If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Videogame Music thread.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The Astebreed soundtrack is cool.

• edited 2014-08-16 23:46:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That is quite cool.

What game is that from, this "Tsugunai" thing?  It appears to be a PS2 JRPG I've never heard of.

And why is the album called "an cinniùint"?

• Beats me. All I know is that it was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, who did the music for Xenogears and the Chrono series. He has a really distinctive style, and you can kind of hear that here.

Yeah; he has kind of a modal folk style, a little like Yuki Kajiura, though without the choirs.

• Another underrated track:

Question for pondering: Should iDOLM@STER music count as game music, anisong, or J-pop?

This remix...just so well enhances that chaotic, playful, showy, evil deliciousness of the original track...

• I loved the entire soundtrack to this game, really, but holy shit.

• edited 2014-12-02 18:06:53

It took me a while but I finally figured out a little bit of weirdness.  I've been wanting to get the music for Ikachan for a while now, but I thought it was in Organya (ORG) format, which Cave Story is in, but it isn't.

Ikachan, the spiritual predecessor to Cave Story, does not use organya or pxtone format.  It uses piyopiyo format, which is sort of a spiritual predecessor to organya.

Here is the program to create/edit them, and also another one for playback: http://www.cavestory.org/pixels-works/piyopiyo.php

Problems:

1. Neither program can open a file that's fed to it by a file association.  (Old ORG Maker had this problem too.)

2. PiyoPiyo (the creation program) forces fullscreen.

3. PiyoPiyo uses something less than 32-bit colors.  But since it forces fullscreen, changing the Compatibility settings in Win7 doesn't do anything.

4. PiyoPiyo Player plays everything back slightly too fast.

Ikachan's music is beautiful.  It is absolutely gorgeous and adorable.  The programs to work with its native format, however, are severely ugly.

In other news, though, there's a version 2.1.0 for ORG Maker now.  And it even opens files fed to it by file association (i.e. open with org maker or set the file association and double click).  Looks nicer than v.1.3.4 too.  I might actually try using it sometime.

• Stuff like this is why I love the music in the Kirby series so much.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I have noticed I haven't posted it yet. You probably already know of System Shock 2 when it comes to game music, but I figure it never hurts to post. "MedSci 1" is also a great tune, the rest of 'em were like more mood-building than to listen outside of the game, but that's not to say they're worse.

• Oh man... the way this song gets me pumped up. This is why Rare made such great music back then.
    ^ I've heard a lot of good things about the Killer Instinct soundtrack.

In other news, I really need to get around to doing something about my idea of combining "Take Care" from Gradius:

with the boss theme from Magic Knight Rayearth:

AND with Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven is a Place on Earth".
  • edited 2015-08-28 05:05:09
    I wonder how Elder Xelpud would feel about this.

• Here's Maya's theme from the Ace Attorney series, "Turnabout Sisters".

Want to hear it done by an orchestra? You're in luck!

• edited 2015-09-18 22:49:00
    https://github.com/droidmjt/Droidsound

This is an Android player capable of playing a variety of videogame formats, including apparently NES, GBS, USF, GSF, 2SF, and more.

And it can play indefinitely too.  This isn't in the settings, but is something that can be selected on the fly by tapping the playlist order button on the playback screen until it goes to infinite playback, then loading the track again.

It can't open individual files directly, but you can have it add your music folder as a scanned database.

Edit: Just checked: SSF (Saturn), PSF (PS1), and DSP (GameCube) all work too.

Edit: Can't loop .OGG or .OGG.SLI unforunately.
  • edited 2015-11-25 04:09:09
    Pushing Onwards + Positive Force =

• BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-26 06:18:13
  • edited 2016-09-21 01:02:32
    La-Mulana's soundtrack exists in three forms: a chiptune version, which was used in the original version of the game; an "arrange version" which was separately made by the composer; and a remake version that was used in the remake version of the game.

The chiptune versions can be found on Youtube as "La-Mulana OSV".  The arrange versions are not well-represented on Youtube but can sometimes be found as "La-Mulana (Arranged)".  The remake versions can be found as "La-Mulana OST".

My favorite versions the tracks for each area:

0 - Mr. Explorer - chiptune version (I was always partial to this relatively plain version of the track)
    1 - Fearless Challenger - remake version (sounds the grandest)
    2 - Grand History - remake version (this is the better of the two versions with the intro and the swing rhythm)
    8 - Primitive Dance - chiptune version (the only version that has that distinctive riff at 1:52)
    3 - Sacred Tomb - chiptune version (this version sounds the most subtly mysterious)
    4 - Curse of Iron Pipe / Curse of Ocean - chiptune version (or maybe remake version) (all versions are pretty good but chiptune version has the cleanest instrumentation)
    5 - Inferno - arrange version (this one has the best intro, and the instrumentation sounds the most heavy metal)
    7 - Grand Ritual - arrange version (this one sounds the most deliciously twisted of all three versions)
    6 - M.U. - chiptune version (the stench of death is strongest with the rougher chiptune instruments)
    3* - Moonlight Dance - arrange version (the most subtly playful of the three)
    2* - Giant's Cry - chiptune version (this sounds the most hardcore/heavy, which I think is the really distinctive feature of this track because it's very rare that such an instrumentation is used for an ice area)
    1* - Wonder of the Wonder - arrange version (this sounds the most evil) or chiptune version (this sounds the most claustrophobia-inducing)
    5* - GIGA-MAGMA - remake version (this one sounds the most mechanical)
    9 - Mother will be awaken - I'm not sure, actually, none of them feel all that convincing...but then again the area and the music are sorta there to be ominous
    4* - Sky Tower - chiptune version (the higher-frequency noises evoke the mosquito-sounds of television sets, which dot this area)
    6* - Song of Curry - arrange version, probably (sounds the most like a lively folk dance)
    8* - Death Game - chiptune or remake version (this track requires a prominent and consistent percussion beat, which is what drives the intensity)
    9¤ - Awakening - chiptune (the deep bass and lack of "bells and whistles" drives home the profundity of the track)
  • edited 2016-09-21 02:01:55
    If we're talking about La-Mulana again, here's a cool remix:

• Somehow Mega Man X guitars manage to make literally everything better:

• Here, have some kind of Australian Riverdance.

Zennistrad wrote: »
    If we're talking about La-Mulana again, here's a cool remix:

Nice!

I see they kept the "dialogue" that was introduced in the remake version (though it still feels less tense than it should in this remix...).

That track has been treated pretty well.  The original chiptune version is decent, but the arranged version adds the guitar solo, and the remake version changes the guitar solo to be a multisolo for guitar, synth, violin+guitar, synth, violin+guitar, etc.