If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

But -- putting on the devil's advocate hat -- then why not just get a handheld?

• a little muffled

that was the joke

• edited 2014-05-10 02:49:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, this was an interesting (and critical) read: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/04/sonic-the-hedgehog-how-fans-have-subverted-a-fallen-mascot

h/t to Yon Assassin at HH

• My arms are falling off!

The Wii is practically the perfect system for cheap gun game ports and new gun games. Just look at Sin & Punishment: Star Successor for example.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Did they ever make a Wii game that was simple enough to be played with the Nunchuck only? Just two buttons and the analog stick. Struck me as a curious idea.

• edited 2014-05-11 14:49:36

BIT.TRIP VOID

• edited 2014-05-12 05:43:41

"Where Final Fantasy Went Wrong, and How Square Enix is Putting it Right" - an interesting and quite lengthy assessment of the history of the entire FF series with special emphasis on its more recent successes and failures.  Contains (unexpectedly candid?) comments from FF series production veteran Yoshinori Kitase, including his thoughts on...well, what the series did right and wrong.  Also some stuff from FFXIII director Motomu Toriyama, and some others.

h/t to fatman at the Caves of Narshe for this find.

This actually kinda makes me want to play FFXIII -- with the thinking that it's meant to be a movie, rather than a game -- just to see what it's like.

Also, FFV's premise of mashing together "fantasy" and "reality" elements sounds really, really interesting.  I bet they made a point to include footage of guns as well as footage of a dragon, heh.

Also, the comment about a lot of series with 8-bit roots struggling to figure out the right path today was...something I didn't think about until it mentioned it.  I guess similar comments can be said of the Mega Man, Castlevania, Metroid, and Sonic franchises.  I was going to say Mario but I think Mario's been mostly saved by being very iconic and also doing all sorts of games outside his original signature specialty of platforming.  That said, while I probably wouldn't characterize Mario as significantly gaining ground (in part because it has a lot of market attention already), on the other hand, one ascendant series seems to be the Ys series, come to think of it.

• FFXIII is arguably worse as a movie since you barely learn anything about the world and it's primarily repetitive cutscenes with banal character interactions, like if the Tales Series skits were mandatory instead of side conversations.

As for Mario, the furthest he's ever been from his roots in the main series is Super Mario 64, which most people save for a vocal minority liked. And Nintendo re-introduced more of the original games' style with every subsequent 3D game. I think the primary complaint with him currently is oversaturation of New Super Mario Bros games (which I haven't played much, so I can't tell you how legitimate the criticism is).

Sonic's speed was more of a gimmick than anything in the 2D games, especially the first game in which Labyrinth Zone made his momentum work against you. That made distinguishing him from other series challenging. I think the closest he ever got to his own style started with Sonic Unleashed's day stages. However, I have only seen the awesome-looking gameplay videos, so my opinion may change if I get around to playing those games.

• banal character interactions, like if the Tales Series skits were mandatory instead of side conversations.

This doesn't sound like a bad thing.  In basically every JRPG I've ever played, the actual plot was mostly a waste of time and the actually entertaining story bits are stuff like that.

• edited 2015-10-09 08:08:02

[user deleted]

• This doesn't sound like a bad thing. In basically every JRPG I've ever played, the actual plot was mostly a waste of time and the actually entertaining story bits are stuff like that.

Okay, then imagine if they were also devoid of charm. The Tales skits worked because they were just fun side conversations that allowed you to get to know the characters better. But the characters in Final Fantasy XIII don't just randomly talk about the weather. It's serious business with mostly flat characters.

• edited 2014-05-12 21:29:03

Kraken wrote:

I feel like Final Fantasy's longevity is a weakness.

Because when I look at one of its titles in passing, I have no idea which one you folks are referring to. It's just a number. It evokes nothing in me. I always have to check which one you folks are talking about to get the associated images, and what each game is associated with.

If there were more sub-titles, like...I dunno. Final Fantasy 555. Final Fantasy OOO. Final Fantasy W. Just clear identification markers that separate each series from others.

Well, I can't rename them unilaterally, but I can help with this:

FF 1, 2, 3: NES games.  Only 1 came out in English (until much later).  1 has the "Light Warriors", 2 has an attempt at more complex plot (along with a shitty gameplay system), and 3 has "onion kids".  All three are sort of generic swords-and-sorcery fantasy.

FF Legend 1, 2, 3: Game Boy games.  Not actually FF games; they're SaGa games.

FF Adventure: another GB game.  Also not actually an FF game; it's a Mana game (Seiken Densetsu 1).

FF 4, 5, 6: SNES games.  4, and 6 came out in English, numbered 2 and 3 (5 came out later).  These games start to have unique fantasy worlds written for them.  4 came out many, many times, and has The After Years sequel.  6 is broadly beloved by the fanbase, especially older fans (has stuff like Kefka and his insanity, as well as the opera involving Celes).

