If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• My arms are falling off!

Speaking of Castlevania, is there a damning reason for why Castlevania Bloodlines has yet to see a Virtual Cosole release, while CastlevaniaSimon's QuestDracula's CurseSuper Castlevania, and Rondo of Blood have all put in a release on VC?

• edited 2014-09-30 20:46:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Bloodlines is a Genesis game.

I'm not even sure which way to bet if you compared a VC release to a Steam release (note that Sega's back-catalogue is on Steam -- and yes, I know this is Konami, not Sega, but still).

• Why do people pay $30, $60, even $100 for virtual weapons in CS:GO?

Because frat boys.

By that same logic, Gunstar Heroes, Gley Lancer, and the like shouldn't be on VC either.

• Why do people pay $30, $60, even $100 for virtual weapons in CS:GO?

Because it makes their experience more enjoyable? For bragging rights? To drive up prices in order to then sell it for a profit?

• a little muffled

Man, why is the default mode in Smash still time? Does anyone actually not play stock?

• Time is more accessible/inclusive since with stock, you can potentially have one or two players sitting out of the game for quite a while, depending on everyone's relative skill levels.

Probably.

• a little muffled

I guess that kinda makes sense; it's been a long time since I've played with more than two humans.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Me and my friends almost always play stocks, and our varied skill levels do are leveled by the lack of time limit.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-weird-ecomomics-behind-steam-prices-around-the-world/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_281199#page-1

A bunch of handy information about how digital game pricing works, especially on Steam.  Some topics covered:

* currency exchange rates, and how prices tend to be "locked in" to the exchange rate at the time they were released (as long as no one changes them afterwards)

* some places have VAT (value-added tax, which means sales tax), such as the EU and UK, which is included in the Steam store price

* competition with physical distributors -- and the price points they set before digital distribution was a thing -- puts pressure to keep price low in Russia and high in Japan

* Steam suggests price points to publishers (no further elaboration on what they are or how they are determined); indie publishers tend to use these suggestions

* AAA publishers tend to use frameworks they're used to, such as 10/7/7 or 10/7/10 ratios (for USD/GBP/EUR)

Picked back up Rune Factory 4. Getting more into it now that I've gotten to the Water Ruins.

Also I hosted a fishing festival and forgot to register until around 5:20 PM, so that 13 or so fish that could've gotten me tied for first? Never happened.

Oh well, at least I have sashimi.

• edited 2014-10-08 05:23:04

Splatoon

holy shit, i want this

it's like paintball x TF2 x squid girl

dangit, nintendo, stop making games that i really want to have *pouts*

light blue ink = squid girl (ika musume)

blue ink = atlas

orange ink = p-body

aqua/turquoise ink = miku

pink ink = luka

purple ink = ???

off-neon-green ink = ???

• Looks fun.

purple ink = ???

Yukari Yakumo

off-neon-green ink = ???

Slimer, maybe?

• edited 2014-10-08 07:54:20

Slimer seems like a nice choice.

And what about neon yellow ink?

• edited 2014-10-08 15:10:32

Yeah, Splatoon looks fun.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Wii U or want to buy one just for one game, and I don't really like playing multiplayer games in the first place (at least with people I don't know).  And it seems that, since this is a modern game and modern gamers aren't expected to want to play games with actual physical other people, it won't have a proper local multiplayer mode. So basically I'll never play it. Too bad.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:11:33

[user deleted]

Super Mario 3D World is the other reason I want a WiiU at this point.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:11:30

[user deleted]

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Steam added support for Canadian dollars a couple days ago, which added ~$2 to my wallet, but also made most of the games on my wishlist $1-3 pricier. A few games stayed the same price, though (one $10, one $15, one $50).

• Fuck Stage 5 of CastleVania.

Taking a break before I get too stressed out.

• Are you trying to do it without the Triple Shot Holy Water trick?

• LaiLai
    edited 2014-10-10 17:49:35

No. I died before I could even do it. I'm not good enough to fight Death normally.

More often than not, it's the trip to Death that does me in. Annoyed by the hallway of Axe Armors and Medusa Heads and the occasional red skeleton who sometimes refuses to get out of the way of the stairs.

• For me, the trick was to maintain forward momentum, since if you keep moving forward, it's easier to jump over the Medusa heads.

• Thanks for the advice then. I feel it did help.

As for the game, I feel like I have improved somewhat. Even if I did cheese Death in the end.

• edited 2014-10-11 00:42:27

Smash has weird momentum effects.

it also doesn't use the d-pad for directional movement.

why

it just wants to torture my left thumb doesn't it

• edited 2014-10-11 09:41:01

idea for thought:

JRPG battle system with HP and MP, but where:

* HP going to zero (or some other minimum, such as a negative number) does not require a special item to reverse.  (For example, if someone

* MP is recovered (only?) by beating enemies.

* MP going to zero means character is unrevivably dead.

* Enemy attacks do MP damage.

inspired by:

• edited 2014-10-11 10:14:51

alternative/additional ideas, also inspired by madomagi:

* (auto?)revive with high MP cost

* (auto?)drain MP for healing (but items and healing magic might do it faster?)

* spells cost as temporary HP loss (recovered automatically for free)?  (sounds kinda like stamina)

(above inspired by  )

* beaten enemies give MP recovery items rather than automatic MP recovery

• I have a theory: any gamer can be made to look fake if you put them out of their comfort genre.

In my case, I am very experienced in platformers, puzzles, rhythm games, etc. I even have pulled off several no-miss runs. However, I look like a total noob if you put a first-person shooter right in front of me.

Also, if you think you're hardcore, try Candy Crush.

I'm not even sure what kind of game I'm great at.  I mean, I haven't LLG'd FFVI, I can't 1cc RefleX or eXceed 3rd, I can barely beat Super Mario Bros. even with warps, I haven't developed any super awesome placement strat for Desktop Tower Defence, I don't know how to rocket-jump in TF2, and I can't finish Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance in near-record time.

So I guess I just never had a pretense that I'm hardcore anyway.  Wanna call me casual?  Go ahead.  I play because I feel like it anyway.  I have no responsibility to go out of my comfort zone just to satisfy you.