If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

[Upgrade Complete] Upgrading to Vanilla 2.1

edited 2015-01-28 06:32:47 in IJBM meta
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So, for various reasons (such as security updates and also the fact that Vanilla will stop supporting 2.0), @Unknown_Entity is exploring the possibility of moving IJBM to Vanilla 2.1.

Vanilla 2.1 looks and functions somewhat differently from the current Vanilla 2.0, though.  For an example of this, see Heapers' Hangout, at http://heapershangout.com/ .

What important features do you want to see kept in the update?  This will tell us what features UE needs to keep (or re-hack into Vanilla), and what features don't matter.

What I know of Vanilla 2.1 so far:

* it has a third gender choice by default.  It's not called "classified" the way we have it, though that can be easily changed.

* Vanilla 2.1 doesn't have detailed timestamps by default, but UE has been able to restore that.

* Vanilla 2.1 doesn't show avatar changes and gravedancing opportunities role changes in the Activity feed by default, but UE has been able to restore both of those as well.

* Vanilla 2.1 has a feature where you can type "/me does something" and it'll end up in your post header next to your line.  This text is larger than normal text, but that can be changed.  It also makes your post blank.

* Youtube videos are no longer auto-embedded.  Instead, an image of a video embed is posted; clicking this image causes the image to change to an embedded video.  I think this lets pages load faster.

Things I want to see

* keep feature: ability to tab to Post Comment button.  Tabbing through the interactable objects on a thread at current IJBM lets me hit it twice and be on the Post Comment button, and then I just press enter to post.  On HH, which has upgraded to Vanilla 2.1, this no longer works.

* new bugfix: pagination problem.  It seems that 2.1 still hasn't fixed that thing where if you have an unread comment at the bottom of a page of a thread, followed by other unread comments, it will just take you to the top of the next page.

* keep feature: BBCode and togglebox.  (Already done I think.)

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Would be fun if the search function worked, but I do not insist.

• edited 2015-01-20 18:31:51
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Technically, I have sphinx working on here; whether it actually works better or not I dunno.

Might just consider rerouting that box to just use google with site:itjustbugsme.com prolly easier and much less load :p

• @Unknown_Entity I'd like to shamelessly steal your code for the timestamps and avatar Activity when you get the chance.

(I'm just playin', we'll give you credit.)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Seems like the pagination problem has been fixed, and it's also possible to tab to the Post Comment button too.

So what sort of theme would y'all like?  Unfortunately it seems that defaultsmarty1 (how we get our current color scheme) isn't around anymore.

Here are some choices -- many pages of them: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/themes/recent

Note that we can choose different mobile and non-mobile themes.

FYI, UE plans on doing the update sometime this weekend.

Also, the current comment editor is not available for Vanilla 2.1.  We could switch back to the old CLEditor, an allegedly somewhat improved version of the old CLEditor, or no special editor at all.  If we do no editor, BBCode will still be enabled so you can say stuff like [ b ] [ / b ] and [ quote ] [ / quote ] (without the spaces of course), and you can use some basic HTML markkup.  How would people feel about that?  Or would y'all prefer to have an editor with clickable formatting?

• Or would y'all prefer to have an editor with clickable formatting?

Who wouldn't?

• Can we just hyperlink to stuff as a courtesy? It gets tiring having to drag URLs to my address bar...

CLEditor still works for us over at HH, despite the fact that the super- and sub-script options are still, for whatever reason, non-functional.

• edited 2015-01-23 16:58:49
    It's a current bug that links are not auto-hyperlinked past the first line. I'll check to make sure this bug isn't in the new editor.

Naas_Human wrote:

Or would y'all prefer to have an editor with clickable formatting?

Who wouldn't?

Consudering that CLEditor has trouble handling newlines properly in pasted text, and I can apply formatting far faster by typing markup than by clicking buttons, I don't.

Though I guess I should also check this bug of CLEditor too...because if it were fixed, then having an editor would be strictly better than not having one.
  • edited 2015-01-24 20:15:27

Oh, I just remembered, there's one more thing about Vanilla 2.1 that is sorta weird compared to the way we've done things here up to now.  Vanilla 2.1 handles new posts and already-read threads in strange ways.  Let me write up a comparison...

