If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

'D' grade

edited 2014-05-18 07:12:07 in General
My arms are falling off!

This is, by definition, a "passing" grade in some instutions.

Which is a lie, because no institution I've been in accepts a D as a passing grade, not even a D+. Really, it's just a "haha you were to close to properly pasing the course" grade.

It may as well be called 'F+'.

Comments

• > using letters as grades

• a little muffled

I don't really understand how Murrica works here, but a D is certainly a passing grade around these parts.

• My arms are falling off!

At my uni, classes require a C or C- or higher to be used as prerequisites for other classes, as well as to graduate. Anything below C- basically means "please retake".

• edited 2014-05-18 10:20:50

At the colleges I've gone to, at least, a D is considered "passing" but is essentially worthless--you need a C or higher for the course to satisfy a prerequisite, or for the credit to transfer to any other school...

So, yeah, what the OP said.

EDIT: whoa, ninja'd

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

When I was an undergrad, a D was considered passing.

Now, as a grad student, a C is considered semi-failing, and D doesn't even exist.

• a little muffled

At my uni, classes require a C or C- or higher to be used as prerequisites for other classes, as well as to graduate. Anything below C- basically means "please retake".
    That's bizarre to me. At my school you're not even allowed to retake a course you've passed...

• There are unis where a D counts as passing? It's always seemed to me like and F is "did you even try" and D is "okay you tried, just nowhere near hard enough you failure".

• edited 2014-05-18 23:03:36
    My arms are falling off!

You are allowed to retake, but you have to go through some rather annoying things like late registration (you can't advance-register for a class you've taken already, pass or otherwise), which means it may take a week or two to get the class if it's full. Your only solace is if you have a "graduating senior" card, which gives you top adding priority...if other people adding late aren't also graduating seniors.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Here it works like this: A D will be a passing grade if and only if the class is basic. If the class is a fundamental for my major, a D is just an F.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Over here the scale is A, B, C+, C, C- (minimum required to pass, 50% or higher), I(ncomplete), F (an 'I' left hanging for too long).

• a little muffled

Here a 50 is a D- and that's the minimum passing mark. Once you've passed a course the actual mark doesn't matter aside from affecting your GPA.

All of your guys's systems seem oddly complicated by comparison.

• edited 2014-05-19 00:01:53

Now, as a grad student, a C is considered semi-failing, and D doesn't even exist. 

Still, grade inflation is a thing, so A and B grades get given out like candy. Not sure if it's the same case in your school.

• My arms are falling off!

Considering I'm just clearing courses by the skin of my teeth, fuck grad school, I'm not strong enough for that.

• I'm glad we have numbers over here, I'm quite uncomfortable with teachers giving their students the D.

• edited 2014-05-19 07:18:05
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Is this some sexual allusion that I don't grasp? (Edit: this reminds me, local colloquial expression for an F-grade may be used for those, but that's not related to which symbols we use.)

• I'm glad we have numbers over here, I'm quite uncomfortable with teachers giving their students the D.

god damn you i laughed

that meme seems to be absolutely nothing more than a simple coincidence yet i can't even fathom how it became a meme

• I've rarely seen it outside Tumblr myself...and trying to explain why Tumblr thinks things are funny is a fool's errand.

• OMG WHAT IS AIR OMG       murder tumblr

^