If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2014-11-19 18:26:08
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

The whining is strong with this one.

Seriously, it was never my intention to laugh at or aggravate anyone in here, especially RedEyedAbyss. (Well, okay. Depending on how you interpret "aggravate".) I guess I could've avoided using the former of those two arguments. But it's just, you know. Folks at seduction community publish books on how to bed women most successfully and I'm the stuck-up prude bad guy. Celebrity sells photos of her butt and nobody complains. But some nerd shows up in public in a silly shirt and everybody suddenly acts like he admitted to being the new Hitler.

edit: mhhhm-hmmm, so it seems I was wrong on the former. There appears to be at least some outcry. I'm glad to see that.   

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is it bad that I would have had the exact same reaction if that guy wore a shirt featuring pictures of shirtless musclemen?

That reaction being "I pretty much don't care one bit."

• The PUAs whose game is more rape-ish do lead to outcry. The butt photos lead to plenty of hurrdurr slore on the hashtags. But yeah, if even radfems agree things are getting out of hand, you know something's gone very, very wrong: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/18/feminism-rosetta-scientist-shirt-dapper-laughs-julien-blanc-inequality

The idea to donate to charity is going to happen anyway, probs, because who the hell accepts an 18k watch in this type of situations, but it certainly won't stem from a dead hashtag.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

It wouldn't be the same GMH, because musclebound men are a POWER FANTASEH and curvaceous women are a SEXUAL FANTASEH, so they can't be supposedly comparable.

• edited 2014-11-20 10:45:34

I think it's a legitimate point, but (at least for me) the line between those two fantasies is too blurry, I mean, what's the difference between this and this?

• I remember someone posting a picture of a muscular dude carrying a woman on the cover of a (presumably male-oriented) comic book, next to a muscular dude carrying a woman on the cover of a (presumably female-oriented) romance novel.

Not sure if they really had a point, though.

The point I think is that different motives have the same end result: Musclebound men as idealized for both women and for men. For men is to make them feel like they are the musclebound men while for the women they are a sexual idealized partner.

And so follows that the distinction between sexual object and powerful self-insert becomes meaningless in the face of such characters. And as such the idea that musclebound men are exclusively purview of male power fantasies is not true.

• a little muffled
    The difference is that society treats women's bodies as objects that exist only to satisfy the desires of straight men, and the shirt reinforces that. A shirt with even highly sexualized pictures of men cannot be harmful in the same way.

For what it's worth I don't really think the shirt is all that big of a deal really and some of the criticism may have gone too far, but as usual the reaction to the reaction is much more horrifying than the original problem.

Reacting in outrage at the shirt solves no problems, and that is my issue. It only fuels sentiments of righteous indignation. It doesn't help any women to get into STEM fields, it doesn't help men to understand women's pligh, it only makes them henpecked and shames them, and I reiterate: Guilt tripping is a tactic that is full of religious associations on the west. You can't say "this objectifies women and you should feel bad about using it" when you and the rest of your group are filled to the brim with agnostics and atheists. It only makes you look like a fucking cult of self-shaming.

^ Wait what?  re the religion thing.  I don't get what you mean.

Many feminism and social justice circles tend to in their zeal for not holding positions that hurt the oppressed engage in constant tests of ideological purity, shaming and guiltripping offending member that don't hold positions that conform to the ideologically pure, engaging in cultish behavior. I might just be rambling nonsense now.

• edited 2014-11-21 07:37:16
    There is love everywhere, I already know
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

IJBM: when you watch a trailer for a film involving Nazi Reptilians riding dinosaurs inside the hollow Earth, and you realize you spent enough time in your childhood on pseudo-occult crap to get all the references.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:04:16

[user deleted]

For some reason I suddenly am thinking of eating fried chicken, despite not being hungry.

• Seriously, it was never my intention to laugh at or aggravate anyone in here, especially RedEyedAbyss. (Well, okay. Depending on how you interpret "aggravate".)

Eh, it wasn't you. It's just that there tends to be ignorance involved when a virtually all male community talks about women's issues. The only thing I was peeved by was when you brought up not hearing about sexism in real life, and that's because, well, my peeved reaction had to do with friends of mine. In any case, I saw that as more ignorance than malice.

In any case, I didn't care for the topic since the bloke apologized sincerely and was just clueless about his fashion choices. I'm an idiot with regards to emotional sensitivity myself, so who am I to judge his character on that? Also, I'm not sure how much of the supposed uproar can be attributed to hostile media effect.

• I began learning to draw (again).
  • K-Pop seems to have broken into the mainstream here, will report on future developments of the invasion.

• edited 2014-11-26 09:59:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think over the past couple of days I've watched pretty much every video by Wildlife Aid.

Conclusions:

Badgers seem relatively docile.  Hedgehogs are even more docile.  On the other hand, deer are high-strung as FUCK.

• edited 2014-11-26 10:16:22

Day 4: Can draw Sonichu.

Next target: Can draw Kirby.

K-Pop seems to have broken into the mainstream here, will report on future developments of the invasion.

We've had K-Soap-Operas for a while here.

You mean K-Dramas. Uncultured SWINE.

The local national broadcasting channel has been broadcasting K-Dramas for a while now.

• Secondhand statistics and SCIENCE! to toss at folks if you enter any Ferguson debate: http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/25/race-and-justice-much-more-than-you-wanted-to-know/

• edited 2014-11-26 15:54:26
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

An ad on the right:

MealSquares - Nutritionally complete! Magic Rational Optimized Internet food!

Holy shit. 

----

edit: http://www.theawl.com/2012/05/roman-emperor-deaths - this is fun. 

• edited 2014-11-27 15:51:37

A few posts ago:

and Steve Tom Sawyer was abused and kicked out of his house by his GF's drunk friends after they'd read the news on the whole controversy and heard his stance. It's mostly unrelated to the incident, but they chose it as a justification to abuse him, so it will be used as ammo akin to this:

Yeah, about that...

Prominent GG supporter Steve Tom Sawyer (former co-host of Milo's "Radio Nero" podcast) revealed to be a scam artist and pathological liar.

"A week ago" he claimed that friends of his girlfriend physically assaulted him and threw him out of her home because he supported GamerGate, but he also had said earlier that SHE wanted him out several days before that.

they did not even throw him out of her home. he actually waited the whole thing out (those tiny asian girls against one giant of a man, no chance - his words paraphrased). got evicted a couple of days later, somehow he had not read his eviction notice.

I don't have the time to look into great detail, since it takes a lot more energy to refute bullshit compared to producing it (hence why I'm only quoting the summary comments).

• edited 2014-11-27 20:11:46
    Diet NEET

Yeah, I read that article already. Disgusting, and worse, a deterrent to any male victims of true abuse. 

In brighter news, looks like they accidently conjured ethics after all in the pluritude of OPs: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2nlbuu/important_ftc_update_3_yes_we_hit_pay_dirt_gawker/

• Gawker is crap anyway.

• edited 2014-11-27 23:09:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Dangit dangit dangit dangit

My landlords are out of town for Thanksgiving...so their neighbor invited me to Thanksgiving dinner.  On Tuesday.

Somehow I had missed her voicemail the entire time.  Until now.  It's 11 PM, on the evening of Thanksgiving day.

I just called her back hurriedly to apologize for missing it.

i feel so bad

• Oh right, you guys have thanksgiving this month. It's the season for forgiveness, I think they'll understand.