If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: Wasting food

edited 2015-09-13 04:18:06 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Flatmate has just finished this Cup Noodles.  A handful of carrot pieces and noodle scraps, left over from a Cup Noodles, are in the sink.

Me: "You don't like carrots?"
Flatmate: "Huh?"
Me: "Oh, I just saw that you poured them out."
Flatmate: "Oh, I just didn't want to eat the carrots this time, because they got cold."

Me, displayed reaction: "Uh...well, whatever."
Me, desired reaction: "Do I have to watch you to make sure you finish your food even when you make Cup Noodles?"

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Earlier scenario:

Flatmate wants to make some fried rice.  The recipe he finds online calls for some broccoli.
    He asks me for some broccoli.  I have some frozen broccoli, so I give him some.
    He heats them in the microwave.
    He then cuts off the crowns.  He asks me if I want the stems.
    "Wait, you don't eat the stems?"
    "No, I don't."
    "Yeah, sure, I'll take them."
    An aunt of mine, my mom's sister, frequently buys leafy vegetables.  Like, Chinese broccoli a.k.a. "gai lan".

Before cooking them, she removes all the leaves.

The stems are pan-fried with sauce.

The leaves are dumped in the trash.

In case you're wondering, the leaves are perfectly edible.
    Friend picks up burger from the burger station at an all-you-can-eat dining hall.

He does not like tomato.  So, he takes the slice of tomato out, and throws it in the trash.

"I'd have taken the tomato if you asked me!"
  • Having unwanted types of food in my meal isn't a problem whenever I make something at home, since everything I actually cook is stuff that you make from scratch and I never bother with any canned stuff.

If I eat out I'll usually ask for them to not include the kind of things I'm not interested in (e.g. coleslaw) while hoping my pickiness isn't too annoying for them.

I used to be much worse about wasting food, but try very hard to avoid doing it these days.
  • Accurate IJBM title: "Looking for a new flatmate or a murder kit, whatever's easier"
  • Aye, I do end up wasting food because of my pickiness. :/