FF Mystic Quest: an "easy" SNES RPG made to introduce the west to JRPGs, in place of localizing FF5.  Not very well regarded.

FF 7, 8, 9: PS1 games, in 3D (and off Nintendo) for the first time.  7 is by far the most famous entry in the series, and has Cloud, Sephiroth, and Aeris, as well as continued steampunk influences; got sequels/prequels/spinoffs.  Unique worlds (no more generic fantasy) from here on forward, as well as strong emphasis on presenting story.  8 is known for the love story between Squall and Rinoa, as well as much love from newer fans and hate from older ones.  9 is sort of a "neoclassical" FF more reminiscent of the earlier games.

FF Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics A2: strategy RPGs for PS1, GBA, and DS, respectively.  FFT is considered very good.

FF 10, 11, 12: PS2 games.  10 got its own sequels for the first time (7 later got sequels too).  11 is an MMORPG, which is sort of weird.  12 apparently introduced real-time battling.

FF 13, 14: PS3 games (I think).  That article talks a lot about 13, and how it was somewhat of a failure.  Like 10, 13 also has sequels.  14 is another MMORPG, and was a miserable failure at launch, then later rebooted to apparently a lot of success.

other stuff: a movie called "The Spirits Within", which looked even more gorgeous but was not worth its cost.  a DS game called "the Four Heroes of Light", which I am mostly unfamiliar with.  also two anime series.  and some spinoff games such as fighting game Dissidia and crossovers with Mystery Dungeon.

TL;DR: basically, everything 6 and before is 2D and looks like your stereotypical western conception of a retro JRPG, and everything 7 and beyond (except the Tactics subseries) is 3D and looks gorgeous.  (Or at least it did when it first came out...lol @ 7's cube hands.)

• edited 2015-10-09 08:08:12

[user deleted]

• They're somethin' else.

Are you talking about that Pat R. guy?

• edited 2015-10-09 08:08:25

[user deleted]

• edited 2015-10-09 08:08:29

[user deleted]

I like his sense of humor, mostly because I get a good amount of his fighting game references (Damn rare to see someone like Fighting Games and RPGs, two polar opposites if there ever were any, on equal fronts).

argh why did you post that while I had a final paper to work on I mean that is a very, very interesting site that I've now read about half of.

• edited 2014-05-13 14:48:05

I used to like him, then I realized he has a huge nostalgia bias. He consistently excuses FFIV's plotting issues as a product of the time while giving little slack to any future games. Also, his FFXII review for the most part is about how cool the features are and actually makes it sound fun, but he concludes that the game sucks ass. In fact, it often feels like he's struggling not to have fun with FFX and FFXII.

• edited 2014-05-15 05:06:48

In other news, though, Timewalk has shut down.

They were a company that made game cartridges (e.g. for NES, SNES) containing translated games and ROM hacks.  In their time, apparently they even made golden DuckTales NES cartridges for Capcom.

I only found out about them like last year.  Sad news.

?!

WHAT?!

Anyone know what's a reasonable price (in USD) for a used N64?

So I grew up with SNES JRPGs and thus I'm used to the bottom button being "cancel" or "exit menu" of some sort.

I never really got much into the PS1, so nowadays when you present to me a button scheme where bottom = accept/choose, it trips me up.  Well, I guess I just haven't actually played a game where this was a thing.  I guess there was CvSotN but I played that on PC emulator (despite owning a system and an official copy of the game, yes).

I wonder if there's a generation of people here in the west who grew up on PS1 JRPGs and are used to the bottom button being "accept", and would find it odd if that got remapped to "cancel".  It seems there might be.

Oh well.  I guess there are people like me on the other side of the coin.

I have no gaming-capable PC at the moment.

My current laptop has a burnt GPU, which explains why Touhou Kishinjou ~ Double Dealing Character runs at a pathetic 45 FPS. Additionally, it's also quite prone to overheating on some games--Hellsinker worked just fine when I tested a replay on it, but FTL: Advanced Edition is a definite no-go.

This makes me sad because I won't be able to play Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION when it gets released next week.

Why is FTL so resource-intensive anyway?

Fuck knows. It causes my GPU to spike to water boiling point for whatever reason, and that's while I'm in ship select.

• Are VSYNC and/or the frame limiter off.

VSync is off because it's lag central for me anyway. Frame limiter is on.

I think it won't matter anyway, as my laptop will overheat on some other occasions, like running Flash applets. (Which is why I'm glad SoundCloud and My Cloud Player use the less intensive-seeming HTML5.)

• Alrighties, Imma give the Four Job Fiesta a try. Sounds like it could be fun.