If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Are social cliques inherently a bad thing?

edited 2014-04-24 06:34:56 in General
My arms are falling off!

Sometimes I wonder if circles of friends coming off as cliques is a necessary thing, e.g. to keep out people who may turn out to be bad friends and people who are creepy or hostile.

Comments

• >cliqueishness

>protecting against bad, creepy or hostile people instead of insulating their behaviour

It's just a thing people do. Wanting to do something about it would be like rallying against human stupidity or conformity. 

• I hate the word "clique". It looks shitty.

What you need to do is make multiple circles of friends. So you can move between them at will.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

to keep out people who may turn out to be bad friends and people who are creepy or hostile.

Don't you have to be really paranoid to decide that with all the crazy people out there you better just be friends with only the same four people forever?

To me, the word "clique" sounds cute but mean. Like a koala.

• edited 2014-04-24 10:57:50
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

To me, it makes me think of warlord-era China. Don't ask. Paradox games. 

edit: well, to say something less inconstructive, I wonder how inevitable they are. I was about to say they are, but it got me thinking if their appearance can't be stymied or at least their influence manipulated by consciously applied external conditions. You know, like the teacher doing the teaching some particular way over another, leading to the kids getting more uniformly integrated. Meh. I'm rambling.

• edited 2014-04-24 14:04:03
    My arms are falling off!

Some people just want to take precaution, especially after bad experiences with those they're not very familiar with, e.g. at fan conventions where creeper potential runs high.

I don't like being excluded from a circle of friends I want to be a part of myself, but if I'm being excluded I imagine there's a good reason for it (and I should find other friends anyway).