases). 
    > know former mayor and political party leader in town I used to live in, on Facebook
    > he wishes me happy birthday (my birthday was on Oct 31)
    > respond Nov 2 asking him how the town is doing
    > Nov 3 election
    > opposing party takes over town council

awkward
    The high-school boy's basketball team has won three consecutive Class
    2-A Alaska championships. Basketball became popular before a gymnasium
    was built, and passing became important as dribbling was difficult on
    makeshift courts and on snow. An up-tempo, skillful passing game has
    characterized play since then
    by the Harpooners and Harponerettes, as the boys and girls teams are known, enabling them to beat rival schools from districts with much larger population bases.[10]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Hope,_Alaska

Pretty awesome.