• edited 2015-01-24 20:41:40

Current:

Thread you've never read (i.e. it has unread posts): "# new" indication
    Thread you've read part of: "# new" corresponding to the number of posts you haven't read
    Thread you've read all posts of: no special indication
    Thread you created: background color highlight for that thread's entry in the "All Discussions" list.

How Vanilla 2.1 does it (or at least, how HH has it currently):

Thread you've never read: no special indication
    Thread you've only read the first post of: no special indication
    Thread you've read all the posts of: un-bolded title and background color highlight for that thread's entry in the "Recent Discussions" list (new name for "All Discussions")
    Thread that you've read after it gets comments, but it now has new unread posts: "# new" indication
    Thread that you've read after it gets comments, and then it got some new posts, and you've just now read some but not all of them: un-bolded title and background color hightlight (as if you had read all the new posts)...and leaving that thread and returning will bring you to the last post, not the last post you hadn't read.

TL;DR version:

Basically, 2.1 tracks whether you've ever read a thread.  It ONLY shows new post notifications if you've read a thread.  (It doesn't do this perfectly -- reading a thread before it gets responses counts as not having read it.)  It uses unbolding and highlighting to show you you've read a thread.  And it ignores whether you started a thread, except for pop-up notifications.

Furthermore, if you read only some of the new posts in a thread, it counts you as having read all of them.

There are multiple problems with the second system.  I'm going to see how much UE can fix of it.  In the meantime, you might want to give suggestions for keeping or improving it.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

I've fixed basically all of the above - pretty sure that covers the remaining major issues with 2.1, so I'll likely be running the update probably tomorrow night around like, midnight (EST) or so. Don't really expect it to take too long, maybe like a half hour or so, depending how much it decides to be an ass to me.

laughing-donkey.jpg 2.1

Dat ass needs his jaw fixed.

Actually I think equines chew by grinding things left/right.

• edited 2015-01-28 06:32:22

Alright, upgrade appears to be good now; lemme know if any weird bugs crop up.

Also, I like things magically working on here and not the test board. It causes so much thinking you're on magic mushrooms.

wheeeeeeee~
  • How'd you get the smaller Quote button?
    It just kinda came like that in the plugin.  What'd it do to you?
    test
  • edited 2015-01-28 07:36:09
    So it looks like everything works now.

We can change the colors, of course.
    test

test

test
  • edited 2015-01-28 10:33:55
    Oh right, forgot one thing. Those of you with classified set need to reset it; the internal letter changed to match what Vanilla uses now.
    Actually, scratch that, I just blanket applied classified to those without a gender set (as it seemed to even remove the old letter anyway), so check your profile settings to make sure it took properly.
  • edited 2015-01-28 12:29:47
    test
    test
    Edit: There's no edit timestamp. Personally I don't like them, but now you know.
    Except for the colours, I like the interface much more. Thank you!
    Edit edit: Nevermind, it's above in a place where it doesn't annoy.
    Edit edit edit: Whoo, you can now check your profile without deleting your notifications.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Looks like works fine for the most part, worst I can say is some minor stuff might benefit from a bit of fixing. The colours, though. Can they be a bit less bright?
  • Why do I have a box with the number 1 on my account options button?
  • edited 2015-01-28 16:59:43
    Looks like it's for Applicants, for us mods.
  • Bug that may not be a bug: When you go to a thread is about to have a new page, you go to that new, empty page. (I'm guessing it must have no new posts.)
  • a little muffled
    My globe thing has a number 20 on it but when I click it it says I have no notifications???

Okay now that I clicked it once the number is gone. But that's still kinda weird.
  • a little muffled
    Also it looks like custom titles other than GMH's have disappeared.
  • edited 2015-01-28 20:34:18
    ...Well, that's odd. It only shows the title for the thread OP.  Will have to see wtf else Vanilla changed and fix that. Found it, fixed it. Minor name change on something in the plugin code.