If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh, the "even more" part does refer to how a "great mathematician" as cited by Nyktos would be even more impressive, but I'm saying that never mind extraordinary impressive, I'm not even as good as regular impressive.

Also drawing on a recent event/realization -- hence this very specific example.  I never actually planned to go in the direction of programming work for localization groups, fwiw -- it was just an example of someone who has their career together and is doing something interesting with it.

• edited 2014-08-14 11:06:29

It was still a thing relevant to topics you talk about to the point of being unsurprising, even if it's not your direction in life. I'm probably a little peeved at how people in general can get like that.

On that note, what kind of example would be unsurprising if I replied to Nyktos' post? I'm genuinely curious as to how predictable I'm getting.

Well I could have cited a number of celebrities in the performing arts world as well, who are also younger than me and have more accomplishments under their belt.  And a ton of other people.  Heck, I'm getting into the range of the youngest members of the U.S. House of Representatives now...

and...uh...well, based on your interests, maybe citing something like an director or animator for an anime studio?  I dunno.

• a little muffled

Achievement Unlocked: Legal Drinking Age. Which would be relevant if I actually drank.
    in theory you're not supposed to start drinking until you're already legal drinking age

you know

in theory

Incidentally, it's my birthday as well! I am now...American legal drinking age. Which would be relevant if I had any plans to go to the states in the next year.

• a little muffled

Naas_Human wrote:
    On that note, what kind of example would be unsurprising if I replied to Nyktos' post? I'm genuinely curious as to how predictable I'm getting.
    ultraman

• edited 2014-08-14 13:55:21

^ I would post a clapping reaction image if I had one and/or knew which one to use.

• edited 2014-08-14 15:50:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Also, happy birthday to Blueeyedrat and Nyktos.

^, ^^: also tokusatsu in general

• Would posting about some really infuriating thing that I've been seeing on Tumblr lately count as "importing drama?" I desperately want to vent about something, but I'm not sure I'd be able to do it without causing at least a minor shitstorm.

Go ahead and post it; just try to do it in a way that doesn't invite people over there to come here to comment.

• edited 2014-08-15 07:18:02

Would you look at that, yesterday I felt like modeling some kind of dessert, before I read those posts, so:

Happy Birthday!

(Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to render it yesterday. Frosting texture from sharecg.com)

• Kichigai birthday!!

Hola

hola

*nods respectfully*

• No rainbow star

A lot has happened to me in the past while!

Including becoming a moderator on a forum!

They still have no idea I'm secretly incompeteeeent

Congrats!

• edited 2014-08-22 05:08:08

Icalasari wrote:

CentralAvenueonIJBM.txt

y'know I saw a picture of Anna from Frozen in the supermarket today

[strike]she told me where the pot pies were[/strike]

and i thought of you

• There is love everywhere, I already know

There was an old Law & Order episode where Mr. Edward Cullen is murdered by his wife.

Twilight backstory y/n?

• edited 2014-08-22 09:33:14

and i thought of you

Yay!

I'm definitely more of an Anna than an Elsa, wouldn't you say?

And not just because she's a princess and not a queen.

• Hola

Muy buenos dias tenga usted.

Congratulations! (Maybe?)

• edited 2014-08-22 11:19:15

There was an old Law & Order episode where Mr. Edward Cullen is murdered by his wife.

Twilight backstory y/n?

me gotta see that

and i thought of you

Yay!

I'm definitely more of an Anna than an Elsa, wouldn't you say?

And not just because she's a princess and not a queen.

I uh...uh...haven't seen Frozen, sorry.

• No rainbow star

WHELP

I THINK I HAVE BECOME PART OF A REAL LIFE CREEPY PASTA

NOTHING like an exact duplicate of a .txt being made, with the one difference being that it gets "(Eric West's conflicted copy)" added to the end, it somehow being 0.09 KB bigger despite the notepad file itself being literally the exact same, character for character, and having a modified date of 2 hours prior to my laptop starting up, an upload time of an hour before my laptop started up (both those times I was working), and a created and accessed time of the exact time I logged on with my laptop

• ...how the hell do you add 90 bytes to a plain text file without adding any text? Some bizarre encoding thing?

• with the one difference being that it gets "(Eric West's conflicted copy)" added

I think he's saying that he did add text, just that it wasn't 90 bytes o text.

• No rainbow star

I had checked if editing the title like whatever this was added anything, and the amount added was so small that it didn't change the displayed size, so it wasn't that

• wait, did the "Eric West" bit get added to the file itself or just the file name?

• It is good to be surrounded by directionless adults everywhere I go, makes me feel right at home. 

• Do I really come off as a grumpy old man? Because I tend to feel like one...

• edited 2014-08-25 01:09:58

Someone else wrote this paragraph:

Savings from health benefits dwarf the estimated $14 billion cost of a cap-and-trade program. At the other end of the spectrum, a transportation policy with rigid fuel-economy requirements is the most expensive policy, costing more than $1 trillion in 2006 dollars, with health benefits recouping only a quarter of those costs. The price tag of a clean energy standard fell between the costs of the two other policies, with associated health benefits just edging out costs, at $247 billion versus $208 billion.

I read this paragraph and was like, wait, what's the amount estimate of the benefits?  I remembered this paragraph just to include a bunch of cost figures.  Then I had to read it a couple more times and was like, OH WAIT, it's buried in the last sentence, despite being half the focus of the entire paragraph.  All they do is describe it in words, when they are actually trying to compare numbers.  They're elaborately describing the comparison first, then finally giving me the numbers.  What?

My way of writing this paragraph: (assuming that savings from health benefits are a constant $247 billion)

Savings from health benefits total $247 million.  These would dwarf the $14 billion cost of a cap-and-trade program, just edges out the $208 billion cost of a clean energy standard, and is greatly exceeded by the $1 trillion cost of a transportation policy with rigid fuel-economy requirements.

(or something like this, even better)

Savings from health benefits total roughly a quarter of a trillion dollars.  This far exceeds the $14 billion cost of a cap-and-trade program, somewhat exceeds the $208 billion cost of a clean energy standard, and is greatly exceeded by the $1 trillion cost of a transportation policy with rigid fuel-economy requirements.

(note that only a minor change really is needed if the savings are not constant over three cases)

source: http://phys.org/news/2014-08-emissions.html

writer name not credited in article (that I could see); h/t to mctagg09 on TVTropes for picking out the article and reposting it on the "anthropogenic climate change" thread.

• No rainbow star

CA: Just the file name

Which makes the added data even more confusing

Sounds like there was some sort of synching conflict and this is the OS's default way of dealing with it.