If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: powerful monsters (e.g. bosses) making a pointless threat display before attacking

in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
"GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" *FLEXES MUSCLES*

No, if you're so damn powerful and threatening, why don't you just come and attack me already.

Oh, you're not?  Well I'm just going to go smack you while you do your silly little thing.

Well, crud.  Your silly little thing is a cutscene and I can't move.  Damnit game why do you have to be silly like this.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    No, see, if you have a powerful creature that's as mindless as to just go and attack me anyway, only an idiotic construct-maker or whatever would program in a threat display along with it just to give me some time to prepare.

On the other hand, if we're talking about some elite version of a natural creature that's just defending its turf, it would do a threat display, but on the other hand it wouldn't go and attack me unless I got really close and threatened it.  And it likely wouldn't leave the nest that it's guarding just to take a swipe at me.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Are you replying to your own post?
    No, just making an addendum, though I sometimes have a tendency to write as if I were speaking to others.
  • edited 2015-10-09 06:56:40
    [user deleted]
    Kraken wrote: »
    It's called "telegraphing," you fuck.

There's other ways to do it, you fuck.
  • It's the developer's way of subtly hinting that you're a horrible person who runs around slaughtering innocent wildlife that were just trying to defend their nests.  They only eat people on the side!

I guess it does make sense in some scenarios.  Like a lot of sci-fi games will have the local wildlife under the influence of some kind of contagious ick that makes them go berserk, so random threat displays and going out of their way to attack things wouldn't be out of the question.
  • Because not every video game has to make completely logical sense. :/

My god, you're nitpicky. :/
  • edited 2015-10-02 21:31:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Nah, it's just something I've noticed in a large number of games.  Possibly because the existence of 3D models allows devs to do that unlike in the old days when you'd just have a static graphic or a few sprite frames and thus it'd look more stylized and less like it was actually happening in real time.

I mean, it's basically the same thing as a Mega Man boss having an opening animation.  Just that that looks less out of place since it looks less "realistic" context-wise.

And I just felt like complaining because this is IJBM lol
  • LaiLai
    edited 2015-10-02 21:40:11
    Pretty sure it's still nitpicky. :V
    Still not getting your logic.

I don't get the complaint about the posing in real-time at all.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    If you're playing any turn-based JRPG after like... 2003 literally every battle is just time being wasted by CG animations.

If bosses had no cool intro sequences, they might as well end the dungeon with a mook.

Related; the boss' "I am about to murder you" animation is actually a chance for you to block in Ni no Kuni.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Telegraphs are incredibly important in pretty much any game with a real-time, action-oriented combat system. It means that you and your opponents aren't just judging ranges and angles, but intent to attack. The only way I can think of out of this would be a stance system, wherein each combatant has a number of stances that represent two or three attacks without a telegraph. That way, you at least know that you're accounting for a limited set of possibilities.